Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How the hell does food chain justify 110 bucks when it weighs less then 2kg and isn't exactly overflowing with pieces like aFfO. Gloomhaven is 10 bucks more, weighs 5 times more and has so much more to it. I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tai posted:

How the hell does food chain justify 110 bucks when it weighs less then 2kg and isn't exactly overflowing with pieces like aFfO.

Made by two guys in a Belgian garage.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Splotter should really get on the Kickstarter train. They are a company that could benefit a lot from that model and a lot more people could get their games at a better price.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rumda posted:

Made by two guys in a Dutch Belgian garage.

I was wrong.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bottom Liner posted:

Splotter should really get on the Kickstarter train. They are a company that could benefit a lot from that model and a lot more people could get their games at a better price.

I think they get more mileage going the Spielworks route of doing 1 print run and then licensing out their design.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tai posted:

How the hell does food chain justify 110 bucks when it weighs less then 2kg and isn't exactly overflowing with pieces like aFfO. Gloomhaven is 10 bucks more, weighs 5 times more and has so much more to it. I don't get it. Please enlighten me.

Paging Rutibex for a Price to Component (PtC) cost comparison

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

taser rates posted:

If they come out right at the start of Age I they can be good, otherwise you might as well just invest in a third or fourth bronze worker and pick up yellow cards. The Age I agriculture card is very good though, I recommend that over Iron if you have the choice.
Yep, I agree with this. I do pick up Iron Age I but the production increase is minimal if you don't pick it up early and doing the agriculture route where you just get a ton of workers can work well. Just be very careful of not producing too much grain, to the extent that you suffer corruption because you stored so much grain, as that makes it difficult to keep stocks of ore from round to round.

Talking about TtA, Paul from SUSD is SO ANGRY that the game is considered good.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Gloomhaven is also pretty significantly underpriced imo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Also the components is does have look like prototypes, a shameful board game. You should clone the rules and publish it on Thegamecrafter.com for $20. You can't patent boardgames rules.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

misguided rage posted:

Gloomhaven is also pretty significantly underpriced imo.

Yeah absolutely.

The board gaming scene isn't quite as bad as the tabletop RPG scene in that regard, but either board gamers refuse to see game design, testing, etc., as actual work/labor and thus aren't willing to pay appropriately for the sheer amount of time and effort that goes into making games, or publishers assume gamers think that and price accordingly (years of the latter may also have caused the former).

A game like FCM where it has the meat to really sink your teeth into for a long-rear end time absolutely deserves a high price tag, because the mechanics are worth it. Especially since most of these games are designed by 1-2 people over long periods of time. It's the reason I don't mind paying relatively high amounts for Sirlin's games even if they'd be priced $20-40 cheaper under a big publisher. I see the amount of time that goes into game design as worthy of a respectable wage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Yep, I agree with this. I do pick up Iron Age I but the production increase is minimal if you don't pick it up early and doing the agriculture route where you just get a ton of workers can work well. Just be very careful of not producing too much grain, to the extent that you suffer corruption because you stored so much grain, as that makes it difficult to keep stocks of ore from round to round.

Talking about TtA, Paul from SUSD is SO ANGRY that the game is considered good.

Yeah I was honestly kind of confused by that.

Like, "play it once you've seen everything the game has to offer" is like saying "play 1830 once, and you never need to look at it or any other 18xx game again because it's just the same stuff, coming out at different times maybe". Or an abstract. Or any loving game I don't understand it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Like, "play it once you've seen everything the game has to offer" is like saying "play 1830 once, and you never need to look at it or any other 18xx game again because it's just the same stuff, coming out at different times maybe". Or an abstract. Or any loving game I don't understand it.
Also there's an expansion for nTTA coming, which puts further holes in that theory. The possibilities in 18XX alone are so diverse that I've never seen a game come out twice, the end conditions have always been different. And the market row in TtA along with the event deck means that no two games are ever the same and you have to improvise to be good at the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the best part of TTA is actually when the thing you built for doesn't come out and you improvise wildly to secure the points you need to win.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

silvergoose posted:

We are at kind of a weird point now where a significant fraction of games have "discovery" content you won't see on a first play. Right now, the games I'm playing regularly are Gloomhaven, Mechs vs. Minions, various escape games, and Pandemic Legacy - all of which have secret content. I mean, even the more standard games I've liked tend towards heavily variable setups (eg. Dominion or Agricola), but right now we're in a real boom of sealed envelopes and big reveals. It actually felt a little weird playing T&E the other day in that there was no asymmetric factions or upgrade market or game rules revealed in stage 2.

But yeah, I do think comments like the one you're mentioning show a shallow level of thought. It's like the classic Vassel "all you do is play cards"; it's sort of trivially true, but it's missing any sort of point. If you feel a game lacks depth, you need to explain why that is - at very least, you could talk about things that have proven repetitive in your plays. Replayability is rightly an important thing that a review should address, but you need to put some thought in it (and, probably, a few playthroughs at least). Clearly games can have lots of depth without hidden content or variable setups, and on the flip side, having that stuff doesn't mean the game won't fall into a rut. But as we're always complaining, boardgame reviews are still mostly at the "this one is fun, this one is boring" stage.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hey can someone explain why all the non standard 1830 scenarios in the Mayfair version aren't good? I'm not good at the game in general so I don't know what they change or omit in effect.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think that the thought of "rules are good or bad within a certain context" is shown with the market row in nTTA. I hate it in dominion clones but it tests your engine's flexibility in Civ-type games. Similarly, it's like the card-driven COIN games. The feel of unexpected events seems more like a test to overcome rather than some bullshit talisman event you literally cannot do anything about.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of escape games, I noticed that the Kosmos Exit escape puzzle games were nominated for SdJ 2017. Despite constant disappointment, I like this genre, so I was excited to try some that were perhaps better designed than what we've tried before.

Holy cow are these ones bad! Dumb, dumb gimmicks. Terrible puzzle design, poor translation (at least I hope that's the reason lots of stuff made no sense), and groaner answer after groaner answer. I've gone through 2 of them now, and in all of that content there was maybe 1 or 2 elements that were OK. If you can imagine a frustrating flaw that a puzzle game could have, its here.

You want "robbing you of satisfaction by just telling you answers"? Yep, sure. You want "I beat my head against this puzzle, not realizing we didn't have all the pieces yet"? Constant. You want "Why was there all this irrelevant content when the solution arbitrarily required only this part?" All the time. Also: cliched "puzzles" that you've done 10 times before, absolute non-puzzles where it just tells you answer (there was a couple really bizarre ones..), awkward delivery because of zero budget for production value, must-destroy components so you can't have someone else re-use the game, the least effective "answer check" mechanism I've seen in one of these games... I really can't say enough bad about these.

This nomination is perfectly in keeping with giving T>I>M>E> S.T.O.R.I.E.S. awards last year, I guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Banana Man posted:

Hey can someone explain why all the non standard 1830 scenarios in the Mayfair version aren't good? I'm not good at the game in general so I don't know what they change or omit in effect.
They either weren't playtested very well or the scenarios, try to 'fix' 1830 in ways that don't work, or he scenario is meant to fix an issue with the game that was only an issue because of the weird meta-gameplay of the designer. The game becomes more clunky, doesn't add enough to fix what it was meant to fix and instead makes the game worse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tai posted:

The price tag sucks from an upfront perspective, but it's super cheap from an entertainment-per-dollar perspective. I've played it about a dozen times now, everyone who I've played it with has enjoyed it and been interested in playing it again, and I'm not getting close to getting sick of it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Splotter games are expensive. It's their thing. It is what it is. If you're looking for a tangible 'justification' of why they cost more than other games, there probably isn't really a good one. Speciality games get expensive but even by that standard they're a bit much. At the end of the day though enough people buy em at that price that they keep doing it. And people seem to have fun with them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Chill la Chill posted:

Similarly, it's like the card-driven COIN games. The feel of unexpected events seems more like a test to overcome rather than some bullshit talisman event you literally cannot do anything about.

This might just be a Cuba Libre complaint, but I wish COIN had split event decks like Twilight Struggle. Certain cards (~Che Guevara~) can drastically shift the game if they come out at different times. So I'd like to see it split between early decade, mid decade, and end of the decade event decks. Though I hear the events are not nearly as game changing in other COIN games.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

golden bubble posted:

This might just be a Cuba Libre complaint, but I wish COIN had split event decks like Twilight Struggle. Certain cards (~Che Guevara~) can drastically shift the game if they come out at different times. So I'd like to see it split between early decade, mid decade, and end of the decade event decks. Though I hear the events are not nearly as game changing in other COIN games.

That would actually be trivially easy to do in Cuba Libre because of the propaganda seeding.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

Speaking of escape games, I noticed that the Kosmos Exit escape puzzle games were nominated for SdJ 2017. Despite constant disappointment, I like this genre, so I was excited to try some that were perhaps better designed than what we've tried before.

Holy cow are these ones bad! Dumb, dumb gimmicks.

We only played the Egypt themed one so far, but they are not that bad. I mean it wasn't super difficult and one puzzle was worded completely stupid (in German) so that we didn't figure it out until we looked at the hint card, but then again, these are not aimed exclusively at adults, are they?

We used ours as starting point for a board gaming session right after dinner, and it lent itself well to that. And as for destroying pieces, it cost 12€ and entertained 4 people for an hour. That's less than the price of 1 cinema ticket.
However, it would have been relatively easy to keep it whole, all you need is a printer with a copy function.

I agree they are not a revelation and I don't think they should be nominated either, but they work well as family game. I am tempted to buy the bigger one (or is there two now?) to see if they are more difficult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

little munchkin posted:

hey yall, does anyone know of any ice-breaker games (the get-to-know-each-other kind) that aren't super lame?

Spyfall maybe?

You're not literally going to find out things about the other people but it's a great icebreaker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

little munchkin posted:

hey yall, does anyone know of any ice-breaker games (the get-to-know-each-other kind) that aren't super lame?
Codenames? Maybe Dixit?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Another fun simple ice breaker is Eat Poop You Cat. All you need is a piece of paper and a pen per player and it is independent of player count, though it is more fun with 4+ people.
The Times we played it, everybody had a great laugh.

You can easily google how it works.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Hopper posted:

I agree they are not a revelation and I don't think they should be nominated either, but they work well as family game. I am tempted to buy the bigger one (or is there two now?) to see if they are more difficult.

I'd suggest trying one from a different brand next; I think if you like the Kosmos ones, you'll be quite happy with some of the others.

VVV: The "4 in a box" one is fine, and I like their "base mechanics" (I haven't tried the expansions for this one yet). Of the other one-shot/misc series we've tried, I think "Dr. Gravely's Retreat" has gone over the best.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 30, 2017

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rumda posted:

Yes but that card is explained on the card like anything remotely complex.

Admittedly, the last time I looked at that was on the iPad version, so I did not see it on the card (had to double click for the explanation, and had to double click for the explanation on a lot of cards where the iconography alone was confusing to me).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm going to be playing/teaching Falling Sky for the first time. I'm going through the playbook tutorial right now.

What are some common mistakes to be aware of, and which factions are easier/harder? I get the feeling that the Romans are trickier. I've at least played Cuba Libre before, and I'm not sure how many of the other players have played a COIN game, so I'd like to take one of the harder factions.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

golden bubble posted:

Fire in the Lake has this as an optional rule

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

little munchkin posted:

It's definitely more party event than a serious game, but I really like GiftTrap. It takes about 45 minutes to play, doesn't require a lot of thought, and is all about giving each other presents, and you can learn a lot about people but what they'd like and dislike. It's especially hilarious when all the available gift options are weird things like "pot belly pig" and "anger management classes" and it becomes difficult to give things that are even remotely desirable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been playing quite a bit of Race for the Galaxy on the tablet.

Jesus I really loving hate the iconography.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll never get the Race icon hate, once you play a single game there should be no question how it works. They could invent a new symbol and you can assume how it works based on what phase it's tied to.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

I'd suggest trying one from a different brand next; I think if you like the Kosmos ones, you'll be quite happy with some of the others.

Yeah that's what I meant, there is one from another brand that has 4 scenarios and expansions as well. And I think there is one more from yet another brand, but I am not sure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Probably because my first game was taught by a guy who wouldnt shut up about how brilliant it was and kept making GBS threads on us for not getting it.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
How is Feast for Odin with 4 players?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

lordsummerisle posted:

How is Feast for Odin with 4 players?

Supposedly it can drag a bit. I play it 2 player and it's a good game length. Not sure if I could play it on a regular basis as a 4 player game but I've not tried it so.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tai posted:

Supposedly it can drag a bit. I play it 2 player and it's a good game length. Not sure if I could play it on a regular basis as a 4 player game but I've not tried it so.

I think you need to be fairly willing to 'play fast' i.e slap workers on actions during your turn, and use the downtime to tetris.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Every drat dedicated icebreaker game is lame more or less by design, since they basically consist of mechanisms to force players to divulge personal information with a shell of game on top. I think The Fat Penguin does this fairly well if you're into that, but it's not gonna be a good gaming experience.

The related and less personal option is quiz games. Timeline is the best I know of, so get that, it takes like ten seconds to explain and five minutes per round.

The third option is social games. I think secret identities is suboptimal, but ones that rely on references are great. Codenames is great for outing nerdy frames of reference, same for Dixit.

Fourth option requires people who don't mind learning rules for a bit. Basically, make the game force people to talk, either about solutions in co op games like Pandemic or Forbidden Island or about who to gently caress up and why in gotcha heavy games like Colt Express Or Tsuro or something. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on actual titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Just pop open Advanced Squad Leader and soon you'll know if they're worth acquainting with.