Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Were they ever in a movie together?

I think oddly enough they both voiced characters in Captain Planet, but never in the same episode.

Of course, in fairness, pretty much anyone who was anyone in the early '90s voiced a character on Captain Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

married but discreet posted:

American Gods is so consistently good, and I suspect that being able to go all out crazy with their filler material plays a huge part in it. Makes me think that last episode's bad video game intro CGI sequence must have been intentional, it's so baffling.

I think everything Fuller does is intentional, so that was what I got out of that. They wanted it to feel like a storybook, the tale of the a God who died. But yeah it's Fuller to the max, just like the new Twin Peaks is Lynch to the max. I love it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Coffee And Pie posted:

Just watch until they reveal who killed Laura Palmer, then watch like the end episodes and you'll be good

LesterGroans posted:

You'll probably get more out of it if you at least watch episodes 1, 7, 9 and 22 of season 2. Or the whole season. Or just spoil the ending of season 2 and see how season 3 grabs you.

Okay, does this matter tho if ive seen FWWM?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Okay, does this matter tho if ive seen FWWM?

Style-wise it's more in-line with FWWM (and other Lynch films) than the seasons proper. The season 2 finale is kind of a cliffhanger so I'd at least check it out online or look it up so you're prepared for where certain characters are in season 3.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TrixRabbi posted:

This post didn't get enough love. It's a very flawed film but Ridley Scott is a flawed man and the film is completely him embracing death and questioning the purpose of a world so full of grotesque horrors and merciless inhumanity.

It just feels so flimsy in the face of the new Twin Peaks.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hell no, I'm powering through the poo poo episodes of season 2, you don't get to just skip them. If nothing else, the evolution of the musical score is a thing to behold.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

married but discreet posted:

Hell no, I'm powering through the poo poo episodes of season 2, you don't get to just skip them. If nothing else, the evolution of the musical score is a thing to behold.

Uhg fine, ill be back in two years to discuss season 3 yall

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I didn't enjoy any of the original Twin Peaks except the times when Cooper is on the screen. v:shobon:v

It's not even that I dislike Lynch, I love Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead and what I've seen of his short films / cartoons. I just didn't have any attachment positive or negative to the sitcom-era stuff that Twin Peaks is presumably parodying(?) and as a result most of it is just boring.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 29, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I saw a momma & baby woodchuck today walking my dorgs, so basically my day is already dope

Cute lil critters

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

I saw a momma & baby woodchuck today walking my dorgs, so basically my day is already dope

Cute lil critters

Well-trained too! Do they also know to scoop the poop? It's a shame you didn't take pictures.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So this is probably a goonish question but right now I'm staying in a hotel and the person above me just seems to pace back on forth all day from like 6am to 11pm with their foot steps increasingly just getting to me thumping in my head. I general I'm not used to having an upstairs neighbor so is this something I just need to suck up and get used to or is it appropriate to maybe ask them to stomp around a little less? Like in general it's hard for me to gauge if their just walking around normally or are being particularly stompy and if they're just sort of normally walking I don't want to complain about them doing that and I don't know it's just so unending but if I'm being the rear end in a top hat here I'm willing to just be the rear end in a top hat in silence.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Can you record this for us

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Sounds like a ghost. You're in a ghost hotel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

K. Waste posted:

I didn't, it was just the DC UNIVERSE ANIMATED ORIGINAL MOVIES, I only watched Return of the Caped Crusader out of good faith to Lurdi.

I'll probably check 'em all out at some point, but I need to take a long break direct-to-video animated movies. The well's too poisoned for me to be objective.

Mask of the Phantasm wasn't direct to video, and the only reason it doesn't have at least an Oscar nomination is because it predates the feature length animated film category.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

glam rock hamhock posted:

So this is probably a goonish question but right now I'm staying in a hotel and the person above me just seems to pace back on forth all day from like 6am to 11pm with their foot steps increasingly just getting to me thumping in my head. I general I'm not used to having an upstairs neighbor so is this something I just need to suck up and get used to or is it appropriate to maybe ask them to stomp around a little less? Like in general it's hard for me to gauge if their just walking around normally or are being particularly stompy and if they're just sort of normally walking I don't want to complain about them doing that and I don't know it's just so unending but if I'm being the rear end in a top hat here I'm willing to just be the rear end in a top hat in silence.

Assuming the hotel isn't booked solid, call the front desk and register a noise complaint. Generally speaking, the manager-on-duty will go upstairs, take a listen, and politely ask the guest to cut the noise down. It's entirely possible this guest has no idea that they're causing so much noise.

I'm not up to speed on Massachusetts law, but in every state where I've worked in a hotel, hoteliers have pretty much unfettered latitude to ask a guest to vacate the room for just about any reason that doesn't involve discrimination. And since nowadays everyone's so obsessed with their TripAdvisor ranking, they might just offer to change your room.

But long story short, you're paying them to put your head in a bed and you have a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet, so don't be afraid to call the desk.

Edit: Also, walking around a hotel room for like 17 hours a day seems like an incredibly odd way to spend one's time. :stare:

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 29, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I think everything Fuller does is intentional, so that was what I got out of that. They wanted it to feel like a storybook, the tale of the a God who died. But yeah it's Fuller to the max, just like the new Twin Peaks is Lynch to the max. I love it.

It reminded me of the CGI wood doll story at the start of Hellboy 2. Somewhere between a storybook and something acted out with toys.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

It reminded me of the CGI wood doll story at the start of Hellboy 2. Somewhere between a storybook and something acted out with toys.

Yeah, or the Elder whatsit's from Harry Potter 7.1.

It's pretty cool that we have a show on TV that can start out with a 5 minute short, animated film and end with a drat good Crispin Glover performance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Assuming the hotel isn't booked solid, call the front desk and register a noise complaint. Generally speaking, the manager-on-duty will go upstairs, take a listen, and politely ask the guest to cut the noise down. It's entirely possible this guest has no idea that they're causing so much noise.

I'm not up to speed on Massachusetts law, but in every state where I've worked in a hotel, hoteliers have pretty much unfettered latitude to ask a guest to vacate the room for just about any reason that doesn't involve discrimination. And since nowadays everyone's so obsessed with their TripAdvisor ranking, they might just offer to change your room.

But long story short, you're paying them to put your head in a bed and you have a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet, so don't be afraid to call the desk.

Edit: Also, walking around a hotel room for like 17 hours a day seems like an incredibly odd way to spend one's time. :stare:

okay, next time it gets too bad, I'll try talking to the front desk.

Also, there is a chance that it is a family with kids staying above me so it might not be the same person making footsteps all the time but rather various people

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't enjoy any of the original Twin Peaks except the times when Cooper is on the screen. v:shobon:v

It's not even that I dislike Lynch, I love Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead and what I've seen of his short films / cartoons. I just didn't have any attachment positive or negative to the sitcom-era stuff that Twin Peaks is presumably parodying(?) and as a result most of it is just boring.

It's a soap, not a sitcom. I can't speak to how it plays if you don't know or like that form cause I do but sitcoms aren't the referent that's going to help you with Twin Peaks.

K. Waste posted:

Cute lil critters

I caught a snapping turtle yesterday to show my son. Not a very big one, a juvenile that was probably confused by some mild flooding we had recently and got isolated from a water source. He was wandering around a parking lot. I took him to a meander in a creek and let him go after.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My understanding of Twin Peaks is a general understanding of the plot and watching the Giant Bomb playthrough of Deadly Premonition. I tried watching the original years ago and it just didn't click with me, that said - Season 3 is loving buckwild and I love it.

That and American Gods has been the best combo of outright buckwild television I've seen in a long time.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

China Mieville's book October about the soviet revolution is dope as hell guys.

Also, im finding myself really enjoying a lot of Zizek's lectures on youtube. I'll be fully insufferable soon enough.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
"My dharma is the road. Your dharma is......(waves hand)"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

China Mieville's book October about the soviet revolution is dope as hell guys.

Also, im finding myself really enjoying a lot of Zizek's lectures on youtube. I'll be fully insufferable soon enough.

Yeah, after hearing him talk about it on Chapo, I really want to check it out. I've never read any of his writing, but I have heard of him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

So it turns out that AVP goes downhill visually very quickly - and that the version I'm watching is actually the "unrated" version with all the hilariously bad CGI blood that was added in on home video just to exploit the baseless fan rumor that the film was edited down to PG-13, even though it was clearly always designed to be a PG-13 movie.

It was always designed to be PG-13, but there were several bits that did have to be trimmed. The chestburster scene is slightly extended in the unrated version, Weyland's death is extended, and a brief bit where one of the Predators digs around in a Xenomorph's guts was added.

Every other addition is pure marketing, and those three don't make a noticeably different movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, after hearing him talk about it on Chapo, I really want to check it out. I've never read any of his writing, but I have heard of him.

I'm almost finished and it's beautiful.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Get some ambien

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/869270225354620930

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
a Bigly box

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Aw man the family cat had to be put down today. We've had her since the Columbia explosion and now it's the first time my parents haven't had a cat since like 1990 and I'm bummed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Shrink on SeeSo. It's very funny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Aw man the family cat had to be put down today. We've had her since the Columbia explosion and now it's the first time my parents haven't had a cat since like 1990 and I'm bummed.

I'm sorry man. Between you and Lil Momma I'm bummed about pets in this thread.

My friend is an artist and we're commissioning him to make us something for our cat that passed away last month. I'll post some pictures once it's done, but the guy does cool stuff with layered cut paper in a frame.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I wonder how many Big League boxes go out before they start crosspromoting DeVos approved Amway stuff.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sorry to hear :( Hope everything goes well for them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that thread title might be a bit much

i mean i laughed but it's not my pets

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Haha oh man

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo that thread title

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Holy poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This thread makes me worry for my cat

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

:( I'm sorry, man. It's really rough adjusting to not having a cat anymore. I sleep next to a stack of books now instead of my little demonking and it's not the same.

Also, thread title is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Losing a pet is really sad but this thread title is great. I think a cat would appreciate it FROM BEYOND.

• Locked thread