Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DrNutt posted:

I always get pretty frustrated at Memorial Day and to a lesser extent Veteran's Day, because it's been awhile since American service members have died actually fighting for any sort of freedoms. Like, I'm not going to piss on anyone's grave to be an edgelord or anything, but I also am not going to get all solemn because we sent Johnny Q. GED to go step on land mines in Iraq for a completely bullshit war.

Even Afghanistan is a loving farce. We should have responded by nuking Said Arabia with economic sanctions. Deciding to fight a ground war in Afghanistan was like trying to fight poverty by arresting the homeless, rather than addressing the root causes of poverty. Oh poo poo wait, that's actually an extremely American thing.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Two Americans died in the Kosovo Intervention. (In a non combat helicopter crash)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah, obviously, it's just that for 99% of US society, anything honoring servicemen and women gets wrapped up in flag wavey ARE HEROES bullshit. No, not all soldiers are heroes and I'm not comfortable lionizing everyone who chooses to wear a uniform.

Hell and honestly this is the only place I even feel comfortable saying any of this poo poo because if I said this to anyone but my closest friends I'm sure I'd get disowned and ostracized and people would start looking at me like some kind of alien creature.

Eh, I think focusing on the servicemen who are total bastards kind of misses the forest for the trees. Yes soldiers are only human and are far from perfect. A lot of people have joined the army for less than noble reasons. But today, to me at least, is about honoring the idea of sacrifice and those that have given up their lives for their country. I think its important to remember the lives that have been lost, not just in defense of freedom but because of misguided politics as well. These sacrifices are all important for us to learn from, even those made in vain. We should be trying to avoid sending more soldiers to such ignoble deaths in the future.

That's at least how I view it anyways. Honor the ideas these soldiers fought for and remember the mistakes we've made. That doesn't mean you need to idolize every single soldier as some superhuman entity.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Two Americans died in the Kosovo Intervention. (In a non combat helicopter crash)

And just prior to that there was the Iran hostages thing, and Grenada, and the Gulf War

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

We should have responded by nuking Said Arabia with economic sanctions. Deciding to fight a ground war in Afghanistan was like trying to fight poverty by arresting the homeless, rather than addressing the root causes of poverty. Oh poo poo wait, that's actually an extremely American thing.

This would almost certainly have ended with crippling blowback, on top of an economy that was already starting to slow down, with an administration who was originally tasked with deregulating and selling off as much national treasure as they could.

The proper response to 9/11 would have been to properly subdue the country with as many foreign allies as we could have, and not to have invaded Iraq.

Then you deal with Saudi Arabia later.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, I think focusing on the servicemen who are total bastards kind of misses the forest for the trees. Yes soldiers are only human and are far from perfect. A lot of people have joined the army for less than noble reasons. But today, to me at least, is about honoring the idea of sacrifice and those that have given up their lives for their country. I think its important to remember the lives that have been lost, not just in defense of freedom but because of misguided politics as well. These sacrifices are all important for us to learn from, even those made in vain. We should be trying to avoid sending more soldiers to such ignoble deaths in the future.

That's at least how I view it anyways. Honor the ideas these soldiers fought for and remember the mistakes we've made. That doesn't mean you need to idolize every single soldier as some superhuman entity.

It's not that they were bastards, it's just that I don't think there's anything inherently heroic about serving in the military. For many people it's a privilege, and one that ensures an exceptional suite of long and short term benefits (medical care, food and housing, retirement funding, college education). And frankly, there's nothing wrong with honoring those that have died in that service, I just don't like pretending that it was in service to my freedom. Because we are sending people off to die for bullshit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Rigel posted:

oh, poo poo. Luke Skywalker's not a fan of Trump

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/869290423369453569

:owned:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Why was the window broken from the inside?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Looks like two layers of glass and only the outer one was broken, no?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Seth Rich shot it out

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DrNutt posted:

For many people it's a privilege

Except for the drafties

quote:

and one that ensures an exceptional suite of long and short term benefits (medical care, food and housing, retirement funding, college education)

Soldiers that literally fought for your freedom in the past really got none of this. A pup tent and a square stale biscuit was what they got. Medical treatment was laughable, retirement was nonexistant. The GI bill didn't come about till the mid to late 40's. There's more to this holiday than "soldiers that died in my lifetime"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

there's two layers of glass, and if you look there's glass in between the first layer and second layer. likely what happened is when the glass shattered some fell forward and some fell backward

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Fallen Rib

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It was an inside job

:thejoke:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DrNutt posted:

It's not that they were bastards, it's just that I don't think there's anything inherently heroic about serving in the military. For many people it's a privilege, and one that ensures an exceptional suite of long and short term benefits (medical care, food and housing, retirement funding, college education). And frankly, there's nothing wrong with honoring those that have died in that service, I just don't like pretending that it was in service to my freedom. Because we are sending people off to die for bullshit.

You're too focused on the modern military. It was hardly a privilege back when we had to draft people to die in the place of others. A lot of people who might get offended by what you're saying would be focused on that rather than the dubious military actions of recent years. Does that mean we shouldn't acknowledge these mistakes? Of course not. But i think condemning the entire military's legacy is disrespectful. We should be mindful of both the good and bad aspects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/869269373915213824

Sounds like the pro-Embargo people (Rubio, Menendez, Diaz-Balart) got their 5 minutes in the room with him

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What tangible benefit do we actually get out of continuing the embargo? Shouldn't the SMART BUSINESSMAN president be the one trying to increase trade anyways?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like the pro-Embargo people (Rubio, Menendez, Diaz-Balart) got their 5 minutes in the room with him

Probably wasn't hard. "Hey Obama wanted this" and boom done.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrNutt posted:

I always get pretty frustrated at Memorial Day and to a lesser extent Veteran's Day, because it's been awhile since American service members have died actually fighting for any sort of freedoms. Like, I'm not going to piss on anyone's grave to be an edgelord or anything, but I also am not going to get all solemn because we sent Johnny Q. GED to go step on land mines in Iraq for a completely bullshit war.

Even Afghanistan is a loving farce. We should have responded by nuking Said Arabia with economic sanctions. Deciding to fight a ground war in Afghanistan was like trying to fight poverty by arresting the homeless, rather than addressing the root causes of poverty. Oh poo poo wait, that's actually an extremely American thing.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

I agree that our interventions for the last half century or so have been poo poo and in no way fought for our (or really anyone's) freedom. That said, the kids who get sent out there to die deserve nothing but the best from our society. The ire and such needs to be directed at the politicians that set this stuff up in the first place. The actual kids who get sent back broke brained, without limbs, or dead deserve our solemn respect, but we should be coming down like a load of bricks on politicians and clergy who wrap themselves in the flag and try to use these dead kids as some sort of cheap political football or to get home money in the offering plate. We can't have that of course.

But even the guy upthread who mentioned it at his church service didn't seem to do anything about it in a way that actually will reduce this. If you just walk and don't give your cash to the church, that might make a difference. Doubly so if you actually explain the situation. If you don't start telling people to gently caress off when they do abhorrent things, I don't see how you ever expect to get them to stop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear the senate was just working on passing laws to lift the travel restrictions to Cuba

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why? What's the loving point of this?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Phisherman posted:

He wants to undo everything Obama ever did in the past 8 years.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Red meat for his base, duh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Confounding Factor posted:

This; it's especially dumb since while there were a few Congresspersons who objected to Obama's actions, for the most part there was little resistance. Obviously the GOP's business benefactors want the restrictions lifted since it opens a new market for them.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

We need to shut off Cuba to the rest of the world to prevent the spread of Red Communism. Plus, they're not white, so we can't have them here, more work for ICE. Domino theory, motherfuckers. :smug:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

What tangible benefit do we actually get out of continuing the embargo? Shouldn't the SMART BUSINESSMAN president be the one trying to increase trade anyways?

No you don't understand, Obama did thing. Therefore thing bad. Trump am good, trump do opposite, opposite good. Trump am da best

Ice Phisherman posted:

hurrr durrr Obama bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Give me one minute with Trump and three words and I'll change his mind.

Trump Hotel Havana

Havana is the capital of Cuba.

Ok 9 words I had to explain what Havana was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A few pages ago now, but this thread moves too loving fast.

Potato Salad posted:

Having attended this very event years ago and still having it sitting in my memory as one of the most profound moments in my national identity, I can tell anyone not seeing the problem here, with confidence, that you and your intellectual dishonesty in insisting that you can't see what Trump is doing here can gently caress right the gently caress off and take a long hard look at the caricature of a patriot you have become.
while not at the arlington cemetery, I have been part of a memorial for fallen soldiers, and standing contemplatively or solemnly in thought while a single, or sometimes small group of professionally trained singers belt out the national anthem, and you are right on the money here. Witnessing the discussed clip, the only thing I can think is revulsion and contempt for the utter thoughtlessness he put forth, the lack of respect for the dead, the lack of patience for even a single minute, that he can't control himself for even a short period shows his total disinterest in respecting those who sacrificed themselves over the centuries for this country.

I've got a lot of complicated opinions on the military, enlistment, and soldiers. But the sacrifices they make is never once in doubt, and him bouncing on his heels while tapping along and disinterestedly half-mumbling the anthem he should know by heart shows a stark discourtesy to the masses who have given their lives for this country and we reserve this day to explicitly pay solemn respect to them.

PT6A posted:

So the problem is with Trump grinning and bobbing and swaying, and tapping along with the beat on his chest, right? Not singing the words?

This may surprise some people, but anthem etiquette differs between countries so this stuff isn't obvious to non-Americans.
for someone who, like a dozen pages ago, seemed so fervently sure of his opinions on the US, you don't seem to know a loving thing about it and its customs beyond what you might see on nightly news.

Ularg posted:

Trump swaying back and forth like an over-energized child is... well, childish. Is it the worse thing ever? Nah, just something that makes you shake your head.
This needs to be reiterated far too often I feel, but please do not normalize his stupidity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Confounding Factor posted:

pretty much. he hates obama to the core, actually why does he hate obama? i mean why did he get on the birther poo poo to begin with?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

What are the chances this is also in part cause Cuba wouldn't let him put a hotel there?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. he hates obama to the core, actually why does he hate obama? i mean why did he get on the birther poo poo to begin with?

Obama is actually smart and witty and spent a good portion of the big White House dinner dunking on him with scathing jokes and Trump pouted like a child the entire time. That's literally it and because he's such a narcissist he's held a grudge ever since. It's literally part of what is shaping his policies right now a petty grudge

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 30, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

rkajdi posted:

I agree that our interventions for the last half century or so have been poo poo and in no way fought for our (or really anyone's) freedom. That said, the kids who get sent out there to die deserve nothing but the best from our society
Agreed. They answered when America called on them, and deserve all the credit for that regardless of the outcome. It's not their fault that America called on them for absolute bullshit reasons and threw their lives away so someone in charge could earn a few approval points with their base or put a bit more money in their pockets from oil or defense contracts. We hold parades and ceremonies to put on a show of honoring dead soldiers, when the only true way to honor the those dead soldiers is to stop making so many of them.

Having Donald Trump even at the ceremony today is kind of offensive, because every action he's taken in his life makes it clear that if given the choice between giving an order that would save twenty American lives or giving an order that would put twenty bucks in his pocket instead, he's going to pick option "B" in a heartbeat, and be angry that you wasted his precious time to ask.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obama was a member of the Central Park Five, also known as the Choom Gang.
L
A
T
E
R
S

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Rigel posted:

oh, poo poo. Luke Skywalker's not a fan of Trump

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/869290423369453569

In case anyone missed this or needs a reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UUwzaoD9s

Edit: Oh hey, there was a fourth one.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/868629163170820098

These two have a lot in common.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DrNutt posted:

Think of it as a day to honor some of the victims of late stage capitalism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What are the chances this is also in part cause Cuba wouldn't let him put a hotel there?

Obama is actually smart and witty and spent a good portion of the big White House dinner dunking on him with scathing jokes and Trump pouted like a child the entire time. That's literally it and because he's such a narcissist he's held a grudge ever since. It's literally part of what is shaping his policies right now a petty grudge

i know that. but why did he start the birth certificate poo poo?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Invictus posted:

for someone who, like a dozen pages ago, seemed so fervently sure of his opinions on the US, you don't seem to know a loving thing about it and its customs beyond what you might see on nightly news.

Well, yeah, my point yesterday is that it's frustrating watching as an outsider as your president, who affects the fate of pretty much everyone in the world on some level, buffoons around, and America seems like it wants to evade responsibility for picking him. Yes, I know a lot of people disagree with Trump, and he certainly doesn't represent the opinions of all Americans, and it's very unfair to those who worked and continue to work against him, but it was just an expression of the frustration that foreigners feel while looking at America right now. The rest of the world has to put up with his nonsense now, with extremely little we can do about it, and a bunch of people are going #NotAllAmericans about it.

Some days, I remind myself that most Americans disagree with Trump, and he lost the popular vote, and a bunch of people are working against him, and it fills me with hope for the future and for the true spirit of America to re-emerge. Other days, particularly if I'm in a bad mood, I see this shaved ape running amok and it makes me want to yell "YOU loving IDIOTS! YOU DID THIS, ALL OF YOU, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!" Yesterday was one of those days, sorry if it hurt your feelings.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Because he wanted attention. It gave him followers who would fall over themselves to praise him. It's kind of like his rallies. He does a scatter shot of ramblings and when he notices one gets a huge response he'll start going with it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He didn't. An editor at the National Review really gave it a name by demanding Obama release the certificate in the summer of 2008, when it became increasingly clear that McCain was going to get smoked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its sad that Obama making fun of Trump because he would never be president is probably a significant contributor to him entering politics in the first place.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

PT6A posted:

His demeanour does seem wildly inappropriate, but it would be so whether he was singing along or not, so I didn't understand why people were attacking the singing.

same troll posted:

I mean, it's odd that he's the only one doing it, but other than that it doesn't seem strange.

Could you explain to me how you hold these two ideas in your head at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, I guess, but the whole town was apparently reduced down to .13 square miles of land and was 10 families. It is absolute nonsense for a town that small to have an entire local town government. Like I get it's unfortunate it had to be about horse cruelty but pretty much the first time anything did anything that made anyone even notice that a town government was even still a thing someone was going to say "why do we even have this? just let the county manage us, the county seat is literally the next town over"

There are benefits to incorporation as well, like the services mentioned by the pro-town side like streetlights and plowing which are very important in Nebraska in the winter, and which may have been partially subsidized by the state government because they were a town.

If this had been a simple cost-benefit analysis of the town's status no one would care. It's that it was done purely out of spite by some old assholes who didn't want anything to change or anyone telling them what to do and wanted everything to stay like the good old days.... even though the town was just enforcing public health laws that had been on the books for decades and the past they wanted to recapture never actually existed.

Oh yeah and then 2 years later old assholes did a similar thing on a national scale.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread