Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it'll be autumn/winter. If we don't make it back this year then we'll hold off until next autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I've got mod permission to post about a new site I've launched: http://nomunication.jp
It's all about drinking in Tokyo. Not eating, sorry, only drinking.

Although the content should appeal to both residents and visitors, since this is the tourism thread I should give a special mention to the various guides I've written. The first is the bar FAQ which is a good place to start if you've never been in a stuffy cocktail bar, or drinking in Japan. There's also a bar genre guide to take you through the different you'll run across while here. I've also written a guide to the drinking laws (or the lack thereof) in Japan, and there's even a phrasebook for those with limited Japanese.

Let me know if there's something specific you want me to cover!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hi I live in Japan now, what's the best mobile carrier and since I'm planning to stay for a while should I get a credit card or just stick with the debit card my bank is giving me.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello where in japan are you living ?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kanazawa, not to be confused with Kanagawa.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Like the other side of the coast middle of nowhere?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I prefer to think of it as "rustic."

EDIT: It's actually a pretty standard medium-sized Japanese city with some interesting history.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 30, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kanazawa is good. Good seafood. Also if you go past the train station everything between there and the coast is indistinguishable from the US urban design-wise.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

genki mobile for unlocked sim and no one will give you a credit card until you've lived here for at least a year and learn the secret handshakes

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

zmcnulty posted:

So I've got mod permission to post about a new site I've launched: http://nomunication.jp
It's all about drinking in Tokyo. Not eating, sorry, only drinking.

Although the content should appeal to both residents and visitors, since this is the tourism thread I should give a special mention to the various guides I've written. The first is the bar FAQ which is a good place to start if you've never been in a stuffy cocktail bar, or drinking in Japan. There's also a bar genre guide to take you through the different you'll run across while here. I've also written a guide to the drinking laws (or the lack thereof) in Japan, and there's even a phrasebook for those with limited Japanese.

Let me know if there's something specific you want me to cover!
This'll be super handy for my next trip!

Also turns out I've been using the wrong kanji for nomu? I've been using 飲 this whole time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

This'll be super handy for my next trip!

Also turns out I've been using the wrong kanji for nomu? I've been using 飲 this whole time.

What...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The site has a heading of 呑む & COMMUNICATION = NOMUNICATION and I'm assuming a guy who's a Japanese booze expert knows the kanji for drinking better than me, who did almost entirely self-study kanji.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
飲む(P); 呑む; 飮む(oK); 服む(iK) 【のむ】 (v5m,vt) (1) (呑む is often used metaphorically; 服む is often used for medicine) to drink; to gulp; to swallow; to take (medicine)

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Japan goons!

I will be in tokyo with 2 friends for halloween, 28 Oct -1 Nov... who wants to party?! Ned your rear end better show...

Afterwards I'll be in Fukuoka from ~1 Nov - 13 Nov, let's drink!

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Extremely long shot, but is anyone else living or present in Japan going to be visiting Taiwan in the near future? I forgot to exchange Taiwan dollars back into yen before leaving the country and now I can only get a garbage rate from Traveler's Exchange. I don't need the current rate exactly, just something reasonably close to it.

Alternatively, a better place to exchange currency than Traveler's Exchange would be appreciated. Would my regular bank be the best choice?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yo I might be into that. How much TD are you holding?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
About $9000 and I'm looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.2万円. (The other place only offered around 2.7万) You don't need to take it all at once of course.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's like 3.3man jpy? I'll take it all. PM or Line?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'll be in Tokyo in November and I'd like to do a day trip to Izu Oshima, go to the volcano, maybe do the crater walk if possible, and take the ferry back on the same day. Is this at all viable? Unfortunately the ferry company's not posted any schedules for November, but what worries me more is the complete inavailability of useful information on buses on the island. Yes, internet, thanks for telling me a bus will take me TO the volcano right after the ferry arrives. When does it go back, though?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Everyone needs to know how awesome the folks in this thread are. You all really helped me out of a jam after losing my wallet last night. If it turns up again great, but even if not I'm awed and incredibly grateful for the help I got to keep me from being essentially a homeless person.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Some years ago I lost my wallet, phone, wifebeater, and keys (alcohol and a pool party were involved). I was down in Zushi so walking home wasn't an option. Some guy who felt sorry for me gave me 1000 yen, and like an actual homeless, I spent it on booze. Then spent the night in the back of a girl's car in her driveway since she didn't trust me enough to invite me inside. The next morning I had the bright idea to call my own phone using a payphone, and the party venue had everything, cash still in wallet :japan:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So far the worst thing about living in Japan is the fact that the garbagemen pick up burnable trash twice a week but plastic trash twice a month, despite the fact that I accumulate much more plastics than burnables.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's just your own terrible city/neighborhood, sorry. Do they make you write your name on the bags, too?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

So far the worst thing about living in Japan is the fact that the garbagemen pick up burnable trash twice a week but plastic trash twice a month, despite the fact that I accumulate much more plastics than burnables.

Stop eating convenience store food for every meal.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

peanut posted:

That's just your own terrible city/neighborhood, sorry. Do they make you write your name on the bags, too?

No, and I don't need to use special bags or anything, I can throw it in any old plastic bag I want, so there's at least that.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Stop eating convenience store food for every meal.

Never.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, my husband and I are planning on going to Japan next May. If it works out, we may try to go on a tour with some friends and acquaintances of ours.

Specifically, I was looking at this tour: http://www.tourradar.com/t/1633

I would like to spend a few days in Tokyo and at least one night at a ryokan, which it seems this tour provides.

I can say "sorry", "thank you" and "good morning" in Japanese, but not a whole lot else. That's why I'm leaning on doing a tour, so there's someone around to help us out, translate and take care of reservations and stuff. I know Tokyo is supposed to be pretty easy to get around in if you only know English, but I'd like to visit some other places too.

What are people's opinions on group tours like these? They seem pretty pricey, but I'd consider it worth it to avoid the hassle of getting around all by ourselves in a country where we can't speak or read the language.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
If you're okay with just visiting the tourist spots, which it seems you certainly are, there should be no need for you to go on a tour just due to language. There are tons and tons of resources in English and when it comes to tourist-heavy places, everything you need will have an English translation.

That said, it depends on what kind of accommodations you'd really like to get while you're in Japan. If you cheap out, you can get hotels for under 100/night, but a nice place can easily be more. It looks like they are able to offer that price by basically making people share rooms. Don't know how often but if privacy is important for you then a tour is not the plan for you.

Looks like it DOES include train tickets, though, which is pretty nice.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Well, if we weren't going on a tour, I'd have a hard time narrowing down all the places I'd want to go and planning an itinerary.

If we were to go with friends, I don't think we'd have any problems sharing rooms with them.

I guess I'll just have to talk it over with everyone.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
If you were to go with friends, why would you all go on a tour?

Planning trips and narrowing down places is just part of traveling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

An overnight package with a bus to somewhere hard to reach by train is fine but doing the whole trip as a tour in a non-dangerous country is for olds.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I've never travelled outside of North America before. A tour just seems really easy, is all.

I suppose I could start planning it myself. Maybe I will!

A friend who lives there recommended visiting Hakone or ShuzenjI for a ryokan.

Another friend recommended the Studio Ghibli Museum.

I'd also like to see the deer in Nara, check out some cool historic sites and gardens and explore parts of Tokyo like Akihabara and Shibuya.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tours are bad don't go on tours. Japan is easy mode, you won't have any real problems.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

It's a bit tough to justify that price. You're really only getting hotels and trains, $400/night for two people. The itinerary says basically everyday is a free day, so I wonder how helpful your guide will really be. The guide section says they can recommend local guides as well, what's the point of that. As far as I can tell it doesn't include food or lots of activities either.

Hotels and trains are usually simple as hell, you can do that on your own.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Traveling is super easy nowadays. Just get internet, google maps, and go here

http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan

With internet access you can always search for locations, use google translate on the fly, and go wherever.

zmcnulty posted:

It's a bit tough to justify that price. You're really only getting hotels and trains, $400/night for two people. The itinerary says basically everyday is a free day, so I wonder how helpful your guide will really be. The guide section says they can recommend local guides as well, what's the point of that. As far as I can tell it doesn't include food or lots of activities either.

Hotels and trains are usually simple as hell, you can do that on your own.

People go on tours because it's cheap and hassle free. If food is not included then it's not really hassle free and cheap.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nessa posted:

I've never travelled outside of North America before. A tour just seems really easy, is all.

I suppose I could start planning it myself. Maybe I will!

A friend who lives there recommended visiting Hakone or ShuzenjI for a ryokan.

Another friend recommended the Studio Ghibli Museum.

I'd also like to see the deer in Nara, check out some cool historic sites and gardens and explore parts of Tokyo like Akihabara and Shibuya.

Some people have traveled quite a bit and are even more clueless than you are!

It's a good start!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan is easy mode, you won't have any real problems.

Those vending machine ordering systems look intimidating though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Those vending machine ordering systems look intimidating though.

Menu reading is the only difficult thing, fair. But there's good picture translating apps and also just push a random button or two, have an adventure!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you're having trouble hammering out an itinerary, I suggest the Lonely Planet books - they have suggested itineraries and self-guided walking tours in them. Worked for me!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I've been looking at the Asia travel bug website and it's been helping me out a lot! It's given me a good idea about hotel locations and prices. For Tokyo, I'm leaning towards staying in Shinjuku for convenience, or Asakusa for lower cost. A friend who'd like to travel with us doesn't have a ton of money, so we want to be able to share a room with her to keep costs down. She has taken Japanese language classes too, so it would be great to have her along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to be cheap, try ikebukuro, Ueno, or some Airbnb.

Think Airbnb will be the cheapest on average, location wise you might need to walk a bit but you should be fine.