Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Vagrant story is one of my all time favourite games bar none, but holy poo poo I just HATE travelling through snowfly forest, it's one of those "teleport you round the level" areas that you basically will not get through without looking it up on the internet, I've played this game for about 15 years and I still hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The boars in Nier Automata aren't as cool as the boars from Nier. Also I don't know if you can drift on them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

The boars in Nier Automata aren't as cool as the boars from Nier. Also I don't know if you can drift on them.

You can. I've been trying to screencap the Kaneda pose on a moose.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

scarycave posted:

How was this not the first thing you checked after learning how to ride animals

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

scarycave posted:

You just dash again, in a different direction, once you're moving at speed.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't really know why, but I really don't enjoy any of the Witcher games.

I only get up to the end of the first act, and end up just closing the game, and never touching it again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I only get up to the end of the first act, and end up just closing the game, and never touching it again.

Is it the first game or do you try this with every entry?

3 is alright as a starting point even though the main plot can feel like you're coming into a tv series three seasons deep.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it's more of a little annoyance than something bringing the game down, but i've been playing the Enhanced Edition of Balders Gate 1 and have been using one of the new party members Neera. I don't know if the original edition of the game let you try and romance your party members and Beamdog as a whole did a great job on the game, but man is the romance dialog bad, at least for Neera/the new characters?

Neera is a half elf so they are going with the "is technically ancient but has the appearance of somebody younger" thing so while she's a fun addition to the party (Wild Magic is hilarious poo poo) she herself is kind annoying to have around. Every so often she will want to talk to you about her past so being a good/neutral character that wants to keep her around of course i listen and help her out with her personal quest and all the while she eventually starts gets flirty with you. Your only options when it comes to this are to be totally DTF, being a dense motherfucker that can't read signals, or to tell her that you don't care and to shut the gently caress up and keep up with the magic killing.

If you take any of the latter 2 options enough, eventually she will just stop talking to you. There is absolutely no middle ground, no possible way to tease her in a friendly way or to try and just be noncommittal about the whole thing. For a game who's strength is the dialog and choices in roleplaying, they sure kind of missed the mark there.

All of that said though, i'm glad i was convinced to buy the game and play it. It really is a relic of it's time that's a breath of fresh air from the way RPG's are made now. Even if i do miss some modern conviences that something like Pillars of Eternity has :v:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Action Tortoise posted:

Is it the first game or do you try this with every entry?

3 is alright as a starting point even though the main plot can feel like you're coming into a tv series three seasons deep.

Bought all three as impulse purchases off GOG.com, led in part by my friend recommending them.

I don't know, as a younger man I spent hours playing Neverwinter Nights + 2, and can't be bothered in fantasy adventure games anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Bought all three as impulse purchases off GOG.com, led in part by my friend recommending them.

I don't know, as a younger man I spent hours playing Neverwinter Nights + 2, and can't be bothered in fantasy adventure games anymore.

Those games were infinitely less clunky than the Witcher games

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I played some nvn2 and have all the expansions. I put it off since I wasn't sure if I was getting into it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Sic Semper Goon posted:

it is okay to not like a game as long as you gave it a try. heck, it is okay to not like a game on principle.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I started up SR4 on my laptop and since unlocking the super jump/super sprint there's literally no point in compulsively collecting vehicles like I did in 3 because I can launch myself across the map holy poo poo this is the best but at the same time...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm near the end of persona 4 and it sure seems to be hellbent on making me hate teddie as much as possible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roro posted:

I started up SR4 on my laptop and since unlocking the super jump/super sprint there's literally no point in compulsively collecting vehicles like I did in 3 because I can launch myself across the map holy poo poo this is the best but at the same time...

Good news, you can turn on the radio while on foot.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Buddy, I cranked that poo poo on the second Zinyak dumped me into the world.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Roro posted:

Yeah when I want to actually GET somewhere, super movement is the way to go, but there's something satisfying in taking a random car and discovering it drives really well (or hilariously bad).

Plus there's the ability that gives all vehicles Nitrous and you have to check that poo poo out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

Hopefully that's something they fix in the next GTA because that poo poo was annoying in GTA V when you're just running around or riding a bike.

Also I know Nier:A specifically says they don't autosave but it is still annoying in the third playthrough where all of a sudden dying means you hit a Game Over instead of just kind of respawning like every other point in the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah when I want to actually GET somewhere, super movement is the way to go, but there's something satisfying in taking a random car and discovering it drives really well (or hilariously bad).

Plus there's the ability that gives all vehicles Nitrous and you have to check that poo poo out.

Summoning a car to form around you was dope as hell. It also added an extra layer of defense if your vehicle had offensive capabilities when you were doing flash points.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Hopefully that's something they fix in the next GTA because that poo poo was annoying in GTA V when you're just running around or riding a bike.

I cannot believe it took until the year 2013 for sandbox games to figure this one out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm playing the old RTS game Impossible Creatures, and I'm debating on getting a refund because it's got a few control issues that are driving me up the wall. I can't control the camera with WASD (or change the controls to be able to do that), and because I want to play in windowed mode, I can't mouse-scroll to the right because it the cursor goes to the second monitor.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:21 on May 29, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
don't play games in windowed mode

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Why does Dying Light spawn me gently caress knows where everytime I die??? The first volatile killed me, I spawned in a location I had never been, and then the game gave me an achievement for surviving night pursuit (???). I'm not dealing with this poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Slime posted:

Screen sized borderless window is vastly superior to the other options.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

why

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Makes alt-tabbing easier?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

what kind of scrublord doesnt have at least two individual computers in their lair?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Something that is dragging Saints Row 4 down is that resuming a saved game puts you back at the point you were at when you last completed a quest, not where you saved your game. This might be because I immediately hosed Kinzie off and went trawling for those data cluster things and claimed all the towers (hey, don't give me the option if I'm not supposed to, game. Also found a kickass spaceship on top of one) instead of completing all her tutorial tasks.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I was like that in 1 and 2, but still liked 3 enough to put 100 hours in to it and check out some of the books. Witcher 3 still has some clunky elements, but it's also the first open world RPG I've played where sidequests were their own reward.

Don't feel like you have to play the games in order, especially Witcher 1, which goes out of its way to distance itself from the franchise in weird-rear end ways.

If you tried Witcher 3 and hate it, fair enough.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Twitch posted:

Don't feel like you have to play the games in order, especially Witcher 1, which goes out of its way to distance itself from the franchise in weird-rear end ways.

Weirdest thing about W1 to me is how differently Triss' personality is written compared to the rest of the series; she comes off more openly manipulative and doesn't have the same charm as in 2 or 3.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

W3 is one of those games that I loved (aside from weapon degrading (can you mod that out?)) but I'm not sure I'll ever finish it.

If I were younger and had 6 hours a day to play, sure, but a dense game like that is pretty intimidating.
Same goes for PoE. I know I love it but I only have an hour to spare!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

W3 is one of those games that I loved (aside from weapon degrading (can you mod that out?)) but I'm not sure I'll ever finish it.

You absolutely can mod it, on PC at least, and I'd include a link but I'm phone posting and my browser crashes when I try to paste. That and removing the inventory limit was a huge QoL boost for me.

I've been putting off getting back into nier until I have the time to sit down and play a few hours. Past few weeks I either haven't had the time or haven't felt like being sad at a video game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

The funny thing is, due to the game's age, the default mode is basically fullscreen-windowed if you have two monitors.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gitro posted:

You absolutely can mod it, on PC at least, and I'd include a link but I'm phone posting and my browser crashes when I try to paste. That and removing the inventory limit was a huge QoL boost for me.

Oh thank god. Getting rid of some of the minor annoyances will get me right back in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

Weirdest thing about W1 to me is how differently Triss' personality is written compared to the rest of the series; she comes off more openly manipulative and doesn't have the same charm as in 2 or 3.

W1 Triss is basically Yennefer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I installed Last Mulana because I want to use my Vita for something other than playing PS4 in bed. Is the game supposed to be this floaty? The controls are just garbage.

And I checked the before I play wiki and apparently the fact it's confusing and obtuse means it's an epic good game? Fuckin' goons

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
La-Mulana is a test of how much bullshit you, as the player, are willing to put up with. The controls take some getting used to, but there's a whole bunch of poo poo like instant death traps, bullshit boss fights, and a puzzle that requires you to find clues that are on signposts scattered throughout the entire map. I never finished it, and I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to put up with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I installed Last Mulana because I want to use my Vita for something other than playing PS4 in bed. Is the game supposed to be this floaty? The controls are just garbage.

And I checked the before I play wiki and apparently the fact it's confusing and obtuse means it's an epic good game? Fuckin' goons

It is a trash game designed to be unpleasantly difficult and obtuse in addition to not being exactly the tightest control experience. Anybody who told you it was worth playing beyond the sheer novelty of designing what is basically a sadistic C64 game but with modernized memory limitations is someone whose reviews you should treat like someone who tells you La Retour a La Raison is worth watching on its own merits as a film.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Roro posted:

I replayed Just Cause 2 a while back and it has the same thing going on. They went through all the effort of putting a bunch of cars in the game, but using the physics defying grappling hook and magically replenishing parachute to get around was pretty much always faster. The only time I used cars outside of missions was blowing poo poo up with the APC a few times very late into the game. It doesn't exactly drag the game down because gliding around and blowing poo poo up is so fun, but I couldn't help occasionally looking down at all the cars and thinking what a waste.

Minor annoyance in Expeditions: Viking. Your main archer NPC is a peace-loving hippie unlike everyone else you bring along. Low morale for one guy doesn't have a huge impact and you can replace him with a custom NPC(which sadly have no real personality) if you want, but it just bugs me from a story perspective. Dude, I explicitly said that we're gonna go and raid England, not play nice and do diplomacy. Don't get all moody at me when I kick down some monastery's doors and take their poo poo. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Barudak posted:

It is a trash game designed to be unpleasantly difficult and obtuse in addition to not being exactly the tightest control experience. Anybody who told you it was worth playing beyond the sheer novelty of designing what is basically a sadistic C64 game but with modernized memory limitations is someone whose reviews you should treat like someone who tells you La Retour a La Raison is worth watching on its own merits as a film.

Um, excuse me, it's actually basically an MSX game
:goonsay: