Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wrap the barrel in bacon, you'll know when its too hot.

can anyone find pics of tank fried bacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Why are water-cooled machine guns completely gone? For fixed positions it seems like they would be better.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

david_a posted:

Why are water-cooled machine guns completely gone? For fixed positions it seems like they would be better.

My guess would be that .50 cal machine guns are better than Maxims and weigh only about 10kg more with tripod.

e: How long does it take to change M2 Machine Gun's barrel if it gets too hot? And for how long do you have to shoot with it to make the barrel too hot?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 29, 2017

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

david_a posted:

Sustained fire over such long stretches doesn't really fit anymore. They're very bulky and heavy and have a set up time longer than an air-cooled machinegun, making them ill suited for more mobile warfare.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hogge Wild posted:

My guess would be that .50 cal machine guns are better than Maxims and weigh only about 10kg more with tripod.

e: How long does it take to change M2 Machine Gun's barrel if it gets too hot? And for how long do you have to shoot with it to make the barrel too hot?

Changing an M2 barrel is about a 30 second process or so, you just unscrew it, pull it out and screw a fresh one in. With the heavy barrels they use now, IIRC there isn't a need to do combat swaps for the barrels like you would for a 240 or 249.

Edit: Take that with a grain of salt though, it's been a couple of years since I got to play around with .50s.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hogge Wild posted:

Weight is a big factor, yeah. Its also easier to simply change the barrel than needing a constant supply of water.

As for your edit, there's a video of a guy changing a MA DEUCE barrel in under 20 seconds, but I haven't watched it yet and I don't know how proficient he is with it.

My MG-34 is a bitch and hates going through the barrel-changing motions, but if it took me more than a minute I'd be surprised.

As for how long you have to shoot it before it gets too hot, not sure.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

The Lone Badger posted:

Stupid machinegun question: How do the operators know when it's too hot and they need to change the barrel? Do they just keep mental track of how many belts they've fired in the last fifteen minutes? Is there a little pop-up indicator? Does the loader have one of those infrared thermometers to point at the barrel?

It is indeed just a matter of tracking how many times you reloaded/belts expended, and changing the barrel every X reloads most of the time.

david_a posted:

They are gone simply because they are not very man portable, so if you want something to go with a squad on foot you want something lighter, and if you're going to carry it on a vehicle you can carry something with more punch than a rifle caliber machinegun.
Water cooled guns still exist for anti-air autocannons, where you need very high rates of fire and very long bursts of fire, air cooling will not cut it.

Thump! posted:

Changing an M2 barrel is about a 30 second process or so, you just unscrew it, pull it out and screw a fresh one in. With the heavy barrels they use now, IIRC there isn't a need to do combat swaps for the barrels like you would for a 240 or 249.

Edit: Take that with a grain of salt though, it's been a couple of years since I got to play around with .50s.

That quick change barrel is relatively recent, they used not to be terribly field swappable, the older guns had to be headspaced after a barrel change. The M2A1 added that quick swap capability less that 10 years ago.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A more stupid MG question: are M2s still in production? I once read somewhere that we're still riding WW2 stocks.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
IIRC most of the M2s got uptaded to M2A1 recently, and yes it is still in production, it is sold internationally to basically every Western country.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kafouille posted:

Water cooled guns still exist for anti-air autocannons, where you need very high rates of fire and very long bursts of fire, air cooling will not cut it.
I've found references to those but no pictures of a modern one.

The closest thing I've found are WW2 AA machine guns:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

JcDent posted:

A more stupid MG question: are M2s still in production? I once read somewhere that we're still riding WW2 stocks.

They are still making new production M2A1s, as far as I know. But they're mostly upgrading existing M2s. However, there are guns in service still from WW2 and even older, with one of the oldest being something like 90 years old.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

They are still making new production M2A1s, as far as I know. But they're mostly upgrading existing M2s. However, there are guns in service still from WW2 and even older, with one of the oldest being something like 90 years old.

It kinda fucks my mind how something made almost a century ago is still in use and is still as effective as the day it was produced...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Water-cooled systems make more sense when weight is less of a factor than it is for infantry mobility:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wrap the barrel in bacon, you'll know when its too hot.

The Ted Cruz method.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Doesn't hold a candle to Chicken Cheese with Diesel

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=25431#post409791801

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Kafouille posted:

It is indeed just a matter of tracking how many times you reloaded/belts expended, and changing the barrel every X reloads most of the time.

What do you do with the spare now burning hot barrel, find a safe place in the grass to stick it and hope you remember it later?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Thump! posted:

Changing an M2 barrel is about a 30 second process or so, you just unscrew it, pull it out and screw a fresh one in.

Don't you have to headspace it afterwards?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Flappy Bert posted:

What do you do with the spare now burning hot barrel, find a safe place in the grass to stick it and hope you remember it later?

Depends on the time, place, and nation, but usually you have some form of canvas sack, leather container, asbestos pouch that you could put it in or on, or just leave it on the ground to cool off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Don't you have to headspace it afterwards?

Not on the M2A1.

A good and relatively recent upgrade. I'm betting you still have to headspace it in non-combat environments out of an abundance of caution and because old fogeys from before the upgrade write the safety regs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Greggster posted:

It kinda fucks my mind how something made almost a century ago is still in use and is still as effective as the day it was produced...

IIRC they replaced the M2HB on American vehicles at one point, then next upgrade cycle they changed back because the replacement turned out to be inferior.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
For about 20 years, every pom cycle the army would list into replacement or heavy crew served weapon as required capability upgrade. Industry would try and create something and it would be tested and it always ended up not just making the upgrade requirements, but in most cases being inferior to the M2. I think they finally gave up on the most recent cycle and have just conceded the M2 will live forever.

I am guessing eventually someone will come up with some sort of crew served weapon that can deliver guided rounds and targeted high explosive in a cost-efficient manner but no one has yet

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Greggster posted:

Welcome to mature technology. It's likely that the B-52 will end up in service for 100 years. The AK-47 has been around for 70 years. Pretty much every modern airliner owes its shape more or less to a design that's 63 years old at this point. For these kinds of technologies there simply isn't that much improvement to be made over the basic design - revolutionary designs past that point tend to run cost-prohibitive like supersonic transports and/or have big problems that offset their advantages like caseless ammunition.

bewbies posted:

For about 20 years, every pom cycle the army would list into replacement or heavy crew served weapon as required capability upgrade. Industry would try and create something and it would be tested and it always ended up not just making the upgrade requirements, but in most cases being inferior to the M2. I think they finally gave up on the most recent cycle and have just conceded the M2 will live forever.

I am guessing eventually someone will come up with some sort of crew served weapon that can deliver guided rounds and targeted high explosive in a cost-efficient manner but no one has yet

Would that even replace the M2? It's not like the US military doesn't already use Mark-19's and M2s at the same time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What level are machine guns at in the modern US military? I know that you have SAWs at the platoon (?) level, but where are the M2 gunners, and where and how are they deployed?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Welcome to mature technology. It's likely that the B-52 will end up in service for 100 years. The AK-47 has been around for 70 years. Pretty much every modern airliner owes its shape more or less to a design that's 63 years old at this point. For these kinds of technologies there simply isn't that much improvement to be made over the basic design - revolutionary designs past that point tend to run cost-prohibitive like supersonic transports and/or have big problems that offset their advantages like caseless ammunition.

Would that even replace the M2? It's not like the US military doesn't already use Mark-19's and M2s at the same time.

The AK-47 was replaced several times over. IIRC the most recent AK Adesigns share nothing with the original, but they retain the shape for the sake of the brand.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zoux posted:

What level are machine guns at in the modern US military? I know that you have SAWs at the platoon (?) level, but where are the M2 gunners, and where and how are they deployed?

I don't think you're going to run into dismounted heavy machine guns before the heavy weapons company, which is a battalion-level asset.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

zoux posted:

heavy machine guns are in an infantry battalion's weapons co with 81/120mm mortars, and tows/javalins.

medium machine guns are in an infantry company's weapons platoon with 60mm mortars and smaws/javalins(for the marines). the medium machine guns and smaws/javs support the line platoons directly.

in the marines, some of the machineguns and tows/javs from weapons form a combined anti armor team(caat) for anti-armor duties, screening the battalion or to provide qrf(depends on what type of war is being fought) and some are tasked out to the line company's to provide direct support.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought SAWs, the clue being in the name, were deployed at the squad level, being what the automatic rifleman would carry. AFAIK they fill the same role as the Bren/BAR while the M240 is more like the .30 cal thing the Americans used in WW2 that I can never remember the designation for, as it fires a full size rifle round.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 29, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

People who know infantry have already posted, but basically any old vehicle is the wildcard of "that poo poo might have an M2/M240 on it" when it comes to the US military. And SAWs get issued to POG units.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In the US Army, M249s are (were? Have they replaced them yet?) assigned at the fire team level, which means each squad gets at least two SAWs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

In the US Army, M249s are (were? Have they replaced them yet?) assigned at the fire team level, which means each squad gets at least two SAWs.

How many guys in a squad? And it's five squads to a platoon right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zoux posted:

How many guys in a squad?

About a dozen. Fireteam is four people ideally so a nominal strength squad is three teams of four and the squad leader.

For America at least, everyone kind of does it differently. The UK operates on a two-team section with three sections in a platoon.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 29, 2017

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Flappy Bert posted:

That would one of the jobs of the assistant gunner, and yeah you'd stick them near the gun until they have cooled enough to be put back in either the gun or your pack.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

zoux posted:

How many guys in a squad? And it's five squads to a platoon right?

US is (mostly) on the triangle system. Three fire teams in a squad. Three squads in a platoon. Three line platoons in a company. Three line companies in a battalion. Three battalions in a regiment. All sorts of extra specialized things added on like the battalion weapons company

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So a platoon is going to have six SAW gunners? drat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

The AK-47 was replaced several times over. IIRC the most recent AK Adesigns share nothing with the original, but they retain the shape for the sake of the brand.

In terms of basic operation, the latest AKs are basically the same as the 1947 design. Other than furniture, the changes are mostly small ones like adding or removing holes or cuts or putting rivets in different spots. I think the first AK-74 prototypes were even just caliber conversions of the AKM design.

The M1911 is another timeless design. Browning's slide design pretty much set the standard for pistols for the foreseeable future and the design has passed 100 years old with no sign of dropping popularity. Evidence has even found guns with original M1911 parts from World War I being used all the way through Desert Storm, as the guns in service by that point were a mishmash of different manufacturers and years put together into working pistols.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zoux posted:

So a platoon is going to have six SAW gunners? drat.

Nine, assuming optimal strength.

Unless, I guess, one of your fireteams is carrying light anti tank instead of their automatic rifle or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

The M1911 is another timeless design. Browning's slide design pretty much set the standard for pistols for the foreseeable future and the design has passed 100 years old with no sign of dropping popularity. Evidence has even found guns with original M1911 parts from World War I being used all the way through Desert Storm, as the guns in service by that point were a mishmash of different manufacturers and years put together into working pistols.

John Browning was a smart, smart man. The Hi-Power is still in active production (by seven different companies) and is in regular service with first-world military and police forces, the short-recoil action is almost universal in semiautomatic handguns, the Winchester 94 in .30-30 has probably taken more deer in the USA than all other calibers combined, his semiautomatic shotgun was in production for 100 years starting in 1898 and sold millions of units. I don't think there's a category of firearms he wasn't hugely influential on except revolvers.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm doing some other stuff this weekend and I have the TV on to TCM, it's their memorial weekend war movie marathon. Talking about accuracy in "Where Eagles Dare": Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood survey the Fortress-schloss that they have to break into; then a helicopter flies overhead and lands there.

The German heavy exits the helicopter, and the top German is all "it looks dangerous." German Heavy is all "not so bad".

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Stupid machinegun question: How do the operators know when it's too hot and they need to change the barrel? Do they just keep mental track of how many belts they've fired in the last fifteen minutes? Is there a little pop-up indicator? Does the loader have one of those infrared thermometers to point at the barrel?

They just feel it I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Phanatic posted:

John Browning was a smart, smart man. The Hi-Power is still in active production (by seven different companies) and is in regular service with first-world military and police forces, the short-recoil action is almost universal in semiautomatic handguns, the Winchester 94 in .30-30 has probably taken more deer in the USA than all other calibers combined, his semiautomatic shotgun was in production for 100 years starting in 1898 and sold millions of units. I don't think there's a category of firearms he wasn't hugely influential on except revolvers.

John Browning was extremely influential on revolvers, in that no military bothers using them anymore :v: