Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That seems really dumb when they literally have all the rules required in the book that I'm buying. I just want goddamn Stormtalons and Land Speeder Storms :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Without the leaks of the Stratagems it is hard to say. Surely there is a Blood Angels one that keys off the Death Company keyword. That is where to look for good special rules in this edition.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

Also 2 wounds. That's a pretty good reason for them to get more expensive.

For each terminator you could get 2 bigmars

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

Most of the rules and data sheets for the Blood Angels leaked on Bolter and Chainsword. Really underwhelming from what I've seen so far, and they don't even give us any of the goodies we were missing from the vanilla codex despite the fact that this weekend they had a bunch of Centurions etc painted up in Blood Angel colors. Death Company get hit really hard. Hopefully this is more the new standard going forward than GW giving my army the shaft again...

Don't forget that Chainswords are still +1 attack, and you can absolutely run two Chainswords on Death Company models, or at least could in 7th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The same thing happened in 3rd edition when all of the rulebook codices we're extremely bland and basic.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

This all has to do with being able to separate the point cost from the unit entry so they can address and rebalance later. The can issue a new 'points cost' sheet at any time as a PDF that you just slip into your index this way instead of reprinting a whole bunch of pages.

Basically this. It's like the whole community had a stroke and forgot Battlescribe is a thing. Hell, at the rate leaks are emerging all lists will be downloadable before pre-orders are even up.

With that in mind, if anyone cares about Animes photos of all their rules are being posted on 4chan now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Basically this. It's like the whole community had a stroke and forgot Battlescribe is a thing. Hell, at the rate leaks are emerging all lists will be downloadable before pre-orders are even up.

With that in mind, if anyone cares about Animes photos of all their rules are being posted on 4chan now.

Facebook has it all up as well. Looks like Reddit is maintaining links.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 29, 2017

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Who the hell is posting Tau before Orks? :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Remember this guy?

It works the same way: vision through pure faith.

Haha holy poo poo that Sigmarine.

I guess this way there's a fluff reason for the moments when humanities ultra-finest miss their shots.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Miles O'Brian posted:

People thirsting for tau suffering mostly.

Ion riptides are 316 points plus mandatory drones and nova reactor always expends a wound to work.

E: and their base bs is 4+.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

nova reactor always expends a wound to work.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

I take back what I said. That's loving beautiful.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Miles O'Brian posted:

People who hate me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

These Chapter’s still trace their genetic lineage back to the gene-seed of the First Founding, and scions of all nine loyalists Legions emerged from the vaults beneath the red planet.

Writing is hard.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

I take back what I said. That's loving beautiful.

They have 14 wounds now so its fair enough, riptides are as expensive as they always should have been.

Here, its in lovely eye-strain-o-vision.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Genghis Cohen posted:

https://m.imgur.com/r/Warhammer40k/kPLQc

Someone put up some photos of what appears to be the chaos marines index. They are doubling down on the whole power thing it seems: data sheets have power and no upgrade points; a separate page of models' base points (no war gear) is also shown as we saw for the starter box.

It's not enough to turn me off completely, but it does seem like the least intuitive way possible of doing this. What the gently caress was wrong with the system from 10+ years ago where your points options were all listed in the army list section, you referred back to the war gear and special rules if necessary? I can absolutely see the utility of key words and rules printed on the one page datasheet. But the game is still a bit too complex for this to happen entirely, so you still need some keywords and some character war gear to go unexplained. So we still end up with USRs (which I saw no problem with) except it's not consistent which are keywords and which are printed out in full. It seems like the inconsistency enables designers to give some (not all) vehicles slightly different, very similar explode rules, when one USR would do.

I am becoming a grognard. gently caress.

Was kinda hoping Chosen would get beefed up stats to match Primaris, but if they're only 16 points that ain't happening

Clawtopsy posted:

Looking at those few pages, Black Legion Obliterators within 12" of Abaddon would result in seven rolls against a multi-wound unit. (Hit, hit, strength, wound, AP, damage, saves)

"8th edition is going to be faster"

loving knew it

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
A predator destructor went from 110 to 171. That's some bullshit

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 29, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

A predator annihilator went from 110 to 171. That's some bullshit

Looks like a lot of things are getting more expensive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Someone did a chart comparing old points costs to new ones. Looks about right to me, though some of it will depend on how the models change in power.

30% cheaper rubrics? Thank Tzeentch!

E: does not include wargear, that's worthless lol

goose willis posted:

What the gently caress is a Poxwalker

Is it just a Nurgle cultist or something

Its a rebranded Plauge Zombie. Zombies are kinda overdone so I'm cool with it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

A predator destructor went from 110 to 171. That's some bullshit
Uh. What kind of annihilators were you running? They should have been a lot more than 110.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like a lot of things are getting more expensive.

Yeah its just irritating seeing my squadron of destructors go from 1/6 to 1/4 of a 2k list. I'm fielding the tank legion and it seems like I have to focus way more on tac marines and devastators since they cost the same or less

Safety Factor posted:

Uh. What kind of annihilators were you running? They should have been a lot more than 110.

I edited my post to say deatructor already, as shown by what it says when you quoted me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Strobe posted:

At this point I'm hoping that GW at least realizes that this is a loving stupid way to handle points costs, and in three weeks/months comes out with an update that basically goes back to 7th edition's methods of pricing points costs. They're otherwise totally separate, so it's entirely possible that it happens.

I don't expect it, but it's still not impossible. :v:

I dont' think so. In White Dwarf there was just a GW guy going "I love narrative play personally, so I just add up some quick power points and we can battle!" like they're REALLY pushing that as a legit way to play.

gently caress dude I love narrative play but I still want some loving points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xtothez posted:

Nobody had a loving stroke. Its just really stupid to print the wrong values in the books when you could just otherwise. Battlescribe existing is irrelevant to the argument, unless you're saying people just straight up shouldn't buy the books at all and just make their lists using battlescribe, which GW wouldn't be keen on at ALL.

Its dumb design. Stop making excuses for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Narrative play doesn't need points because the kind of people who are playing narrative don't care.

The points are displayed in a terrible manner and it just encourages third party software. That's not a good thing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Y'all are getting irritated over quality-of-life issues, and meanwhile i'm sitting here being like "please just let my army work at all"

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The predator autocannon is directly competitive with the double lascannon now, so that's nice. I think an anmihilator was about 140? Now it's a little over 200. The autocannon is priced roughly the same as the lascannon now but the base cost went up 12 points and now you're paying another 50 for the standard gun on it.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Y'all are getting irritated over quality-of-life issues, and meanwhile i'm sitting here being like "please just let my army work at all"

Is this like the equivalent of "Space Marine Player Problems"?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm champing at the bit for Tyranid info. They are the army I want to run in 8th. My marines can stay in 30k.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ignite Memories posted:

pretty sure that's THE quality of life issue at the core of GW gaming

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ignite Memories posted:

I play Orks?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Some of those power vs points values seem real hinky.
Here's one that struck me immediately.

5 Death company with standard equipment cost 9 Power.
4 Sanguinary guard with their standard gear cost 10 Power.

Now compare the points values.

5 vanilla war gear Death Company are 17 points each, 85 for the unit.
4 vanilla war gear Sanguinary are 44 points each, 176 for the unit.

By Power it costs about 10% more, by points it's over double.

Incidentally the points version is actually much more reasonable in this case. Sanguinary Guard seem so much better than Death Company it's not even funny, jump packs, 2 wounds, encarmine blades, 2+ save etc.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Did anybody else notice that the combat knife and the chainsword have the exact same bonus?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deptfordx posted:

Some of those power vs points values seem real hinky.
Here's one that struck me immediately.

5 Death company with standard equipment cost 9 Power.
4 Sanguinary guard with their standard gear cost 10 Power.

Now compare the points values.

5 vanilla war gear Death Company are 17 points each, 85 for the unit.
4 vanilla war gear Sanguinary are 44 points each, 176 for the unit.

By Power it costs about 10% more, by points it's over double.

Incidentally the points version is actually much more reasonable in this case. Sanguinary Guard seem so much better than Death Company it's not even funny, jump packs, 2 wounds, encarmine blades, 2+ save etc.

I think this actually represents Power being determined for the best-equipped unit you can make, which is... well, it's better than having power be for all the standard wargear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pendent posted:

Did anybody else notice that the combat knife and the chainsword have the exact same bonus?

Yep, so much for chainswords being special.

Should have made them AP-1 or something :v:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Anyone got the Tau leaks?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Serotonin posted:

https://www.facebook.com/AOCPodcast/posts/1925887710989611

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Serotonin posted:

https://www.facebook.com/GrotOrderly/posts/1453285424737613 for glorious squint o-vision

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Cheers. Wtf did he photograph that with?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strobe posted:

I think this actually represents Power being determined for the best-equipped unit you can make, which is... well, it's better than having power be for all the standard wargear.

So you could give those 5 Death company, as you're perfectly entitled to do now, an Inferno pistol and a Power Fist each. Their Power Rating would still be 9, but their point value would now go from 85 to 285.

You've just broken the Power vs Points rating in the other direction. It's still broken.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I didn't say it was good (I don't think it is), but having Power account for full wargear is definitely better than Power being a naked unit and all the wargear is basically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It does illustrate that GW's happy 'Just turn up at your local FLGS and throw a list together to play with your new found friends using this simple power score concept' is basically bollocks though.

Two mirror-match lists that are theoreticaly identical based on unit composition and power rating could be massively different in points costs if one side went all in on wargear and the other person didn't.

• Locked thread