Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Harper looking like he's on the Jinder wellness plan lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

This is from a few pages ago, but I think it was Batista (or someone recently) on Talk is Jericho said WWE matches are less and less called in the ring and actually scripted more thoroughly before you get out there. I was disappointed to hear that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TRT is pretty much banned now in other sports as being pretty much just the same as steroids.

Left is on TRT. Right is off.

Supplementing someones testosterone leads to high muscle development, who knew.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly why is WWE even live anymore? Why not go back to taping shows. It's not like anything unexpected happens anymore. The matches are scripted everything the wrestlers say is scripted, and it's not like they have any loose cannons who might just start saying some crazy poo poo. Like what's the benefit of them doing live shows now?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Honestly why is WWE even live anymore? Why not go back to taping shows. It's not like anything unexpected happens anymore. The matches are scripted everything the wrestlers say is scripted, and it's not like they have any loose cannons who might just start saying some crazy poo poo. Like what's the benefit of them doing live shows now?

They know less people watch when there's spoilers available

They're already getting MNF-competition level ratings in loving May, 2 mil viewership is already not out of the question within the year. They'd just be making things worse for themselves, especially with a new TV deal negotiation being a year away and already having very little leverage for any kind of good result

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

They know less people watch when there's spoilers available

They're already getting MNF-competition level ratings in loving May, 2 mil viewership is already not out of the question within the year. They'd just be making things worse for themselves, especially with a new TV deal negotiation being a year away and already having very little leverage for any kind of good result

There's really no evidence that taped leads to significantly lower ratings. But their schedule would make it really difficult to tape both shows and I am almost positive their agreements with USA dictate live.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
They should just start bringing in paid extras as the audience.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

They should just start bringing in paid extras as the audience.

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic Lucha Underground might sue.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Gatts posted:

gently caress it. This is fine. Everybody else is roiding up too apparently

It's amazing looking back at times like the 80s where huge chunks of the business were on gear and coke and people bled nightly and did unsafe things with ungimmicked chairs and tables on top of working heavier schedules yet careers lasted as long or longer than they do now and the characters were so popular and iconic that even mid/upper midcard guys from the era still get nostalgia pops that outshine the current talent. The aftermath and the dead wrestlers before old age are tragic but it remains to be seen if the current talent will see similar death rates 10-20 years out.

Wrestling is a performance and nobody bats an eye when actors take and do dangerous poo poo to change their bodies for a role. There's no point in having the policy if it doesn't have teeth outside of calming shareholder nerves (since apparently part-timers aren't tested and you can get a waiver like Ryback did) so just quietly hand out exemptions, do token suspensions for the benefit of the company and let's get the Dino Bravo Memorial Bench Press tournament going in the fall of 2018.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CubsWoo posted:

It's amazing looking back at times like the 80s where huge chunks of the business were on gear and coke and people bled nightly and did unsafe things with ungimmicked chairs and tables on top of working heavier schedules yet careers lasted as long or longer than they do now and the characters were so popular and iconic that even mid/upper midcard guys from the era still get nostalgia pops that outshine the current talent. The aftermath and the dead wrestlers before old age are tragic but it remains to be seen if the current talent will see similar death rates 10-20 years out.

Wrestling is a performance and nobody bats an eye when actors take and do dangerous poo poo to change their bodies for a role. There's no point in having the policy if it doesn't have teeth outside of calming shareholder nerves (since apparently part-timers aren't tested and you can get a waiver like Ryback did) so just quietly hand out exemptions, do token suspensions for the benefit of the company and let's get the Dino Bravo Memorial Bench Press tournament going in the fall of 2018.

The death rate is definitely down. It's easy to overlook that drug testing does make it tougher for guys to abuse painkillers and that's what was killing a lot of guys super young. Remains to be seen if we see the steroid related deaths in the 40s and 50s though.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Do they have anything notable announced for RAW tomorrow? It's gotten to the point where I actually don't turn the shows on now

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dangerous Person posted:

Do they have anything notable announced for RAW tomorrow? It's gotten to the point where I actually don't turn the shows on now

its the go home show for extreme rules, so you can bet that... ah... poo poo i don't know, maybe a hardy and one of shesaro will have another match.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Jesus we're already at the next loving PPV?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Jesus we're already at the next loving PPV?

Rest of the PPVs from here [brackets are stuff that's not official yet, but some of it's definitely going to be because lol at having nothing happening in October or December otherwise]:

June
4 - Extreme Rules (Raw)
18 - MITB (SD)

July
9 - Great Balls of Fire (Raw)
23 - Battleground (SD)

August
[6 - Raw PPV]
19 - NXT Takeover Brooklyn 3
20 - Summerslam (both)

September
[10 - SD PPV]
24 - No Mercy (Raw)

October
[8 - SD PPV
22 - HIAC (Raw)]

November
18 - NXT Takeover Houston
19 - Survivor Series (both)

December
[17 - TLC (SD)]

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the maharaja

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic Lucha Underground might sue.

And yet they have WAY more entertaining matches than the bulk of WWE that isn't NXT or AJ Styles. Go figure. Also Austin should always be featured with the Smoking Skull Belt. :colbert:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jinder is the Maharoida

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

should be wearing a shirt that says NO HGH

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

CubsWoo posted:

it annoys me that modern wwe lets their wrestlers work a concussion-heavy style in pointless, heatless throwaway matches on raw but won't allow blading even in cage matches or hiac matches on ppv where it might add to the match.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

shiksa posted:

its the go home show for extreme rules, so you can bet that... ah... poo poo i don't know, maybe a hardy and one of shesaro will have another match.

I don't think Sheasaro have beaten the Hardys in any permutation at all and that's hilarious to me

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
jinder

mahal

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
WWE is loaning Noam Dar to his former home promotion ICW in Scotland for a match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlmXnC8XmV0

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

That's hilarious. "Most prestigious prize" indeed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
J i n d e r
M
a
h
a
l

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

The death rate is definitely down. It's easy to overlook that drug testing does make it tougher for guys to abuse painkillers and that's what was killing a lot of guys super young. Remains to be seen if we see the steroid related deaths in the 40s and 50s though.

I wonder if the injury rate for WWE wrestlers is higher today than it was 20-30 years ago because of more emphasis on "work rate" and the insane schedule today's workers have.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

The death rate is definitely down. It's easy to overlook that drug testing does make it tougher for guys to abuse painkillers and that's what was killing a lot of guys super young.

Not just painkillers, but combining wheelbarrows full of painkillers with swimming pools of alcohol (which basically chews up your heart, your pancreas and your liver).

super macho dude posted:

I wonder if the injury rate for WWE wrestlers is higher today than it was 20-30 years ago because of more emphasis on "work rate" and the insane schedule today's workers have.

The era of guys working 300+ dates annually has been over for years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

super macho dude posted:

The schedule was much crazier 30 years ago and guys aren't carrying around as much steroid mass now (even if some guys are juicing) so it balances out. There's probably more guys taking time off for injuries now because you aren't as punished for taking time off as you used to be.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/869243170080530432

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jinder Mahal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

super macho dude posted:

Isn't the injury rate been going up due to how the wrestlers train and get their bodies in shape at the PC?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Isn't the injury rate been going up due to how the wrestlers train and get their bodies in shape at the PC?

more injuries are reported these days but that's not quite the same

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i remember the old days when guys' arms would fall off in a match and when they got to the back they'd ask another guy to tape himself to their back and work with him to do the next match of a triple-header that same night. all unreported. Couldn't miss that extra $15

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This is the new andey, isn't it?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

The schedule was much crazier 30 years ago and guys aren't carrying around as much steroid mass now (even if some guys are juicing) so it balances out. There's probably more guys taking time off for injuries now because you aren't as punished for taking time off as you used to be.

Was the amount of travel greater or less than it is now, because that's cited as a large part of what makes the schedule so bad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Was the amount of travel greater or less than it is now, because that's cited as a large part of what makes the schedule so bad

Much worse. You'd be on the road for weeks straight with tour routes that weren't streamlined to make travel easier. Also WWE paid for a plane ticket to the tour but not one home so some lower card guys would have to stay on the road since it was cheaper than flying home for a couple days. Bad News Allen protested that and got the policy changed. WWF touring in the 80s was a lot like doing the European tour constantly. Crockett guys had about the same number of dates but they had to travel a bit less between cities. The AWA schedule was considerably easier than either even at their peak but by the mid 80s the AWA was in decline so it's not a good comparison.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
swipe right for jinder :D

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

*swipes right*

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Everyone in wwe should take steroids on camera and then cut scathing promos about how football players and baseball players and etc are too scared to take steroids.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhCBsombGY

Noam Dar and Alicia Fox vs Sasha and Rich Swann at Extreme Rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some painfully white people writing aside, Sasha sounds a thousand times more natural in that than in ring promos.

• Locked thread