Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

Why?

gently caress, her father left his crippled first wife (who was waiting for him while in vietnam) on her hospital bed because he got hooked up with someone with money. It's just how it works.

She's young, attractive, her family is naval royalty and is from a world where people get married for political reasons.

because youve otherized her to the point that you're completely unable to conceive of her having agency or really even being a person
like here you've given a pretty loving good reason why she might have some fairly cynical views about marriage, and then completely failed to consider that she might have those views, because you've put her into a group that you've decided behaves a certain way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The only frame of reference his base has to the national budget are terrible analogies comparing it to balancing a checkbook. Which is already too complicated for them to understand which is why they're all in deep debt.

"Trump defends something that makes libcucks cry" is total red meat.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

There's already been massive political realignment in the last 16 years, just not the way you think.

At the party level, democrats have embraced numerous social policies (gay/trans rights) that would have been unthinkable during the clinton presidency, and it has cost them. Republicans were the party of finance in the early 2000s, and now bankers are firmly back democrats at the national level. I know it sounds weird but in 2002 your stance on israel was like your third or fourth most important defining feature, and now no one gives a poo poo about them.

Both parties are still insanely hawkish.

These aren't earth shattering differences but they add up.

But banking and finance have firmly backed Democrats at the national level for decades? :confused:

BarbarianElephant posted:

Republicans and Democrats can't find common ground because Republicans are so wedded to the nihilistic "drown the government in the bathtub" philosophy, as well as suckers for mad conspiracy theories. There's nothing for Democrats to engage with. As the alt-left continually whines about, Democrats leap at the chance to make a deal with the enemy. But when the enemy is either insane or actively trying to make government fail, there's no opportunity to make a deal.

https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/863490913657638913

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Everyone should be paid a universal basic income, Mark Zuckerberg has said

Fulchrum was...right? :aaaaa:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Raylen posted:

She posted this photo back in like 2009 and conservatives freaked the gently caress out because BOOBS!

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/03/13/meghan-mccain-says-she-has-large-breasts-theyre-real/

I can see why, that shirt is blocking the view

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Will people please please please stop treating Trump's budget proposal like it's something that's going to actually happen? Every other day there's some new article about how the budget proposal cuts funds to so and so likes its news when we've known for months that it cuts literally everything imaginable. It's bad but thankfully won't actually be done.

If it fuels the outrage fire against Trump then share away. This poo poo gets dropped or quietly ignored because the reps making the budget hear how pissed off it makes their constituents.

Or at least that's how it was intended to work.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

awesmoe posted:

because youve otherized her to the point that you're completely unable to conceive of her having agency or really even being a person
like here you've given a pretty loving good reason why she might have some fairly cynical views about marriage, and then completely failed to consider that she might have those views, because you've put her into a group that you've decided behaves a certain way.

Yes but she's also pretty outspoken about her political positions, and her desire to pursue higher office (at least she was around 2010-2012 or so), and I can't imagine a single female, no matter how talented, running for republican office unmarried.

Don't mistake my cynicism for insulting her agency or anything like that.

Of course she may not want any political career anymore. I remember in 2010 all the right magazine and editors were hyping her as the new wave republican candidate.

Paracaidas posted:

But banking and finance have firmly backed Democrats at the national level for decades? :confused:

Nah, they went heavy republicans in 2000, then they were into the war frenzy in 2004.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mustached Demon posted:

If it fuels the outrage fire against Trump then share away. This poo poo gets dropped or quietly ignored because the reps making the budget hear how pissed off it makes their constituents.

Or at least that's how it was intended to work.

Yeah that's true.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Republicans and Democrats can't find common ground because Republicans are so wedded to the nihilistic "drown the government in the bathtub" philosophy, as well as suckers for mad conspiracy theories. There's nothing for Democrats to engage with. As the alt-left continually whines about, Democrats leap at the chance to make a deal with the enemy. But when the enemy is either insane or actively trying to make government fail, there's no opportunity to make a deal.

Please don't call them the alt-left. The far left has existed for a long, long time, and predates the current moderate right republican party by a long loving time.

FizFashizzle posted:

There's already been massive political realignment in the last 16 years, just not the way you think.

At the party level, democrats have embraced numerous social policies (gay/trans rights) that would have been unthinkable during the clinton presidency, and it has cost them. Republicans were the party of finance in the early 2000s, and now bankers are firmly back democrats at the national level. I know it sounds weird but in 2002 your stance on israel was like your third or fourth most important defining feature, and now no one gives a poo poo about them.

Both parties are still insanely hawkish.

These aren't earth shattering differences but they add up.

This is a smart post. Remember that most people in this country are Christians and that many of them have been programmed to hate gay people since before they knew what that meant. Sure approval of gay people is over 50% and has been for a while, but to a minor but significant portion of the population them being able to marry is despicable and a sign that Satan is winning. Republicans aren't the only ones drifting away from the center. The democrats do it too, but they've done it while being socially egalitarian because minority rights don't effect bottom lines but not financially egalitarian because that would effect bottom lines.

Small edit, current approval rate of gay marriage is 55%/37% for/against per pew. It's going up by about 2% a year in the for category and down by about 2% a year in the against category. We'll also probably never see full acceptance just the same way that there isn't full acceptance of interracial marriage these days, though the acceptance of that is much, much higher, with it growing near total acceptance with millennials but actually being pretty low among the 50 and up crowd.

Imagine if the democrats got complete control and actually had to implement that 15 dollar minimum wage. They've been talking about it for years and HRC loving promised it (under duress, but still). If dems got full control of the house, senate and presidency and didn't produce we'd have many of the same problems with them that republicans have with policy makers and the repeal or ACHA debate.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 30, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Maybe there is hope for the future.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Weekly reminder to never shop at Hobby Lobby

https://twitter.com/theglipper/status/869365455198326784

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ice Phisherman posted:

Please don't call them the alt-left. The far left has existed for a long, long time, and predates the current moderate right republican party by a long loving time.

This is a smart post. Remember that most people in this country are Christians and that many of them have been programmed to hate gay people since before they knew what that meant. Sure approval of gay people is over 50% and has been for a while, but to a minor but significant portion of the population them being able to marry is despicable and a sign that Satan is winning. Republicans aren't the only ones drifting away from the center. The democrats do it too, but they've done it while being socially egalitarian because minority rights don't effect bottom lines but not financially egalitarian because that would effect bottom lines.

Imagine if the democrats got complete control and actually had to implement that 15 dollar minimum wage. They've been talking about it for years and HRC loving promised it (under duress, but still). If dems got full control of the house, senate and presidency and didn't produce we'd have many of the same problems with them that republicans have with policy makers and the repeal or ACHA debate.

I feel like we had a quote about Pelosi says they'll pass 15 min wage if they get the house. Which is good, but probably also mimicry of the ACA vetoes, unless someone manages to put a bug in Trump's ear.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
When I say "alt left" I'm talking about those annoying folks who lay into the Democratic Party for being willing to compromise. We can't simultaneously bitch about the Democrats being too eager to compromise and also bitch about both parties being bad because they can't reach a compromise. That's as dumb as those sexist guys who call a girl a "whore" because she won't sleep with them. I'd like a better term than alt-left if there is one. They aren't the same as "far left" because actual far leftists have entirely different concerns.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You guys called it:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pushing for 15 dollars is stupid and they still haven't learned their lesson from Obama's bailout.

If 15 is what you want, start at something higher and make republicans meet you there. Minimum wage should be around 23 dollars an hour. Not only is 15 not high enough, it's going to get slaughtered down to like 9 and democrats will claim victory while they get slaughtered in the next election anyway.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah, they went heavy republicans in 2000, then they were into the war frenzy in 2004.

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/sectors.php?cycle=2000

They put up more than 100m for Dems nationwide in 2000 and 2004. The 59/41 split each year was much more pronounced in 2012 (68/32) and narrowed in 2016-a weird cycle for a variety of reasons.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
There will be conservatives in every generation. If you think the GOP is going to disappear because young people are woke then gently caress off. It's not going to "just happen".

Over one third of Gen Ys voted for Trump.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

CelestialScribe posted:

There will be conservatives in every generation. If you think the GOP is going to disappear because young people are woke then gently caress off. It's not going to "just happen".

They're millennials now Grandpa, not to be defined by the "Came after Gen X".

Get your meaningless demographic media buzzword terms correct!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

When I say "alt left" I'm talking about those annoying folks who lay into the Democratic Party for being willing to compromise. We can't simultaneously bitch about the Democrats being too eager to compromise and also bitch about both parties being bad because they can't reach a compromise. That's as dumb as those sexist guys who call a girl a "whore" because she won't sleep with them. I'd like a better term than alt-left if there is one. They aren't the same as "far left" because actual far leftists have entirely different concerns.

I think the alt-left is so small that it might as well not exist. It exists online to be sure but otherwise they're just living straw-men for the right to point to. It's so not mainstream it may as well not exist save for the right pointing to them to anger their base to demonize democrats.

FizFashizzle posted:

Pushing for 15 dollars is stupid and they still haven't learned their lesson from Obama's bailout.

If 15 is what you want, start at something higher and make republicans meet you there. Minimum wage should be around 23 dollars an hour. Not only is 15 not high enough, it's going to get slaughtered down to like 9 and democrats will claim victory while they get slaughtered in the next election anyway.

I feel like fifteen is what they'll start at because they actually want ten or eleven. So they'll go in with this but be dickered down. If they actually have full control over government like the republicans do there's going to be a serious "Oh poo poo" moment when the rhetoric they use doesn't match up with what they actually want to pass which will be far more modest.

RuanGacho posted:

I feel like we had a quote about Pelosi says they'll pass 15 min wage if they get the house. Which is good, but probably also mimicry of the ACA vetoes, unless someone manages to put a bug in Trump's ear.

I don't know what the hell Trump will do if the house or even senate is suddenly full of democrats. He'll veto pretty much everything they give to him though.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 30, 2017

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

They wont disappear but I can imagine there is a bottom for them to reach at some point and it might be pretty low.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/sectors.php?cycle=2000

They put up more than 100m for Dems nationwide in 2000 and 2004. The 59/41 split each year was much more pronounced in 2012 (68/32) and narrowed in 2016-a weird cycle for a variety of reasons.

Oh wow I'm really misremembering that then.

I thought that was one of the things that pushed Bush over the top in 2000.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

It's currently $7.25. Call me "impure" but I think people on that starvation wage would welcome $15.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

RuanGacho posted:

They're millennials now Grandpa, not to be defined by the "Came after Gen X".

Get your meaningless demographic media buzzword terms correct!

Non-college educated.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The whole phrase alt left is loving stupid. Nazis like Glass Jaw Spencer coined that term to describe themselves because they're too chicken poo poo to call themselves Nazis.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Clearly the minimum wage should be higher - more towards the $23 mark - but the problem with increasing the minimum wage is that lovely employers WILL use it to fire people, and unemployment will go up as a result in some areas. That's because the low-wage environment has allowed employers to rip off workers for so long that any shake to the system will cause them to lash out.

Democrats need to account for that in any plan they make.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Not quite the same: the problem Republicans have with health care is they promised everybody different and mutually exclusive things, and people pulled the lever because "I trust the Republicans' promise to do UHC/poor-killing, and I'm not worried about Republicans' other promise to do poor-killing/UHC because everything I liked is their true beliefs and everything I don't like was just campaign rhetoric to dupe the rubes into voting for them, those fools." Now no matter what they do there's at least a sizeable chunk of their voters smart enough to realize they were conned once it happened.

With minimum wage yeah there might be problems if some of the Democrats are lying about their support for the $15 wage, but there's nothing stopping them from voting for it anyway because they weren't out promising a $15 wage one day and unregulated sweatshop labor the next. So yeah they'd piss off their party by not passing it, but they don't have the Republican problem that they'd piss off their party by passing it as well.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 30, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's currently $7.25. Call me "impure" but I think people on that starvation wage would welcome $15.

Yes but that's the point. It'll still be a starvation wage at 8.37 or whatever the dems settle on, which does nothing for their base and still gets them butchered in the next election. For nothing substantial.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Mustached Demon posted:

The whole phrase alt left is loving stupid. Nazis like Glass Jaw Spencer coined that term to describe themselves because they're too chicken poo poo to call themselves Nazis.

I didn't know that. I was trying to refer to those folks on the left who are unrelentingly negative and ironical. "Eat the rich, Democrats will sell us out" guys. A lot of them round here.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CelestialScribe posted:

Clearly the minimum wage should be higher - more towards the $23 mark - but the problem with increasing the minimum wage is that lovely employers WILL use it to fire people, and unemployment will go up as a result in some areas. That's because the low-wage environment has allowed employers to rip off workers for so long that any shake to the system will cause them to lash out.

Part of that plan involves raising it to 15 over several years. Let it creep up and give Almighty Job Creators time to adjust.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Not to say that this isn't part of what they are doing, but who is asking for 23? They picked 15 because the loudest people are saying 15.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CelestialScribe posted:

Wage theft is enormous in this country and almost an entirely separate issue from actual wage. Small businesses need to get a kicking for stealing from their employees when they barely make anything as it is. Motherfuckers.

I might be biased in this respect. For reasons.

VitalSigns posted:

Not quite the same: the problem Republicans have with health care is they promised everybody different and mutually exclusive things, and now the people who pulled the lever because "I trust the Republicans' promise to do UHC/poor-killing, and I'm not worried about Republicans' other promise to do poor-killing/UHC because everything I liked is their true beliefs and everything I don't like was just campaign rhetoric to dupe the rubes into voting for them, those fools" and now no matter what they do there's at least a sizeable chunk of their voters smart enough to realize they were conned once it happened.

With minimum wage yeah there might be problems if some of the Democrats are lying about their support for the $15 wage, but there's nothing stopping them from voting for it anyway because they weren't out promising a $15 wage one day and unregulated sweatshop labor the next. So yeah they'd piss off their party by not passing it, but they don't have the Republican problem that they'd piss off their party by passing it as well.

Yeah. I'm just mentioning it because it'd be like what the republicans did, but not to the magnitude of what they promised. Still big if they go back on their rhetoric, but not seven years of trying to repeal and then being unwilling to big.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

You guys called it:

The Donald allows no dissent, ever. Even money that this was originally posted just to see if the idiots would think it was sarcasm.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I didn't know that. I was trying to refer to those folks on the left who are unrelentingly negative and ironical. "Eat the rich, Democrats will sell us out" guys. A lot of them round here.

Yeah assholes like Huckabee or Hannity or whoever started using it to normalize their Nazi infestation. It's stupid don't give into it.

The proper word for those assholes on the left: Jill Stein shills.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mustached Demon posted:

Especially when far leftists will happily call themselves socialists or communists, they don't really hide behind anything because they don't see the term that describes what they really are as a problem like Nazis do.

Which is fair, you're only really nuts if you're a Stalinist or Maoist or whatevs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah assholes like Huckabee or Hannity or whoever started using it to normalize their Nazi infestation. It's stupid don't give into it.

The proper word for those assholes on the left: Jill Stein shills.

Let's call them Dores after Jimmy Dore.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

Yes but that's the point. It'll still be a starvation wage at 8.37 or whatever the dems settle on, which does nothing for their base and still gets them butchered in the next election. For nothing substantial.

Asking for $50 an hour wouldn't make the Republicans go "Wow, that's extreme. Let's compromise at $20" would it? Bargaining doesn't work that way. Republicans are wanting to *lower* it for crying out loud. This is a classic example of the perfect being the enemy of the good. A couple of extra dollars an hour could save a hundred thousand kids a year growing up hungry.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What's the collective name for Vermin Supreme supporters?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Vermin?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

Vermin Supremacists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

remusclaw posted:

Not to say that this isn't part of what they are doing, but who is asking for 23? They picked 15 because the loudest people are saying 15.

Few, unfortunately, but that's what is should be.

Sorry for huffpo, but here's Elizabeth Warren speaking out for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/elizabeth-warren-minimum-wage_n_2900984.html

quote:

“If we started in 1960 and we said that as productivity goes up, that is as workers are producing more, then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And if that were the case then the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour,” she said, speaking to Dr. Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who has studied the economic impacts of minimum wage. “So my question is Mr. Dube, with a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75? It sure didn’t go to the worker.”

Dube went on to note that if minimum wage incomes had grown over that period at the same pace as it had for the top 1 percent of income earners, the minimum wage would actually be closer to $33 an hour than the current $7.25.

• Locked thread