Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Hulkenberg for the record. He's a good midfield driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
He was pretty good against Perez, and Perez (especially in recent years) is v good. Therefore I think the Hulk is pretty good too. If you don't consider him atleast a decent talent then thats not saying much for the rest of the grid.

I mean he is clearly better then Stroll, Ericsson, and Palmer.

Very likely better then Magnussen, Kvyat, current - Massa, Vandoorne (although he could be improving)

Arguably better then Ocon (could improve), Grosjean (who I find massively overrated), Wehrlein, current - Raikkonen.

Probably around equal to Bottas and Perez.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think Stoffel is being held back by his car. He scored points with a decidedly less poo poo McLaren last year, so there's definitely some talent there.

e: In a better car, I can see GRO performing better (as in podiums potentially), or continuing to finish mid-low points. He's probably in the same boat as Hulk is: decent driver, decent car, maybe good for a support role as the guy you want on a top team to help secure the WCC but won't challenge your #1.

e2: also, well delayed, but I think F1 putting in the higher curbs is a good idea. Enforcing track limits via software is dumb. Enforcing them via actual potential damage to the car? Better.

Until someone launches anyway.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 30, 2017

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

a kitten posted:

I was sort of vaguely interested in following F1 again and now i can't even figure out what happened to Good Lotus. Are they still around in some form? I don't see that cool black and gold 2011 livery anywhere.

black and gold was bad lotus

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hope this isn't too much to ask but can I get your opinions on best looking f1 car? I know this is a broad question but whatever. I'll open with this guy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dubs posted:

black and gold was bad lotus

Black and Gold was Lotus rather than Caterham running under the Lotus name for some reason.
Lotus are not actively racing, again. They've been having some... uhh... financial booboos for several years, even though they're actively making the most rational Lotus in decades.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wiltsghost posted:

Hope this isn't too much to ask but can I get your opinions on best looking f1 car? I know this is a broad question but whatever. I'll open with this guy.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Wiltsghost posted:

Hope this isn't too much to ask but can I get your opinions on best looking f1 car? I know this is a broad question but whatever.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Gurney Eagle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wiltsghost posted:

I have nothing else to add because the red and white McLaren is my real choice too.

(The worst thread is always the best when we get into liveries.)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Also any Ferrari with the number 27 gives me the feels.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wiltsghost posted:

It's this one.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Caterham were physically and morally good lotus, they had the factory and all the old cars. Then Renault were sold to a consortium without a name and were sponsored by the road car wing of Lotus. They simply bullied their way into calling themselves lotus because at that brief moment in time they had lots of money and caterham did not.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

It's definitely this one, though it's a close first to

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

If we're talking recent cars, I'm a bit fond of Honda's 2008 efforts - loved the livery... shame about those godawful wheel cover things that were all the rage (and looked hideous)

edit: vvvv and that

enri fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 30, 2017

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Theophany posted:

Also any Ferrari with the number 27 gives me the feels.

I love the V12 look, the rounded nose and wide rear wing still makes me happy. Though not as much as this hideous yet beautiful thing, I love the flat nose.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

If there is one good thing about the Andrea Modas it's that they were decent looking cars.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's the appropriate use of colour that does it for me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Your favourite F1 car is the 9/11 Ferrari?

Lmao heil hitler

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wirth1000 posted:

Lmao heil hitler

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

It's the appropriate use of colour that does it for me.

You went for 90s Renault Williams and didn't even pick the best one:

Damon Hill in this livery was my favourite pick in the 1996 Formula 1 game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I miss the days of simpler aero.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also for old cars I love this weird loving thing.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

iospace posted:

Define simpler:

Shark fins though are an abomination, no contest.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I could be really naive but I think Ferrari was just responding to Mercedes. RBR also did, no one was skewering them for "team-ordering" Ricciardo around Max. Sky sucks. Monaco sucks.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antti posted:

Define simpler:

Jochen Rindt :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Antti posted:

Define simpler:

Shark fins though are an abomination, no contest.

Front wings that have ten million elements (today's) are not as attractive to me as the ones that have maybe 3-5 elements (like the MP4/4's, which has two if you don't count the side boards). I understand that each element has a purpose, but it feels needlessly complex.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

iospace posted:

If you were watching F1 from like 2005 to 2008 then even the current cars can still very easily be defined as simple aero. No elephant wings, chimneys, double decker front wings...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Whilst Jense may have pissed in Nando's F1 car, I suspect Nando shat in his IndyCar.

https://twitter.com/StorkPatrick/status/869309605184241664

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

iospace posted:

Front wings that have ten million elements (today's) are not as attractive to me as the ones that have maybe 3-5 elements (like the MP4/4's, which has two if you don't count the side boards). I understand that each element has a purpose, but it feels needlessly complex.

Honestly I agree, but I wonder if it's bias from having grown up in the 90s. The aero on the 90s cars looks appropriate and slick while the modern cars just have too many bits and bobs on them.

On the other hand outside of the shark fin, the cars in 2017 look pretty close to the cars from 1997 in general appearance. Just don't sweat the details. But then you go to late 1980s and the cars have this stubby quality to them and the further back you go the weirder and goofier the cars look until you loop back around to classy.

In that sense I guess the aero has been "solved" in the 90s once we got computers and wind tunnels, and now it's just a matter of futzing around the rules.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

If you were watching F1 from like 2005 to 2008 then even the current cars can still very easily be defined as simple aero. No elephant wings, chimneys, double decker front wings...

Yeah... It's why I love the MP4/4. It's simple and clean. Also, I think the aero is still as bad as back then, it's just hidden well down in in the barge board instead of, you know, all the bits hanging off the side pods.

Antti posted:

Honestly I agree, but I wonder if it's bias from having grown up in the 90s. The aero on the 90s cars looks appropriate and slick while the modern cars just have too many bits and bobs on them.

On the other hand outside of the shark fin, the cars in 2017 look pretty close to the cars from 1997 in general appearance. Just don't sweat the details. But then you go to late 1980s and the cars have this stubby quality to them and the further back you go the weirder and goofier the cars look until you loop back around to classy.

In that sense I guess the aero has been "solved" in the 90s once we got computers and wind tunnels, and now it's just a matter of futzing around the rules.

Yup, CAD is pretty much how it got here, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no way than current cars are more complicated than the Williams FW14B

• Locked thread