Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I am so unbelievably psyched for the next episode. Goddamn. :rock:

Gonna marathon this whole thing when it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I just realized Kevin Sr was on the roof after the failed end of the world much like the pilgrims or whatever they were in the beginning of the season

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
It would have been nice if Kevin died like 2 times max. I think he's died at least 5 times now

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw episode 7, I'm not sure where the penis scanner fits on the retard scale of the show. I guess right below the magical negro in the cabin called virgil who is a guide to the afterlife.

No, maybe it's the most clichéd metaphor of inward struggle: literally killing another version of yourself. My students in grade 9 don't hand in writing this lazy.

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1. I guess I'm the only non-fanboy left now. Feels good in a masochist kind of way.

There's a reason noone watches this anymore, or why it's not registering any awards.

edit: season 1 still good though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is he really dead though?
Yeah. He drank poison that stopped his heart and then was buried one time

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

oliwan posted:

I just saw episode 7, I'm not sure where the penis scanner fits on the retard scale of the show. I guess right below the magical negro in the cabin called virgil who is a guide to the afterlife.

No, maybe it's the most clichéd metaphor of inward struggle: literally killing another version of yourself. My students in grade 9 don't hand in writing this lazy.

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1. I guess I'm the only non-fanboy left now. Feels good in a masochist kind of way.

There's a reason noone watches this anymore, or why it's not registering any awards.

Penis flop greatest technical achievement 2017 Emmy

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

maniacripper posted:

Penis flop greatest technical achievement 2017 Emmy

tbh I'm just jealous that my penis doesn't make that flop sound

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The Penis Scanner is such a profoundly beautiful metaphor that I'm sorry you don't get it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oliwan posted:

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1.

We don't either, and certainly wouldn't have missed you. :tipshat:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
One needs to truly free the Penis, before one can gain access to duality of the self.

The Penis is the key to understanding the soul. It's beautiful.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

For a second I tried to think of a show that has a passionate following that I could start watching and then trolling its fans with "edgy", contrarian critiques on internet message boards but then I realized that doing absolutely anything else would be a better use of my time.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does the Penis Scanner work? Does it measure weight? Or girth? Both?

What if it's cold outside?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

oliwan posted:

You never had to watch s2 or 3 to begin with.

"I have sat through 17 hours of television that I hated, now let me tell YOU, fans, why YOU are the dumb ones!"

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes well in retrospect I regret having watched season 2 and 3, but what can I do?

Also, why is giving my opinion considered trolling? Are we only allowed to be positive about the show here?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kevin's secret bunker code is 6969.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In order to truly understand himself, Kevin needs the two essential keys to enlightenment: his penis and 6969.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

oliwan posted:

Yes well in retrospect I regret having watched season 2 and 3, but what can I do?

Also, why is giving my opinion considered trolling? Are we only allowed to be positive about the show here?

I agreed with all the individual points you made and still found your posts to be grossly insufferable, so maybe that's the sign

e: hahahaha I didn't realize this was the same poster who was going on about his MA in literature. I don't think your posts are insufferable anymore, now I think they are hilarious

Can you imagine being a student in this guy's English class? We should start a GoFundMe for those poor kids

ricro fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 30, 2017

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

oliwan posted:

your opinions, especially for someone who cites an educational background on these things, tend to be the most literal and boring interpretation. People fighting themselves is a trope (Logan did it recently), but in context is used in support of more interesting character development and plot themes. Your stuff amounts to pointing and going "chekov's gun" even in situations where it's used in service of a good story, just because you think it's some distinct knowledge you have. You're that guy.

You also seem generally confused about moments of levity or fun so you come off as an unfun person.

Canadian Surf Club fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

oliwan posted:

Why are you the way you are? Honestly, every time that we try to watch something fun, or exciting on The Leftovers, you make it not that way.

I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Canadian Surf Club posted:

the Cairo voice over the radio

I have either forgotten this or missed its significance to begin with. What was it?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oliwan posted:

Also, why is giving my opinion considered trolling?

"no one watches this anymore" is both incorrect as an opinion and factually (each episode's getting more viewers than anything 2015's second season received, and viewership isn't why the story's ending but because the showrunners wanted to conclude everything in the third season)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just a word of warning: it sounds like there will be advanced screenings of the finale for reviewers, so spoilers may leak.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I think it's pretty clear that there is no "God" in the Leftovers universe. I wonder if that will play in the finale next week.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I thought this episode "really told people that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier"? That doesn't sound too ambiguous.

You left off the beginning of that post where I said "I feel." I didn't mean for it to come off as authoritative. Just my personal interpretation of the show and I'm totally down with reading others. Except for Oliwan. He/She has an MA in literature and is too smart for me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

I think it's pretty clear that there is no "God" in the Leftovers universe. I wonder if that will play in the finale next week.

How is this clear?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

UmOk posted:

How is this clear?

I was going to say it's perfectly possible he's just an absentee father who just pulled the departure because he's so loving bored children of earth.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

How is this clear?

Patti's quote stating that she knows there absolutely isn't a God made it pretty clear for me. She stated that Kevin brought her out of retirement, and since Kevin helped her she felt obliged to help him.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

UmOk posted:

How is this clear?

Because Matt watched a lion eat Him.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Patti's quote stating that she knows there absolutely isn't a God made it pretty clear for me. She stated that Kevin brought her out of retirement, and since Kevin helped her she felt obliged to help him.

So there is an afterlife but no god?

Patti has never really been a reliable source of information.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lindelof has actually said that within the Leftovers' universe, atheism doesn't really work anymore. Because of the departure and the way it happened (too clean and tidy to be a natural phenomenon, too far beyond human technology to be man-made), a higher power/intelligence must be involved-- whether divine or demonic or alien or whatever.

A huge point of interest for the show is examining the outrageous and desperate ways people start to behave when they get confirmation there is a god of some kind-- an active god, ad that-- but that this god is not explaining itself.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

You left off the beginning of that post where I said "I feel." I didn't mean for it to come off as authoritative. Just my personal interpretation of the show and I'm totally down with reading others. Except for Oliwan. He/She has an MA in literature and is too smart for me.
It's all good. I just feel that the show has done a very, very good job of being ambiguous. Perhaps funny isn't the right word for me to have used (or smug for that matter). I guess I find it interesting that the folks that don't find it as ambiguous skew towards being sure that nothing is supernatural. One might say you have faith that there's no reason for faith. :colbert:

At any rate I'm right there with you, Oliwan is too smart for me as well.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

So there is an afterlife but no god?

Patti has never really been a reliable source of information.

Patti in the "other world" has always been an ally of Kevin's

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Patti in the "other world" has always been an ally of Kevin's

So you think the other place is just in Kevins head?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Just ignore the troll and stop feeding it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

oliwan posted:

In order to truly understand himself, Kevin needs the two essential keys to enlightenment: his penis and 6969.

The funny thing is this bought me back to my college days. Whenever I had to get into an apartment complex with a coded gate the first numbers I'd try would be 6969, followed by 1234 and 4321. One of those were bound to work and if it didn't then whatever I looked up my friend's name in the box but most of the time 6969 worked.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Lindelof has actually said that within the Leftovers' universe, atheism doesn't really work anymore. Because of the departure and the way it happened (too clean and tidy to be a natural phenomenon, too far beyond human technology to be man-made), a higher power/intelligence must be involved-- whether divine or demonic or alien or whatever.

You know that the existence of aliens doesn't preclude atheist beliefs, right?

If anything, the mass undermining of traditional religions would bolster atheist thought, much like WW2 did.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the flashbacks have been a little much this season, I don't know why there is so much of it when there wasn't any need for it in season 2.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Sometimes people use the word "atheist" colloquially to mean something more like a general skeptic, like someone who doesn't believe in gods or souls or the afterlife etc.

Invalid Validation posted:

I think the flashbacks have been a little much this season, I don't know why there is so much of it when there wasn't any need for it in season 2.

There were a few in season 2. During the "Homeward Bound" karaoke scene, for example.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Invalid Validation posted:

Leftovers has always been a little heavy on the "Quick cut to thing you probably remember" (Most egregious in my book: Matt sees the body of the guy who beat him up, broke his hand, stole his car AND credentials to get into Miracle, and the show gives you a flashback to that very event which happened not half an hour ago. Just in case you didn't remember what drove the entire plot of the episode!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don't remember them in season 2 but it's been a while and it didn't seem so egregious.

• Locked thread