Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I love the intense action movie music when Dixon wrecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basticle posted:

I love the intense action movie music when Dixon wrecks.

The Japanese style of covering sports and telling stories is unparalleled. They can make anything seem exciting.

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62Z8Ev9OXA

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

So Denver Post shitcanned Terry Frei who felt "uncomfortable" with Sato winning.

Yeah I know deadspin post but here you go.
https://deadspin.com/denver-post-columnist-fired-after-racist-tweet-about-in-1795634687

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lol good. What a dumbass.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
After the race, my dad randomly asked if there were any people upset over the fact that a Japanese [driver driving a Japanese-powered car backed by Japanese sponsors] was celebrating by waving a Japanese flag on Memorial Day, despite not hearing or seeing any such commentary. He just assumed there had to be some and that I would care enough to have an opinion about it.

I sighed at my dad's casual racism and told him that those people are dumb and we don't care to pay any attention to them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

A japanese driver won on tires owned by a japanese company and with a japanese engine.

I just like the idea of Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Yokohama all being insanely jealous right now. (unlikely, but that idea is cool to me)

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
to be fair I called it even with the Japanese after we firebombed them and then dropped two nukes on them

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I mean hasn't the 500 been won by a foreign driver a bunch of times? What's the big deal, hasn't it been an international race for a while?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Flikken posted:

I mean hasn't the 500 been won by a foreign driver a bunch of times? What's the big deal, hasn't it been an international race for a while?

Meet my two friends.... Fat Man and Little Boy.

It took decades but the Japanese have finally gotten their revenge. :smugdon:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the first American in the 500 was Rossi, in 7th.

and looking at the box score to confirm this I saw Marco was 8th which was surprising since I figured he was out of the race since he was the only Andretti car that was as complete non-factor(well aside from Harvey but that was expected)

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
WHYYYYYY aren't Indycar trying to go back to Motegi instead of China??

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wirth1000 posted:

Meet my two friends.... Fat Man and Little Boy.

It took decades but the Japanese have finally gotten their revenge. :smugdon:

The Japanese got their revenge with Anime.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The indy 500 is pretty anime

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Flikken posted:

That bowtie on the side of the was named after a swiss/french brothers that tried to win the "international 500 mile sweepstakes"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

dsriggs posted:

WHYYYYYY aren't Indycar trying to go back to Motegi instead of China??

because the road course sucks and the oval was destroyed by an earthquake

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Where's all the winning that we were promised, Mr. President?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

There's been 5 countries represented in the last 6 victories (Scotland, Brazil, USA, Colombia, USA, Japan). There have been 29 victories by non-US born drivers in the history of the race, and there's a good mixture of countries since the split happened, with Brazil and the UK only managing to win three in a row.

Also, in hindsight, I know a lot of people claim oval racing is more dangerous due to the higher speeds involved. Dixon and Howard's crash, while part of it being luck that neither got hit in the head, was exactly what Indy needed to show "We take safety drat seriously, and that both drivers walked away is proof that we're on the forefront of it."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

because the road course sucks and the oval was destroyed by an earthquake

The earthquake was retribution for Danica winning.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

A japanese driver won on tires owned by a japanese company and with a japanese engine.

I just like the idea of Mazda, Toyota, Nissan and Yokohama all being insanely jealous right now. (unlikely, but that idea is cool to me)

I can guarantee you that corporate Toyota is NOT happy at all. The Honda/Toyota rivalry makes Chevy/Ford look comically tame, they fuckin' hate each other and its like a deep cultural thing. For example, Honda blackballed Comptech while i was there after a 20 year history of it being a Honda factory supported race team because Comptech signed a deal to build Toyota IRL engines after Honda had already turned them down. A permanent blackball that put the company out of business eventually (also one of the owners was a prick, but yeah)

Both of em have spent crazy amounts of money to try to show up the other in racing, especially with a Japanese driver at the wheel. Honda was able to grab front pages in Japan with a Japanese driver, while Toyota failed at LeMans. I guarantee you they are having meetings right now about pulling every stop out for Lemans this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toyota as a 3rd maker for Indy would be awesome :allears:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Good. gently caress Honda.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Monaco is an ideologically incorrect race.

I think actually indycar is probably the most ideologically correct racing sport.
It's internationalist but doesn't have as much racism or church as NASCAR and also doesn't play to the parasite aristocracy like F1 does.

We can probably keep it around after the revolution.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

rear end struggle posted:

Monaco is an ideologically incorrect race.

I think actually indycar is probably the most ideologically correct racing sport.
It's internationalist but doesn't have as much racism or church as NASCAR and also doesn't play to the parasite aristocracy like F1 does.

We can probably keep it around after the revolution.

:frog:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Toyota as a 3rd maker for Indy would be awesome :allears:

As long as the series is strong enough to keep them in check. Honda/Toyota going after each others throats is a main part of what killed CART, and then nearly killed the IRL too pre-merger.

The dynamic Chevy/American Honda have worked out is incredibly positive, with the two of them agreeing on spending limits, team support etc, basically keeping the thing out of overspend death spiral territory. The ideal third would be one that buys into that dynamic and can keep their checkbook in their pants.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

I can guarantee you that corporate Toyota is NOT happy at all. The Honda/Toyota rivalry makes Chevy/Ford look comically tame, they fuckin' hate each other and its like a deep cultural thing. For example, Honda blackballed Comptech while i was there after a 20 year history of it being a Honda factory supported race team because Comptech signed a deal to build Toyota IRL engines after Honda had already turned them down. A permanent blackball that put the company out of business eventually (also one of the owners was a prick, but yeah)

Both of em have spent crazy amounts of money to try to show up the other in racing, especially with a Japanese driver at the wheel. Honda was able to grab front pages in Japan with a Japanese driver, while Toyota failed at LeMans. I guarantee you they are having meetings right now about pulling every stop out for Lemans this year.

Dome's F1 project in the mid-90s got hosed over because Mugen-Honda wouldn't supply them engines because of their work with Toyota in the past.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I mean the MOST ideologically correct racing is local independent short track racing.

but yeah the FIA will be right next to FIFA against the wall when the sports purges come

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

As long as the series is strong enough to keep them in check. Honda/Toyota going after each others throats is a main part of what killed CART, and then nearly killed the IRL too pre-merger.

I'm watching that unfold again. I don't remember it being this intense.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 29, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/869250661568978945

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/869270533799628802

now we know what inspired takuma in that last stint

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

WindyMan posted:

After the race, my dad randomly asked if there were any people upset over the fact that a Japanese [driver driving a Japanese-powered car backed by Japanese sponsors] was celebrating by waving a Japanese flag on Memorial Day, despite not hearing or seeing any such commentary. He just assumed there had to be some and that I would care enough to have an opinion about it.

I sighed at my dad's casual racism and told him that those people are dumb and we don't care to pay any attention to them.
When I was at the Iowa race last year, there were a couple old farts that bitched about the "feeriner" drivers. I think they were only there because of the ARCA race that evening and really didn't give a poo poo about Indy, so gently caress em. I assume it's because I've manged to curate a pretty good bubble around me, but it feels like the majority of ICS fans don't really give a drat about where a driver comes from. Because the driver believes that Indycar is the right place for them, either as a goal or a stepping stone, we like/love them for it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, the two drivers with the biggest crowd celebrations were both from outside the country.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Obviously actual 500 fans love foreign drivers because it lends credence to their belief that the 500 is the biggest race in the world.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Next time you go to a race, do NOT be this guy.

http://twitter.com/NateLenig/status/868584601345826816

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You mean "hey guy living in Tokyo."

Yeah that's a mention on the evening editions of every major newspaper, and segments on national nightly news. I'll check and see if there's more on today's morning shows.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my dream is Ford and Honda jumping into LMP-H but I don't see Ford doing that after the CEO change and lol Honda race hybrid systems

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, why doesn't Gabby Chaves have a full time ride yet?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

iospace posted:

Also, why doesn't Gabby Chaves have a full time ride yet?

Because he's had 3 top 10 finishes in 24 races with a best of 9th?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone has to help fill out the field :shrug:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

He was also driving for Herta before they Merged with Andretti. So the car was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

Someone has to help fill out the field :shrug:

I have a hunch Jolyon Palmer is heading IndyCar way soon enough.

I'm mildly surprised Maldonado hasn't taken a punt.

• Locked thread