Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

IN A SHATTERED WORLD: 09/16/2030, 18:00

♪ BGM: Abyss

About why they couldn't disarm it, and why the lockdown timer was off. And how at this rate, everyone would die in the explosion--!

You can't be serious...!

The news shook up Natsuhiko's group. They all began to speak with quivering voices.

So you're saying we'll all die if we stay here!?
Th-then we've gotta think of a way to get out of here right now!
D-don't be ridiculous... We searched the place for six hours and found nothing...!

Salyu fell silent at the questioning. Ena was quite right. There was no plausible way they could conveniently find a new exit route this late in the game.

(... But still, we need to do something...)

The time was ''6:02 PM''. Only 15 minutes left until the bomb went off. Yuuri spoke fearfully to Natsuhiko.

H-Hikorin... What do we do...
...At any rate, we'll all die if we stay here. Let's at least evacuate to a slightly safer place.
A safer place?
The bomb's been planted in Area Zero. I can't predict how the explosion's blast will spread-- But if we go as far as we can from the blast radius-- in other words, right outside the emergency staircase bulkhead in Area 2-- we should be able to increase our chances of survival just a little.
Do you think we'll survive if we go there...?
I don't know... but it's the best bet we've got.

He couldn't think of any other options. Ena spoke to Jun in a pained voice.

Ms. Moribe... Staying here means certain death. Let's go.

Jun still hadn't moved away from Watase's and Kazami's corpses. She didn't answer Ena's call.

Ms. Moribe! Help out! I can't move two injured people by myself!
...No.
...!

Ena walked briskly towards Jun, and grabbed her by the neck.

What do you mean 'no'!? You're a rescue worker, aren't you!? Are you abandoning your duty!?
What...? I just lost two precious people. I'm the only one left on the squad now... And you're still fussing over my 'duty'...? What the hell are you talking about? Rescue workers are people too, you know...? Are you saying we don't deserve to mourn?
Cut the chatter! I've lost two of my coworkers here too! But I never let that stop me, and I've gotten this far!
So just shut up and help! Or if you want, I can kill you right here, right now!

Ena's voice was steeped in sadness. After hearing all that, Jun finally nodded reluctantly...

The time was ''6:08 PM''. Only nine minutes left until the explosion. They endured their fear and waited for that moment. The mind-crushing silence was eventually shattered when Jun broke the ice.

...Natsuhiko.
Huh...?
You should've been able to erase Sis' malice with BC, right...?
Y... y-yes.
...Why didn't you...?

Jun slowly sidled up to him. Her eyes were filled with rage.

You just let Sis and the Captain and Mr. Ukita... all die... when you could've stopped it...?
N-no...
That's not it! It was a difficult task in that situation!
That's right, Jun! Above all else, what Natsuhiko wanted was--
I understand that... I just wanted to know... What Natsuhiko was intending to do... Why he held off on using BC...

Jun got right up into Natsuhiko's face. Right as Natsuhiko's heart froze from the piercing stare--

A thunderous roar suddenly rose up from beneath him.

!! (H-here it comes!)

For a second, Natsuhiko's body shook. But then, something covered him. It was Jun. Jun embraced Natsuhiko and Yuuri to cover them. In the corner of his vision, he saw Ena covering Mashiro and Salyu. The moment the six of them became a single lump-- A scorching explosive blast rushed into the emergency stairwell.

Natsuhiko desperately embraced Yuuri. An intense heat and shock enveloped his back--

--
----
--He could hear a sound echoing from somewhere.

Ugh... ughh...

Natsuhiko's consciousness was in a shattered world. Sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch... all of his senses had been ravaged. He couldn't see anything even if he opened his eyes. But his nose filled with a burning stench-- And the stench of blood.

Ah... ugh, ah...!

Natsuhiko tried calling everyone's names. But his voice wouldn't come out. Only an unintelligible groan. He reluctantly mustered his strength to send telepathy.

{... G-guys... Are... you... a...live...?}

He heard groans here and there as if in reply.

A...gh...
...Ghh...
...ye...ah...

There were no other responses. He didn't hear Ena or Jun.

...ugh... ah...

Natsuhiko tried using his voice once again, but something else came out of his throat.

Something was piercing his chest. He tried to take it out, but his body wouldn't move. He could no longer move even a finger.

{P... Profess...sor... ...J-Jun...}

He could no longer even maintain the concentration to use telepathy. And at the same time-- He heard the sound of people rushing towards them.

???: Stay on your guard, men! We don't know what happened in there! Report in as soon as you've confirmed the situation!

In his fading consciousness, Natsuhiko thought to himself.

(Security... Sector... 6...)

Ominous voices echoed in his ears.

???: Survivors! There's-- a few survivors here!
???: Take them into custody for now!

--That was the last thing Natsuhiko heard.

...we'll do better next time.

...yeah, we actually will - as you can see from the game over, the correct choice here is to favor neither - or rather, to favor *both*. So that still leaves favoring Kazami with another bad end... and yeah, it seems like it's that way. Having Kazami's Sense high and Watase's low is supposed to lead to Root D Bad Ending #5, ''The Vanquished Loyalist'', which I assume revolves around wiping Kazami's memory... but I can't loving get it to work. It just throws me into ''-3'', then ''IN A SHATTERED WORLD'', and leaves me with Rood D Bad Ending #6, ''The Wavering Enthusiast'', which is the bad ending for favoring Watase. I feel like I'm missing something, but all walkthroughs I read just make it seem like there's no prerequisites for this bad ending, you just need to have Kazami's Sense high and Watase's low at that one decision point, which I've done. I just don't get it.

So for now, we're going to move on with the correct decision. I'll work something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I figured it out... I think.

I think what I worked out is that this was not the ending we were supposed to see. We were supposed to see the other one, and this one was supposed to be the one for favoring Kazami! Something - I think it was our decision not to erase Watase's memories at the end during ''Partner'' - made it impossible for Natsuhiko to come to the decision he comes to in this other ending, which is, as you might have guessed, erasing Kazami's memories. So that choice way back when locked us out of this bad end and just threw us into the other bad end instead.

EDIT:

Also, I made another thing. I'm slowly getting better at this "graphics editing" thing.

EDIT AGAIN:

Went and replaced all the video links in the LP with these new image links. I think they look neat.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 28, 2017

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
I do think it says something about this whole system that you can get the opposite result from the choice you made and not notice until you're trying to get the other result.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Zakrelo posted:

I do think it says something about this whole system that you can get the opposite result from the choice you made and not notice until you're trying to get the other result.

Eh, not that hard in this case unless you're blinded by confirmation bias. From reading the previous scene, not hard to tell that Watase choice is a memory wipe.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ERASE: 09/16/2030, 17:53

Alright, so I kind of figured out what the problem was. Basically, I ran through Route Double again, making all the ''wrong'' decisions (deciding to erase Watase's memory when he tries to take Yuuri away, not going in for the deep mind probes), and now things are working out correctly. From what I understand, some decision we made (probably the part about erasing Watase's memory) locked us out from accessing this bad end and instead just put us on the other bad end, the one where we favor Kazami. So this is the bad end you voted for.

Also, my Enneagram totally looks like a mushroom.

Natsuhiko steeled his resolve. He gripped Yuuri's hand and dove into Kazami's mind.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Countless memories flickered through the void. Memories of hatred, teeming with malice.

(This is all I can do...! Please let this put a stop to it!)

Natsuhiko focused his BC one last time, in an attempt to erase Kazami's malice. And that moment--

{Gah... agh...!}

Natsuhiko could feel Kazami's pain. ...As he endured her suffering, he thought to himself.

(... I had no other choice...!)

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Kazami slowly collapsed to the floor. Like a marionette whose strings had been cut.

!? Kazami!?
Sis!

Watase and Jun gasped and ran over to Kazami. It appeared she was unconscious. Watase shook her awake.

Kazami! Kazami!

Shortly afterwards, as if in response to his voice--

... Ugh...

Kazami groaned and opened her eyes.

Kazami!
Are you okay, Sis!?

Watase held Kazami in his arms. But a befuddled look crossed her face when she saw Watase.

Huh... what...? Who... are you two...?
...Huh?

Watase and Jun's faces froze over when they heard that.

...Don't tell me...

Watase glared at Natsuhiko, then shouted.

Natsuhiko! You erased Kazami's memories--!?
...Yes. I took out Ms. Tachibana's memories. I don't know how many of them are gone... But I'd say she's probably in the exact same state you were in right after you got amnesia.
What!? Do you even realize what you've just done!?
Failure was not an option! Both your life and Ms. Tachibana's were at stake, you know!? It was the only way I could defuse the situation!

Watase fell quiet. Kazami nervously looked at everyone around her.

Wh-what's going on...? What's happening? Who are you people? Please tell me! Who... Who am I!?

Kazami shouted on the verge of tears. There was no sign of her previous composed, firm-hearted nature. Jun bitterly embraced Kazami.

...You have amnesia.
Amnesia...!?
But it's okay. There's nothing to be scared of... 'cause I'm here for you...
...?

Jun continued to embrace Kazami as the confused woman kept staring blankly. A small sense of guilt filled Natsuhiko's heart.

(... Was this really the only way?)

But he couldn't think of a way that would have resolved everything cleanly. Watase then finally stood up in what seemed to be resignation and walked up to Natsuhiko.

...You did what you had to do. There was nothing wrong with the way that you did it.
But this doesn't mean we're out of the woods just yet.
Huh?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena frowned in confusion.

There's something you need to know about the bomb in Area Zero. We can't disarm it. And to make matters worse-- It'll go off before the lockdown ends.
!?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena's eyes widened in shock.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pure Motives: 09/16/2030, 18:00

About why they couldn't disarm it, and why the lockdown timer was off. And how at this rate, everyone would die in the explosion--!

The news shook up Natsuhiko's group. They all began to speak with quivering voices.

So you're saying we'll all die if we stay here!?
Th-then we've gotta think of a way to get out of here!
D-don't be ridiculous... We searched the place for six hours and found nothing...!

Watase fell silent.

(It really is ridiculous...!)

They had little time left. Watase realized he couldn't think of anything as he held the amnesiac Kazami in his arms.

(... But we've still got to do something... The bomb is my responsibility. So I have to save everyone here...!)

The time was ''6:02 PM''. Only 15 minutes left until the bomb went off. Watase had come up with an escape plan back in Area Zero, but--

(... It's too dangerous to risk bringing up the idea, what with the situation the way it is. It would just cause everyone to panic more.)

He gave up on that idea. Natsuhiko bitterly spoke to Watase.

Watase... what do you plan to do?
...At any rate, we'll all die if we stay here. Let's at least evacuate to a slightly safer place.
A safer place?

Watase nodded.

The bomb's been planted in Area Zero. I can't predict how the explosion's blast will spread-- But if we go as far as we can from the blast radius-- in other words, right outside the emergency staircase bulkhead in Area 2-- we should be able to increase our chances of survival just a little.
Then we'll survive if we go there?
I don't know... but that's the best bet we've got.

He was at a loss for any better options. Impatience and confusion had taken their toll on Watase's sense of judgment. Everyone looked uneasy, but they reluctantly nodded.

...The faster we get there, the better. Let's go.
Yeah... c'mon, Sis.
Ah... o-okay...

Jun took Kazami's hand and walked off. Everyone else followed suit.

The time was ''6:08 PM''. Only nine minutes left until the explosion. Watase and the others endured their fear and waited for that moment. The mind-crushing silence was eventually shattered when Kazami broke the ice.

U-um...
... What is it?
The two of you... look somewhat familiar to me...

Kazami looked at Watase and Jun, then continued.

...Who were you guys to me...?

Jun answered that question.

I'm your... sister.
Sister...? Then what about you...?

Watase looked away from Kazami after he was asked that.

...I'm the one who's responsible for putting you... No... for putting -everyone- through this nightmare.
This nightmare?
Yeah... I was trying to destroy this facility to satisfy my own personal grudge. As a result, the bomb I planted is about to explode very soon. But I failed to take something into account... and now you and everyone else will suffer for it.
No way...!

Kazami looked at Watase and rose her voice in astonishment.

You're not the kind of person who'd do something like that, right?
You wouldn't know that, would you? Seeing as how you've lost your memories and all.
No, I can tell. It's true that I've forgotten everything... but while I can't quite explain it... I can remember that much for some reason. I know you're a very kind person with a strong sense of justice...

Watase couldn't say anything. Nor could anyone else.

(Kind? A strong sense of justice? Me...? That ''sense of justice'' is what dragged all of you into this mess...!)

Watase was full of regret.

(Was there no other way...!? There must've been a correct route to take that would've kept everyone from falling into this miserable--)

A flash of insight suddenly rushed through Watase's head at that moment.

(That's right... at the very least-- I can make it harder for the explosion to make it all the way over here!)

That was the lone ray of hope that'd shone through this despair. When it came down to it, explosions basically spread in the paths of least resistance. Then in that case, since everyone was in Area 2-- If he could reroute the explosion towards Area 5, the complete opposite side of the facility, it could at least slightly improve their chances of survival. That said, it was a plan with slim chances for success. But they had to gamble on it. Watase then spoke up.

Moribe, sorry... there's something I have to take care of.
Huh?
Take care of Kazami and the others. Don't follow me, guys. I mean it.
H-hold on Captain, what are you--!?
What the hell are you trying to do, Watase!?

Watase ignored everyone's shouts-- And descended the emergency staircase.

He glared at the six security gates surrounding him.

(The explosion will spread into every direction leading out of Area N once it rises from Area Zero! Then all I have to do is just open the gate from Area N to Area 5 and keep the rest shut!)

Watase headed towards Area 5 and stood in front of its gate. According to his watch, it was ''6:15 PM''. Only two minutes to go before the explosion. All he had to do was open the gate just as the explosion occurred. That said, Watase would die for sure if he went through with it. No one could survive being directly above the explosion's blast radius.

(Hmph... so what?)

Watase broke out into a self-deprecating laugh. He suddenly remembered what had happened just a few hours ago. Back when he still hadn't regained his memories. He went into Area N all by himself to save everyone back then, too. He had thought his own life meant nothing if it meant saving the others. That sadly pure conviction felt so radiant to Watase now.

(... I've just gone back to the way I was back then. Now I can finally fulfill my plans from back--)

But at that moment, he suddenly heard a voice behind him.

???: Um...
!!

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

His eyes widened, and he started shouting.

You... you dumbass! Why did you follow me!?
I don't really know why... but I chased after you because I was worried about you.
Your presence here only makes things worse! Didn't Moribe try to stop you!?
I shook her off. Should I not have done that...?

Watase gasped and checked his watch once again. Only 23 seconds to go until the explosion. She'd never make it back to the others if she were to try to run back now--

Go back, Kazami! You have to live!
I refuse.
Just shut up and go back! You'll die with me if you don't!
...I'm fine with that.

Kazami sounded like she was pleading with Watase.

When I woke up, words like 'live' and 'die' suddenly didn't feel real anymore. But for some reason... nothing feels real to me except what my heart's telling me now. It's telling me that if I'm going to die, then I want to die with you.
--

Watase's face warped with grief. There wasn't any time left. Watase reluctantly opened the gate to Area 5--

And heard a thunderous roar rise up from below at that moment.

--It's here!!
!!

Kazami's body trembled with a start. Watase gripped her arms and held her close to him.

Death was creeping towards them from the very depths of the Earth. It would only take a mere moment for it to completely fill Area N. In that second that lasted longer than an eternity-- Watase embraced Kazami.

For reference, this is the last bad end we can get in this game. So there's no more ''bad'' ends in store for us - but given what the game considers a ''normal'' ending, we're not exactly out of the woods, I'd say.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat :(

But yeah, I dunno what our big plan here is tbh.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

drat :(

But yeah, I dunno what our big plan here is tbh.

For what? Fixing Kazami or actually getting out without being burnt to a crisp?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
To be honest, if it were me, I'd move the bomb to somewhere on the extreme end of a first floor outer ring, inside a room and adjacent to an exterior wall, and have everyone shelter in Area Zero. Presumably it'd reach the outside first and vent the pressure to there rather than dig out the ground.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

David Corbett posted:

To be honest, if it were me, I'd move the bomb to somewhere on the extreme end of a first floor outer ring, inside a room and adjacent to an exterior wall, and have everyone shelter in Area Zero. Presumably it'd reach the outside first and vent the pressure to there rather than dig out the ground.

How do you get back into Area Zero without the eyes of the researchers that have access and with Alice Number 2 broken?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Queen of the Night's Aria: 09/16/2030, 17:54

So, like I said, the correct choice here is to favor neither, or both, depending on how you want to look at it.

And thus-- Natsuhiko made up his mind.

--Yuuri!!

Natsuhiko quickly grasped Yuuri's hand and dove into Kazami's memories.

(Doing that wouldn't solve anything!)

It was with that thought that Natsuhiko dove into the depths of Kazami's mind.

(--And besides, I made a promise to myself when we were walking down that long road to LABO this morning! I swore I'd ''protect everyone and everything this time''! That includes Ms. Tachibana! No exceptions!)

However, as if in protest to his resolve-- A ferocious wave of malice suddenly enveloped Natsuhiko.

He could feel alarm bells going off in his mind. But he could also hear Yuuri's voice.

{Hikorin, don't lose! I'll always be there to heal you, whether you're devoured by malice or your memories are erased! So you have to help Lieutenant Tachibana--!}
(Yeah! You can bet on that!)

Natsuhiko then headed for the innermost depths of Kazami's mind. To where Subject N's spirit lay--!

(!!)

Before long, a sight suddenly spread out before his eyes.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Tips posted:

TIP: Queen of the Night's Aria
Category: Includes fiction

Prince Tamino is attacked by a serpent. He is saved by three ladies, attendants to the ''Queen of the Night''. When the three ladies show him a portrait of the queen's daughter, Pamina, Tamino finds her enchantingly beautiful and embarks with the ''bird-catcher'' Papageno to Sarastro's temple where Pamina is held captive.

Tamino hears that Sarastro is an evil sorcerer, but he is in fact a high priest with noble intentions to protect Pamina so that she does not become a sacrifice for the Queen of the Night's ambitions of world conquest. Sarastro declares that in order for Tamino's and Pamina's mutual love to be fulfilled, Tamino must overcome trials of wisdom. When the Queen of the Night learns of this, hell's vengeance boils in her heart...

The Queen of the Night's Aria refers to the second aria sung by the Queen of the Night in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 1791 opera, ''Die Zauberfloete'' (''The Magic Flute''), formally entitled ''Der Hoelle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen'' (''Hell's vengeance boils in my heart''). In the first act, the Queen of the Night is depicted as a tragic mother whose daughter is held captive by an evil sorcerer, but in the second act, her character takes an about face, as she's depicted as a vengeful evil queen. She remains the same being throughout ''The Magic Flute'', but she never returns to goodness before her life ends.

Similarly, the girl who became the malicious Subject N never returned to being the Nagisa Tachibana who loved her older sister.

Not Subject N's room in LABO. But Nagisa's room in the old Tachibana residence. Room 303 of that long-gone apartment complex-- There, he found her.

Yeah... here I am. I've come to set Ms. Tachibana free from your curse.
I see...

Subject N looked at Natsuhiko and gave him a small hint of a smile.

...You see, actually, I just read your memories a little while back, and thanks to that, I finally remembered something important. I remembered that I was once called 'Nagisa Tachibana'. That while there were only three of us... me, my kind sister, and my dear Jun... every day was a happy one.
But, well, that soon came to an end, and I was brought to LABO. And I've spent the last nine years since then here in this place...
...It must've been hard, huh?
No, not really... The only hard part was never seeing Sis and Jun again. So long as I put up with that, I found that it was a life where I could want for nothing...

Natsuhiko hesitated. She was very different from the other Subject Ns he had encountered. She wasn't imitating Kazami's speech patterns. Her personality was also totally different from Kazami's. It felt like this was her original personality: her true ''spirit''.

(If I erase this girl-- Then I'll be killing her for real this time, won't I!?) ...Hey... Is there really no other way for me to free Ms. Tachibana aside from erasing you?
Nope.

She smiled cheerfully.

Kazami will never go back to normal as long as I remain here. For I am malice incarnate, you see.
That's impossible. You don't look that way at all--
Well, that's just 'cause I'm doing everything in my power to restrain myself so I can talk to you. You see, the truth is, I loathe you all so much you couldn't possibly begin to imagine it.
...!
I'm no longer 'Nagisa Tachibana'. I'm 'Subject N'. It's way too late for Nagisa to ever come back. Sis will never have her sister back. Nagisa is just some stranger whose name I once held, that's all.

The room from her memories began to warp. And as he stood in that whirlpool of malice-- Natsuhiko wept.

...Why...? Why does it have to be like this...!?

Subject N's very existence saddened him. He was unbearably sad about the destiny she'd been forced to bear.

...We're the same age and we live in the same city... So how could we turn out so different? Can't you just turn over a new leaf!?

She shook her head.

...I can't. There are just too many things in this world that we are powerless to change. You can manipulate a memory as much as you want, but you can never change the facts. Like the fact that I want to erase you...

With that declaration-- Natsuhiko resolved himself.

...If you're going to erase me... Then I have no choice but to fight you. Everyone's lives lie on my shoulders. So I'll do it...!
Yup, that's how it should be. 'You and I are different'. 'I can never be you'. For that is the universal, absolute truth that governs the barriers between humans.

She tapped her temple with a fingertip.

... Yeah.

Natsuhiko nodded and brought a finger to his temple as well-- Then he began to wish. Wish for her annihilation.

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

He could hear her voice.

{!!!}

Natsuhiko's memories instantly began to reconstruct. The rate they were being repaired outpaced the rate they were falling apart.

{Yu... Yuuri!}

{I won't let that happen! Never!!}

Her voice kept Natsuhiko conscious just as he felt he was about to faint. A will of iron was forged within Natsuhiko's heart.

{U... UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!}

He mustered his entire force of will and focused again. Not on erasing Subject N. But only on setting Kazami free from the malice--!!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

If I do end up making myself a new avatar from Root Double material, it will be based on these three CGs. Best CGs in the entire game.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TheMcD posted:

For what? Fixing Kazami or actually getting out without being burnt to a crisp?

Both, plus keeping Yuuri from Q and everyone safe from Security.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheMcD posted:

Yup, that's how it should be. 'You and I are different'. 'I can never be you'. For that is the universal, absolute truth that governs the barriers between humans.
I knew the game was going to go down this route but I was hoping it might at least be a little more subtle about it :sigh:

Those are some quality CGs though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

L'adieu: Farewell: 09/16/2030, 17:54

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

----
--
--Before long...

It was a vision of a young Nagisa walking far away. Kazami's voice echoed from somewhere.

{Nagisa! Wait, don't go! Don't go! You'll never be able to come back if you do!}
(Is this... Ms. Tachibana's dream...?)

Natsuhiko was experiencing the same dream through Kazami's five senses. Nagisa soon turned around--

Kazami then woke up.

Nagisa looked down upon Kazami.

Ah... Nagisa...

Kazami said that with clear relief.

Are you okay? It looked like you were groaning in your sleep a bit...
...I had a dream.
A dream?
Yes. A dream where you went off to somewhere far away... It was a very sad dream.
I see... But don't you see, Sis? You don't have to worry. I'm right here.
That's right...

Kazami smiled at Nagisa.

You've always been with me, haven't you? We've been together forever...

Tears welled up in Kazami's eyes.

Even after you've-- Even after you've already died...!

Nagisa returned Kazami's smile at those words.

...Yes. I realize that what I'm seeing is just a dream... And that in reality, you're gone...
...That's right.

Kazami looked at Nagisa and spoke.

Even so, I was glad to see you again.
Me too, Sis. 'Cause I missed you so much all these years...

Nagisa grew quiet for a few seconds-- Then she started softly speaking again.

Actually, I tried to see you again just this one time shortly after I was locked away... I tried to escape from LABO.
Huh...?
But a Case N was declared right away, so that didn't work out...

Tips posted:

TIP: Evacuation Mode & Case N
Category: Fiction

Emergency commands in LABO declared in case of unforeseen circumstances.

Evacuation mode is declared when prompt evacuation becomes necessary due to the outbreak of fires or other disasters. Evacuation mode unlocks the doors to all rooms as well as the security gates that usually automatically relock after a certain period of time. However, the retina authentication for the elevator from Area N to Area Zero remains locked.

A Case N is declared when Subject N is improperly taken outside of Area N or Area 5. The security gates lock and the bulkheads to the surface shut, preventing Subject N's escape. Researchers and staff members promptly administer AD and are generally instructed to remain on standby until outside help arrives.

Nine years ago, during the ''Subject N escape incident'', a fire-triggered evacuation mode and a Case N were declared one after the other, causing the security gates to temporarily open for only a short period of time before relocking. Furthermore, the bulkheads shut, preventing escape to the surface. But since at that time, there was a way to open the bulkheads from the outside, Miyoko managed to narrowly escape the flames and bring Natsuhiko and Yuuri to safety.

That event was fortunate in itself, but one person saw the security feature Miyoko used to be dangerous. This person was Ryoken Kashiwagi, then senior fellow. Kashiwagi hypothesized that the ability to open the bulkheads from the outside meant that had the Case N happened during not a simple evacuation mode, but a ''meltdown'' instead, that is, had a malfunction caused the WX amplifier to go haywire, then Subject N could have utilized the amplified WX particles to invoke Senses Sympathy on someone outside to manipulate them to open the bulkheads and allow her to escape. Fearing this worst-case scenario, Kashiwagi amended the security measures so that in the event of a simultaneous meltdown and Case N, nobody on the inside (or obviously the outside for that matter) could open the bulkheads until ''Brain Cell'' confirmed the neutralization of the ''meltdown'' and opened up the bulkheads automatically. Thus, Subject N's escape would be prevented, though at the potential sacrifice of the researchers and staff members who didn't escape in time.

Was the motivation for enacting such a drastic security measure the cowardly fear of exposing the truth behind LABO, or was it a modest sense of justice to protect the general public from potential danger...? Nobody will ever know.

And to make matters worse, I got two other kids caught up in all that, and their genes... mutated as a result.
...You're talking about... Tenkawa and Ms. Yuuri...!
...So please, Sis. Don't blame those two. Nor Mr. Watase or anyone else. 'Cause none of them were at fault...
... Yes... you're right...

Nagisa gave a lonely smile when Kazami said that.

...Nagisa.
Don't look so sad, okay? I may be gone, but I'll live on in your memories. So just remember, and you can see me again any time... I'll be with you forever so long as you remember me.
Yes... I know. I'll never forget. I swear I'll never forget... that you're always with me.
Yeah...

Nagisa stroked Kazami's cheek.

Thanks, Sis.

----
--And with that, they awoke from the dream.

It wasn't long before his five senses gently came back. The first thing he heard with his newly returned hearing was the sound of Yuuri's tear-stricken voice.

Hikorin...! Hikorin, that girl's gone...

And the first thing he saw with his newly returned sight-- Was Kazami slowly falling unconscious to the floor.

--Kazami!

Watase ran up to Kazami. He caught her firmly in his arms just before she could hit the floor.

Kazami! Kazami!

Watase called out her name over and over again.

Natsuhiko...?

Mashiro's voice was full of bewilderment.

... It's over. The malice is gone...

Kazami's eyes opened at the same time Natsuhiko said that.

Watase...
S-Sis...?

Jun called out to her nervously, but Kazami alleviated her fears by speaking in a gentle voice.

Jun... I'm sorry I worried you.
Sis!!

Jun hugged Kazami while crying. Kazami gently stroked Jun's hair.

Thank God! Thank God...!
I'm sorry... I scared you to death, didn't I...?

Kazami whispered that to Jun, then turned to Watase.

I'm sorry, Watase... I hurt you so many times.
No... I deserved it. Though of course, I don't think it was nearly enough to make up for my sins...
That's enough... I mean it. You tried to rescue the test subjects who were confined here in LABO. You tried to save Nagisa... Even if you failed to do that in the end... I can't blame you.
Because you and I have been through similar lives. So I understand your feelings better than anyone else...

Watase then silently embraced Kazami. Neither of them said another word...

Watase walked up to Natsuhiko.

...Thank you for not erasing Kazami's memories, Natsuhiko.
No, I only did what I thought was right... I'm glad I didn't erase Ms. Tachibana's memories too.
I see... you're right. ...To be honest, I was scared of you up until now. I saw you as something of a monster who could manipulate others' memories as he saw fit...
...That's understandable.
But you never abused that power. You've only used it to save people in spite of the pain it brings you... Thanks to that, I now finally understand. You're no monster. You're... just as human as the rest of us.

Those words moved Natsuhiko's heart. He remembered something the Subject N in Watase's mind had once told him.

Those words had weighed heavily on his mind the whole time. But with Watase's words alone, the dark clouds shrouding Natsuhiko's heart felt as though they'd finally been lifted. However, in contrast to the broad smile that'd formed on Natsuhiko's face, Watase's face was full of gloom.

...Compared to that, I'm just a stupid bastard.
Huh?
Hey, Natsuhiko... there's something I've got to tell you. When we went down to Area Zero, I realized I did something I can never take back.
...? What do you mean?

I'm talking about the bomb. We can't disarm it. And to make matters worse-- It'll go off before the lockdown is lifted.
!?

Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro, and Ena's eyes widened in shock.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CHOICE: 09/16/2030, 17:55

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Why disarming it was impossible, and why the lockdown end time had lagged. And how at this rate, everyone would die in the explosion--!

That's what I'd like us to think about. Is there anything we can do to survive...? Please, everybody, lend us your wisdom!

Everyone's faces froze at that statement. --Only about 20 minutes remained until detonation. The nine survivors wracked their brains to come up with a way to survive together.

All nine of us can move...
But we pretty much have nothing left that can bring about any major change to the current situation.

Watase picked up the gun Kazami had dropped earlier.

Even though we can kill each other with this thing... it has no survival usage whatsoever.

Watase put away the gun in his pocket as he said that.

The only other usable things we have are the engine cutter... and at best, the air jack, right?
I don't think either of those things will be of use now, though...
B-but we can't give up! If we can't do something about the bomb, then let's all look for a way to escape!
I don't think it'll be easy... Can we really find something in just 20 minutes that we couldn't after six hours...?
Then could we hack into Brain Cell again and open the bulkheads!?
When we stole root authority, it activated something called a 'reactive barrier' which took out Alice Number 2. The hacking software my mother prepared for us isn't usable anymore, is it?
But can we try just to make sure...?
...Worth a shot, I guess.

And so the survivors moved to the control room for the time being.

But of course, Brain Cell showed no reaction whatsoever.

So it really was a one-time chance...!

Once Natsuhiko said that, Salyu murmured softly.

Alice... There's still Alice Number 1.
Huh?
Dr. Tenkawa installed various software onto Alice. Even software whose purposes remain unknown to me. It might include the hacking software...

Without waiting for the others' response, Salyu connected Alice Number 1 to Brain Cell. And then the three control terminals--

Ah...!

--each displayed the authentication screens.

L-looks like it'll work!
But are you sure, Salyu!? If you use her to hack, then she'll break too, you know!?
...Of course it's painful for me. Because Alice is a part of me... But it'd be even more painful if everyone died. If we get out of here, we can always repair Alice. As long as we live, she can be fixed eventually.
Yeah... you're right.

Everyone looked glad at those words, but then--

No, wait a second! Even if we steal root authority and open up the bulkheads, Brain Cell will automatically declare another Case N after 30 seconds!
Huh!?
Everyone, look at that!

Ukita pointed at the indicator on the monitor labeled ''Area N Energy Level''. The value read ''1539 mSv''...

A Case N is declared under the conditions of 'Area N's WX particle energy levels exceeding 1 mSv'... And 'a test subject leaving either Area N or Area 5'. We can't get everyone out of here without violating those conditions...!

Ukita's bitter voice shocked the others.

So you mean it's like this...!? Even if we open the bulkheads, they'll close again after 30 seconds?
And opening the bulkheads in the first place requires three people--... So for six people to escape... three have to stay down here, huh.

Everyone gasped at those words. That was the answer thrust before them. ''Three people must remain in the control room to steal root authority from Brain Cell and force the bulkheads open.''

(At the very least, that means six people can escape before the explosion...! But that also means... that the other three need to die!)

The question once thrust upon Watase was now thrust upon the others.

''Only six of the nine could survive.'' ''9-3=6''-- that equation bound them once again.

(Then which three do we choose...!? Which six get to survive!?)

The nine people in the room established emotional bonds through all their shared experiences. Even if their principles and perspectives differed, not a single one of them genuinely wished for any of the others to die. It was just too sad to decide who had to stay.

(Even if Watase or I sacrifice ourselves... that won't solve everything.)

Just like how Natsuhiko tried to break Mashiro out of there through the cargo lift, and how Watase went off to extinguish the fires in Area N, they didn't even have the option to ''save everyone in exchange for their own lives''.

(... But still... We still have to make a decision...!)

They were all probably thinking the same thing. A hopeless silence engulfed the room. --Eventually, a girl whispered an answer in Natsuhiko's ear.

Th... the answer's obvious, isn't it?
Huh?
The answer is 'we leave nobody behind'. We bring everybody to the bulkheads...

Yuuri looked at everyone as she said that.

Right? Isn't that right, guys!? The bomb's set in Area Zero, isn't it? It's in such a deep place. So the shockwave might not reach all the way to the bulkheads, right? Let's all pray for that and wait for the bulkheads to open by themselves!
Y-you're right...! That's a good idea, Yuuri! How can I survive if it means sacrificing someone else...?
Right!?

Mashiro approved of Yuuri's opinion. Even in this dire situation, the two girls never forgot kindness.

(But that kindness... won't help right now.)

Watase spoke Natsuhiko's thoughts for him.

...You two really are kind... But we can't do that.
Huh!?
If anyone's going to wait in front of the bulkheads, it'd be better for it to be the three left behind after the other six escape, right?
B-but! Who's going to be left behind--
That's what we need to decide. At the very least, I'm staying.

Kazami and Jun's eyes widened at those words.

Captain, you can't be serious!
Oh come on, it's should be an obvious choice, right? After all, I'm the one who set the bomb up in the first place.
There you go showing off again...! Only a fool throws away their own life to save others! Isn't that right!?
Exactly. And I'm an utter fool for resorting to terrorism. So I want to be the one to clean up after my own mess.
So we only need two others. Two people to stay underground with me...
Two others...!?

Jun murmured that, and then fell silent. Then after a brief pause-- she spoke up resolutely.

...Just two more, huh. Okay, I got it...!

Jun looked at Kazami with clouded eyes.

Let's stay behind, Sis. Us three members of Sirius will stay...!
Wh... what!?
W-wait, Jun!? I'm fine with staying, but why you too!?
Because if you and the captain stay behind, that's still not enough people. It's our job to save lives. And if doing so requires sacrifices no matter what... then we have no choice, do we?
Th-that might be true, but still...!

Kazami reluctantly accepted that viewpoint.

(That's our first option...!)

Option: The rescue squad (Watase, Kazami, Jun) would stay.

But then Ukita cut in.

W... wait! If someone has to stay, then it shall be me!
You, Mr. Ukita!?
Captain Kasasagi and I are the ones at fault. If Captain Kasasagi's going to stay, then it only makes sense for me to stay as well!
Y-you can't, Mr. Ukita! I can't accept that! Regardless of the circumstances, you're still a 'survivor' under our custody!
No, the old man's right! Me, the old man, and one other person will stay behind!

--''Watase, Ukita, and one other person''. As soon as Natsuhiko heard those words, he spoke without thinking.

Th... then I should stay too!
Huh!?

Yuuri and the others gasped at Natsuhiko's suggestion.

Wh-why you, Natsuhiko!?
...If the ones at fault are staying, then I'll stay. I'm responsible for this too. The end of the lockdown got delayed because of my BC...!

And thus, out of his own volition, Natsuhiko came up with the second option.

Option: The ones at fault (Natsuhiko, Watase, Ukita) would stay.

(Of course, I don't want to choose that option myself... and Yuuri and the others don't seem to agree with it either, but...)

Just as Natsuhiko had predicted, Mashiro and the others spoke up in opposition.

Natsuhiko, what are you talking about!? That's no reason for you to stay behind!
I agree... If that's enough to make you 'at fault' here, then every single one of us is at fault.
Th-that's right, Hikorin... there's no need for you to stay behind.
But... in that case, who should stay, then...?

The question silenced Yuuri for a moment-- but eventually, she answered resolutely.

...You're right... If Captain Kasasagi, Mr. Ukita, and one more person have to stay... Th-then... I guess I have to...
N-no, Yuuri! That doesn't make sense either!
I-I know it doesn't! But then what are we supposed to do otherwise, Mashiron!? Even if Captain Kasasagi and Mr. Ukita stay behind, one other person has to do so as well, right!?
No... please don't say that, Yuuri! Why do you always have to be the one to suffer!? Are you telling me to live with guilt again!? How long will this have to continue!? If you say you're going to stay, Yuuri, then it's better that I stay instead!
...!
N-no fighting. I thought you were best friends.
But Salyu! I can't just let Yuuri die--
Then are you saying you'll stay instead, Mashiro? I don't want you to die either. Will you stay regardless?
Aah...!
But then again, I can't say 'I'll stay behind instead of you two' either. ...I don't want to die. I met everyone and found life fun for the very first time. I felt that at last, my real life had only just begun... So I... I want to live more.
S-Salyu...!

Everyone grew silent as Salyu squeezed out her honest feelings from the bottom of her heart.

...I'm sorry. I can't be strong like you guys.
Th-that's normal... There's nothing for you to apologize about.

Ena cut into the conversation.

She's right, Ms. Sannomiya. It's wrong for children to die for the mistakes of adults. ...That said, to be honest... I don't want to die either.
Huh...?
'I can't just die here in a place like this'-- That thought was what helped me survive up to this point. I don't think 'I've had enough'. Nor do I think 'I want to die for others'. It's human nature not to think those things. It's animal instinct...!

As Ena said that, her noble facial features warped tearfully.

But... but you know... I'm a teacher, aren't I? If the alternative is to sacrifice my own students... Then I'd rather stay behind myself...!

Natsuhiko was shocked to hear those unexpected words.

P-Prof. Tsubakiyama!?
What are you saying, Ena!? That makes you the same as Yuuri and the others!
No I'm not, I just-- I just think that adults who'd sacrifice children for their own survival are no adults at all.
Huh...?
It's adults like that who made this messed up world. So I just want you kids to know that there are proper adults out there. There are adults out there who will risk their own lives to save children they do not know. Even if it's not to atone. Even if it's not their duty. If I set that sort of example for you kids, then you won't end up cursing this society, will you? I'm sure the next generation-- will bring about a more proper society.

Those words were most likely a thought that Ena had shut away in the innermost depths of her heart, oozing out just now. She seriously wanted to live. But on the other hand, she wanted to save the children. She was tied up by her own self-preservation instincts and the logic to save others.

...I just don't know anymore... What do we do...?

Once he heard Salyu say that, Natsuhiko pondered.

(I don't want to let anyone else die, but... Yuuri and the others probably won't accept me staying behind. Dammit! Is there... is there no other option...!?)

The moment that though crossed his mind-- Kazami suddenly spoke up.

Wait... I've realized there's just one more option.
Huh?
I awoke to Senses Sympathy earlier. That means three of us out of the nine here are Senses Sympathy users. And even if the Senses Sympathy users escaped, we'd be targeted for confinement, wouldn't we?
Wh... what are you trying to say, Ms. Tachibana?
So in that case, Tenkawa, Ms. Yuuri... If we're just going to be confined anyway, why don't we be the ones to stay behind?
Wha...!?

Natsuhiko was driven speechless. For the time being, they had their third option.

Option: The Senses Sympathy users (Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Kazami) would stay.

However--

Are... are you being serious, Ms. Tachibana...!?
D-did you hear anything I just said!? You're free to stay behind and sacrifice yourself if you want, but I'm telling you to leave the children out of it!

Kazami didn't answer. Natsuhiko couldn't understand why she would ever say such a thing.

Whoa, Kazami! Don't say that! It's a done deal that I'm staying behind! Don't think of any option that precludes that!

Watase's word ended the discussion.

--Each option was as difficult to choose as the next.

VOTING

And thus we come to the really big decision. We have our way out - the three that stay behind are probably hosed based on what we've seen in other endings, and the six that leave are probably also hosed because they're going to run smack-dab into Security Sector 6, but I guess it's a shot we need to take. So with that, we have three options:

Option A: The Sirius team members - Watase, Kazami and Jun - stay behind. They're the rescue squad members, and it's their duty to make sure the civilians get out alive.
Option B: Those responsible for the incident being the way it is - Watase, Ukita and Natsuhiko - stay behind. If it weren't for their actions, this wouldn't have happened.
Option C: Those capable of using Senses Sympathy - Natsuhiko, Yuuri and Kazami - stay behind. If they were to get out, they'd be immediately targeted by LABO anyway.

Choose wisely.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Option B. Watase & Natsuhiko are our main protagonists, so that means they need to stick together here. Probably.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Option B

Ukita must pay for his crimes. And Natsuhiko is the worst protagonist.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Yeah, I gotta go with Option B.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Option A. I'm biased towards these rescue folks we've been with since the beginning and I wanna agree with them.

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 29, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Option A, because we're rescue workers damnit.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Going to go with B because the three of them seem most likely to come up with a solution. Ukita knows the place, Watase is an expert rescue worker and Natsuhiko has plot powers.

edit: though maybe the power of three Rank S communicators could use some sort of telekinetic bullshit to protect themselves from the blast?

Hmm... now that I think of it, couldn't an air jack be used to jam a door open?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Option B, because I happen to like Best Buddy Jun and Yuuri more than the three chucklefucks that got us into this mess.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Option B because Watase and Ukita seem pretty desperate to redeem themselves in their own eyes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Option C, because gently caress you, LABO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

REQUIEM FOR MEN: 09/16/2030, 17:55

Alright, the people have spoken.

code:
Option A:  II
Option B:  IIIIII
Option C:  I
And they've said that Team ''Welp, We hosed Up'' is going to stay behind. Let's see how that turns out...

(Does somebody have to die...!?)

It was almost time to make their decision. The time to decide who to cast away was imminent...!

(I'll stay... I'll stay with Watase and Mr. Ukita...!)

He could understand their determination, and it didn't seem like anyone could convince them otherwise anyway. So Natsuhiko sent telepathy to Watase.

{Watase... don't say anything, just listen.}
!?
{I'll stay down here too. Let's allow the girls to escape.}

As if to ask ''You okay with that?'' Natsuhiko gritted his teeth. ...Of course he wasn't okay with that.

(I don't want to do it either...! Of course I don't want to die...!)

To get Yuuri out of there no matter what.

That no matter what happened from here on out, he'd protect Mashiro and Salyu. --He didn't want to go back on his word. Natsuhiko had been protected by everyone else this entire time--

(So this is the least I can do to repay that debt...)

With that thought, Natsuhiko smiled back at Watase.

{... It's okay. There's no other way. The problem is that even if I say I'm going to stay behind, Yuuri and the others won't accept it-- So we have to take emergency measures. Please knock out Yuuri, Mashiro, and Salyu for me. And then somehow persuade Ms. Tachibana and the others to carry them outside.}
...!

Watase fell silent and said nothing. But eventually, he nodded resolutely.

...Got it.

When he heard that whisper, Natsuhiko sent the same sort of telepathy to Ukita.

Wha...
{Watase's going to knock out Yuuri, Mashiro, and Salyu. And then he'll get Ms. Tachibana to carry them.}
B-but then you--

And then, as if triggered by Ukita's voice,

!?

Salyu's body stiffened for a second. But before she could ready herself, Watase hit her in the neck with a knifehand strike.

Ghh!

Salyu groaned and fell on the spot.

Wha-!?
What are you doing, Captain!?

Kazami and Jun shouted in shock. But without stopping, Watase wrapped behind Mashiro and squeezed her neck.

...!

She fell unconscious all too easily. Everyone stared in wide-eyed surprise at Watase's abrupt actions.

C-Captain Kasasagi!? Don't tell me the malice relapsed--!?

Ena covered Yuuri in confusion. Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko and shouted.

Hikorin, that means we'll have to go back one more time and--!

When he heard those words-- Natsuhiko shook his head and used telepathy.

{Yuuri, Watase hasn't gone mad... I told him to do this.}
{Huh!?}
{We've come to our decision. Watase, Mr. Ukita, and I will be the ones to stay down here. We'll have Ms. Tachibana carry Salyu and Mashiro...}
{No... no! Don't do it, Hikorin! We can't let ourselves get separated after all we've been through to get back together--!}

Yuuri's telepathy... was filled with her emotions. Her grief. Her concern. And her desperation. Natsuhiko smiled and gave his answer.

{... Sorry, Yuuri. Thank you so much for everything you've done. Send my regards to Mashiro, Salyu, and Mom for me.}
{Hikorin! No, no, no, no! Stop!}

But in spite of Yuuri's desperate telepathy-- Natsuhiko used Senses Sympathy on her.

{!!}

And he blew away her memory of the ''present''. In the same way he once did to knock out Watase.

{Hiko... rin...!}

And with that final thought-- Yuuri fainted.

When Natsuhiko returned to reality, he saw Yuuri slowly falling to the floor. Ena gasped and caught her.

Watase used that opportunity to take his gun out of his pocket-- And pointed it at Kazami and the others.

...What is the meaning of this, Captain?

Kazami glared at Watase. Watase looked her back in the eye and answered.

There's no time to argue, so we had to take extreme measures-- But we've come to our decision. Natsuhiko, the old man, and I will stay down here.
Wha... Don't just decide things on your own like that!
That's right, I can't let a student of mine get caught up in--
I just said there's no time to argue!
!

Ena and the others trembled at Watase's angry shout.

...We'll stay in the control room and open the bulkheads. Kazami, Moribe, Teach, you guys take Yuuri and the others outside.

Watase spoke with a stern voice. But Kazami couldn't keep quiet.

You think you can stop me with that thing? Are you going to shoot me?
I will. I'm no longer a rescue worker, see.

Kazami's expression warped at those words.

...Watase!

Right when she tried to rush over at him--

Watase pulled the trigger.

The bullet landed by her feet. Kazami stopped. Watase continued.

...Understand? l have no qualms pulling the trigger on this life-stealing tool. I've long lost the right to be called your squadmate.
But still... let me give one last order. Tachibana. Moribe. Rescue these three survivors and get them out of here. You two are rescue workers. It's your mission to save lives.
Captain...

Jun spoke tearfully. Eventually, Kazami nodded bitterly.

...Understood. We'll carry out our mission...!
...Thank you, Kazami.

As Watase squeezed out his voice, his face warped in bitter pain. He lowered his gun and addressed everyone.

Now then, Kazami, Moribe, Teach... We'll open the bulkheads in exactly three minutes. Get out of here immediately.
Roger...

Kazami muttered and then shouldered Yuuri. Jun took Mashiro and Ena took Salyu. Before they left the control room, the three turned around and spoke.

...Let's meet again outside for sure.
Captain, Natsuhiko, Mr. Ukita... Don't die on us, okay?
I'll never forgive you if any of you three die!

And with those words, the women left the room. The men left behind sighed heavily.

Don't die, huh... Now that's a tall order.
Well, if they didn't believe in the possibility that we'd survive, I don't think we could've gotten them out of here.
Indeed...
Well, whatever. Let's focus on what we need to do first.

Natsuhiko and Ukita nodded at Watase's words. They then stood in front of Brain Cell's control terminals. They watched the clock and waited for the time to open the bulkheads--

...Okay, now! Open the bulkheads!
Yeah!

At Watase's signal, they operated Brain Cell. They stole root authority, canceled the Case N declaration, and opened the bulkheads. They had no means of checking if Yuuri and the others had escaped, but--

Mmm, they're probably safe... I'm sure they were all able to escape.

Natsuhiko and the others believed in that.

...So at the very least, the girls are safe.
Yeah. We've fulfilled our minimum duty.
Takes some of the load off my shoulders when I think about it like that.

They laughed faintly. Their facial expressions were blurred with resignation.

(We just wait for the explosion now, huh...)

Naturally, their chances of survival looked hopeless. That was for sure, no matter what Kazami and the others said.

...Watase, what time is it?
Hmm? It's 6:06.
...Only ten minutes until detonation, huh...?

The moment he muttered that--

(In ten minutes, I'll be erased from this world...! I'll be blown to bits before I can feel any pain, buried deep beneath this pitch black earth...!)

He could no longer escape to the outside world.

Once the realization of that truth crushed his mind-- Watase and Ukita spoke up.

Indeed.
...Huh?

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

Natsuhiko couldn't believe what he saw. But they kept speaking as if it were only natural.

To survive, we should secure a place in this facility that the explosions can't reach. And explosions basically spread up and out.
Right, so the explosion will rise from Area Zero to Area N, so--
Let's keep all the Area N gates closed except for the one leading to Area 2. That way, the explosion will head towards Area 2 first. Which would make Area 5 on the opposite end relatively safer.
Indeed. Furthermore, the shelter's protective walls should increase any likelihood of survival.
Right, so let's get to work on the double and--
Wh-what are you talking about...!?

Natsuhiko could no longer keep himself from interrupting their discussion.

The tetryl bomb's powerful enough to blow all of LABO away in its entirety, isn't it!? Do you seriously think that little trick can guarantee survival!?
I don't want to sit back and do nothing. And besides... it'll increase your chances of survival, won't it?
What!?
That's right. Natsuhiko, we need to get you to as safe a place as possible. And the shelter is indeed probably the best place there is.
It's in the next area. Can you move there on your own?
On my own...!? Wh-what about you...!?
...What are you, stupid? Don't you know?

Watase spoke with a wry smile on his face.

To let the explosion loose towards Area 2, we need to open the security gate... Which means the two of us can't go to the shelter. Those security gates close automatically after a while, remember? So to open the gates for the connecting passageway from Area N to Area 2-- We have to open the gates ourselves in time with the explosion.
!!

Natsuhiko gasped at those words. But Ukita calmly nodded in complete understanding.

The connecting passageway has two security gates. So that's one for each of us. Perfect.
You can't be serious...!
Understand? Then hurry up and go.
I'm sorry, but there really is no time to argue anymore.

Watase and Ukita smiled. As if they had known from the start that it'd end like this and that Natsuhiko would react that way.

Watase... Mr. Ukita...!

Natsuhiko's voice quivered as he muttered their names. Watase looked at him and spoke with a wry smirk.

...You're such an idiot, Natsuhiko. What are you crying for? There's not a single reason you should be crying for us, is there?
Exactly... We're terrorists. You're a victim. No matter what sort of abuse we take, there's no sense in crying over it for us.
But...!

Natsuhiko stopped. He said no more. Eventually, Watase looked at him and muttered.

...Now go, Natsuhiko. Time's almost up.
Hurry. If you don't reach the shelter, then it will all have been for nothing.

At those words, Natsuhiko cast his head down--

...Goodbye, you guys.

And with that answer, he rushed out of the control room.

--tears formed in Natsuhiko's eyes.

Dammit... goddammit...!

He once thought of them as enemies he had to defeat. But the tears wouldn't end, no matter how much he wiped them. --There was no guarantee that Natsuhiko would survive, even with Watase's and Ukita's fatal wager. So there was no reason for them to make that wager in the first place. But perhaps that was their way to atone.

(But still...! Still, that's just...!)

His entire body ached from the wounds Watase had inflicted on him. But what hurt the most was his heart.

He sat on the ground and thought to himself.

(So why do I have to survive when you have to die...? We promised that everyone would get out alive, together... That included both you and Mr. Ukita too...!)

But this was Watase's final wish. So as his partner, Natsuhiko wanted to respect his will. With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko covered his face with his hands, and--

he heard a thunderous roar off in the distance. Roars and tremors approached through the floor. He could feel an intense force and extreme heat rushing through the facility. From Area 2, to Area 3, and through Area 4-- All the way to Area 5, where Natsuhiko was.

Natsuhiko yielded himself to the thunderous roar-- And softly shut his eyes.

So that's our first ending. Ukita and Watase are assuredly dead, Natsuhiko is implied to die as well, and the fate of the other six is up in the air. So best case scenario, we're talking seven out of nine surviving (with Watase's and Ukita's plan working out and saving Natsuhiko and the other six making it out fine) and worst case scenario, we're talking zero out of the nine surviving (Natsuhiko doesn't make it, the rest gets gunned down by Security Sector 6 because they've seen too much and get written off as victims of the incident). I guess we'll see if this is the best we can get from those three options.

Also, you see that ''...by looking into Ukita's, Jun's, Ena's and Salyu's memories in more depth...'' part? That's your hint for the condition that keeps you from reaching the good endings, like I mentioned earlier. I think you already know how exactly we reach the good endings - the game has pulled this thing on us several times now, after all. Still, we're going to see the normal endings first before moving on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, never noticed before: Just going by Team Enneagram, the chicks outnumber the dudes 2:1.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"The information energy can be raised to extremely high concentrations?" The best ending is going to involve BC ghosts again, isn't it? :shepface:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Haifisch posted:

"The information energy can be raised to extremely high concentrations?" The best ending is going to involve BC ghosts again, isn't it? :shepface:

Actually it's generating so much BC that you cause a stack overflow error in the OS controlling the base so the doors stay open.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Tch. You're holding out on us, aren't you, McD? I bet the *real* answer is none of the above: refuse to make a decision, balance everyone, and somehow magic a result out of this with the power of teamwork.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Crank everyone to 8, then have the S-Types attack Mother Brain or whatever the computer is called with the high ranked SSS :black101: Weaponize friendship with the power of WX particles

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Clearly favour Salyu, put everyone else down to 1.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Logicblade posted:

Clearly favour Salyu, put everyone else down to 1.

:yeah:

Can't wait to see the ultimate, highly unlikely resolution though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Since Natsuhiko doing nothing seems to be the way of things getting done right I wouldn't be surprised if that's the actual answer.

Also a bit late, but I would have Voted C. OH WELLS.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

David Corbett posted:

Tch. You're holding out on us, aren't you, McD? I bet the *real* answer is none of the above: refuse to make a decision, balance everyone, and somehow magic a result out of this with the power of teamwork.

Honestly, yeah. It's probably just 'look at all the info' and 'favor everyone'

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BenRGamer posted:

Gonna guess that it's not just "favor everyone" but "put everyone at max".

I have a feeling that there's still some big twist yet to come regarding the SSS and/or who the player is and making the "true" decision here is what's going to reveal it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

David Corbett posted:

BenRGamer posted:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Gonna guess that it's not just "favor everyone" but "put everyone at max".

Tsk, have you been playing with empathy or something? I should report you to LABO. This sudden burst of ability is clearly a sign you have a WX-induced aptitude increase.

...but yeah, there's no sense in beating around the bush in this case - I deliberately did not give you the correct option (which is indeed setting everybody to max) because it would have stuck out like a sore thumb as the correct answer. In this case, I wanted to see which of the more equal, wrong options you pick.

For reference, I picked Option C based largely on the lovely life expectancy and being hounded by LABO and/or Q that awaited our Senses Sympathy crew when they make it out alive. Salyu, Ena and Jun still had full lives to look forward to, Mashiro, while also burdened by being an observation target of LABO and a Rank B Communicator (and therefore also having a shortened lifespan), is less bad off than Natsuhiko and Yuuri, and Watase and Ukita have more atoning to do than just sacrificing their lives, they still need to bring LABO's atrocities to a national stage (and cynically speaking, blowing up a massive research compound is a hell of a good way to get national attention) alongside Miyoko. Losing their prized test subjects will also allow for a good opportunity for LABO's financial supporters to drop them like a hot potato and cause the entire industrial espionage conspiracy to come crashing in on itself.

But really, any speculation for these options is kind of wonky - loving anything could happen.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

TheMcD posted:

But really, any speculation for these options is kind of wonky - loving anything could happen.

So what bad end do you get if you pick the correct choice without the pre-reqs?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BenRGamer posted:

So what bad end do you get if you pick the correct choice without the pre-reqs?

You just get Option A. You'll see why when I post that ending in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PRIDE OF SIRIUS: 09/16/2030, 17:55

This time, the team we're sending to apparent certain death will be the Sirius members. The game will also choose this decision if you pick some sort of different setup (like picking, say, Yuuri, Ena and Mashiro for some reason).

(Does somebody have to die...!?)

It was almost time to make their decision. The time to decide who to cast away was imminent...!

Natsuhiko could by no means come to a decision.

(It's no good... I can't choose...!)

He had been thinking he'd stay behind himself, but when it came down to it, even that choice was difficult to make. That said, he couldn't bring himself to sacrifice anyone else, either.

(Dammit! What kind of sick joke is this situation!? We finally got everyone all together, and yet...!)

Time ticked down second by second. Despair descended upon Natsuhiko's mind. But at that moment-- Jun spoke up.

♪ BGM: Double Bible (Instrumental Arrange)

Huh?

Natsuhiko looked up to see Jun smiling at him.

Guess it's really times like these where us rescue workers gotta shine. Ain't that right, Captain? Sis?
H-hold on a second, Moribe! Captain Kasasagi aside, there shouldn't be any reason for either you or Lieutenant Tachibana to be sacrificed!
No, you're wrong, Mr. Ukita. In fact, it's wrong to think that anybody has to be sacrificed in the first place. We're not sacrificing anybody. I mean, we've gone through harsh training each day to prevent that. It might be impossible for other people, but I'm sure the three of us can find a way outta here. So... us members of Sirius will stay behind.

There was not a shred of doubt in Jun's eyes as she made her declaration. And as if her sentiment had propagated to them, Watase and Kazami smiled.

...You're right.
Yes... that certainly is true. That seems like a safer wager than my proposal.
B-but...!

They had been searching for a way to escape LABO all this time. However, they hadn't found anything in the end.

(And yet they say they can find a way to escape now...? That's just not possible!)

As that thought crossed his mind, Jun bonked Natsuhiko on the head.

C'mon. Look, there's no need to worry. And besides, you've got some girls you gotta protect, don'tcha?

When he heard that, Natsuhiko turned around in shock.

(... True, I do want to protect everyone... but...)
C'mon, don't make that face. Though when you've got three girlfriends, I can kinda see why you'd be a little fickle. Ahahahah.

Jun's cheerfulness was a demonstration of her gentleness, her strength, and her resolve. Natsuhiko couldn't help but cry when he realized that.

Jun...

--But he held back his tears.

(Don't cry... There's no need to cry!)

This was not a final farewell. The rescue workers were simply staying behind in LABO for the time being to ensure everyone's escape. So Natsuhiko looked at the three of them and spoke resolutely.

Jun, Ms. Tachibana, Watase... I believe in you.
Yeah. That's all we ask for.

Kazami forced herself to speak cheerfully too.

...Sheesh, you sure have been singing your own praises, haven't you?
C'mon, Sis. If a low-ranking rescue worker like me doesn't show off now, when else will I get the chance?
Jun. You're on duty. Please stop calling me 'Sis'.
Aww, that's not fair, Sis. You just called me 'Jun' too, y'know!
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

For at least a fleeting second, that exchange caused everyone to smile and forget the tense situation. Jun then put on a serious face and spoke to Ena and Ukita.

Okay then, Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, take care of the kids for me.
Yes, leave them to us.
As someone at fault for causing this incident, I too need to take responsibility.
...Oh, and, Ms. Moribe?
What?
I'm sorry for being so rude to you today. You are an excellent rescue worker.

Jun's whole face lit up in a smile at those words. She silently nodded and then spoke to everyone.

...All right now people, head on over to the bulkhead in Area 2 as quick as you can! The three of us won't have time to find an escape route if you don't!
Yes!

When it came time to part, the six who would leave spoke to the three who would stay.

Jun! I really do admire you!
Aw shucks, that's kinda embarrassing... but thanks.

Salyu held Alice out to Jun and spoke.

Jun. She's precious to me. I don't mind if she breaks, but bring her back to me.
Yeah. I promise.

When Jun took Alice, the doll looked at Salyu and cried sadly.

Alice: Kyuu...
Captain Kasasagi, Ms. Tachibana, Ms. Jun... I just know you three will escape safely.
Ms. Yuuri... It might be strange of me to say this, but... Please live life to its fullest, for Nagisa too.
...Yes.

And finally, Natsuhiko glared and shouted at Watase.

Hey, Watase!
What now?
You know what I'm going to say, right...? Make sure Jun and Ms. Tachibana escape, even if it costs you your life, you hear!?
Yeah, I know.
For sure, okay!? Because it's your duty to ensure everyone escapes safely!
...Leave it to me.

Watase answered with a sharp look in his eyes. Out of everyone present, Watase was probably the most aware of how difficult escape would be. But regardless, Natsuhiko decided to trust his vow.

Now, go, guys!
We'll open the bulkheads in exactly two minutes!
Please hurry! There's no time!

♪ BGM: The Brave Decision

Pressed by the words of the three rescue workers, the other six left the system control room. Before he shut the door, Natsuhiko turned around.

Jun looked back at them.

...It's okay. We won't die. So let's all meet up again.

And as Jun finished saying that-- --the door to the system control room shut as if to separate the two groups.

Natsuhiko declared that in his mind before turning around and breaking off into a run.

We made it...!

Right after Natsuhiko muttered that-- he heard an electronic sound. And the bulkhead that had been shut this whole time began to open loudly. But none of the six cheered for joy.

{Mom, can you hear me?}

He then used empathy and waited for her answer.

(Security Sector 6 didn't apprehend her, did they!?)

He thought that for a second-- but he soon heard the professor's voice.

{Good, we connected!}
{Y-yes! But how did we suddenly connect!? Wait, did the bulkheads open!?}
{We neutralized the bulkhead Iockdown with your hacking software! We're getting out now! How's the situation over there!?}
{I was somehow able to get through to the rescue squad! ... Ah! Looks like Security Sector 6 has noticed the bulkheads opening too! Natsuhiko, get to the entrance as quickly as possible! We'll secure an escape route for you!}

The professor's voice was frantic. The situation seemed urgent.

Let's go, guys! Run for the entrance!

The six of them ran as Natsuhiko shouted that. But soon afterwards, they heard that chilling voice again--

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

--The bulkheads shut behind them. But they dared not look back. They kept on running so as to not betray the feelings of the three who stayed behind of their own accord. Eventually, they began to hear a commotion up in front of them--

--The entrance was in tumultuous disarray. Dozens of rescue workers were pushing back a mass of thirty or forty men in protection suits on two sides. And in the center of the parted sea stood a woman--

Mom!
Professor!
Natsuhiko! Yuuri, Yui, and Mashiro too!

The professor abruptly stopped. But she held back her tears and spoke up again.

Now go! Get through to the front entrance!

But the moment she said that, Natsuhiko hesitated.

--W-wait, Mom! There are still three people left down there! And there's a powerful bomb set up that's about to explode!
Huh!?
Is there nothing we can do to save those three!?
At this point, that would be--

She thought for a second, but then spoke up resolutely.

--No, anyway, you six need to escape! Even moreso if there's a bomb!
No way! But then--
Let's just go, Mr. Tenkawa! We need to believe in Captain Kasasagi and his squad!
Besides, if you don't escape, then all their efforts will have been for nothing! So run! Just run!

Natsuhiko was forced to comply. He withstood the pain of his injuries and ran with all his might.

SS6 Member 1: W-wait!
SS6 Member 2: Don't let them get away! After them!

At that moment, the Security Sector 6 crowd surged and kicked away at the rescue workers. But at the same time-- The rescue copter came into view on the other side of the entrance!

Board that helicopter! Hurry!

With that voice at their backs, the six survivors boarded the helicopter. It began its ascent immediately afterwards.

Commander: I'm Sirius Commander Murakami. I've heard the details from Dr. Tenkawa. You can all relax now.
Th... thank you.
Commander: No need for thanks. More importantly, where are Kasasagi and the others...?

Yuuri jumped at that question and pleaded with the commander.

Commander Murakami, please! You need to do something to save them!
Commander: What!?

--Yuuri explained to the commander what had happened in LABO. How the three rescue workers stayed behind to save them. How an undefusable bomb was set to explode before the lockdown end time. And finally how there was little hope for their escape--

--So please, there has to be a way to make an escape route for them externally!
Commander: ...I'm sorry, but I cannot consent to that. Doing so would endanger the lives of the rescue workers as well. I can't send an order like that to the units under my own jurisdiction.
N-no...!
Then is there nothing we can do for Watase and the others!?
Commander: ...We can... believe in them. Naturally, I too believe that Kasasagi and the others will return alive.

--After those words were spoken, an ominous silence fell upon them. Ena muttered in bitter opposition of that silence.

He's right... Let's believe in them, Ms. Yuuri. Let's believe that they'll escape from LABO.

Everyone else started speaking up in reply.

I believe too.
...Me too.
Me too... We made a promise after all. Jun said she'd come back with Alice.

That was everyone's prayer. All they could do was pray in that hopeless situation. And that's why-- Natsuhiko prayed with all of his heart as well.

Yeah, I believe too... I believe we'll see those three again alive for sure...!

The commander had the rescue copter circle above LABO. That was the least he could do as he prayed for his subordinates' safety. Seconds ticked away as they approached the time of detonation. Natsuhiko held a finger to his temple as he sent full-power telepathy.

--3 minutes remaining--

{Please, Watase! If you can hear me, please answer!}

--1 minute remaining--

{Watase, can't you hear me!? Have you escaped yet?}

--30 seconds remaining--

{Dumbass! The hell are you dragging your feet for!?}

--10 seconds remaining--

{Hey, hurry up and answer my telepathy!}

--5, 4, 3, 2, 1--

{Watase!! Please, just answer me--!!}

Natsuhiko wished for an answer, and the very next moment--

A thunderous roar and an intense impact shook the entire helicopter. And outside the window--

--was LABO, engulfed in smoke...

...N-no...!

Natsuhiko's hollow voice echoed inside the helicopter.

Aww, that's not fair, Sis. You just called me 'Jun' too, y'know!
How many times must I tell you... Sheesh...

So let's all meet up again.

Eventually, Ena spoke up in a quivering voice.

...Remember what Ms. Moribe said...? They risk their lives for their work... But... but still...!

...Jun... Thank you... I'm sorry...
Khh... ughh...!
...But you said... you'd bring Alice back...

As he heard everyone sob-- Natsuhiko gritted his teeth as a way to cope with his pent up rage.

(You said ''leave it to me'' didn't you...? You said... you'd make sure Jun and Ms. Tachibana got out of there, didn't you? You promised me. You promised them, didn't you...? So why, Watase... Why...? Why... Ghh...) {... Tell me, Watase. Did you really not get out of LABO...?}

But that telepathy garnered no response from Watase.

Commander: ...Returning to base.

The helicopter headed outside the city and began to rapidly accelerate--...

• Locked thread