Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So my first playthrough I just went full on human, my second was no needles. Now that I'm doing a full-typhon playthrough I have to ask who was the utter rear end in a top hat who put menu-cancel and poo poo-no-not-kinetic-blast on the same button and made it impossible to bind the two separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, I nevermet Dahl in Life Support, I just killed Kaspar and then headed to Alex and stunned him there.

Makes getting that NPC to a med bay slightly harder, as you have to do it in zero gravity.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
It's been a few days since I finished this game, but it's kinda been stuck in my head. Everything about it was just so impeccably done, it's been a long time since I've felt so positive about a game.

I can definitely see people's frustration with the last leg of the game after (endgame stuff) Dahl shows up with all the operators, having to jump through endless loading screens, etc., but I really didn't mind that (if you're on a PC having an SSD helps MASSIVELY--my loading screens are barely even 5 seconds for any given area). I also didn't mind the ending twist even though it was a bit of a cliche; I thought it worked for the story and did a good job justifying the lack of voice for Morgan.

Also, picking the game up at first, I got the obvious Shock-vibes, but I've really come away with a love letter to Half-Life, between the We've Got Hostiles-esque military invasion, G.U.T.S., and the endless laboratories it really feels running through Black Mesa, again.

I'll probably shelve the game so when I come back things will be relatively fresh for another playthrough since I feel like I know the station like the back of my hand.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who has the key to the IT security closet or is there another way in? I've gone throguh all the crew i've not found and none seem to have a relevant job that would make them likely to have the key

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is no key, it's unlocked by a late game quest if you play a certain particularly evil way. There's nothing in there otherwise, though, so you're not missing anything.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished my first playthrough. Game was awesome and a great successor to System Shock, but I did have a few criticisms. The hacking minigame is really tedious and so easy it might as well be auto-succeed and the game would be better for it. The nightmare mechanic is really dumb. Unless you really need more exotic materials, killing it is a waste of resources, so you're better off just hiding for two and a half minutes until it just despawns. Which is boring. Also found that tyhpon abilities made the late game a bit too easy, which killed the tension. The last few missions I was just running around disabling everything with Machine Mind and whatever the psychic-disabling one is called and blowing them away with the Q-Beam and nothing could touch me. My next playthrough I'll definitely try it with no psionics, should be a lot more challenging. Weapon variety was a bit limited too, at least one more conventional and one more experimental weapon would have been nice.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Combat focus isn't technically a Typhon power, so you can do it on a no psionics run but avoid it if you want a challenge. Otherwise by midgame you're Doom guy jumping off ledges and splattering etheric phantoms in one shot on the way down, and killing nightmares by running up and shooting them between the legs a few times before they get off a single attack.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So in two places I have noticed items kept in what look to be incubators that I cannot open and get to. Am I missing something?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Wafflecopper posted:

Just finished my first playthrough. Game was awesome and a great successor to System Shock, but I did have a few criticisms. The hacking minigame is really tedious and so easy it might as well be auto-succeed and the game would be better for it. The nightmare mechanic is really dumb. Unless you really need more exotic materials, killing it is a waste of resources, so you're better off just hiding for two and a half minutes until it just despawns. Which is boring. Also found that tyhpon abilities made the late game a bit too easy, which killed the tension. The last few missions I was just running around disabling everything with Machine Mind and whatever the psychic-disabling one is called and blowing them away with the Q-Beam and nothing could touch me. My next playthrough I'll definitely try it with no psionics, should be a lot more challenging. Weapon variety was a bit limited too, at least one more conventional and one more experimental weapon would have been nice.
I have to disagree with most of this.

The hacking minigame is one of the least tedious minigames I have encountered in a game. In fact it's even a little fun. I wouldn't mind if Arkane added a suit chipset that bypassed the minigame and let you auto-hack things, but as it is I don't mind the minigame.

The Nightmare might be a pain on your first playthrough, but on my subsequent playthroughs I had mastered the mechanics so well that by the time the Nightmare showed up I could deal with it easily enough. It's a great source of exotic material, which is the hardest material to find and you can make plenty of neuromods as long as the Nightmares keep coming.

Yes, by the end of the game you are a nigh-unstoppable badass, and that's how it should be. I hate games with character leveling that cancel out your gains by scaling the enemies to your level. I want that sensation of power, to be the guy who sweeps aside all who stand in his way. I don't want to fight level-100 murlocs that look and sound just like the level-5 ones I cut my teeth on. Don't bother using character progression if you just plan to turn your game into a treadmill.

I think they threw in few weapons so that there would be little overlap in functionality. I remember in System Shock 2 that the assault rifle was really just a slightly more powerful pistol (there was too little ammo to use it on full auto anyway). The pistol in Prey can fire at a high rate and with upgrades it does pack a good punch at range, so a submachine gun or assault rifle would feel a bit redundant. Other standard FPS weapons like rocket launchers might feel redundant next to your psi powers.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kurzon posted:

It's a great source of exotic material, which is the hardest material to find and you can make plenty of neuromods as long as the Nightmares keep coming.

I dunno what game you were playing but I had all the neuromods I really needed (I could've had others, but they would've been more 'nice to haves') and like 40 exotic material by the end of the game but was running low on minerals.

Perhaps this is because (on Normal) I finished the game with 70 shotgun shells, 70 pistol bullets, 500 Disruptor ammo and 500 Q-Beam ammo. But still!
This was also because throughout the whole 'finale' I was Doom-jumpsprinting my way through almost every enemy and blasting it in the face only if it blocked my way.
This was also on a no-Typhon-neuromods run.

Playing this game on a Steam Controller actually worked out really really well - the only points of failure were trying to aim at twitchy mimics and phantoms, and occasionally trying to hit that one pixel button in the distance with the nerfgun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

bewilderment posted:

I dunno what game you were playing but I had all the neuromods I really needed (I could've had others, but they would've been more 'nice to haves') and like 40 exotic material by the end of the game but was running low on minerals.

That would seem to indicate that you, like myself, shot every Typhon on sight with conventional weaponry. Other playstyles might run out of Exotic more often.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zomborgon posted:

That would seem to indicate that you, like myself, shot every Typhon on sight with conventional weaponry. Other playstyles might run out of Exotic more often.

I can theoretically imagine a 'stealth' playthrough (or one that minimizes weapon use) but this also means being terrified of something creeping on me while I casually read emails, and that I cannot abide. First time through an area, that area is getting cleared.
I tried conserving ammo by using Leverage and chucking things sometimes, but by midgame it felt like more trouble than it was worth when trying to make sure I hit the target and not the environment. Maybe I should've tried chucking smaller objects.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Materials run low for those who favour security weapons (or have poor resource management skills). Exotics run low for those who favour typhon skills.

I don't know who organics run low for hahah.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^people who craft medlits^^

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bust Rodd posted:

^^people who craft medlits^^

I got the skill that makes food heal twice as much and keep you well-fed twice as much and I feel like that was way more useful than relying on medkits. Food is everywhere and if you find the types that stack neatly they'll keep you in good stead.
Those racks of coffee are like the equivalent of a full-health refill station.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It also doubles your sink drinking, which makes dipping into the toilets a really easy top-off.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Currently playing through the game again on nightmare, trying a human only run. I've just got to crew quarters and I'm basically doom guy at this point. Funnily enough I seem to have tons of synthetic and mineral material, unlike last run but I am always low on exotic material. It helps that I got dismantle by the hardware labs, spare parts are a great resource for recycling. Recycling most psi hypos, excess grenades and food also gives tons of resources.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah, on a human run (or even mostly human) you can recycle 90% of psi hypos since they give a decent amount of minerals and exotic material and they take up two inventory slots. Combat Focus is still great but it's mostly unnecessary except as an 'oh poo poo' button or when you really need to get into something's face - I found it most helpful against Weavers.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I'm not far enough and I can't find a list of the requirements but I want to know how much material I need to fabricate a recycler grenade.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kurzon posted:

I have to disagree with most of this.

The hacking minigame is one of the least tedious minigames I have encountered in a game. In fact it's even a little fun. I wouldn't mind if Arkane added a suit chipset that bypassed the minigame and let you auto-hack things, but as it is I don't mind the minigame.

The Nightmare might be a pain on your first playthrough, but on my subsequent playthroughs I had mastered the mechanics so well that by the time the Nightmare showed up I could deal with it easily enough. It's a great source of exotic material, which is the hardest material to find and you can make plenty of neuromods as long as the Nightmares keep coming.

Yes, by the end of the game you are a nigh-unstoppable badass, and that's how it should be. I hate games with character leveling that cancel out your gains by scaling the enemies to your level. I want that sensation of power, to be the guy who sweeps aside all who stand in his way. I don't want to fight level-100 murlocs that look and sound just like the level-5 ones I cut my teeth on. Don't bother using character progression if you just plan to turn your game into a treadmill.

I think they threw in few weapons so that there would be little overlap in functionality. I remember in System Shock 2 that the assault rifle was really just a slightly more powerful pistol (there was too little ammo to use it on full auto anyway). The pistol in Prey can fire at a high rate and with upgrades it does pack a good punch at range, so a submachine gun or assault rifle would feel a bit redundant. Other standard FPS weapons like rocket launchers might feel redundant next to your psi powers.

There's only like half a dozen different "boards" for the hacking minigame though, even if for some reason you find moving a circle into another circle and then pressing a button fun, it very quickly gets extremely repetitive. How does trivially easy plus repetitive not equal tedious?

I didn't find the Nightmare challenging, I killed it the first time I met it. My point is that there's no real incentive to do so and it's a waste of resources, so you're encouraged to find somewhere safe and go for a piss instead of actually playing the game. I found metal and synthetics to be a much bigger issue than exotic material, in fact I never ran out despite waiting for half the Nightmares to despawn.

There are plenty of game where I can feel like an unstoppable badass though, I like these ones for the sense of vulnerability and tension they give. I don't know why you're talking about MMO grinding, that has nothing to do with anything. The Thief games didn't level up the bad guys but never lost their sense of vulnerability and danger. Admittedly Thief didn't have character progression, but to me it should be more about giving you more options rather than making you a god. I don't mind some power creep for the player, but I think it can go a bit far in Prey. Games should get harder towards to end, not easier. I found Prey most difficult right at the start, much like Dishonored. Arkane could have easily ramped the difficulty up towards the end by adding bigger groups of Typhon, no need for level 100 mimics or whatever you're worried about.

Maybe a rocket launcher could be an alternative to psi powers? The game is all about choice after all, and the weapon selection is a bit lacking in that area. I never said they had to be standard FPS weapons anyway. The gloo gun is a great example of creativity, more interesting and unique weapons would help make the game even better.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 30, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

This game is pretty stressful.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

guns for tits posted:

This game is pretty stressful.

It gets pretty relaxing once you get the Mimic Detector chip.
Other things that make the game a more pleasant experience are upgrading the damage of the shotgun, and getting the stealth upgrade that makes your regular walking silent.
For midgame phantoms this means (unless they're voltaic) you can happily walk around after scanning for mimics and just walk up behind a phantom and blast it in the back.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Finished it tonight. Great game.

Questions about plot because I am dumb:

So, uh, what the gently caress just happened?

I did a no-typhon run and helped everyone I could. At the end the fourth operator said "it never met me". Using the nullwave, blowing Talos up and getting off the station with Dahl and the survivors both led to Alex showing me a hosed up world. My hand turned human in the handshake both ways.

Is this a BUT MORGAN WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME scenario? Why in the hell is there a Typhon in a chair in some basement? I feel like I need a chart or something to keep track of where all the simulations and realities branch and break.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

redreader posted:

I just finished the game and did ending "escape pod" then did both of the actual endings: nullwave bomb/shake hand, then blow up Talos/kill everyone. Hm, I've been avoiding spoilers, can someone point me at the best 'here's what happened' ending summary? I suppose I basically get it, but I'd like to see what other people have to say.

Earth is hosed, Alex is one of the few survivors along with the operators of several crew-mates he made. The only chance they have of surviving the Typhon is to force one of them to understand humanity as a consious species, which should hopefully travel along the Typhon network to all the others.

You are almost certainly the Typhon that was created out of Morgan's corpse, it's hinted that there's some remnant of a person in every Typhon at a couple of points.

afaik

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CJacobs posted:

There is no key, it's unlocked by a late game quest if you play a certain particularly evil way. There's nothing in there otherwise, though, so you're not missing anything.

Technically, there is a key but it only shows up during that quest as far as I'm aware.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

bewilderment posted:

I can theoretically imagine a 'stealth' playthrough (or one that minimizes weapon use) but this also means being terrified of something creeping on me while I casually read emails, and that I cannot abide. First time through an area, that area is getting cleared.
I tried conserving ammo by using Leverage and chucking things sometimes, but by midgame it felt like more trouble than it was worth when trying to make sure I hit the target and not the environment. Maybe I should've tried chucking smaller objects.

I never really used the throw objects method, but I saved ammo by making a rule for myself that I only use the wrench to kill Mimics and all types of Phantoms (although in the case of multiple phantoms I'd kill the first with the wrench, and swap to a gun for the second). I found that if you sneak up to a phantom, sneak attack it, then immediately pop combat focus and wail away, you can kill most Phantoms without getting hit once (with exceptions for the AoE elemental Phantoms have).

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

bewilderment posted:

Playing this game on a Steam Controller actually worked out really really well - the only points of failure were trying to aim at twitchy mimics and phantoms, and occasionally trying to hit that one pixel button in the distance with the nerfgun.

I started out with the Steam Controller and then ditched it for a DS4 after about five hours; it was way to much for me to try and learn how to survive the early combat while at the same time wrestling with the Steam Controller's weirdness.. Arkane really did make a good attempt at coming up with a control scheme that makes sense for the Steam Controller, but Prey was 100% designed to be played with a standard gamepad and it just wasn't enough, IMO.

Depending on how you toggle the Steam Controller option in Prey's menu, it will boot with either the standard Xinput API or the API for the Steam Controller; this is similar to how in Doom '16 you can choose an Open GL renderer or Vulkan, but you have to reboot to make the switch. The Steam Controller API covers more than just Valve's own controller; it also covers the Dual Shock 4 and Xbox controllers, if you enable support for them in Big Picture. The fact that Prey explicitly used the SC API is a very nice addition because it meant that if I toggled it on, Prey would use Dual Shock icons as button prompts for my DS4; that is still pretty rare to see.

But the most interesting thing, to me, about this API business is that if you select the Steam Controller API, then Prey stops looking at the right analog stick of your gamepad for Aim input. Only mouse input is accepted for aiming when using the SC API, so then the Steam Controller, DS4, and Xbox controllers are all spoofed so that their right thumbstick (or touchpad) becomes a mouse input emulator that Arkane has tuned to feel normal for their game. The left thumbstick still goes through as normal, but not the right.

You can test this out by turning on the Steam Controller API in Prey and then playing with the Look Sensitivity on the Controller Tab of Prey's Controller Options. The slider on the Controller Tab will have no effect on your right stick speed, but adjusting the Mouse Sensitivity on the Mouse Tab will.

What's more, the PC version of Prey doesn't have the type of "sticky crosshair" aim assist all console shooters and ports of console shooters have these days. This lack of aim assist is across all controllers and both controller API's. Once I noticed that it was missing while using a DS4, I booted with a Xbox One pad and the standard Xinput API and tested, but sticky aim still wasn't there. There isn't even an option for Aim Assist in the menu like there usually is.

It's possible that instead of sticky aim, Prey simply jukes your bullets so that they still hit in the case of a near miss. There where a lot of mimics that I exploded even though it appeared as if I had missed them with my shotgun as they jumped at me, so I often felt as if the game was making some allowance. However, I've also shot just over a Phantom's shoulder with the Q-Beam, so it's hard to tell.

I'm assuming that the console versions of Prey have a sticky crosshair and maybe an option for aim assist in the menu. Maybe someone in here has noticed?

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
I've only played about 1h-2h of this game so far, and it has been the most memorable, emotional, mind-blowing gaming experience of at least the last decade of my life.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You might find it ramps up a bit after 2 hours. Enjoy.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sdoots posted:

Finished it tonight. Great game.

Questions about plot because I am dumb:

So, uh, what the gently caress just happened?

I did a no-typhon run and helped everyone I could. At the end the fourth operator said "it never met me". Using the nullwave, blowing Talos up and getting off the station with Dahl and the survivors both led to Alex showing me a hosed up world. My hand turned human in the handshake both ways.

Is this a BUT MORGAN WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME scenario? Why in the hell is there a Typhon in a chair in some basement? I feel like I need a chart or something to keep track of where all the simulations and realities branch and break.

Ending spoilers: No chart needed. The entire game is a simulation. You are a Typhon. Alex and company are inserting Morgan's DNA into you in an effort to integrate it so that you can feel empathy for other living beings, something Typhon are incapable of normally. The Earth has been hosed by Typhon and you are their hail Mary attempt to bridge the gap between species. The simulation is a test to determine if they have succeeded or not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

Ending spoilers: No chart needed. The entire game is a simulation. You are a Typhon. Alex and company are inserting Morgan's DNA into you in an effort to integrate it so that you can feel empathy for other living beings, something Typhon are incapable of normally. The Earth has been hosed by Typhon and you are their hail Mary attempt to bridge the gap between species. The simulation is a test to determine if they have succeeded or not.

The Talos 1 Incident most likely did happen just... not exactly the way you played it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Alex specifically says the simulation is based on Morgan's memories of the incident.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghostlight posted:

Alex specifically says the simulation is based on Morgan's memories of the incident.

That doesn't mean the actions you take are.

I've seen a few people say that it had to have been that way, though, and if that's the case then the ending doesn't make any sense because if the events played out just like they did for the real Morgan, the operators would have no reason to comment on anything you did as being of note.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 30, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

That's a given but the point is that what happened to the station really happened and is not entirely made up for the sake of testing the typhon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

That's a given but the point is that what happened to the station really happened and is not entirely made up for the sake of testing the typhon.

Most of what happened. There may be differences, because they don't know what really happened or because they wanted to insert something that would test your empathy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

I've seen a few people say that it had to have been that way, though, and if that's the case then the ending doesn't make any sense because if the events played out just like they did for the real Morgan, the operators would have no reason to comment on anything you did as being of note.

Not quite. What is being noted is the Typhon-Morgan's actions in the situation, so doing it the same way Morgan did without saying so explicitly just shows promise.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ What they mean is that if your actions are all pre-determined by the exact memories of Morgan then the only actual choice you as a Typhon are making is whether or not you kill them at the end. If that's the case, then the operators wouldn't comment on your choices in the simulator because they weren't yours and therefore can't demonstrate empathy. If you take the escape pod Alex terminates the simulation as a failure, which is direct evidence that you're not merely experiencing the events as Morgan did because if the events had to have happened the same way you made the choices in the game you wouldn't fail at that point because you would be exactly as empathetic as your human template was.

CJacobs posted:

Oh yeah, I was responding to "the Talos I incident most likely did happen" - Alex confirms it did, the only ambiguity is whether the real Morgan blew the place up or nullwaved everything (they clearly didn't steal Alex's escape pod). Either doesn't matter since throughout the game you're given hints that Mimics are already bound for Earth and that the Neuromod use (which is definitely happening off station) is acting as a beacon for the Typhon. I found January's talk about "exposing humanity to the sharks of space" rather unconvincing because it probably doesn't matter if you blow up the station - there's already people on Earth neurologically linked up with the Typhon 'mind'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghostlight posted:

Oh yeah, I was responding to "the Talos I incident most likely did happen" - Alex confirms it did, the only ambiguity is whether the real Morgan blew the place up or nullwaved everything (they clearly didn't steal Alex's escape pod). Either doesn't matter since throughout the game you're given hints that Mimics are already bound for Earth and that the Neuromod use (which is definitely happening off station) is acting as a beacon for the Typhon. I found January's talk about "exposing humanity to the sharks of space" rather unconvincing because it probably doesn't matter if you blow up the station - there's already people on Earth neurologically linked up with the Typhon 'mind'.

Oh, I thought you were speaking in the same terms as the second part of my post. Okay, my bad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It was kind of ambiguous phrasing in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Y'know, it's pretty funny that the big thing about the strange alien race, which is defined by its uncanny ability to perfectly mimic something, is supposed to be that they - gasp! - don't have mirror neurons. You know, these things that make humans imitate each other. Like when smiling or yawning