Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

nielsm posted:

Perhaps part of the problem is that all the warnings are posted at the person operating the system at the moment. One part of a solution could be to still detect unusual medication amounts, but instead of requiring the present operator to sign it off, require a third party to review the order.
Except that in this case, that third-party would be required to review tons of these things and then they'll suffer from fatigue as well and things will slip through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

nielsm posted:

Perhaps part of the problem is that all the warnings are posted at the person operating the system at the moment. One part of a solution could be to still detect unusual medication amounts, but instead of requiring the present operator to sign it off, require a third party to review the order.

Isn't that the role that the pharmacist was supposed to be fulfilling? The second person in the chain to not notice the error, in the narrative.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The solution is something he talks about on the last page - the mode change from from mg to mg/kg has to be clear, and the warnings need to be more carefully tiered, so that "There isn't a pill of this dosage, please adjust", "This is getting close to maximum recommended dosage", and "This is 40x the lethal dose, idiot" look completely different (and the last one needs to be harder to dismiss).

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, I'm not trying to speak of "blame" in terms of who to punish. I'm talking about blame in terms of where the error came from and who is capable of fixing it. If the bad specification, rather than negligence by programmers, is the cause of the problems with the software, that still doesn't change the fact that the software has problems, and those problems need to be fixed.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about as well. I'm saying that it's likely that the developers would probably have tried to get a lot of these things changed and gotten blocked by the guidelines/client who hired them. Eventually after enough refusals to change these, they'd stop trying so hard. Even more importantly, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the domain knowledge to know what's important and that the person who coordinated with them wasn't being useful in this regard.

Basically, I've seen so many non-critical-domain projects get designed with even bigger flaws like this, because the client demanded it/the client didn't explain what's important about it/the client didn't offer any or enough feedback to know how people actually use the software. Add in the tons of regulations medical things have to follow and suddenly you've got a recipe for design hell if you don't have someone on board who knows exactly what the software needs to do and is willing/able to put in the time to help (which no project ever does).

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Snak posted:

It was very scary how many of my classmates in software engineering though that it was bullshit and that our professor "didn't know what he was talking about" when were were required to have a design document before coding our project. They really all just wanted to wing it.

The problem with this is that most profs want to teach SE and coding at the same time. It's a good idea in theory. But in practice you need to be a fairly good coder before you can think on the scale where SE matters and too many students I've met have had to do silly things like design documents or (ugh) stepwise refinements of Hello World.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, this was a 4000 level course, so it was basically all juniors and seniors.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Snak posted:

If most software is really written by each coder interpreting what they think the customer wants and then implementing it however they see fit without communicating it to any other members of the team working on other parts of the project, that would explain a lot about the current state of software...

Well sometimes you have a spec that you mostly just ignore because it's a pile of gibberish.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I think good SE practices are hard to teach because they don't scale downward. Not well. The kinds of programs you can code in a single semester are pretty toy, and you don't really see the benefits of proper SE at a small level.

I found the same problems learning Gang of Four OO programming. Until you have problems with more than ~120 objects it just a seems like over-complicated architecture.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lifg posted:

I think good SE practices are hard to teach because they don't scale downward. Not well. The kinds of programs you can code in a single semester are pretty toy, and you don't really see the benefits of proper SE at a small level.

I found the same problems learning Gang of Four OO programming. Until you have problems with more than ~120 objects it just a seems like over-complicated architecture.

Yeah, really the best way to learn the importance of these is to work on a project of that magnitude and realize how bad your intuitive solutions are.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, really the best way to learn the importance of these is to work on a project of that magnitude and realize how bad your intuitive solutions are.

Would it violate some ethical rules to have students make contributions to a large open-source project of some kind as a finals assignment?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NihilCredo posted:

Would it violate some ethical rules to have students make contributions to a large open-source project of some kind as a finals assignment?

I don't think so. Here's a paper encouraging this practice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There were people in my class who would push code to master without checking if it even compiled.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Snak posted:

There were people in my class who would push code to master without checking if it even compiled.

Should lose a letter grade every time they do that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Snak posted:

I'm surprised that people in classes (that isn't a git class) managed to push to master.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

NihilCredo posted:

Yes, think of the poor open source maintainers.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Snak posted:

If you don't have continuous integration that rejects changes that don't compile, this will happen all the time, even with relatively conscientious developers and strict code review.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Snak posted:

In this analogy, the bridge's weight limit was clearly posted, but there were so many signs along the side of the road that drivers stopped reading then.

In general, this is an example of why requirements analysis is such a crucial step of the development cycle.

It was very scary how many of my classmates in software engineering though that it was bullshit and that our professor "didn't know what he was talking about" when were were required to have a design document before coding our project. They really all just wanted to wing it.

BDUF is in general a pretty bad way to run projects.

lifg posted:

If you're on smaller projects, it _is_ over complicating the architecture.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

lifg posted:

That's why instead of teams of 4 (or whatever) the entire class should be run like a single engineering team building one project with the prof as CTO. Thirty people in 12 sprints allows you to build very much a non-toy project.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Something that can be built by students in a single semester of part-time work isn't exactly a toy, but you still aren't going to hit a lot of the pain-points of real world software development.

I really don't think there's any reasonable classroom replacement for a good internship.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Of course there isn't. My point was about what you​ should learn in a classroom.

But I don't really know anything. I went to a state school that could barely be bothered to grade assignments...

I only losted initially to say that if coders don't understand the end result they are trying to accomplish, there is no way for them to achieve it on purpose.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Master_Odin posted:

Except that in this case, that third-party would be required to review tons of these things and then they'll suffer from fatigue as well and things will slip through.

When i was doing some work on a space project certain commands require dual authorisation.

What we discovered was that the operators shared their passwords so one person could complete the auth without needing someone else to auth, also it was hard for a person to check the command as all it gave you was a modal popup to auth
so they couldnt confirm what the command was without cancelling and then redoing the auth from scratch

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

HardDiskD posted:

I'm surprised that people in classes (that isn't a git class) managed to push to master.

Agreed. I had a class that ostensibly taught us how to use git alongside some other stuff and ended up being everyone just using dropbox because nobody understood how to handle a conflict (that came up every other push because we were all working in 2-3 classes).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheresaJayne posted:

When i was doing some work on a space project certain commands require dual authorisation.

What we discovered was that the operators shared their passwords so one person could complete the auth without needing someone else to auth, also it was hard for a person to check the command as all it gave you was a modal popup to auth
so they couldnt confirm what the command was without cancelling and then redoing the auth from scratch

Anything that relies on two people to check each other will be bullshat just the same as if it required one person to check themselves. Laziness always wins out if it can.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

lifg posted:

This is so true. I've been coding for about 2 years, and my very first semester of college we had a course on requirements analysis, which was all about creating various UML diagrams. The students had no prior experience coding so none of the diagrams or concepts made any sense to us. The prof droned on and on about inheritance, polymorphic behaviors, and showed us seemingly endless amounts of diagrams (2-3 different types every lecture). The students had no context for how any of these concepts could be applied, and as a result it was pretty useless.

Similar thing happened in second semester, when they taught us design patterns and data structures combined into a single 1 semester course. Design patterns seemed to just over-complicate everything and the teacher was very poor at explaining their actual real-world application. One of his favorites was the Singleton pattern which is pretty widely criticized as being an antipattern. I think he just liked it 'cuz its easy to remember how to code them

A while ago a bunch of design patterns finally clicked for me, and I realized that they are mostly just taking advantage of OOP concepts, especially polymorphism. From a beginner's perspective, it seems like a ton of design patterns are just about using interfaces rather than implementations whenever possible, and keeping things as generic as possible. They seem useful for large applications but could easily be overkill. I'm still a bit lost as far as the purpose of a factory, especially an abstract factory. I believe it's to help "the client" instantiate objects but abstract away the logic for choosing which type of object to create. Does that sound about right? What's the real world application? Is it better performance than just instantiating objects? What's the point of always dealing with interfaces rather than specific objects?

Didn't even touch Big O, complexity analysis or optimization in this program. Any tips on where to start on this topic?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Snak posted:

That's good experience for the workplace.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That was the professor's logic yes. But the end result of everyone's first and often only contact with version control being a frustrating mess that they didn't understand was that​ most people hate it and didn't see any benefit to it. I feel like lessons that showed how vcs could be useful would have been better...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Pollyanna posted:

Anything that relies on two people to check each other will be bullshat just the same as if it required one person to check themselves. Laziness always wins out if it can.

It's not even necessarily laziness, in fact it could be the opposite.

A lazy user might put up with a burdensome procedure because if it slows down work, that's not his problem and he's more than happy to sit around waiting for the proper authorisation to roll in. Even if everything burns down in the meanwhile, hey, his rear end is covered.

A well-meaning user might actually care about his work and be more worried about not being able to intervene in an emergency. So if a security measure could slow him down and he doesn't think it's truly necessary, he'll try to get it out of the way. The most famous example is probably the U.S. armed forces setting their launch codes at 00000000.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sometimes I'll try to explain to my parents what I do. I never get the feeling that they really get it. My most recent discussion was around just this subject...UI/UX and guarding against human behavior. They're smart people, but I don't think they ever really got it. It kind of gives me an idea of one of the obstacles in creating large systems with multiple parties involved in decision-making. A good fraction of the parties involved just aren't going to get it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ornithology posted:

This is so true. I've been coding for about 2 years, and my very first semester of college we had a course on requirements analysis

Similar thing happened in second semester, when they taught us design patterns and data structures combined into a single 1 semester course.

Oh my god. I've don't know which is more terrifying.

Ornithology posted:

A while ago a bunch of design patterns finally clicked for me, and I realized that they are mostly just taking advantage of OOP concepts, especially polymorphism. From a beginner's perspective, it seems like a ton of design patterns are just about using interfaces rather than implementations whenever possible, and keeping things as generic as possible.

That's it. It's using the features of objects, like polymorphism, to build systems of objects that adapt easily to changes.

Ornithology posted:

Didn't even touch Big O, complexity analysis or optimization in this program. Any tips on where to start on this topic?

A better school? Big O is an easy way to measure and compare complexity, and you shouldn't optimize an algorithm until you know its complexity. I don't know where to start learning it, but I'd guess Khan Academy.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

lifg posted:

A better school? Big O is an easy way to measure and compare complexity, and you shouldn't optimize an algorithm until you know its complexity. I don't know where to start learning it, but I'd guess Khan Academy.

CS50 does a fantastic job of explaining Big O. I'm not sure which specific lecture it's in but you can probably dig it up if you do a few minutes of digging on YouTube or edX, and there's also this short related to the class as well which was helpful. Luckily it's rather straightforward to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9sHGlYV5A

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Ornithology posted:

A while ago a bunch of design patterns finally clicked for me, and I realized that they are mostly just taking advantage of OOP concepts, especially polymorphism. From a beginner's perspective, it seems like a ton of design patterns are just about using interfaces rather than implementations whenever possible, and keeping things as generic as possible. They seem useful for large applications but could easily be overkill. I'm still a bit lost as far as the purpose of a factory, especially an abstract factory. I believe it's to help "the client" instantiate objects but abstract away the logic for choosing which type of object to create. Does that sound about right? What's the real world application? Is it better performance than just instantiating objects? What's the point of always dealing with interfaces rather than specific objects?
Here's a simple real-world example. Let's say your application communicates with a database. There are many database providers around: Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres, etc. They're all slightly different, but you don't wanna hardcode your application to a specific one. Your application doesn't really care, it just wants a database. That's where interfaces come in:

code:
// no matter which provider is here
IDatabase database = new SqlServerDatabase(host, port) // or new OracleDatabase(host, port) or PostgresDatabase(host, port)

// you interact with them all the same way via the interface
database.select()
database.update()
database.insert()
So your application just interacts with a common interface while each provider supplies the specific implementation As far as your application is concerned, that implementation is hidden away in a black box somewhere far away from you.
There's still a problem though. You don't have to care about which implementation you're using, but you still have to provide it. That sucks, the application doesn't care about that, that's probably something the user will wanna configure themselves. That's where factories come in:

code:
// now we don't even know what implementation we're getting, and we don't care
IDatabase database = DatabaseFactory.getDatabase();

// the factory will worry about loading a config and doing what's appropriate
There, now your application doesn't have to care about that either. It's still the same old code, you're still instantiating objects and calling methods, just organized and abstracted in a way that makes what you want more modular.

Patterns aren't "just for large applications". They may seem excessive when the code is small, but they're useful everytime you don't have (or want) full control over everything (third-parties, architectural layers, black boxes, etc). The key decision is deciding what you need to abstract. Everything has trade-offs. Large applications love not thinking about this at all, abusing the hell out of patterns by just abstracting everything away to the point it's actually more complex to deal with than concrete implementations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The hardest part of implementing design patterns is knowing when to stop.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Not a horror but made me laugh.

code:
#pragma once

#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#define NOGDICAPMASKS    
#define NOVIRTUALKEYCODES
#define NOWINMESSAGES    
#define NOWINSTYLES      
#define NOSYSMETRICS     
#define NOMENUS          
#define NOICONS          
#define NOKEYSTATES      
#define NOSYSCOMMANDS    
#define NORASTEROPS      
#define NOSHOWWINDOW     
#define OEMRESOURCE      
#define NOATOM           
#define NOCLIPBOARD      
#define NOCOLOR          
#define NOCTLMGR         
#define NODRAWTEXT       
#define NOGDI            
#define NOKERNEL         
#define NOUSER           
#define NONLS            
#define NOMB             
#define NOMEMMGR         
#define NOMETAFILE       
#define NOMINMAX         
#define NOMSG            
#define NOOPENFILE       
#define NOSCROLL         
#define NOSERVICE        
#define NOSOUND          
#define NOTEXTMETRIC     
#define NOWH             
#define NOWINOFFSETS     
#define NOCOMM           
#define NOKANJI          
#define NOHELP           
#define NOPROFILER       
#define NODEFERWINDOWPOS 
#define NOMCX   

#include "windows.h"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Working with an outside dev team for a small Marketing site where they're handling the site design and WordPress (yes, I loving know) theme customization. We were running that site for the longest time on a single server with no dev or test environment. It wasn't mission critical and we're a small company and most our leads come from another source. Eventually we decided to try on our big boy pants and move to a server host that doesn't suck balls and have random outages several times a year and I setup a load balanced configuration with failover for the site and backend DB and dev/test server then told the web devs they'd have to make their changes in dev and let me know when stuff was ready to deploy to production which is, of course, the bare minimum everyone should be doing anyway. (I wasn't involved in the initial server setup at the old host)

These jackass will not stop loving whining about not having direct file system access to our production servers. Maybe if they'd never made a mistake with their changes I could seed why some inexperienced devs would think it's unnecessary red tape, but I to frequently have them fix their poo poo because they make changes without even doing minimal testing/checking of the results. The most glaring one recently was a search button they needed to fix and their style changes hosed up the position and padding in an obvious way. Their excuse was that it was an IE problem. Nope, every browser looked the same and that is the only thing you were working on for the fix, come on.

I've also had to go through and redo their work for really basic poo poo, like one of their custom themes tracks some stats in the DB in a custom table and their code tries to recreate that db every single time the page is loaded. It also doesn't even check to see if the URL params are null before trying to insert a row of all null values (in non-nullable columns). WordPress being as awesome as it is was hiding the exceptions and things "worked". I only noticed this by chance I was looking at other WordPress crimes against computing trying to figure out some performance issues. Occasionally we ask them to tweak something or fix an issue and instead of doing that on the dev server, testing it and letting me know they tell me to edit file xyz and change line # to such and such. Just no. You tell me when you've done that the right way, we're paying you so I don't have to screw with PHP or Wordpress and the time you spent typing up the instructions and emailing me was probably longer than it would've taken to just do it the right way.

There's also almost a 100% chance they're not using any source control system at all.

Still don't understand the whining about no prod access when they're not working with the prod site or prod content at all. Why is it such an ordeal to email me when it's time to push to prod? JFC.

I'm going to try and convince the owner (who selected a tiny local web dev company) to switch but then I'll end up having to find their replacement and that will suck.

I'm not an admin but I get to handle all the server poo poo because we've been too small to have a full-time admin so far but I think I'm gonna start asking for one. Rackspace does a decent job with the extreme basics of managing the servers but their hands off when it comes to the databases with our current plan. Getting a fully managed database through them costs about half as much as hiring a Linux admin with some MSSQL admin experience full time so I'm going to push for that.

The company is at that awkward point where we have enough random server and general IT issues to have those issues take up a significant portion of my time, keeping me from staying focused on dev but it's still not enough to keep someone busy full time. Hoping we can find a good admin wanting to get into dev.

...and that's what I would do if I were the King of all the Universe!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Plorkyeran posted:

Something that can be built by students in a single semester of part-time work isn't exactly a toy, but you still aren't going to hit a lot of the pain-points of real world software development.

I really don't think there's any reasonable classroom replacement for a good internship.

Another issue that I ran into with my SE class (which I had taken after a summer internship): trying to get everyone in the group together to talk about things was like pulling teeth. No one was ever available at the same time.

At least in a workplace, everyone is (at least theoretically) paid to work together to make the product, so there's a different set of incentive structures compared to a classroom.

Sure, there are analogs for that in workplaces; but it's a lot easier to :yotj: than to figure out how not to let your group cause you to fail SE.

SupSuper posted:

Patterns aren't "just for large applications". They may seem excessive when the code is small, but they're useful everytime you don't have (or want) full control over everything (third-parties, architectural layers, black boxes, etc). The key decision is deciding what you need to abstract. Everything has trade-offs. Large applications love not thinking about this at all, abusing the hell out of patterns by just abstracting everything away to the point it's actually more complex to deal with than concrete implementations.

Abstracting out parts of your code from one another gives you flexibility if you defined good APIs as part of the abstraction. More often than not, when I see abstractions make things more complex, it's that the API wasn't well-defined and/or it wasn't a full abstraction and all sorts of concrete details end up crossing the barrier, and now you've just added more detours in what's already a spaghetti mess of code.

But yes, you can also take it too far. If you can't easily trace what your code is doing, then you failed—and some of this falls in the category of "code organization".

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Spatial posted:

code:
#include "windows.h"
I wonder what's left.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

code:
dong = optionalButt.map(ButtObject::getSomeButtField).orElse(null);
if (dong.length() > 2) {
:mad:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Quite a lot. There's an unbelievable amount of poo poo in that header.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Spatial posted:

code:
#pragma once

Found the real horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ratbert90 posted:

Found the real horror.

what's wrong with that?