Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Le Saboteur posted:

I have a bad feeling the ending of this show may leave me feeling a bit unsatisfied but I'm hoping for the best.

Apparently, numerous cast members, including Lindelof himself, have said that it's satisfying. Take that as you would, but the man is still sensitive and aware about how everyone in the world took the ending to Lost, and doesn't wish to repeat that.

I've never seen Lost, just going by what I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Justin Theroux deserves every award. That dude is wonderful.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
This episode made me realize this season was never about the end of the world, it was about people wanting the world to end because that would be easier than keeping going. Just like Kevin sabotaged his relationships because that was easier.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lord Krangdar posted:

This episode made me realize this season was never about the end of the world, it was about people wanting the world to end because that would be easier than keeping going. Just like Kevin sabotaged his relationships because that was easier.

The Whole Show .txt

So many angry blogs next week when we don't find out any concrete 'answer' to the Departure

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 29, 2017

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Papa John Misty posted:

So many angry blogs next week when we don't find out any concrete 'answer' to the Departure

It would be hilarious if the last episode actually did provide a "concrete answer" to it, given I've heard second-hand time and again that the creators said not to look for one. (And I'm not decrying that.)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was kinda hoping for him to just ask someone in the afterlife metaphor eventually "what happened to the departed" and only get a response of "does it matter"

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
This show is such an emotionally satisfying triumph. I can't wait to see what happens next week. Ann Dowd is still a power to be reckoned with. I watch a lot of television, no other cast delivers more emotional gut wrenching performances than this cast. Think about it, almost all of it is purely dialogue. I will miss this series.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

HanabaL03 posted:

This show is such an emotionally satisfying triumph. I can't wait to see what happens next week. Ann Dowd is still a power to be reckoned with. I watch a lot of television, no other cast delivers more emotional gut wrenching performances than this cast. Think about it, almost all of it is purely dialogue. I will miss this series.

If you want more check out Handmaids Tale

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When the camera panned away from the door to show Kevin's face as the VP walked in, I was expecting the VP to be Nora, because then there would be the added tragic notes of knowing that not only did she die and Kevin didn't know until now, but also that her radiation thing killed her instead of sending her to the departed. Though I guess that wouldn't explain Laurie's absence.

Professor Shark posted:

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work
Mr. Robot's first season used it too, and it's been used in a few movies as well.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Lost all the way. I loved all the different themes for individual characters. There's No Place Like Home still gives me goosebumps.
Hollywood & Vines pops into my head every time I go hiking.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I have no idea what is happening but I have a lingering suspicion I may like it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Long after peak TV is over and people have chronicled what occurred and all the best of lists have been written and all the breaking bads have been discussed. I think this may be the most important show that has ever been created.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I feel this episode really told viewers that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier. In the other place Kevin learns absolutely nothing he doesn't already know and only meets people he already knows are dead. He may just be addicted to being asphyxiated.

Edit: I take back that he doesn't learn anything in the other place. He learns about himself.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
There was nothing really wrong with that episode, I just wasn't super into it. Especially as the second to last episode. The first hotel episode was something special and this felt like a lot of retread and wheel spinning in an imaginary world when the next episode is the end of the series. Like "Across the Sea", it probably would have fit better earlier in a final season.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Goddamn, that narration during the promo for the next episode... Can't wait. I liked this episode, it was crammed full of happenings, which is nice. The last shot in the etherworld of Patti and Kevin watching the bombs fall was nice.

I have to ask, maybe I'm just dumb, maybe I can't quite piece it together, but if the etherworld/afterlife/whatever it is is like a polar opposite of the real world, then what does nuking it signify, saving the real world?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I would watch 400 hours of this

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goddamn, that narration during the promo for the next episode... Can't wait. I liked this episode, it was crammed full of happenings, which is nice. The last shot in the etherworld of Patti and Kevin watching the bombs fall was nice.

I have to ask, maybe I'm just dumb, maybe I can't quite piece it together, but if the etherworld/afterlife/whatever it is is like a polar opposite of the real world, then what does nuking it signify, saving the real world?

Kevin's mind. He says he wants to nuke it so he can never come back.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nuking it is Kevin making a definitive decision to never come back to this place, despite the fact that it's the only place he's ever felt like he's had any real purpose. Whether it's actually the afterlife or just some mental construct he's created for himself to work out his issues and feel important, he's recognized that constantly bailing on his own reality is not healthy for himself or the people he loves.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I mean the whole point of the episode was literally read to us. And god drat was that monologue brutal.

"He was alone, and all was well."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Kevin's mind. He says he wants to nuke it so he can never come back.

I want to find a man of faith explanation for it, but I can't. I think you're right.

Unless it's like the flash sideways universe from LOST. An afterlife but not THE afterlife.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I noticed in the final scene that both Kevins, John, Michael and the dog were there, but I didn't see Grace (unless she was out on the lawn and I didn't see her).

Wonder if that means something happened to her during the storm, or if she was just inside.

Does anyone know if next week's finale is extended length? I feel like there's still a lot of wrap up for the usual ~1 hr run time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I noticed in the final scene that both Kevins, John, Michael and the dog were there, but I didn't see Grace (unless she was out on the lawn and I didn't see her).

Wonder if that means something happened to her during the storm, or if she was just inside.

Does anyone know if next week's finale is extended length? I feel like there's still a lot of wrap up for the usual ~1 hr run time.

75 minutes, according to Alan Sepinwall. :toot:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Only Matt and Nora need to be wrapped up now. Both Kevins(Sr. and JR.) and the Murphys stories were perfectly concluded in this episode. I don't know what else there is to say about them.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was more wondering if there might be some stuff next week like a flash back or something during the storm for the non afterlife faring characters mostly. I'm not expecting everything wrapped up in a neat little package.

I'm also hoping there's at least a quick look at whether or not things went crazy back in Jardin. Is the inflatable Busey okay?!

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Felt like that episode could have been the series finale itself. "What do we do now?" as the lingering note the show leaves on literally and thematically

I really liked the idea of Kevin having to destroy himself and this other world though. It's great the show has always been able to edge into the supernatural while applying it in ways that make it personally impactful or cathartic to the characters and while this episode didn't have the shock or craziness of International Assassin, it still felt like it nicely completed that circle and sent Kevin back in a new and better light.

I also liked how he had 3 tasks to do, got nothing for each of them in response, and then sorta bullshitted to Grace and the others about it by leaving out the important details.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Haha. Forgot about Jarden and the Garvey kids. But I think the show did too.

I miss Mapleton and all the characters there.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Besides the departure has there been anything factually "supernatural" in this show?

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Besides the departure has there been anything factually "supernatural" in this show?

Uhhh....yeah?

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

there's some sprinkled stuff in season 1- the black dog, the Cairo voice over the radio, the buried bird that doesn't die. Holy Wayne maybe but I'd chalk that up to more people getting what they needed and him just being a good con-man/cult leader

Season 2 goes a bit heavier and blatant with the whole returning from the dead part.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Haha drat I love this show. Blasting The Beach Boys while POTUS Kevin cuts open International Assassin Kevin was amazing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Kevin keeps coming back from the dead dude

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Kevin keeps coming back from the dead dude

Is he really dead though?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I liked the episode, despite it being somewhat of a retread and the dumb jump cuts to explain what was meant when he read from the book. Dream logic scenarios to descripe an inner emotional and mental state (when done well, mind) is totally my poo poo.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yes. Not to mention that Kevin has met real people in the Other Place who he had never known before: Burton, Australian Kevin, more?

e: Grace's kids. Well, he did see a photo of them. But still.

e1: :laffo:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 29, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Holy Wayne maybe but I'd chalk that up to more people getting what they needed and him just being a good con-man/cult leader

Even Holy Wayne is deliberately ambiguous. Not only does Kevin's wish come true, but one of Wayne's final lines are "I think I might be a fraud", which implies that even hes unsure about himself and his supposed abilities.

I loving love this show man.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's funny, for a show about 2% of the world population instantly vanishing, i feel like some people are a little too :smug: about nothing being supernatural other than departure.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Dumb rear end smug people having an interpretation of an ambiguous show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The question is how much Kevin Sr told Kevin about his encounter with Chris, because he mentioned "I told your father there is no song to stop the rain" which he did but I wonder if Kevin knew that.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Here is a good read on yesterday's episode. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/leftovers-justin-theroux-penultimate-episode-1008225?utm_source=twitter

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Dumb rear end smug people having an interpretation of an ambiguous show.

I thought this episode "really told people that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier"? That doesn't sound too ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Jesus goons are bad at watching tv.

Yeah dude he drank poison and then was drowned. Twice. Come on man.

Edit: oh yeah he got shot too.

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread