Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

That's my girl right there. She could play with the old guys and me anytime.

She's in college so could probably handle the excessive drinking too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Probably drunk in that video :D

Just had lesson, very happy that my swing isn't complete poo poo. I have a few things to work on as my takeaway is too low and need to transition my hips faster--all easily doable. Now to tear up some sod, and it appears our weather will be ideal for the next week!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I stopped by Golf Galaxy yesterday just to look around, it's been a really long time since I've stopped in a golf shop. I hit a few drivers, always tough to really gauge results, but the new Titleist, Callaway Epic and Ping G30 all seemed to go about the same distance for me. The Epic has a definite egg shell thunk sound too it that I kind of like, kind of dislike. Titleist as always has that nice *tink* sound.

I was getting up to 165mph ball speed in my work clothes/shoes, which translates to a bit over 110 mph clubhead speed, so that's good!

I really need to spend some time with the driver on the range though, the problem is I wear out pretty quick doing that and then it becomes counter productive. Anyone have any tips for being more consistent off the tee? I think that's my biggest problem area right now.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Double post, I just was looking through some course websites and I decided to look at Cedar Valley, a course in SE MN that I played a whole lot when I was in college. They have added some hole descriptions and they are....pretty funny. There are three nines, so that's why the hole numbers repeat.

quote:

Hole 3 is a massive dog leg left. The accurate driver should be able to slice the corner and really make the hole short for himself or herself. The green is large but fair. Go for broke on this hole.

The old 'accurate slice around the corner to the left'. Going for broke on this hole is a terrible idea, if you overshoot the dogleg you are completely stymied and need to punch back to the fairway.

quote:

Hole 4 is the toughest par 3 on the course. It is not very long but the green is very difficult to stick off the tee. The green is heavily angulated and very fast. Any spin and your tee shot is likely to roll off. Be happy with par on hole 4.

Those dang angulated greens!

quote:

"Hole 4 is one of the most difficult holes on the course. The tee shot is wide open; however, the green is heavily sloped from back to front. If the pin is in the front, play short of the green and chip. You under do not want to be above the hole on this green."

I like the tip to purposefully miss the green and chip. If you miss this green short with a short iron(ie: a ball that you hit into the air), you will roll back and be like 20 yards short of the green.

quote:

"Hole 6 is an average length par 3. It plays down hill and often times down wind. It usually plays about one club less. The green is very angulated so take your time with your putt."

Those angulated greens are back!

quote:

Hole 5 is a touch hole. It is short on paper but plays very long. It is straight uphill and the green is very small. Land on the green and you should have a nice chance for birdie. If you don’t land on the green be very happy with par.

Note, hole 5 does not play uphill at all, in face it is downhill.

quote:

Hole 6 is a driving hole. The entire hole is composes of huge rolling hills. Clear the first and you will roll the rest of the way to the hole. You must hit your drive at least to the top of the large hill otherwise you are looking at bogey or worse. The green is huge and has two large
tiers. A good play on your approach shot is off the back hill.

They keep saying 'driving hole', which I think means 'not a par 3'. The third sentence is great, if you clear the first hill on this hole you'll roll down and be ~125 yards from the hole. The suggestion that you will roll all the way to the hole is a funny visual though.

It's kind of cute, but also a bit sad :smith:.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Shrapnig posted:

She's in college so could probably handle the excessive drinking too.

Probably, though strangely none of us drink haha

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just shot another round way over 100 and I want to quit golf again. I suck badly

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

Just shot another round way over 100 and I want to quit golf again. I suck badly

At least you have made it out this year. The few days that have managed to get above 12C and not been raining or sleeting I have had to work. My clubs are still under the bloody stairs and were 4 days away from it being June.

Like, April and May have been record setting precipitation and almost record below average temps. I just want to play some golf. :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
poo poo I'm happy when I break 110 and never get angry at myself for being bad. I still keep up with the rate of play and enjoy being outside playing this dumb game.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My motto as of late is " I'm hitting the ball more flush than I ever have with the shittiest loving results"

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

My motto as of late is " I'm hitting the ball more flush than I ever have with the shittiest loving results"

What's the ball flight like?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Warning: Stupid post by a stupid bad golfer who doesn't take lessons. Do not follow, see an instructor instead.

---

I feel like I just unlocked the secret to swinging a golf club (for me and how my body/mind works) and it's amazing. For a younger guy I've always had below average distance because I could not swing a club with my full strength and expect good results. I've always struggled with being over the top. I just could not figure out how to get my swing more inside. Usually I would have the sensation of running out of room. My "fix" was to slow things down immensely, which really didn't solve anything but made my awful slices less dramatic. A lot of the advice about being over the top describes shifting your weight solidly and letting your arms just "drop". I have a pretty active lower body, never struggled with committing to the weight shift. The drop was interesting and a good thought but I always struggled to commit to it. It felt like I had no sense of where the clubhead was if I let my arms get that noodly and my mind had difficulty letting go to that degree.

I was fortunate enough to come across a few videos that seemed to hit on a lot my problems that described trying to go the other way: speed up the arms. This really works! (again, it works for me and my issues) The drill/feel I've been using is to imagine chopping a log outside your rear foot i.e. chop straight down after completing the backswing and then turn HARD. This seemed absolutely ridiculous but I can swing hard now - really hard - and just crush the ball with a light fade. I've discovered "the slot" (never understood wtf that meant til now) and it's so liberating to finally figure out how to get into a position where I can actually freely swing the club without fear of a ridiculous banana slice.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Summit posted:

Warning: Stupid post by a stupid bad golfer who doesn't take lessons. Do not follow, see an instructor instead.

---

I feel like I just unlocked the secret to swinging a golf club (for me and how my body/mind works) and it's amazing. For a younger guy I've always had below average distance because I could not swing a club with my full strength and expect good results. I've always struggled with being over the top. I just could not figure out how to get my swing more inside. Usually I would have the sensation of running out of room. My "fix" was to slow things down immensely, which really didn't solve anything but made my awful slices less dramatic. A lot of the advice about being over the top describes shifting your weight solidly and letting your arms just "drop". I have a pretty active lower body, never struggled with committing to the weight shift. The drop was interesting and a good thought but I always struggled to commit to it. It felt like I had no sense of where the clubhead was if I let my arms get that noodly and my mind had difficulty letting go to that degree.

I was fortunate enough to come across a few videos that seemed to hit on a lot my problems that described trying to go the other way: speed up the arms. This really works! (again, it works for me and my issues) The drill/feel I've been using is to imagine chopping a log outside your rear foot i.e. chop straight down after completing the backswing and then turn HARD. This seemed absolutely ridiculous but I can swing hard now - really hard - and just crush the ball with a light fade. I've discovered "the slot" (never understood wtf that meant til now) and it's so liberating to finally figure out how to get into a position where I can actually freely swing the club without fear of a ridiculous banana slice.

I will have to try this. I have a huge problem coming over the top with my driver, and only my driver which is weird.

Also,

$25 at Ross if anyone needs new golf shoes

Played Disney's Lake Buena Vista yesterday. Course was in amazing shape even with the lack of rain we've had, I'm sure Disney just makes their own rain lol. My putter saved my rear end all day. They are the first course with GPS in the cart that gave exact distance to the pins which was pretty sweet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's like last year's Nike shoe dump!

Those shoes are really nice, $165 MSRP with Zoom Air in the heel and 2 yr waterproofing, though I doubt Nike would honor the warranty if you're buying from Ross/Burlington.

Wonder if they're more comfortable than the Lunar Control 3's I got last year...

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

mattfl posted:

I will have to try this. I have a huge problem coming over the top with my driver, and only my driver which is weird.

Could be as simple as it not being heavy enough. Grab yourself some lead tape and gently caress around :getin:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Summit posted:

---

In before "where did this wicked snap hook come from" :D

Seriously though, happy you made a breakthrough!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha this is one lucky kid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6uVpaLKc4

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

What's the ball flight like?

All over the place. I'm good for pin high most of the time, I just keep missing. Throw in the occasional catastrophic miss and my confidence is shot to poo poo. What annoys me is I don't do it on the range.

So zach Johnson apparently emptied his bag on the course after being put on the clock for slow play.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 28, 2017

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

All over the place. I'm good for pin high most of the time, I just keep missing. Throw in the occasional catastrophic miss and my confidence is shot to poo poo. What annoys me is I don't do it on the range.

Do you hit off the grass at the range or mats?

Also missing is fine, you just gotta learn to miss straight :D

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Whoever is in charge of European Tour PR is an absolute genius.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Do you hit off the grass at the range or mats?

Also missing is fine, you just gotta learn to miss straight :D

It's the blow up holes that are killing me and keeping my HCI at 15. I recently made 4 birdies on a 72/126 course @ 6800 yards and still shot 91.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Also,
$25 at Ross if anyone needs new golf shoes

Holy poo poo, those are nice. Gonna scout out some Ross stores, but are there any size 12s left?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Holy poo poo, those are nice. Gonna scout out some Ross stores, but are there any size 12s left?

This was the only pair at this particular ross I stopped at in size 11.5.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I miss Ross. :(

I got a pair of Nike's recently. They fit so well and have these serrations on the inside of the big toe for grip as you roll your foot over during weight shifts that is just awesome.

Heading out to finally play tomorrow, is there a preferred score/stats tracking app you all use or are they more course specific?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Golfshot GPS and Swing by Swing are two preferred apps. Most of the scorecards posted in this thread are from the Golfshot app. They're free apps that will give you yardage to the center of the green and basic stat tracking, but $15-20 / year will give you detailed stat tracking, multiple distances on the hole, and touch-based distances on the map, too.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 29, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bilirubin posted:

I miss Ross. :(

I got a pair of Nike's recently. They fit so well and have these serrations on the inside of the big toe for grip as you roll your foot over during weight shifts that is just awesome.

Heading out to finally play tomorrow, is there a preferred score/stats tracking app you all use or are they more course specific?

The Grint.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I played a 6 AM round at Eisenhower Park on Long Island yesterday. This was my first early morning round and I have to admit, playing for 3.5 hours and then having the rest of the day to myself is super nice.

Shot 107. Normally I'm around 114. I'm so bad at chipping and putting but I was freaking lethal with my 4H and driver. Golf.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
First full week off from teaching! Gonna get some golf in!

:sigh:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

God dammit, Tiger.

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-palm-beach-county/jupiter/golfer-tiger-woods-arrested-on-dui-charges-in-jupiter

quote:

JUPITER, Fla. - Golfer Tiger Woods was arrested on charges of driving under the influence early Monday morning in Jupiter.

Woods, a Jupiter Island resident, was taken into custody at 3 a.m. on Military Trail South of Indian Creek Parkway.

Palm Beach County Jail records indicate Woods was released from custody at 10:50 a.m.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869215305473683456

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

He looks kinda over it

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Apparently Tiger is so hard up for money he can't afford an Uber driver.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Reading the comments on this elsewhere, just throwing in my 2c.

I don't think their is ever an excuse for drunk driving but the problem I've got with this situation is that Tiger is being turned into a martyr for doing something that happens day in and day out at golf courses around the world.

Every week I see guys driving home after sinking well above the legal limit, did he do something stupid of course but let's not pretend that he's the only golfer to ever drink and drive. He's famous and in the public eye, it should mean he is more careful. Everyone loves John Daly because the guy was open and honest about his drinking, if he got done for a DUI no one would raise an eyebrow because we would expect it.

I mean at this point Tiger is probably a mess, however many surgeries and event withdrawals, he's obviously dealing with some poo poo mentally. That's what the story should be, let's help this guy not let's pile on this guy when he's at his lowest point.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Trip report on the new shoes.

They are awesome. Love them. Will check more Rosses/Ross's? to see if I can find another pair.

Also it was hot as balls out today holy poo poo. We started on 10 and I blame the heat on the first couple holes, finally got used to the heat and got my poo poo together after the first 4.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Dimebag posted:

Reading the comments on this elsewhere, just throwing in my 2c.

I don't think their is ever an excuse for drunk driving but the problem I've got with this situation is that Tiger is being turned into a martyr for doing something that happens day in and day out at golf courses around the world.

Every week I see guys driving home after sinking well above the legal limit, did he do something stupid of course but let's not pretend that he's the only golfer to ever drink and drive. He's famous and in the public eye, it should mean he is more careful. Everyone loves John Daly because the guy was open and honest about his drinking, if he got done for a DUI no one would raise an eyebrow because we would expect it.

I mean at this point Tiger is probably a mess, however many surgeries and event withdrawals, he's obviously dealing with some poo poo mentally. That's what the story should be, let's help this guy not let's pile on this guy when he's at his lowest point.

The story quoted above says he was picked up at 3 AM, so I doubt it was after golfing(I haven't actually read anything else though, so if that's wrong I apologize).

But drunk driving is a lovely thing to do whether you're tiger or Joe Schmo. Having hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a friggin limo or personal driver or something is lame as poo poo. Joe Schmo who has one too many and is thinking, 'drat, I don't get paid for a week and that $70 taxi ride would really put me behind' is a more relatable/sympathetic story than millionaire athlete can't pick up his phone and call his chauffeur.

Tigers story is not synpathetic, boo hoo I'm only the wealthiest golfer of all time and I got caught cheating on my wife 100 times and now I'll only go down as the 2nd best golfer of all time :(((((.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

The story quoted above says he was picked up at 3 AM, so I doubt it was after golfing(I haven't actually read anything else though, so if that's wrong I apologize).

But drunk driving is a lovely thing to do whether you're tiger or Joe Schmo. Having hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a friggin limo or personal driver or something is lame as poo poo. Joe Schmo who has one too many and is thinking, 'drat, I don't get paid for a week and that $70 taxi ride would really put me behind' is a more relatable/sympathetic story than millionaire athlete can't pick up his phone and call his chauffeur.

Tigers story is not synpathetic, boo hoo I'm only the wealthiest golfer of all time and I got caught cheating on my wife 100 times and now I'll only go down as the 2nd best golfer of all time :(((((.

I'm not a massive Tiger fan and while he wasn't picked up after playing golf my point was more that he's being vilified for something I've seen over and over which is golfers driving drunk.

I agree he has far less of an excuse than someone who the cab ride will hit their hip pocket and therefore make the choice to drive drunk as they need to be up for work etc.

My problem, at least what I've seen here in Australia growing up playing and since I've gotten back into the game is that guys overindulge on the drink week in and week out so it's not a one of but a pattern of behaviour. This could very well be different in other countries but I can only speak from what I've seen locally.

Tiger hosed up, he does have responsibility as a public figure to not bring his name and brand into disrepute but the guys online giving him poo poo while this drinking culture exists at Aussie clubs(and wherever yo can get a drink) is a bit rich. That's my problem.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Trip report on the new shoes.

They are awesome. Love them. Will check more Rosses/Ross's? to see if I can find another pair.

Also it was hot as balls out today holy poo poo. We started on 10 and I blame the heat on the first couple holes, finally got used to the heat and got my poo poo together after the first 4.

I got super lucky and found a pair of the white/black in 12 at a local Ross. If you see grey/black in 12, hmu.

DoctaFun posted:

(Tiger's story is not sympathetic.)

I agree with you 99%. No reason he doesn't have a personal driver, unless he wants to continue doing lecherous things and doesn't want a driver who might snitch? Dunno. Dude could definitely afford a fleet of cars with drivers for life.

I was wondering if he was hitting the sauce last night because today is Memorial Day, which is a big day for Tiger because of his dad's service. That's the first thing that came to mind.

I wonder how this will play out. Huge donation to MADD, heartfelt statement, redemption story gets underway, Tiger wins 2018 Masters?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Kameh posted:

I wonder how this will play out. Huge donation to MADD, heartfelt statement, redemption story gets underway, Tiger wins 2018 Masters?

It's funny how, no matter how many tournaments he misses or gently caress ups occur, we still pine for Tiger's return. I'm right there with you of course, those Tiger years were electric for golf.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Drunk driving at 3 AM is pretty safe anyway, because there's nobody to get in an accident with.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

i also agree with you 99%

tiger woods is far and away the greatest golfer of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dimebag posted:

*A bunch of really dumb poo poo*

Uh, hate to tell you this but when other people get drunk and drive it's still goddamned lovely. "Other people do it" is a ridiculously stupid defense.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2017