Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So a quick google seems to suggest golden Symmetra gun doesn't make the turrets gold. I thought I read earlier in this thread that it does that now? I kinda want to get it but only if the turrets are gold too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So a quick google seems to suggest golden Symmetra gun doesn't make the turrets gold. I thought I read earlier in this thread that it does that now? I kinda want to get it but only if the turrets are gold too

you can cycle through the stuff it changes if you want to be sure. for example, roadhog's hook becomes gold and you can see that before you buy it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I ended up getting a gold gun for Symmetra since I always generally play as her on defense and generally do great, and turrets don't seem to be gold. They look different, as they are black metal now on her white/blue Executive gold skin.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is that from the skin or the gold weapon? I don't have the skin so I can't try it out.

Looking at the weapon view, there doesn't seem to be a next button like there are with other character's weapons. So I'm assuming no probably.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Smiles posted:

the real travesty here is not being able to just buy the gold pachimari icon
Pretty much. I should have a 'imari for every season and nothing is fitting for summer.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is that from the skin or the gold weapon? I don't have the skin so I can't try it out.

Looking at the weapon view, there doesn't seem to be a next button like there are with other character's weapons. So I'm assuming no probably.

several of symmetra's skins (qipao, devi/goddess, and the new oasis skin) add gold accents to her turrets even if you don't have the gold weapon.

i don't have her gold weapon so i don't know if it adds anything more on top of it. the only skin i know of that does that is junkrat's firework skin, which turns his grenades from red to gold if you have the gold weap.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I got a golden Bastion gun because I think golden guns look super tacky, it turns Bastion's turret form into a giant golden cannon, and because in general it makes people angry that somebody would get a gold gun for Bastion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jeza posted:

900 DPI, 4 sensitivity. Tiny mousepad, wrist aiming without using my arm. People drastically overvalue the ability to spin all over, and drastically undervalue the importance of being able to keep the crosshair steady across maybe a 90 degree arc. Pre-aiming covers most of the rest.
Yeah, I play with my sens set up such that moving from one end of my mousepad to the other turns me about 180 degrees. I don't need to do 360s.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jeza posted:

900 DPI, 4 sensitivity. Tiny mousepad, wrist aiming without using my arm. People drastically overvalue the ability to spin all over, and drastically undervalue the importance of being able to keep the crosshair steady across maybe a 90 degree arc. Pre-aiming covers most of the rest.

You don't play Symmetra/Tracer/Genji, eh

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If I can't do what I need to do from wrist position alone, something's wrong

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SKULL.GIF posted:

You don't play Symmetra/Tracer/Genji, eh

Well the tiny mousepad won't help but it's not actually at all difficult to 180 with settings comparable to his as long as you have room.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well the tiny mousepad won't help but it's not actually at all difficult to 180 with settings comparable to his as long as you have room.

It's less the 180 and more having to pick up the mouse and reposition while in the middle of a fight or else smack into the keyboard/run off the desk. Either you're slamming down the mouse (and your aim goes wild) or you're losing ~0.5 seconds which matters bigly. I guess it's easiest as Tracer, just wait for her reload, but not so much for the other two.

Extended firefights are particularly bad for this, as are situations where you need to flip more than once or twice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's less the 180 and more having to pick up the mouse and reposition while in the middle of a fight or else smack into the keyboard/run off the desk. Either you're slamming down the mouse (and your aim goes wild) or you're losing ~0.5 seconds which matters bigly. I guess it's easiest as Tracer, just wait for her reload, but not so much for the other two.

Extended firefights are particularly bad for this, as are situations where you need to flip more than once or twice.

900/4 is about a 38 cm/360 which would be rather low for a flanker (I use 30cm/360) but you really don't lose nearly as much time as you're suggesting while adjusting the mouse once you get used to it.

IDDQD has a 44 cm/360 (!) and while he's more known for his McCree (where that sens makes the most sense) he plays Tracer from time to time as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any idea what the Horizon Lunar Colony news is going to turn into? I predict this missing monkey is Doomfist.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/869358115812106240

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

Any idea what the Horizon Lunar Colony news is going to turn into? I predict this missing monkey is Doomfist.

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/869358115812106240

new map on the moon

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Low grav map confirmed, Reaper buff: kickback from shotguns now allow Reaper to fly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

new map on the moon

Some kind of objective related to the airlock they mentioned in the emails. Also I kinda hope we get another lunar ape character to go along with Winston.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

this is clearly teasing a new melee stealther with a beam weapon ult. the hero isnt actually hammond but a sentient colony of bacteria in his gut that compels him to eat AND KILL

just loving lol if you thought it was anything related to doomfist

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've purchased Overwatch. Blizzard gets me again.

At least I had the willpower to just buy the basic edition.

Also when it comes to mouse pads and dpi. I have a small mousepad and have mouse settings at 1600/3.

I don't have the desk space for a huge mousepad is that going to be a problem?

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

OhFunny posted:

Also when it comes to mouse pads and dpi. I have a small mousepad and have mouse settings at 1600/3.

The most important thing is you're comfortable with it. Like full stop, that is the most important part of the entire sensitivity/dpi issue. If you're comfortable with it and can do your characters job, you're golden.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Oh man, so pumped! Having another animal subject as Winston's nemesis is awesome. It does confirm, through the emails, that Hammond is a smaller test subject, and it can be assumed that he's some sort of ape, although it doesn't specify what he is in particular.

As well, in the listing - it lists Hammond as subject 8, and Winston as 28. Hammond came before Winston I assume.

Also other notes:

Horizon may be the new game mode type Jeff was hinting at. If you look at the Horizon map, locations A through G, A and G look like symmetrical starting points for two opposing teams. Points B-F look like capture points. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think we're looking at a WoW Arathi Basin capture point map.

Edit: Actually looking at it, it looks as if there's a special emphasis put on point G - the Observatory. It may be a twist on the attack/defend payload map, but instead of a payload the attacking team captures points along the way instead of pushing a payload. Think Temple of Anubis/Hanamura but with more points.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 30, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OhFunny posted:

My mousepad is about seven inches across which translate to a tiny baby mousepad and I aim perfectly fine. I have my sensitivity set so that 5 inches translates to a full 360 degree rotation, and I've been doing it for about a decade's worth of FPS games. It's nothing to worry about.

Hell, there's Quake pros who play with mouse acceleration of all things, and I've scrimmed with people who use a trackball. Like, the one that's literally just a giant ball sitting on their desk. You can get good at aiming with pretty much any sort of device. Except controllers. Don't use those.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm the one playing two rounds of Overwatch on my work break with a controller and no mic.

And I'm on your team.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm the one playing two rounds of Overwatch on my work break with a controller and no mic.

And I'm on your team.

only five times out of eleven, meaning statistically speaking you're doing me a solid

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Some added speculation about Hammond:

What if this is released as an event at the end of the 1 year anniversary? Jeff said they were focusing on one event per month, so this would count as June's.

Also, in Winston's back story, it stated he had to flee Horizon when there was an uprising of apes. Just like the last PvE event, what if the players are charged to stop Hammond and his gang of dirty apes from firing off some sort of super weapon they've been developing since communication was lost? I can totally see a cinematic intro - with out of nowhere, Earth receives a video communication from Horizon, with Hammond taking center stage on screen asking for some sort of demands with apes laughing and jumping around in the background.

The event would center around liberating Horizon, and shooting filthy apes down. Much like the last event, it would include a PvE map with set heroes (Winston being one of those) as you plow your way into the observatory and stop Hammond from his diabolical plan.

This would be fit timing for a "fighting ape" style event, given we also have a new Apes movie hitting theatres soon and could pay homage to the series in hilarious ways.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

new map on the moon

loving finally. Been wanting to see Ape Station Alpha.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ape Station 13

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got Phara in random heroes, kicked rear end, and made some rage pretty hard.

Then I pulled Cruiser DVA from a box.

Today was a good day.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kaubocks posted:

i can't wait for summer games 2 when i can finally just fuckin buy the basketball pharah spray

yeah I cant' wait to buy my USA flag profile icon

haha

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I actually went on a winstreak in mystery heroes which is strange considering I'm exhausted and sleep deprived but I was actually doing hot with whatever it gave me. I got kills as Widowmaker, had a streak going as Sombra on King's Row attack all the way to the penultimate checkpoint, and I got to mulch people as Roadhog including an insane second round on Oasis where I died, we lost the point, the red team took it to 99%, then in overtime I died, re-rolled Hog, went back and did a quick triple kill to help reclaim the point, turn it around, and win.

Then all my lootboxes were whites and blues.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hixalot posted:

The most important thing is you're comfortable with it. Like full stop, that is the most important part of the entire sensitivity/dpi issue. If you're comfortable with it and can do your characters job, you're golden.

Theta Zero posted:

My mousepad is about seven inches across which translate to a tiny baby mousepad and I aim perfectly fine. I have my sensitivity set so that 5 inches translates to a full 360 degree rotation, and I've been doing it for about a decade's worth of FPS games. It's nothing to worry about.

Hell, there's Quake pros who play with mouse acceleration of all things, and I've scrimmed with people who use a trackball. Like, the one that's literally just a giant ball sitting on their desk. You can get good at aiming with pretty much any sort of device. Except controllers. Don't use those.
Cool thanks.

I looked up my mouse and learned the middle button changes the dpi between 800 and 1600. Do you think it'd good a good idea to switch things to 800/6 and then use the middle to switch dpi as needed?

I think doing that would help with close range fights with/against Tracer and the other fast heroes when I need to turn faster.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I got a golden Bastion gun because I think golden guns look super tacky, it turns Bastion's turret form into a giant golden cannon, and because in general it makes people angry that somebody would get a gold gun for Bastion.

The exception is the new Tracer skin's guns, which look better in gold.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I bet you anything Doomfist will be announced by Terry Crews at Blizzcon.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OhFunny posted:

Cool thanks.

I looked up my mouse and learned the middle button changes the dpi between 800 and 1600. Do you think it'd good a good idea to switch things to 800/6 and then use the middle to switch dpi as needed?

I think doing that would help with close range fights with/against Tracer and the other fast heroes when I need to turn faster.

The only use I can think of for a dpi switch is changing your sensitivity for scoping in games which doesn't let you adjust scoped sensitivity, games with limited mouse sensitivity options, or games where it obnoxiously slows mouse movement when you're using a mounted gun or something, like MGSV. You should be able to adjust the dpi it swaps to if you're hard set on using it so that the change isn't as drastic.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Caeks posted:

I bet you anything Doomfist will be announced by Terry Crews at Blizzcon.

Isn't Blizzcon in November? Unless you're just suggesting Doomfist won't be next.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At this point Doomfist is a when, not an if. Blizzard's canny enough to ride the wave of fan hype and actually make Doomfist a playable character but it's up in the air whether they'd actually planned for him to be next in the release schedule or not.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
We're all missing the obvious answer - Hammond=Ham=Hog=Roadhog. Mutant moon pig, who evac'd from the moonbase, landed down under, and started a life of crime.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Posted in the chill thread - Hammond as I imagine him.

Edit: Hopefully this one doesn't 404

Caeks fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
a 404?