Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

milk milk lemonade posted:

Go find work that doesn't involve the government, that's my suggestion.

is this a 5 year suggestion? 10 yr? ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cCJqya7wc

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

moodyhank31 posted:

Any thoughts on contracting in Afghanistan? Intel and probably Bagram.

YMMV but the only contractor that went to Bagram that I knew died in that last attack.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Soulex posted:

YMMV but the only contractor that went to Bagram that I knew died in that last attack.

I think "YMMV" is a suitable assessment of the entire GWOT for all involved

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah. My stay in Iraq was bullshit and stuff but other people had it worse. Some had it better.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Officially no longer in the active duty (4 more years for IRR) army. Hooray.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Aranan posted:

*recall papers appear out of nowhere*

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Aranan posted:

3 years and 364 days till WW3 lmao

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Just move, never update your address, never respond to anything IRR sends you. I had some E8 call my cell phone on while on IRR and threaten me because they'd never heard from me. I told him that was the plan and hung up, never heard another word about it. gently caress the Army, eight year commitment my rear end

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just move, never update your address, never respond to anything IRR sends you. I had some E8 call my cell phone on while on IRR and threaten me because they'd never heard from me. I told him that was the plan and hung up, never heard another word about it. gently caress the Army, eight year commitment my rear end

*edit* screw it. Do what you want. :D

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

That's a good way to get your discharge changed from honorable, to general.

And?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It's not even true

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You "could" piss somebody off enough to make it personal and get recalled.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's not even true

Is there no discharge from the irr? at the end of it?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

spacetoaster posted:

Is there no discharge from the irr? at the end of it?

i certainly discharged when i got out :quagmire:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i certainly discharged when i got out :quagmire:

The pullout method.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I wouldn't know, they have no way to ge a hold of me

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Hahahahah, exactly.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Army Thread: That's a good way to get your discharge changed from honorable, to general. 

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pesticide20 posted:

Army Thread: That's a good way to get your discharge changed from honorable, to general. 

Still true though. :colbert:

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

Pesticide20 posted:

I wanna be an eš complaint, not a general.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Still true though. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure they didn't even do that to people who refused to be recalled. Certainly isn't happening because you don't update your address

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I'm pretty sure they didn't even do that to people who refused to be recalled. Certainly isn't happening because you don't update your address

Would it surprise you if it did

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
It would, but I've also been free and clear of any sort of commitment for a while now. Never heard of it happening and I worked with some folks tasked with tracking down people on IRR for a while :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It would, but I've also been free and clear of any sort of commitment for a while now. Never heard of it happening and I worked with some folks tasked with tracking down people on IRR for a while :shrug:

I wouldn't call it a sure thing, but the enforcement/punishment of not fulfilling your obligation (ignoring letters, calls, muster, etc) can go as far as a general discharge/recall.

Especially if you admit to the army that you are willfully doing those things: "I told him that was the plan and hung up".

Back during the surges they made examples of IRR dudes by doing those things.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
yah idk I think I'd need to have you cite your sources on that. 'Making an example' of someone on IRR is a convoluted pain in the rear end

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I ignored everything I was sent and didn't update poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They'll find you if they want to. I moved cross country and my CIF bill still made its way to me.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The son of one my family friends just put this up on Facebook:

"Thinking of my grandfather, Capt. [name removed]. He was a doctor with an M.D. from Baylor. He served in the US Army Medical Corps attached to the New Mexico 515th Coast Artillery unit, which, along with the 200th, served with bravery and great personal sacrifice in the defense of Luzon, Bataan, and Corregidor, earning several Presidential Unit Citations. This photo was taken at Ft. Bliss during training exercises before he and his comrades were sent to the Philippines in August 1941. Following the surrender of Bataan on April 9, 1942 and Corregidor on May 6, 1942, he was captured. He survived the Bataan March and was held as a POW at Camp O'Donnell and Cabanatuan Prison until October of 1944. That's over 900 days, which according to what I have read was an extraordinarily long time. He died on October 24, 1944, in the Arisan Maru tragedy. He was 35 years old.

One of Japan's WWII "hell ships", the Arisan Maru was transporting nearly 1800 US and Allied military and civilian POWs, when it was torpedoed by a US submarine. Fewer than 10 prisoners survived. To this day, it stands as one of the largest wartime losses of American lives at sea in history.

My grandfather was posthumously promoted to Major, awarded the Purple Heart for his service, and a Bronze Star, the highest military decoration awarded to noncombatants. He also received a Presidential Citation, signed by Franklin Roosevelt.

The Bronze Star Citation reads:

"Captain [name removed] performed highly beneficial services for his fellow prisoners of war during the historic march out of Bataan, and later at Japanese Prisoner of War camps at Camp O'Donnell and Cabanatuan, Luzon, Philippines Islands, from April 1941 (*) to October 1944. As a medical officer, he zealously cared for the sick in spite of orders to the contrary and severe beatings from his captors. Though exhausted and sick, he distributed smuggled medical supplies where urgently needed, and by his inspiring efforts greatly reduced the suffering of his weaker comrades. "

(*) The citation gets the date wrong. It should read April 1942.

After my grandmother's death, my father found a check for $100 among her effects that my grandfather wrote to someone with a Filipino name. It was presented to my grandmother for payment after the war. The letter that accompanied it explained that my grandfather had written it for black market medical supplies that he managed to smuggle into the prison at Camp O’Donnell.

Of course, I never knew him. My father and my uncle barely knew him. But the loss of him has figured large down through three generations in my family, as has the example of his dedication and sacrifice."

I've known the man for years and I knew that his father died in WW2, but I never knew that he survived the Baatan march, or really anything else about his service.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I got an email about updating my info shortly after I got out. Nobody has tried to call me or sent me any letters about it since. I just get waves of reserve recruiting letters. :shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I had a reserve career counselor call me and yammer on about stuff about the IRR. He said he was going to shoot me a text/e-mail with more details but I never heard anything further.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I tell every recruiter I'll only switch back to the select reserve if they promise me a spot at one of those Cyber Command units where you don't wear a uniform and don't take a PT test.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does that actually exist? :btroll:

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I believe you're technically AWOL if you don't show for an IRR recall, but I haven't heard of anyone getting hosed up for skipping out. Seems like the army relies on threats and just hopes they don't have to follow through.

When I was recalled in 2009, the cadre I was talking to said the army sent orders to about 500 dudes for my recall group and only 200 or so showed up to Ft. Benning. If that's anywhere close to average, I seriously doubt they have the time and resources to even attempt to track down and gently caress with that many no-shows.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah there's units like that all over the Army reserve, especially IMA positions. You basically just do your PT test once a year (do the minimum, nobody cares), find a random unit to do IWQ with, and then they send you to a local contracted facility for SRP. Otherwise you just show up to work at your agency for AT and ADOS assignments and don't do any other military poo poo.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It would almost be worth doing that for a random month during the year for retirement points and beer money, assuming no Army poo poo beyond doing your job and doing a minimum PT test.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
there is nothing remotely worth doing in the army that i can't do for better pay/lifestyle as a civilian.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Except getting out. I don't think anything in civilian world aside of getting locked up that compares to getting out of the military.

But even then, being an ex con is probably a better feeling than being a veteran, at least initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
BY THE WAY I AM STONED BECAUSE gently caress THE ARMY HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA