Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was focusing about a quarter of the way in, I wanted as much of the foreground in focus as possible and the focus to fall off to the back. The lens is a piece of poo poo though, it's probably exactly the same lens formula as the Industar 50 as found on cheaper Soviet SLRs of the period. It looks cool with a big, wide barrel but the front element is super small and it isn't sharp across the frame until about f/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sauer posted:

The low speeds on my Yashica Mat are a jamming. The internet tells me that's usually because of dried lubricants in the shutter timing mechanism. Let's just open it up and...

Mine has been in my closet for months for this exact reason. Your post encouraged me to do something about it at last, so I dropped it at a shop yesterday for a CLA.

Should cost as much as I paid for the camera but hey

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
A night in some lighter fluid freed up the lagging gear train without issue. It took quite a bit of force to actuate by hand and now its quite easy. I haven't had time to reassemble the camera though. Took the time while I was at it to clean the contacts for the flash sync as they were a little tarnished. There's a small spring clip that moves between two detents to hold the MX switch in whatever position you want and its quite worn on mine. Really easy to accidentally switch it to M mode. I'm thinking about affixing it in place in X mode with a bit of solder. Would require some contortions to get the cover plate back since the cutout for the switch is in the M position but shouldn't be a big deal. I'd just remove the switch outright but its a pretty important part of the Yashica Mat look and looking cool is more important than taking good picture am I right?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Finally got around to developing my first color roll. I chose some cheap rear end Fuji film ran through a 99 cent Pentax 105mm Good Will find. It turned out just as I expected, pure poo poo. I got the gist of it, so I got that going for me, which is nice. I'm going to share my wealth of personally developed poo poo photography.

Aside from being garbage photos, are those results decent for first time color development? I used the Unicolor C-41 kit and the colors seem to look ok on my monitor. I have 3 more rolls of 35 junk I'm going to practice with, then take on the pile of 120 I have saved up with PRECIOUS MEMORIES.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well fuuuuck, I bought a dud Olympus Stylus (f/3.5). Didn't have film on me since I bought it on a whim off Craigslist. Seemed to power on fine and shoot empty so I just slapped down the $50 and was happy. Brought it home, threw a roll in and it looks like there's a dead gear somewhere. It refuses to load film most of the time, then when it does I hear this horrible chunky grinding noise. Camera absolutely refuses to rewind in the sense that the takeup side has a death-grip on the film. The canister side seems to turn when rewinding but it skips and jumps and is erratic so I presume that whatever has a death grip on my film on the takeup side caused the gearing on the canister side to strip teeth TRYING to rewind the film.

C'est la vie and I'm only out $50 which is like $2 in photobucks so I guess unless this is a super easy thing to fix with some replacement gears I think this bad boy has a future as a shelf display :(

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Looks pretty good and consistent to me, especially for a first attempt. I'd be pretty stoked

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Well fuuuuck,

The odds of buying a used 35mm point & shoot that works to specification are like playing Russian roulette with 4 rounds in the revolver. More often than not, something's going to go wrong.

My Stylus seemed to work just fine, but after developing the first roll from it, I saw that it doesn't actually focus.

My XA has a smushy shutter button. So does my XA2.

Thought about stepping up to a GR, but the stories I've heard from other people about their woes with finding a decent one put me off of that.

Also looked at the Konica Hexar, but based on everything I've seen and heard, I think I'll skip it for now, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, after sleeping on it I'm not too surprised. I'll just call it a learning experience. Mostly annoyed that I wasted the $50 but in the grand scheme of things it's a non-issue.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1436129614/intrepid-8x10-camera-an-affordable-large-format-ca

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, after sleeping on it I'm not too surprised. I'll just call it a learning experience. Mostly annoyed that I wasted the $50 but in the grand scheme of things it's a non-issue.

I would not and have not paid $50 for any of the Olympus Styluses I own.

I got a free one, one from a Savers for $5, and one I bought solely for parts. I want to be mad FOR you. The only one I have left now is the first one, and it's a little rough. The nicer one from the thrift store locks up after taking a shot, makes a pretty nasty grinding noise.

Who the hell do they think they are trying to get $50 outta that camera?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Understanding posted:

I got a free one, one from a Savers for $5, and one I bought solely for parts. I want to be mad FOR you. The only one I have left now is the first one, and it's a little rough. The nicer one from the thrift store locks up after taking a shot, makes a pretty nasty grinding noise.

That's the going rate now. Be glad you got a deal.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Understanding posted:

I have seen a Pentax K1000 with I think two lenses and a cheap flash listed for $1200 on Craigslist.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
My local camera store know my weakness for Soviet film cameras and often put stuff aside for me to have a first refusal. They had a Lubitel 166 that was missing the 645 mask and their sticker price was €100.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

Looks pretty good and consistent to me, especially for a first attempt. I'd be pretty stoked

Sweet. I was pretty happy with the outcome, but was curious to see if it looked decent on other peoples monitors.

This is pretty cool and very tempting. I plan to move to large format someday.

I keep checking good will for steals on a stylus or some other cult camera. Not much so far, just a pentax 105mm for 99 cents and a Chinon Genesis IV for 1.50. Curious to see how the roll of film looks I ran through the Chinon. It looked so ugly and helpless sitting on the shelf, so I couldn't pass it up. I read up on it a bit on my phone before buying it and it looked like a pretty advanced camera in its time. The prices people are asking for older massively produced film cameras is insane. 50 bucks for a stylus is frikkin' awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Understanding posted:

If it worked I would be stoked about getting it for $50. The form factor is even nicer than I remembered from when I owned one in the 90s, and I'm not sure what else I can do for a legitimately pocketable 35mm camera.

My biggest regret about the $50 is that I cheaped out over spending $150 or so on a Stylus Epic 2.8, but in hindsight I should have just put that towards buying a known-good one on eBay or something.

e: I just took it apart and two gears are completely stripped. If I can find a busted parts camera I'm totally up for fixing this bad boy.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 26, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
look on the bright side, you could have spent $600 on a contax t2 and then have it broken down and been unable to get any repairs for it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What's the deal with the Intrepid 4x5? Birch plywood treated with teak oil ought to hold up nicely and can be milled to adequate spec, but considering the whole thing I wonder how precisely an average human can zero the front, compared to a Linhof or Chamonix.

Looks like a recessed lens board would be necessary to use something like a 75-65mm lens. But that'd be doable?

The backs are held on by clips with rubber bungees? I wonder how easy they are to replace once they lose tension or break.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
You know what? drat conventional control design, I prefer the shutter speed buttons on the ME Super to a knob. Just feels more natural to press buttons that sit under my finger anyway than fiddle with some round thing when the camera is in my face.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

fuji is discontinuing acros 100 in 4x5 and 8x10, also discontinuing natura 1600 in 35mm (tho i thought it already was)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's the deal with the Intrepid 4x5? Birch plywood treated with teak oil ought to hold up nicely and can be milled to adequate spec, but considering the whole thing I wonder how precisely an average human can zero the front, compared to a Linhof or Chamonix.

Looks like a recessed lens board would be necessary to use something like a 75-65mm lens. But that'd be doable?

The backs are held on by clips with rubber bungees? I wonder how easy they are to replace once they lose tension or break.

zeroing standards isn't as important as you think it is

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

If it worked I would be stoked about getting it for $50. The form factor is even nicer than I remembered from when I owned one in the 90s, and I'm not sure what else I can do for a legitimately pocketable 35mm camera.

My biggest regret about the $50 is that I cheaped out over spending $150 or so on a Stylus Epic 2.8, but in hindsight I should have just put that towards buying a known-good one on eBay or something.

e: I just took it apart and two gears are completely stripped. If I can find a busted parts camera I'm totally up for fixing this bad boy.

i took one of my stylus apart recently, was it the small gears that connect to the film spool that stripped? it hid away under some plastic on the right side of thr camera? the two sets of stripped gears were at the film spool itself and those little ones that connect it, i'm talking that stacked set of gears no more than a 1/4in big

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I got one of the first models but haven't used it a ton, the newer ones look a bit sturdier and more compact around the front standard. The screw that locks the front standard facing forward was slightly off-angle and the focusing mechanism wasn't the smoothest. The ground glass is a bit dim as there's no fresnel screen on it but you could replace that.

There's small screws on the rear standard which (should?) let you remove the rear bellows giving you access to the bungees but it might be worth messaging them to find out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Understanding posted:

i took one of my stylus apart recently, was it the small gears that connect to the film spool that stripped? it hid away under some plastic on the right side of thr camera? the two sets of stripped gears were at the film spool itself and those little ones that connect it, i'm talking that stacked set of gears no more than a 1/4in big

The gears in question were accessible after removing the backplate, popping the camera up a little while trying desperately to not jam a sausage finger into the flash capacitor, then unscrewing the little metal plate at the bottom of the whole assembly. I forget what they looked like at the moment but I'll take a snapshot when I get home today. One was a set of planetary-style gears and one was the gear that attached to them. Terrible descriptions, but to be fair they were terrible gears :q:

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

i think I get what you mean, there are two sets of these gears stacked on top of one another.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Understanding posted:

i think I get what you mean, there are two sets of these gears stacked on top of one another.

Yeap.

Broken and /filthy/

Good news is that this should be easy to salvage from any donor Stylus. Bad news is that they're all probably in the same condition :stonk:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

zeroing standards isn't as important as you think it is

and if it is to ou you can just do what I did to my chamonix and paint reference lines in it.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Yeap.

Broken and /filthy/

Good news is that this should be easy to salvage from any donor Stylus. Bad news is that they're all probably in the same condition :stonk:

that one on the left doesnt look all that familiar

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Understanding posted:

that one on the left doesnt look all that familiar

I forgot exactly how it was put together but it was in the same bundle of gears. Either way, I'll keep the camera handy just in case I run into another beater I can use. Right now it's taken up its new life as eye candy on my camera shelf :unsmith:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Local classic car club had an outing the other day so I came along and shot them with some classic camera gear.

These are with the Moskva which is quickly becoming my favourite camera. It's a 6x9 medium format camera that's just a blast to use. People love it when I ask f I can take their picture then press the button to unfold it.

Moskva023.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva021.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva006.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I'll have some colour 6x6 shots from my Arax in a day or so once I've scanned and cleaned those up.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

aint you the luckiest sonnabitch?

also, from what I can tell, the small gear's supposed to be riveted to the bottom plate, which is soldered the control boards on the camera. as you can see mine fell off.

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 31, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you ever chose to get rid of your garbage gears let me know ;)

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

i'll PM you, from what i can see i dont have much to take from this donor body than a nicer shell for the camera

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Some rolls back from the lab today. Mostly Ektar, some Portra.

Tanker by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Shipping by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Mirrors by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Det by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

So I found the most curious thing about my Canon 7 yesterday. I've been noticing sporadic light leaks from my rangefinder since I first got it 6-7 months ago but no idea what it could be. Doing the flashlight test over and over again I finally found the cause of my problem.

The camera has a metal horizontal curtain that works like any cloth curtain, one opens , then the next follows, but it's not closing all the way. A little sliver of light comes through from the end of the curtain ruining my shots.

How do you fix that exactly?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Finally found time to finish working on my Mat's shutter timer and its functioning just fine now. Timings are spot on for the faster speeds and well within tolerances for anything under 1/15th. Will probably get better as the new lube gets into the gear posts. Glad I didn't have to replace a worn out spring or anything. Tested with a photo transistor hooked up to the sound card. Teensie tiny little drop of machine oil on a soft brush was a great idea, thanks! Now to take apart the self-timer because its displaying exactly the same issue. Looks like its nearly the same sort of assembly as the shutter speed timer, just a little larger.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 5, 2017

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Understanding posted:

So I found the most curious thing about my Canon 7 yesterday. I've been noticing sporadic light leaks from my rangefinder since I first got it 6-7 months ago but no idea what it could be. Doing the flashlight test over and over again I finally found the cause of my problem.

The camera has a metal horizontal curtain that works like any cloth curtain, one opens , then the next follows, but it's not closing all the way. A little sliver of light comes through from the end of the curtain ruining my shots.

How do you fix that exactly?

There's two possible causes for this.
One is that the shutter is gummed up and the second curtain "loses steam" before it completes it travel. Could also be a tired mainspring, I guess, but unlikely.
Possibility two is that the shutter brake (whose function is to gradually decelerate the shutter curtains so they don't slam into the post) is over tensioned or simply out of adjustment. Also have you checked as to whether it's not actually slamming into the post full speed and bouncing back out? (Dead brake in that case.)

If you have a high speed camera, (smartphone etc) you could film your shutter and take a look at the width of the slit as it travels across the focal plane. If it changes width or is otherwise uneven that points to issue number one. I'd post some shots I took from disassembling a Canon VL for a friend but I dunno if that's helpful to you at this stage.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

without checking, all i can say is that it closes with a bit of a "Fwump", I can't take it apart just yet until i get myself a spanner wrench.

I'll try that the next time i have my camera on my bench

edit: quickly checking the shutter with my phone, everything looks like it functions normally, it's just the follow curtain may have a mm or less of travel to completely seal the exposure area from more light, if i recock the shutter there's no problem.

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 7, 2017

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I'm looking to get a film scanner to get all of my negatives scanned correctly.

I shoot mostly MF, is the consensus still to go with an Epson V* scanner? I was going to post this in the scanning thread but that seems to be archived now. I had my eye on the V600, as I can't really tell what the difference is between the V800 and the V600 except for the DMAX4 capabilities? I'm looking to spend about $2-300.

Thanks y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

scotty posted:

I'm looking to get a film scanner to get all of my negatives scanned correctly.

I shoot mostly MF, is the consensus still to go with an Epson V* scanner? I was going to post this in the scanning thread but that seems to be archived now. I had my eye on the V600, as I can't really tell what the difference is between the V800 and the V600 except for the DMAX4 capabilities? I'm looking to spend about $2-300.

Thanks y'all.

The V800 is going to be noticeably better, but unless you're printing really large, the V600 is totally fine, especially for your budget.