Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Team Fortress 2 is the best FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Minecraft is poo poo

It's not fun and it's not pretty and I never really hear anyone speak well of it in real life but it seems insanely popular
i've never heard anyone talk about minecraft irl, but i've definitely seen kids (mostly boys) wear minecraft shirts. that's the main audience for that game, it's basically a lego toybox video game

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Minecraft is pretty fun under certain conditions:

No abstract, impenetrable game-mode mods that require you to fully understand it to begin participating. Basically anything that changes the way players interact with each other, but doesn't provide any visual cues as to what your status is or what you're supposed to do.

Anti-grief mods in place OR a small world with no restrictions whatsoever. Minecraft Classic was great in that you'd get these dense jungles of constructions overlapping each other.

MCMMO or some other mod that boosts mining productivity makes Survival mode much more fun.

A stable server with an active community of people who build grinders and automatic farms.

This sort of server, however, requires a teleport mod because the spawn area will get mined out in a hurry.

Adult servers are best; but with good mods a server can have kids and not suck.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Penny Arcade is occasionally great; but is so insufferable the rest of the time that it isn't worth following to get to the good ones.

(one half of that seems likely to be unpopular, I'm not sure which.)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a loving slog. Almost every chapter has a point where you need to go back and forth a million times. Almost always there's some door, with the key at the beginning of the chapter. After the door there might be some other roadblock, and the means to go forward are back at the beginning again. The original had some lovely chapters, but even the worst ones never required you to go back and forth on a straight line. Hell, even Flower Fields had a little hub area.
The game isn't offensively bad, but holy hell it's not the pinnacle of Mario RPGs and would be way better if it was cut in half.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Penny Arcade is occasionally great; but is so insufferable the rest of the time that it isn't worth following to get to the good ones.

definitely the first half. i'll admit, i liked the comic about Mario Party, the comic about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the "i haff tvelve metchsteek" Professor Layton comic. but everything else i've seen is forgettable or terrible

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The brain bore in N64 Turok is one of the best weapons in video games

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

like a cigarette should posted:

The brain bore in N64 Turok is one of the best weapons in video games

I don't see how a fact like this could be unpopular.

My opinion: Red Dead Redemption is a better GTA game than all the GTA games.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

Minecraft is pretty fun under certain conditions:

No abstract, impenetrable game-mode mods that require you to fully understand it to begin participating. Basically anything that changes the way players interact with each other, but doesn't provide any visual cues as to what your status is or what you're supposed to do.

Anti-grief mods in place OR a small world with no restrictions whatsoever. Minecraft Classic was great in that you'd get these dense jungles of constructions overlapping each other.

MCMMO or some other mod that boosts mining productivity makes Survival mode much more fun.

A stable server with an active community of people who build grinders and automatic farms.

This sort of server, however, requires a teleport mod because the spawn area will get mined out in a hurry.

Adult servers are best; but with good mods a server can have kids and not suck.

Jesus you just play it with your friends on a server one of you puts up and as long as there's no rando children it's fine

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought the gameplay in spec ops was fine: miles better than say Bioshock 1. it felt good to shoot the mans, your dude moved round the place well and the guns sounded good.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Line was p good. It may not age well, but it was a solid third-person tactical shooter.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
The Marathon games are better than any Doom game (and are also the only good games Bungie ever made)

The only good Final Fantasy was Tactics for the PS1 (and maybe 9)

Psychonauts was a good setting ruined by mediocre and samey gameplay.

There are exactly two good games associated with the Might and Magic universe: HoMM3, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Dark Forces is the best Star Wars game because flight sims are for autists.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Jumpoff posted:

There are exactly two good games associated with the Might and Magic universe: HoMM3, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
I grew up with 2, but HoMM3 really did perfect the system. I feel sorry for people who haven't played it.

At the suggestion of...somebody?.. in this thread I am playing Dark Messiah now and it is really good so far. So thank you, person I don't quite remember!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

phasmid posted:

I grew up with 2, but HoMM3 really did perfect the system. I feel sorry for people who haven't played it.

At the suggestion of...somebody?.. in this thread I am playing Dark Messiah now and it is really good so far. So thank you, person I don't quite remember!

Dark Messiah is one of my favorite FPS RPG's now that it actually plays well. It has a lot of good secret hunting, a lot of very, very fun exploration mechanics (rope bow is god) and a lot of hidden weapons that make every class type viable, the only thing keeping me from saying it's a perfect game is the voice acting (and, to that extent, the writing, which is hammy as poo poo, but that's keeping in line with the Might and Magic universe honestly).

An opinion I forgot to post: I automatically assume anyone who enjoys playing the Smash Bros games "competitively" has poo poo judgement and hates fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoTapir posted:

I like pennyarcade but I'd agree with this, I catch up every week or two and normally get a couple of faint smiles. I like their first fifteen vids though.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Melee combat games should always be third person, being able to see your character do the cool poo poo they are doing is part of the fun. For first person melee to be good, it needs to feel like you're actually in a fight and have to be aware of your surroundings - getting hit in the face by an axe wielding skeleton or whatever should be disorienting and stressful. If you got surrounded by five guys then you hosed up and deserve to get battered around and have a hard time doing anything. I would like to see more games where enemies grab the player while their friends just beat the poo poo out of you.

Some reasonable examples in this video, except Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dFwA5bftg

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Jumpoff posted:

Dark Messiah is one of my favorite FPS RPG's now that it actually plays well. It has a lot of good secret hunting, a lot of very, very fun exploration mechanics (rope bow is god) and a lot of hidden weapons that make every class type viable, the only thing keeping me from saying it's a perfect game is the voice acting (and, to that extent, the writing, which is hammy as poo poo, but that's keeping in line with the Might and Magic universe honestly).

An opinion I forgot to post: I automatically assume anyone who enjoys playing the Smash Bros games "competitively" has poo poo judgement and hates fun.
"Competetive" most games is poo poo but yeah, there's nothing like going over to a friends house for Smash and some lame who attends tournaments going "ugh, you can't be that character. he's broken as hell" etc etc whining like a baby.

Then he chooses Fox.

TheMostFrench posted:

Melee combat games should always be third person, being able to see your character do the cool poo poo they are doing is part of the fun. For first person melee to be good, it needs to feel like you're actually in a fight and have to be aware of your surroundings - getting hit in the face by an axe wielding skeleton or whatever should be disorienting and stressful. If you got surrounded by five guys then you hosed up and deserve to get battered around and have a hard time doing anything. I would like to see more games where enemies grab the player while their friends just beat the poo poo out of you.
As long as they don't do that shaky-cam b.s. I can take flash grenades, but shaky-cam can suck it.

That said, a giant hammer to the head should kill ANYTHING. Yes, even an Arch-Lich. "Oh, abloo, but that would make the game too easy!" Bitch, give the Lich high awareness and aura detection so you can't sneak up on him. The worst thing about TES is that the combat has gone nowhere since Morrowind. Well, that and nerfing all the spells. Bring back levitate you lazy fucks!

Skyrim was dumb because if a grizzly bear attacks you, you have only to slash it a few times with your dagger because you're a blade expert, but you're in for a real fight if you run afoul of a frozen mummy in lovely armor even if you hit square on its rotting skull with Volendrung.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

phasmid posted:

Skyrim was dumb because if a grizzly bear attacks you, you have only to slash it a few times with your dagger because you're a blade expert, but you're in for a real fight if you run afoul of a frozen mummy in lovely armor even if you hit square on its rotting skull with Volendrung.

This happens in a lot of RPGs though, it's a consequence of Numbers Go Up design. Either you force the player to grind rabbits and snakes for a few hours, or you go ahead and give them a real fight and set the seeds for narrative dissonance later on, while also letting slip the fact that XP/Level is just a pacing mechanism that doesn't mean anything in terms of the player's actual power or agency in the game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

This happens in a lot of RPGs though, it's a consequence of Numbers Go Up design. Either you force the player to grind rabbits and snakes for a few hours, or you go ahead and give them a real fight and set the seeds for narrative dissonance later on, while also letting slip the fact that XP/Level is just a pacing mechanism that doesn't mean anything in terms of the player's actual power or agency in the game.
It just seems a drat shame that the object of a lot of RPGs is now "fulfill the prophecy" instead of "do a bunch of quests at your own pleasure, then become a god among mortals who rarely even encounters a real challenge but when you do BOY HOWDY". The latter lets you make your own character. The former makes your character for you.

I get what you're saying and perhaps it'll stay that way but I think some people are pretty bored with it. :shrug:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Dark Messiah bros unite.

Unpopular opinion: Sniper Elite sucks and I very clearly enjoy shooting nazis in video games

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

I get what you're saying and perhaps it'll stay that way but I think some people are pretty bored with it. :shrug:

this is why mods exist

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

a bone to pick posted:

this is why mods exist
I am not a game designer. I'd rather play games than fix them.

vvv My guess is because people who write the most content about the games are the people who love it.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 30, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

why is there hardcore grinding in modern-day RPGs, and furthermore, why is it celebrated as a good game design decision?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nigga crab pollock posted:

Jesus you just play it with your friends on a server one of you puts up and as long as there's no rando children it's fine

I have like 1 friend who plays minecraft and he is a child who likes to play those autistic mods.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Everything Bethesda touch, and to an extent Bioware, have become the worst excesses of lowest common denominator gaming. Objectionless broad mass appeal with no genuine artistic direction or substance. They're games where the experiment is just "how far can I bloat a regular RPG experience" and then just widening and widening until the games are just 100 hour monsters with about 5 hours of main story and 95 hours of unfulfilling, uninteresting fluff.

Skyrim has some nice environments and that's where it ends. The saddest part is that they just graphically updated the loving turd that was Oblivion and made it longer. Even the combat is the same insipid sigh-fest. Compare it to Dark Messiah, basically a contemporary of Oblivion, and you just weep salty loving tears at how if anybody with an ounce of understanding of "fun" were employed at these places how much their megabucks budget could actually make a good game.

The reason people raved about how New Vegas was better than FO3 wasn't because it was functionally a better game, it's just because it's shorter with a coherent narrative and some semblance of character.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

Everything Bethesda touch, and to an extent Bioware, have become the worst excesses of lowest common denominator gaming. Objectionless broad mass appeal with no genuine artistic direction or substance. They're games where the experiment is just "how far can I bloat a regular RPG experience" and then just widening and widening until the games are just 100 hour monsters with about 5 hours of main story and 95 hours of unfulfilling, uninteresting fluff.

Skyrim has some nice environments and that's where it ends. The saddest part is that they just graphically updated the loving turd that was Oblivion and made it longer. Even the combat is the same insipid sigh-fest. Compare it to Dark Messiah, basically a contemporary of Oblivion, and you just weep salty loving tears at how if anybody with an ounce of understanding of "fun" were employed at these places how much their megabucks budget could actually make a good game.

The reason people raved about how New Vegas was better than FO3 wasn't because it was functionally a better game, it's just because it's shorter with a coherent narrative and some semblance of character.

you have it backwards, Bethesdas strength was making big simulation worlds with an inconsequential "main story". they gently caress it up when they try to do a story, see Fallout 3 and 4. Bethesdas best game was Daggerfall

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Jumpoff posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

holy poo poo this game is so good it's insane. it's the only good implementation of first person melee combat in any game ever

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

holy poo poo this game is so good it's insane. it's the only good implementation of first person melee combat in any game ever

Dying light has a pretty cool drop kick reminiscent of Dark Messiah.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf0brwDJAsk

it has weight, and parrying that feels like parrying. plus kicking people off cliffs and daggering people through the chest while they're stunned. its so good

you know the duke nukem kick is pretty universally a well accepted gameplay element and i don't think it's in any games besides duke nukem 3d and dark messiah. i mean it's one of the things that people will guaranteed mod into a game but ???

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 30, 2017

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jeza posted:

a lot of oblivion's flaws are still in skyrim but they made the overall experience much better. like yeah oblivion had a couple of really good sidequests far better than anything in skyrim but you're forgetting that the entirety of oblivion looks loving identical, there's basically nothing outside of major cities, all of the dungeons were completely copy-pasted with nothing inside of them, and you have to spend hours in hell to complete the story which is hands down the worst dungeon crawl experience in video game history.

like they leveled out the peaks but raised the dips and the end result is.. well its pretty mediocre but i'd argue its a better game

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 30, 2017

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

It has the only good cliff top segment in a video game because you can kick all the orcs off. Also, fun fact about Dark Messiah: it was made by Arkane Studios, the people who made Dishonored, which is another game i think is pretty good.

new phone who dis posted:

Dying light has a pretty cool drop kick reminiscent of Dark Messiah.

Getting the drop kick is what saved Dying Light for me. The power curve in that game is dumb, at the beginning you're weak as poo poo and have to run from anything other than a 1 on 1 fight and at the end all the weapons one shot anything.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

you have it backwards, Bethesdas strength was making big simulation worlds with an inconsequential "main story". they gently caress it up when they try to do a story, see Fallout 3 and 4. Bethesdas best game was Daggerfall
Daggerfall's main story was fuckin nuts tho. Also I loved that it was so unforgiving. Yeah, that guy your level 2 rear end pissed off in a random encounter in the tavern? Werewolf. Save the game if you want, but tomorrow night, he's gonna kill ya.

you know the duke nukem kick is pretty universally a well accepted gameplay element and i don't think it's in any games besides duke nukem 3d and dark messiah. i mean it's one of the things that people will guaranteed mod into a game but ???

It was one of the funner things in the Jedi Knight series, too. Some sith lord guy runs up in your spot with lightning and fire and without even turning to face him d+[kick] and boot his rear end off a cliff.

I'm loving the hell out of it in Dark Messiah, too. Since kick is so rare, I guess kicking is unpopular in videogames?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fallout 4 is a thoroughly enjoyable game.

It's also best played in third person.

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

souls games would genuinely be much, much better on handhelds so you're not tied to a tv for hours trying to murder a boss properly

like bloodborne and ds3 are real pretty but dark souls 1 would totally run on a vita or switch

hell, get real weird, go all the way back to demon's souls with hub worlds and poo poo

(also release the kings field games for pc/psn)

what the gently caress am I even reading

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I'm stunned and just plain shocked that there are so many stealth games, and that they're as popular as they are. rear end creed, horizon, deus ex, dishonored, watch dogs, far cry (if you want to), etc. Tons of popular stealth games. I mean...stealth of all things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what the gently caress am I even reading

opinions, about video games

it wasn't like some dense coded screed you dumb motherfucker

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spelunky best game

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Postal 2 also had a kick but it's not that great until you install the mod that instakills anyone and ragdolls them to hell.

And yes, Spelunky best game.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

final fantasy rankings

TACTICS
Tactics
Tactics A2

REAL GOOD
V
VI
XII

I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME BOY ONE
Legend III

DECENT
X
IV
IX

WHAT
VIII
XV
Tactics Advance
I, II, III
VIII
VII

NO
XIII

MMO
XIV
XI

THE REST
The rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Postal 2 was trash

I like ridiculousness but that game was really just gross trash

"Lets make a game where you hack civilans apart and piss on them"
- actual real developers