Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news, everybody!

https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/status/867489160889815040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Never.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

gently caress no.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Hah how about no and :fuckoff:

Ice Phisherman posted:

I feel like pegging minimum wage to inflation is a recipe for a crisis. When, not if, but when we enter a period of stagflation (stagnation and inflation) and we see nasty inflation like we did in the Carter era for example (15%) you'll see wages rise uncontrollably with inflation and when it picks up steam and the minimum wage raises and picks up people making just over it and so on and so forth you can see a nasty negative feedback loop until it stabilizes. If it stabilizes.

Not raising wages when they can reasonably be raised is a bad thing, but pegging wages to inflation is asking for trouble on a long enough timeline.

That is true... has any country done something similar to see a real world example? Just curious

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 30, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Paracaidas posted:

To belittle your statement: I'm not saying 'X person or Y constituency'. I'm saying that the people you claim are holding the Dems back from financial egalitarianism put into place someone whose most notable achievements were loving up the bottom lines of corporate America, Food Service, and Retail.

Who cares? What matters at this point is what direction for the party that he endorses, going forward. So far, he's been pretty bland on backing economic justice messaging. I don't think that means he's a soulless neoliberal or whatever, but I do think that if he believes that the Dems need to revitalize the pro-labor part of their coalition, he needs to come out and say it more strongly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gently caress zuck

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Ummm, yeah, that's going to be a no from me.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

quote:

Disrupt for America
:marc:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Run for lower office and prove you give a poo poo, you jackass

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know about you guys, but I'm preparing my rear end for 100 years of "idiots who know nothing about governing or public service winning elections and destroying society".

SOMEONE GET ME A TRAFFIC CONE.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Misleading headline.

The article posted:

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg confirmed that he is not running for President in 2020 earlier this week. But some of his supporters don't care.
A newly formed progressive Super PAC named "Disrupt for America" is now accepting donations for their cause: convincing Zuckerberg to run in 2020.
"We will have to convince the American people to convince Mark," a spokesperson for the PAC said in an email, noting that 2020 is still awhile away."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Raere posted:

It depends on the magnitude of the increase. People who say that increasing the minimum wage a few dollars will cause mass unemployment are wrong and always will be. But increasing it four fold? You don't need to talk to an economist to know that it would have a large effect.

Our economy and our businesses are suffering from slack demand, giving poor people more money is the most effective way to increase demand.

Other countries already have a $20 minimum wage and it's fine. You don't have to imagine what Economist Magazine might say, you can look at other countries that have had it for years.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh cool thanks for posting this so I have a chance to show everyone how cool and hip I am by saying gently caress no to zuck :cool: gently caress NO ZUCK am I cool yet?? guys I think zuck is a bad candidate am I cool yet

I have literally no concrete reason for my opposition but I know I'm supposed to say gently caress no to zuck because otherwise I won't be cool so gently caress NO ZUCK!!!!!!! :cool:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

VitalSigns posted:

Our economy and our businesses are suffering from slack demand, giving poor people more money is the most effective way to increase demand.

Other countries already have a $20 minimum wage and it's fine. You don't have to imagine what Economist Magazine might say, you can look at other countries that have had it for years.

Almost like an entire generation is starting adult life a year's pre-tax salary deep in non-dischargeable debt and 80% of people are one medical incident away from bankruptcy! Who would have thought we'd stop buying poo poo??

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

empty whippet box posted:

Oh cool thanks for posting this so I have a chance to show everyone how cool and hip I am by saying gently caress no to zuck :cool: gently caress NO ZUCK am I cool yet?? guys I think zuck is a bad candidate am I cool yet

I have literally no concrete reason for my opposition but I know I'm supposed to say gently caress no to zuck because otherwise I won't be cool so gently caress NO ZUCK!!!!!!! :cool:

No aristocrats.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm ready

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TremorX posted:

Misleading headline.

Ehhhhh, there's still three years time for him to change his mind and this sort of outlook is iffy already.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It is a very real concern that increasing the minimum wage too quickly in a low-wage environment will cause unemployment to rise. This is not a partisan attack, it's an economic reality.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

TremorX posted:

Misleading headline.

You ruined the fun.

It was funny to watch the reactions from people too lazy to click the link.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

He has absolutely nothing to recommend him besides billions of dollars. No charisma, no experience, not even anti-establishment cred because he has all of our personal data.

That chinless tube of flesh can get into a fatal car accident for all I care.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
That SUPER PAC sounds like an awful lot of effort on behalf of someone who has claimed they don't want to run for anything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
read the loving article

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

I'd prefer Tom from MySpace

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 30, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Liu posted:

That SUPER PAC sounds like an awful lot of effort on behalf of someone who has claimed they don't want to run for anything.

Why? Solicit donations off of idiots, and if Zuck doesn't run, then funnel the funds to businesses you control for nebulous other "political purposes" and you still win!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Xae posted:

You ruined the fun.

It was funny to watch the reactions from people too lazy to click the link.

If you want to bring back The Great Mattering, we seriously need to cut that poo poo out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

read the loving article

Article doesn't matter when everything he's done for the last six months have been such an obvious attempt to prime a run.

Maybe he finally snapped back to reality but I doubt it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

He has absolutely nothing to recommend him besides billions of dollars. No charisma, no experience, not even anti-establishment cred because he has all of our personal data.

So he's actually more qualified than the current president

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Skellybones posted:

So he's actually more qualified than the current president

The lowest bar to clear.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

read the loving article

Did but I know a scam when I see one. Next thing you know donors will be offered an extra hour in the ball pit for a extra fee.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

CelestialScribe posted:

It is a very real concern that increasing the minimum wage too quickly in a low-wage environment will cause unemployment to rise. This is not a partisan attack, it's an economic reality.

No it isn't a reality because it's never been shown empirically to happen, it's a theory that has a real bad track record of predicting the results of a minimum wage increase.

Also irrelevant because minimum wage increases larger than a couple dollars are phased in over a period of years anyway so just do that.

Except I believe Sea-Tac jumped to a $15 wage right away and everyone who predicted economic doom was wrong, again

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Did but I know a scam when I see one. Next thing you know donors will be offered an extra hour in the ball pit for a extra fee.

they're orbs

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

:aaaaa: it all makes sense now :aaaaa:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Majorian posted:

Who cares? What matters at this point is what direction for the party that he endorses, going forward. So far, he's been pretty bland on backing economic justice messaging. I don't think that means he's a soulless neoliberal or whatever, but I do think that if he believes that the Dems need to revitalize the pro-labor part of their coalition, he needs to come out and say it more strongly.

I see we've now come all the way around from "You can't trust what they say, look at what they do" to "You can't trust what they've done, listen to what they say".

Comforting, in a way.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

And thanks to the time dilation an extra hour stretches for e t e r n i t y

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump is going to win a second term. Lets come to grips with tbatm even if congress wins the 2018 elections, the republicans will retake in 2020 and chariot the incumbent. This is reality.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Trump is going to win a second term. Lets come to grips with tbatm even if congress wins the 2018 elections, the republicans will retake in 2020 and chariot the incumbent. This is reality.

What else do you divine out of your glass ball of rear end?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He's a multi billionaire. The idea of donating to him is loving retarded even if he was running.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

So if someone advocates UBI, medicare for all, and taxing the rich more, you still oppose them if they don't have 'charisma' and 'anti-establishment cred'? (lack of experience is a fair complaint though I'm not sure it matters anymore)

Is your complaint about him that you don't think he could win because of these issues or something else? I hate billionaires as much as anyone else but if someone has a good shot of winning and advocates for things that I deeply care about then I'm not seeing the problem.

SeANMcBAY posted:

He's a multi billionaire. The idea of donating to him is loving retarded.

That's fine, but that doesn't make him a bad candidate, it just means he should pay for his own goddamn campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'd prefer Tom from MySpace

If Zuckerberg runs, the Winklevoss twins will follow. No one wants that.

• Locked thread