Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
https://twitter.com/enricjardi/status/867109747111190529

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

David Rowe:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

skeleton warrior posted:

Herbert Block, (1909 - 2001)

:neckbeard:

That was an epic post. This cartoon about Watergate seems like I've seen it recently. Did someone do a Trump version? If not someone should.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jurgan posted:

Did anyone else think Herblock's McCarthy looked like a stereotypical drunken Irishman? Granted, McCarthy was a drunken (part)Irishman.

He was also a morphine addict, which was hushed up at the time.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010
Caught this and well it might be amateurish this thread's standards are not exactly high.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

They're gonna start making out in a minute

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Internet Webguy posted:

They're gonna start making out in a minute

I would watch that romance movie day 1 in theatres.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There really ought to be movies (plural) about LGBTQ veterans.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Great Herblock post. I'd add that he was also pretty sharp on civil rights and racism.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

My god, Garrison comparing himself to Herblock appears more and more unhinged the more I learn of Herblock.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Two long comics today:

Erik Thurman on what's going on in the Philippines.[/ulr] (hint: it ain't pretty)

Lucy Bellwood and Sarah Mirk on [url=https://thenib.com/what-does-wonder-woman-actually-represent?t=default]what Wonder Woman means.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Crazycryodude posted:

Call me fake news but I'm pretty sure most of those "facts" aren't actually a thing

I think the Princeton one is true. I remember from an older article that Yale, at least, was something like a quarter Jewish? As only two percent of the population, they tend to be over-represented in a lot of things because they can often pass for white and thus free from a lot of the overt racism that kept more odviously-not-wasps out. Jews still face many problems in society and many of the tools used today to disparage POCs were pioneered against Jews and Catholics.

Everything else is bullshit, because I can guarantee you Jews did not make up 80% of the soviet government.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I love it when political cartoonists show such stylized outright contempt like herblock. Ben Sargent does contempt similarly well.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Bolling, please.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

No Memorial Day cartoon from Tinsley?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

No Memorial Day cartoon from Tinsley?

Visnu help me, I don't disagree with Drinky Duck. I hate the pervasiveness of "going forward" and "moving forward".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Technowolf posted:

Erik Thurman on what's going on in the Philippines. (hint: it ain't pretty)

Lucy Bellwood and Sarah Mirk on what Wonder Woman means.

Fixed

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks. I was rushing trying to get the post out before I went into work today.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Uh, wasn't he paroled a year or so ago?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Stultus Maximus posted:

he can't leave the us for some time i think

i guess the us is a monster cat

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Under the terms of his release, Pollard must remain on parole for one year, and within the United States for a minimum of five years. His whereabouts and computer usage will be electronically monitored, and press interviews and internet communications are forbidden."

from wikipedia

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
[Herblock Stuff]

Is Herblock the one who drew the MLK cartoon that receieved the Bennett's crazy reader treatment?

Edit: Nope. Found it.

It was Charles Brooks.

Capt. Sticl fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 29, 2017

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Garfield going after traitors!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like that Lester has adopted "fat, ignorant rear end in a top hat" as his American Everyman. Pretty soon he's going to be drawing his Everyman beating his wife just to really round things out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Visnu help me, I don't disagree with Drinky Duck. I hate the pervasiveness of "going forward" and "moving forward".

"grumpy old man" is sometimes acceptable, it's the "alcoholic racist" that's the problem.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Capt. Sticl posted:

[Herblock Stuff]

Is Herblock the one who drew the MLK cartoon that receieved the Bennett's crazy reader treatment?

It was Charles Brooks.

Hah, yeah, I was initially thinking that as well; skeleton warrior wasn't kidding when they said his art style was pretty generic for the time.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

What meeting? Who is this with? What is this for? Didn't the duck get fired years ago?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
iirc it's more that everyone else in the field rushed to imitate Herblock. He was responsible for the move to simpler style, away from complex full compositions with shading.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The drinky duck is hallucinating again, someone give him a beer.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

D.N. Nation posted:

What meeting? Who is this with? What is this for? Didn't the duck get fired years ago?

Ever since his firing he spends all his days in a darkened room watching the recordings of old meetings on a laptop. If he tries really hard it almost feels like he still has a job there

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the race for No 10 – Jeremy Corbyn has dramatically cut Theresa May’s previously commanding lead in approval ratings among voters, according to the latest Opinium/Observer poll"

Independent:

Diane Abbott: My views on IRA, like my hair, have changed

Times:

David Squires:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I love me a Batman Returns reference

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Capt. Sticl posted:

[Herblock Stuff]

It was Charles Brooks.

I know cursive but I can't understand what the hell the person is saying with that handwriting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

seiferguy posted:

I know cursive but I can't understand what the hell the person is saying with that handwriting.

"How can you, a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ, be such a deceitful hypocrite? You're not fooling anyone but your"

I can read the top row, but after that I am having real difficulty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

seiferguy posted:

quote:

How can you, a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ, be such a deceitful hypocrite? You're not fooling anyone but yourself in your nauseating talk about non-violence.

You demand a program to overcome poverty and "flow in" untold amounts in your high horse and running all over the globe to feed your own egotism.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanks! Was the content that someone mailed this to MLK with this note? I thought it was a letter to the editor but it doesn't seem like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there anyone more influential on the form than Herblock? Nast?

• Locked thread