Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched the original 5-part opener of the original DuckTales series because it had been mentioned so often here. DuckTales came out 2 years before I was born, so I never saw it or any of the other shows in the cadre of Disney shows that premiered in the late 1980s. I thought it was great. The third part involving the Mayans wore on me because I've seen the plot used repeatedly in The Road to El Dorado and other places, but I thought the other parts were relatively original. Then I went digging through some wiki articles about DuckTales, and details like the running joke about Scrooge's first dime left me feeling excited for the reboot. David Tennant sounds surprisingly as close to the original voice actor as I've ever heard when switching voice actors.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I mean they could always just write their female characters the way they would write a male character

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don't understand, are you saying that.... female character could be... well-written? That can't be right, everyone knows that's a myth!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In all the guy's examples, the female characters are in the "magic superpowers" category, and that's really the root of the "overpowered" problem he describes, the same problem as Superman. Except for Beast Boy, the other Teen Titans are in the "technology superpowers" category. I never watched any version of TMNT, but I don't see how he doesn't see that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

galenanorth posted:

In all the guy's examples, the female characters are in the "magic superpowers" category, and that's really the root of the "overpowered" problem he describes, the same problem as Superman. Except for Beast Boy, the other Teen Titans are in the "technology superpowers" category. I never watched any version of TMNT, but I don't see how he doesn't see that.

Because girls are icky, you see

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Hey dude, we thought it would be really funny if we put you in a romantic relationship with a child, lol"

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dangerous Person posted:

I mean they could always just write their female characters the way they would write a male character

"How do you write women so well?"

"I think of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and I take away reason and accountability."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

"Hey dude, we thought it would be really funny if we put you in a romantic relationship with a child, lol"

It was probably more like "we need another incidental design, let's do a cameo again" and this time it resulted in very bad optics

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a lot of minor or extra character designs are based on staffers

the specific problem here is that the dude whose likeness and VA are used is also writing for the character so ignorance can't really be claimed

On his part I'd hope for an explanation, everyone else on staff I'm not weirded out by just because staff cameos are a way of modern cartoon life. He's the one who puts the words and actions and motivations in, so he needs to say something here

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It would be one thing if the cameo was just a one-shot gag of like a background character that gets pointed out as being cute.

When he's a reoccurring voiced character that Blossom goes completely gaga for as a central plot point whenever he appears, it's extremely suspect.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OK KO is coming in August.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's kind of sad how even the show admits the Kraang were terrible villains by having Splinter say normal human soldiers with guns are more dangerous than aliens with superior technology.

EDIT - They clearly want me to be sad about Splinter's death but they've pulled his poo poo four times already, so ultimately I feel nothing.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 29, 2017

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, it's one thing if your self-insert is just a little jokey side character, but if you're going to make him like an actual love interest, more thought needs to go into it.

And then the fact that the show is just plain bad amplifies the controversy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, it's one thing if your self-insert is just a little jokey side character, but if you're going to make him like an actual love interest, more thought needs to go into it.

And then the fact that the show is just plain bad amplifies the controversy.

It's really the trifecta of *Character looks like and is voiced by staffer*, *Staffer writes each episode in which character appears*, and *Main character is infatuated with character* that does it.

Like, if it's just one of those elements, or even two, then it's a bit weird, but okay, whatever.

All three together is just... yeesh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and that's all of TMNT season 4.

It could have been good if all of its plot points weren't repeatedly drawn out or informed by previous stretches of terrible writing.

Overall, part one is solid dreck, while the back half gets a C-.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SlothfulCobra posted:

more thought needs to go into it.

I think we've found the show's biggest problem

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
CN is really trying to push the new Ben10 but it fails so terribly at being either action nor comedy. The production values feel similar to the new PPG as well, even including subpar VO direction. Every attempt at a joke is strangled in the crib.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, they're gonna have new episodes every Friday this summer along with Teen Titans Go, so either they're REALLY pushing it, or it's actually taking.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Even if it does catastrophically here, Ben 10 is apparently insanely popular in a chunk of places abroad to save it from the cartoon hell the new incarnation deserves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can speak firsthand that Ben 10 is really popular in South Africa.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, and it looks like CN's rolled out their summertime packaging.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the new Ben 10 loses massive points because the new Stinkfly design is infinitely more boring than the original.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

the new Ben 10 loses massive points because every design is infinitely more boring than the original.

Also no Paul Eiding.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
On the one hand I feel kinda bad that Ben 10 is tanking because the woman who does Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is a boarder on it, but on the other hand I have precisely zero desire to actually watch it so :shrug:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also no Paul Eiding.

This is the show's greatest sin, easily.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

the new Ben 10 loses massive points because the new Stinkfly design is infinitely more boring than the original.

Is it still recognizable as Stinkfly yet has a simpler design such that it's easier and cheaper to produce merchandise for?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They also don't have Wildmutt, which I'm 99.9% sure is because Wildmutt doesn't talk and can't quip.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xelkelvos posted:

Is it still recognizable as Stinkfly yet has a simpler design such that it's easier and cheaper to produce merchandise for?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh Christ, I didn't realize how bad it was!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BioEnchanted posted:

If there's really that many romantic subplots maybe the tagline should be changed to from "Heroes in a half-shell" to "Heroes at Half-Mast"

Now I can't get the image of a CG version of Scientifically Accurate Ninja Turtles out of my head.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

rewatching the 2003 TMNT series because I want to watch a good Turtles show

still one of the best twists in animated media ever, in my opinion

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TMNT '03 turned into hot garbage within a few seasons too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It managed five good ones, which is more than 87 series' three, Next Mutation's nothing, and the 2012 series general skitzophrenic quality and being highly flawed throughout.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought seasons one and two of tmnt2012 were solid, though season one was a lot better.

Somehow it took them only two seasons to run out of good ideas. But they were so well thought out, mostly. It was really impressive how fast season 3 burned that good will.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Both of the first two seasons have Donatello being a huge creep, Michelangelo being insufferable, inconsistency about what the Kraang were planning, dropped plot points (the Kraang want April! oh they don't care about her I guess), and that asinine twist of Irma actually being a Kraang robot suit.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There was at least the overall feeling that this was a really, really new team and that they might grow out of some of their issues instead of using them as crutches. We really didn't know anything about what the Krang wanted until the end of season 2.

More of the things the threw at the wall stuck rather than not. I liked how they made the turtles really clearly teenagers and gave them subtly distinct designs, Mike could be funny at times, the tone married 1987 with serious storytelling and horror pretty well, the CGI was good and allowed for good fights and subtle characterization.

The Irma twist was at the very end of season 2, and where ideas started feeling really random instead of thought out. Like their reinventions of bebop and rocksteady. The first two seasons were also alternating between a story of two ninja clans and a sci fi story, season 3 it kind of went all sci fi.

Basically in my opinion the first two seasons had a lot I wanted to see more of. I don't exactly remember why I gave up on season 3 - why, everyone who had enjoyed the show up until then gave up somewhere in season 3. But the first two seasons showed a lot of promise that went unfulfilled because the writers were unwilling to develop characters and plots past a certain point where they had preplanned them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, season 2 marked them basically replacing the writing team. So the creators never really matured, and the group that replaced them effectively just continued as they did when they started.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

What the poo poo. Was that supposed to be a Big Chill redesign that got shuffled in the design docs?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You know I think I'm one of the few people in the world who doesn't mind Billy's voice and design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7UW-9O7is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I can speak firsthand that Ben 10 is really popular in South Africa.

South Africa, or SA is racist right?

How many blacks are in Ben 10's entire canon?