Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Listen if you're not making candles out of your own earwax and wicking them with pubic hairs salvaged from your shower drain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

173,200 people aged 18-24 were claiming jsa or universal credits in march 2017, I'm not going to find out the exact number of them who were single 22 year old educated men living in a flat but let's take a leap of faith and assume there is one somewhere in the north of England. http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05871/SN05871.pdf

No I want to see it. You've posted at length about how lightbulbs are loving the poor and used an example to prove this that must be large proportion of 'the poor' for it to be relevant. Give us the data. Show me how many unemployed 22 year old single men there are living in one bedroom rented accommodation with no family support and no previous possessions.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

my mate daz is a single 22 y/o on jsa and he is doing alright

i mean he sells weed on the reg so that prob helps

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
cress adds a pleasant freshness and a nice crunch to an egg sandwich. and if you buy it once (often you can get it for 25p or less on clearance) you can grow your own forever more for just the cost of some cotton wool. that's an extra 20p a week you can put towards light bulbs!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Our 22 year old would be able to spend a lot less on gas if he was still allowed to insulate his flat with asbestos. It's political correctness gone mad.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ratjaculation posted:

How are his light bulbs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

How are his light bulbs?

Extremely power hungry and at risk of shorting out.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

learnincurve posted:

HOW??? You don't even seem to understand that a pensioner in disability benefits can easily afford stuff.

Let's play the living on benefits game.

Young man 22, university degree, no dependants, one bed flat in a northern town with rent of £80 a week in council tax band c.

£57.90 a week jobseekers. -£1.78 in council tax -£1 water rates. Leaves £55.12 per week to live on. Token meters which people on the dole can only get have a .25p a day standing charge on them so take away £3.50. That's £51.62 left before you even turn on a hot water tap.
Going to the job centre is £3, gas and electric £10. Now we are down to £38.62. Want to attend a job interview and keep a phone on so the employer can contact you? That's another £3 bus trip and a Giff gaff contract is £2.50 a week. Now we are at £33.12.

£4.73 a day. To buy food, clothing, furniture, white goods, bus fares and so on. I also didn't give this hypothetical young man a maxed out credit card or overdraft fees. That's another £5 a week, and drops the poor lad to £4 a day to live on.

Now how insignificant does that £3.75 lightbulb feel?

Lol at this profligate young man spending money on light bulbs when he could just sit in the dark

Pretty sure Aldi bulbs are a fair bit cheaper than that anyway, but this is a silly argument from start to finish. Not only is the cost of the bulbs not that much higher but the savings can be seen in the short term as well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

cress adds a pleasant freshness and a nice crunch to an egg sandwich. and if you buy it once (often you can get it for 25p or less on clearance) you can grow your own forever more for just the cost of some cotton wool. that's an extra 20p a week you can put towards light bulbs!

I grow chives in a bucket outside my front door. It's absolutely lovely to chop up a stalk or two in an egg/mayo sandwich or in scrambled eggs.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

who needs lightbulbs when ur lit as gently caress 24/7

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Previous page now, but whether the EU is a country is a more interesting question than whether Scotland is a country. (The answer is obviously no, but the argument is interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lj127TKu4Q

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my brother's dissertation was on whether the EU is actually a nationality (i think)

he concluded it wasn't (he voted leave)

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Ratjaculation posted:

To be fair the police don't go after the dealers and focus on the cannabis growers themselves

and even then the cocaine and heroin dealers are top priority

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Corbs is going first on tonight's debate after winning the coin toss, which has apparently pissed off the Tories as they wanted to go first.

Any ideas why he wants to go first, other than annoying the Tories?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Have we worked out the energy efficiency and failure rates of these oppressive LED bulbs to work out if they really are doing in the poor?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

going first means you're more strong and stable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suppose it lets you set the narrative.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

This is all well and good but have we worked out the price of empty pots and the price of compost to make sure garden centres aren't "doing" jobseekers?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

going first means you dont have to worry about lightbulbs

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Extremely power hungry and at risk of shorting out.

Illuminating.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

blunt posted:

Previous page now, but whether the EU is a country is a more interesting question than whether Scotland is a country. (The answer is obviously no, but the argument is interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lj127TKu4Q

Many Scottish nationalists refuse to call the UK a country.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/869269093618253824

I feel like this ad would work better if Corbyn was still as incredibly unpopular as he was at the start of the campaign. Now it literally just describes the election, albeit with Corbyn having come down with a bad case of the black-and-whites.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I've always found it extremely difficult to accept the concept of countries within countries.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TheRat posted:

I've always found it extremely difficult to accept the concept of countries within countries.

That's what Sovereign States are for.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Looke posted:

crisps are a pro move

Crisps on a sandwich are a pro move, but it means you need to buy non-Monster Munch crisps.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

jabby posted:

I feel like this ad would work better if Corbyn was still as incredibly unpopular as he was at the start of the campaign. Now it literally just describes the election, albeit with Corbyn having come down with a bad case of the black-and-whites.

I'd just like to ask everyone in the thread for an actual topic as opposed to bargaining our lightbulbs. Why do you think that Corbyn has gone up in peoples estimations over this election campaign?

I mean I like the ideas expressed by him and am in favour of most of his policy positions, and I'd like to hope that it's like that for everyone, but what do you guys think?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

jabby posted:

So Corbs is going first on tonight's debate after winning the coin toss, which has apparently pissed off the Tories as they wanted to go first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHE0wmgljco

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I'd just like to ask everyone in the thread for an actual topic as opposed to bargaining our lightbulbs. Why do you think that Corbyn has gone up in peoples estimations over this election campaign?
Because the government has shown in a very blatant way how bad + vacuous it is?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

The tory speech was going to be a hit piece that would force him to respond to it instead of talking about policies. Now he can talk about policies and they have to respond to that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Lol at this profligate young man spending money on light bulbs when he could just sit in the dark

Pretty sure Aldi bulbs are a fair bit cheaper than that anyway, but this is a silly argument from start to finish. Not only is the cost of the bulbs not that much higher but the savings can be seen in the short term as well.
The big problem with these efficiency saving calculators is they assume all inefficiency is waste. Incandescents are only about 2% efficient as lights, which makes them 98% efficient as heaters.

If you're in a house with electric heating only, that's pretty useful during winter, you can set the heaters a bit lower. Most of that is radiant heat too, so it warms quite evenly. Putting the big light on a bit early to warm the bedroom up during winter months was a fairly typical thing.

They still suck terribly during summer, and have lifespan issues and all that, and it would be far better to have LED lights and a quartz heater and not live in typical British housing stock, but I don't think you can say it's a flat 82% saving.

Radiant heaters are only about £9 now too, or you could probably get something like that next to free on gumtree, but that wasn't the case when the ban first started to come in.

Pissflaps posted:

They omit the last syllable.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I like the ideas expressed by him and am in favour of most of his policy positions, and I'd like to hope that it's like that for everyone, but what do you guys think?

The increased focus on the candidates since the election was called meant more people got to watch him speak directly rather than read what the papers said his opinions and policies were

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I think it's because people have actually seen him and heard about his policies. Before the campaign most people will only have heard of him via attacks from either the Tories, the right wing media or the PLP. When all you know about someone is that most of their party doesn't like them it's easy to conclude they're not a good leader. When you actually see them in person that initial impression can easily change.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

That's probably part of it, but Corbyn's favourability ratings seem to have risen by dramatically more than May's have fallen.

I imagine that an actual, positive message plus an anti-establishment vibe is going a long way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought it might be something like that. Though I was wondering if you asked people where exactly the narrative change comes from would you get a specific answer.

jBrereton posted:

This as well seems to be a major thing. It really is surprising how much the current government is shooting itself repeatedly in the foot.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's time to watch a poo poo non-debate my lads

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boris loving Johnson

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsTonight/status/869258725600632832

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Oberleutnant posted:

It's time to watch a poo poo non-debate my lads

only if you hate yourself it is

...not that that eliminates most of this thread I guess

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Lucky for the Tories and opposition alike that the trade in Colombian marching powder appears to be undeterred by Brexit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is this on tv or do I have to wait till 10pm for it to be on C4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Is this on tv or do I have to wait till 10pm for it to be on C4?

it's on C4 RIGHT NOW

• Locked thread