Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

I've found ballista not to be ideal. Can't Chord or hit off CoCo which is a big deal. I'm running Rhonas with a red splash for Kessig Wolf Run as plan b/c.

Full list and write up tonight

That also seems fine. How many flex slots do you have? You can always run one of each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Ballista is probably great if you're running into a lot of affinity, the mirror, or other small creature decks. I might've also written Rhonas off too quickly if builds other than the one I was using are better at turning him on. The win condition choice is a total judgement call, but I feel pretty strongly that you should max out on viziers and devoted druids before adding more than one or two infinite mana sinks. You can almost always use infinite mana to get to a win or an irrecoverable advantage with this deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

uninverted posted:

Ballista is probably great if you're running into a lot of affinity, the mirror, or other small creature decks. I might've also written Rhonas off too quickly if builds other than the one I was using are better at turning him on. The win condition choice is a total judgement call, but I feel pretty strongly that you should max out on viziers and devoted druids before adding more than one or two infinite mana sinks. You can almost always use infinite mana to get to a win or an irrecoverable advantage with this deck.

Hurricane is modern-legal. If you're ahead on life, it's a win. If you're behind, you can draw any game.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mezzanon posted:

druid and vizier make infinite mana to activate recruiter to find walking ballista to make an infinite damage ballista

Sorry, I mean why have more Druids if Vizier is the common piece in both combos? Finks can combo with Anafenza, so essentially has an extra copy of that piece, but Druid can only combo with Vizier

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Hurricane is modern-legal. If you're ahead on life, it's a win. If you're behind, you can draw any game.

Can't be found with Duskwatch Recruiter, has to be Scry'd via Viscera

e: I haven't played it as much as you guys since I've been away from the game shop, but I've been doing plenty of theory crafting to try and find the most resilient version (combo with 2/3 pieces Extracted) while retaining enough utility & power on the board to win the grind. I'll do a proper write-up once I get back to the shop and put in reps

On that note, has anyone tried Bloodthrone Vampire or Mirror Entity as secondary wins with each half respectively?

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 20, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

I picked up some remands today using some store credit, being rather new to playing blue (usually play b/w decks) would they do a better job then manaleak in my list? I understand its more of a tempo counter but already having hard counters with SSS makes it look like a good choice with the cantrip.

I decided to drop Tasigur mainboard 1 Collective Brutality and add Grafdigger to the sideboard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Remand is much better in faeries.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

myDad posted:

Sorry, I mean why have more Druids if Vizier is the common piece in both combos? Finks can combo with Anafenza, so essentially has an extra copy of that piece, but Druid can only combo with Vizier

Alright; so I've played a bunch of leagues with this deck at this point; going 9-1 in matches today with the mostly final version below:

Forgive the non-text version; I'm tight on time and it's sorted better here.

Few thoughts:
Why only 3 Vizier:
In isolation its a rather bad topdeck. I've never had issues tracking down a Vizier to get the combo going; Chord does wonders here.

Mana Sinks:
I'm not sold on Walking Ballista. Rhonas has been great. Generally he's not going to hit the board until the combo is online. If they path something in response to you casting him or chord; you float infinite mana before the path / Rhonas resolves. If you have tight play it's exceedingly rare to have Rhonas path'ed. Generally, people are going to exhaust their removal keeping you off the combo anyways.

Plan B, C:
B: Vizier + Viscera Seer + Finks obviously nets the life gain / scry engine as a secondary combo.

C: One-of Kessig Wolf Run. Tutoriable by the knight in a pinch (who can also be Chorded for and is a respectable late-game beatstick if needed).

The lines of play have proven to be really deep and consistent. The mana engine effectively turns Eternal Witness into a green Snapcaster Mage.

Flex spots:
I'd say from this list the flex spots you can replace as you feel fit:
- Anafenza - totally not critical; I've considered Ballista in her spot.
- Knight of the Reliquary - I'm using it as a land tutor more than anything.
- Spellskite - Selfless Sprit could go here. Really just anything that gives you an out/combo protection.
- Renegade Rallier - I'm treating him as Eternal Witness #5 because its such an important piece.

Deck is really, really solid.

Biggest issues:
- Grafdiggers Cage
- Chalice on T1 on the Draw - the ramp is important. Good thing RW Prison is small-potatoes right now.

Sideboard right now is running 2x Pridemage, 2x Abrupt Decay, 2x Engineered Explosives to deal with the above. Plus a few other pieces of tech. Still feeling this out for the decks I'm anticipated in Baltimore next weekend.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The single knight is cool. Lots of games are won with township. I don't know if you can actually cut the Anafenza from main- vizier+seer+finks gives infinite life and scrys but doesn't necessarily win the game. Scrying Anafenza to the top means infinite bolster triggers to close things out for games where Rhonas isn't an option.

I'll be interested to read a full report on Baltimore if you do one. I'm mostly happy with my list but I like comparing results. Coco decks always seem different from person to person.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The Eternal Witness notes are interesting, and Druid can be strong for Chords

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Remand is really good except when a ton of the format is one-mana threats and then Eldrazi Tron tutors for Cavern of Souls....but when it's good, it's reallly good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Well yeah, Remand is as unplayable in modern as Mana Leak is but it's still much better in faeries than Leak.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I really want to play Weird Harvest in the Abzan Druid shell, cause I'm dumb. Messing around with two in the deck and it's at least not the worst.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hahahahha holy poo poo. Started a new modern league at my flgs and I think everyone took a gentlemans agreement to play bad decks because this is hilarious.

There's elves, spirits, goblins, faeries, a r/w prison, a tezzerator, hate bears, and other assorted Jank. I won the last league with spirits so I decided to play seismic swans featuring a glorious end in the sideboard

R1 I got paired against aetherflux reservoir coretapper combo which included me dropping a T3 seismic assault and my opponent then attempting to go off on his T3, but he had to dig a lot and his main card draw is temple bell. So by the time he drew into an inventors fair he'd drawn me exactly enough lands to pitch for lethal at him.

This is shaping up to be the best league ever.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Played in a 17-person Vintage event yesterday, and took 8th with UWR Mentor. I didn't end up switching to a Paradoxical build or anything crazy; just replaced Gushes and Probes with Preordain, Merchant Scroll and some artifact hate.

The deck feels almost unchanged, I just really, really need to practice my match-ups with the various Workshop flavors, and Paradoxical Storm. They were my only two losses of the day. I'll probably build the deck on MTGO soon-ish, to get that practice.

Edit: It did get called "the prettiest deck" at the event, so that's really a moral victory.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 22, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ok well the people who post here are probably 3x less stupid than the main thread on average so:

Anyone playing duel commander on MTGO? It's actually kinda sweet if you ignore the fact that the ban list is still a ridiculous joke and the only good decks are blue, and there's one deck (Baral) that's way better than all the others.

I've been trying out this pile of nonsense modified from the deck Bahra has been playing. It has some ridiculously fast draws but it still feels like it could use some work. The lack of stack interaction is kind of unfortunate but I'm not sure how much it can be helped. Also I'm ok with it right now because those cards are expensive and you'll notice most of the cards I'm not playing from his list are $20+.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
http://itsjulian.com/too-much-information-mkm-series-frankfurt/

quote:

Oh Death & Taxes, you really let yourself go. I have no doubts that great players can still perform reasonably well with you, but just looking at the raw numbers, you look worse than you have ever been. While Elves and Burn have always been difficult matchups for you, those new versions of Food Chain are now also taking their toll on you. On top of that your Show and Tell matchup now looks barely favorable anymore. At this point, the unbiased reader is left wondering why they should even pick up Death & Texas anymore. I sincerely hope the deck will eventually be back as it’s one of the most fun and difficult to play in the format.

Just gently caress me up, honestly; D&T is my favorite deck and basically all I play. Overall I'm glad Top is gone but I didn't think I'd HAVE to throw down to buy a bunch of Plateaus, Magus and Chaices. :rant:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Nexein posted:

Just gently caress me up, honestly; D&T is my favorite deck and basically all I play. Overall I'm glad Top is gone but I didn't think I'd HAVE to throw down to buy a bunch of Plateaus, Magus and Chaices. :rant:

That link had a lot of interesting data in it, thanks for sharing. I really wish more tournaments would have more detailed analysis like this.

In my experience the skill level of d&t players has a wider range and raw stats like this aren't accounting for the fact that half the players on d&t at the tournament may have little experience with the deck. The experienced / knowledgeable players usually perform a lot better at tournaments. Are you seeing a dip in your matchup percentages?

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I haven't played in any large scale events since the ban, but my local meta has become pretty elves/DRS heavy so I've been changing my board for a little more graveyard hate and some slowdown for elves (even though there's practically no saving the matchup). I think getting 2 or 3 Magus in the mainboard would be a huge sweep around here, but it's also coming down to getting red sources and fetchlands in a deck that was always pretty resilient to bloodmoon and wasteland. I'm still running and enjoying mono white but unless I establish a GREAT board state early, it's all downhill from there.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nexein posted:

:sigh: Nobody listens to me. The biggest problem is even your good matchups aren't good anymore because people just devote more slots to removal for the midrange snoozefest that the format has become, which means you're getting screwed by the splash damage.

It really is amazing to me how much worse the format has become since the ban.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

:sigh: Nobody listens to me. The biggest problem is even your good matchups aren't good anymore because people just devote more slots to removal for the midrange snoozefest that the format has become, which means you're getting screwed by the splash damage.

It really is amazing to me how much worse the format has become since the ban.

#freetop

Without having to devote all that sideboard space to beating miracles, I can now play multiple cheap sweepers like staticaster, kozileks return, pyroclasms etc and just gently caress d&t and elves. I kinda like it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

L0cke17 posted:

#freetop

Without having to devote all that sideboard space to beating miracles, I can now play multiple cheap sweepers like staticaster, kozileks return, pyroclasms etc and just gently caress d&t and elves. I kinda like it.

Speaking of which, have you read this? http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/05/build-around-mee/

Not sure if he's actually tested his list, but in my own testing I think Moat makes sense in the main again. I haven't had much luck running it as a combo deck like you mentioned. It's objectively slower than other combos, and setting up a soft-lock so you survive to draw into your combo means you have to play as a control deck anyways. Humility is probably still SB-worthy, but I think Moat is unanswerable enough in Game 1 that it's worth the risk.

Edit: vvv I believe his justification is "Baneslayer Angel is sweet"

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 23, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Speaking of which, have you read this? http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/05/build-around-mee/

Not sure if he's actually tested his list, but in my own testing I think Moat makes sense in the main again. I haven't had much luck running it as a combo deck like you mentioned. It's objectively slower than other combos, and setting up a soft-lock so you survive to draw into your combo means you have to play as a control deck anyways. Humility is probably still SB-worthy, but I think Moat is unanswerable enough in Game 1 that it's worth the risk.

61 cards without good justification :barf:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

#freetop

If D&T is a specific target, would sulfur elemental be worth considering?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Edit: vvv I believe his justification is "Baneslayer Angel is sweet"

It's entirely possible it's correct. I've moved on from rip/helm though, it's too soft right now overall. I'm currently testing a couple other uw and uwr lists. Sadly neither has a moat, back on the 4-5 wrath plan and snapcasters

kirtar posted:

If D&T is a specific target, would sulfur elemental be worth considering?

D&t isn't the specific target. It's for elves and d&t and grixis Pyromancer.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm tuning my Vizier deck for Baltimore. Anyone want to jam some games against it on MTGO tonight? I'm down to final tweaking and figuring out my sideboard guide before the weekend.

Just PM me if so

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

L0cke17 posted:

I was going for if D&T is particularly prevalent in a local meta.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kirtar posted:

I was going for if D&T is particularly prevalent in a local meta.

theyve got enough 2 toughness dudes I would just want more K returns most likely.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

It's entirely possible it's correct. I've moved on from rip/helm though, it's too soft right now overall. I'm currently testing a couple other uw and uwr lists. Sadly neither has a moat, back on the 4-5 wrath plan and snapcasters

Post your list, because RIP in particular has been hot for me

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Post your list, because RIP in particular has been hot for me

So RIP has been good, but Helm and Energy Field have been significantly under-performing. I'm experimenting with this: https://deckbox.org/sets/1707212

Though it may be entirely wrong to not have Canonists in the board right now. I dont know

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Well yeah, Remand is as unplayable in modern as Mana Leak is but it's still much better in faeries than Leak.

Remand is very bad in Faeries

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
As a two of it was fine for me tonight. Better then leak. Goodnfor if your Bitterblossom grts T1 thoughtsiezed and your SSS suffer in usefulness as a result for a turn.

Went 2-2 tonight, beat Abzan Company and Emeria suntitan combo.

Lost to tokens mulled to 5 games 2 and 3. He sided in Torpor orb and got it out early twice and went wide after taking out my bittdrblossom and playing his own and getting to 53 life with sorin

Lost to delver. After again mulling to five game 2 and lost game 3 do to a misplay forgetting to activate mutavault.

I rolled face on Abzan game one and pack ratted them game 2.

Emeria suntitan combo was tight. He detention sphered my mistbind clique bringing back Ven clique targeting him then tucking sun titan. Before declare attack I cryptic commanded him tapping creatures and bouncing dsphere which then let me mistbind clique him tapping all his open lands. Then I just kept go for throating a or pushing his creatures.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Should I play Loam Depths or mono B Pox tomorrow at the Legacy 1k?

I know Loam is more powerful, but Pox makes the opponent more miserable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Should I play Loam Depths or mono B Pox tomorrow at the Legacy 1k?

I know Loam is more powerful, but Pox makes the opponent more miserable.

Do you really want to spend the money on entry and a chunk of your Saturday with a deck that will make someone else regret their decision to participate slightly more than you will when you get the crap beat out of you by other decks?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fair enough.

Tech choice: exploration, explore or summer bloom to make life from the loam the most gross?

E: or Bind, for maximum fetchable trolling

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 26, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The correct answer was yes, you are weak.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Playing spirits in a modern 3K on Sunday.

Here's hoping I don't get wrecked.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Fun is a zero sum game you fool

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else at SCG Baltimore tomorrow? Hit me up if so! Got a pretty big group coming should be a good time

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Anyone else at SCG Baltimore tomorrow? Hit me up if so! Got a pretty big group coming should be a good time

Scrubbed out at a modern 3k today with bant spirits! Played well then hit a wall. Deck felt good. Got loving annihilated by martyr proc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Is anyone going to GP Vegas to play in the legacy event? I've been trying to test but I can't figure out what the hell to play. After L0cke's sweet deck didn't really pan out in my testing either, I tried those predict/portent/16 cantrip Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Miracles piles. They're loving awful and I hate them. So, the contenders:

UR delver feat. price of progress and cryptic serpent

UB Standstill

UB Standstill feels like the better deck (mostly because it doesn't have joke cards like cryptic serpent) but based on my last legacy gp experience with no buys, it seems loose to bring a deck that cannot ever, in one million years, beat burn. What's everyone else playing?