Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You jest in the end about some one running out with some surface-to-air missile but let's remember that the darkness has already brought down one police chopper and has a penchant for throwing around cars and trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Barry's "flaming eye of Mordor" is what finally cinched it for me that he is the best character in the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That wagon at 24:08, you stepped on it briefly and it kept moving. Can you make Alan Wake ride a red wagon?

Also I hope you go back and show all of Barry calling the townsfolk

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Palling around with Christmas Tree Light Barry in the town at night was one of my favourite parts of the game, though I'd forgotten that you spend more of it with Sheriff Wheeler. Maybe that changes in the next bit; can't remember. It's been a while.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This was a fun episode and Barry is just so endearing in that sort of way like he's your best buddy and you just wanna punch him a little bit in the face but you love him way too​much to do that so you at least settle for calling him a bastard.

Maybe I identify with Alan too much.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Ahahaha the Christmas lights! :allears:

The C stands for Klinge, which is what Thomas Zane will do to you if you're especially bad.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I like that you use a simile to compare a metaphor to a simile. Your writing still pales in comparison to Alan Awakes, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Can you ever play as Barry?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally, the Barry episode.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

man I spent all my orbs trying to pull a Christmas Barry but no luck

got like five Taken Carl Stucky's now, none of them higher than three stars

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I was looking at Alan Wake cosplays.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

You know, seeing Barry wrapped in Christmas lights made me think of a neat weapon idea. Braid a couple feet of the stuff and make a christmas light whip.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

So I was looking at Alan Wake cosplays.

Not enough jackets but still amazing.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Combat Lobster posted:

You know, seeing Barry wrapped in Christmas lights made me think of a neat weapon idea. Braid a couple feet of the stuff and make a christmas light whip.

Better yet, tie two Barrys together with christmas lights and make barrychucks.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
You know Barry stole that idea from The Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black, right?

Edit: And you KNOW in his head he's imagining he looks and acts just as badass as Vin Diesel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what you're supposed to do is take that inevitable wadded up ball of christmas lights that's shoved into the attic and use it like a flail

also barry is really good. i've said it before and i'll say it again. if he was just some generic rear end in a top hat agent guy he probably would have been killed off like 2-3 videos ago as it is

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Skippy Granola posted:

Better yet, tie two Barrys together with christmas lights and make barrychucks.

Make that a Barry/Alan promo cardboard cutout nunchuck and you have yourself a deal.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
DirtbagAmosGundersonTheBanditJacobs

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Alan always microwaves his meals thoroughly. He doesn't wait the one minute for it to cool, though.

Barry is the best. I'd love a spin-off with Barry fighting the darkness, where he doesn't actually fight because the darkness stumbles like a stooge to it's own demise every time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Mr. Highway posted:

Barry is the best. I'd love a spin-off with Barry fighting the darkness, where he doesn't actually fight because the darkness stumbles like a stooge to it's own demise every time.
And it farts as it's falling off the cliff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Here is me walking on Barry, who is moving around as well, knocking me off in an instant. I am prevented from walking on the Sheriff later on, due to building design.

A weird place to put grass and earth, since it is entirely water.

Along the way, there is a fallen power pole that will kill you after enough time. You can walk through it and on top of it, to ignore the shock.

Kibayasu posted:

That wagon at 24:08, you stepped on it briefly and it kept moving. Can you make Alan Wake ride a red wagon?

Also I hope you go back and show all of Barry calling the townsfolk

That one object has a unique and weird collision detection. You can ride the thing a bit, but it embeds itself into the ground.

If you last long enough, that tower defense segment starts spawning bosses behind you at fixed intervals and he will likely kill you in a three hit combo before you notice.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 25, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Interesting stuff as ever, Scalding Coffee! I do so enjoy reading posts about The Science of Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb90Lizxts&t=991s

I've decided to start speed running The Surge because it is a fantastic game and is a blast to play through real quick. Here is the video archive of my first official run's stream, in case you'd like to watch me go real fast. Went very very well, lots of room for improvement but I'm definitely happy for this as my first 'official' attempt.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 9, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

Interesting stuff as ever, Scalding Coffee! I do so enjoy reading posts about The Science of Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghb90Lizxts&t=991s

I've decided to start speed running The Surge because it is a fantastic game and is a blast to play through real quick. Here is the video archive of my first official run's stream, in case you'd like to watch me go real fast. Went very very well, lots of room for improvement but I'm definitely happy for this as my first 'official' attempt.

Aside from a few hiccups towards the end, you did real well, under 3 hours for the whole game and there's a lot of stuff to shave off even that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am streaming Immortal Redneck totally blind because it looks really fun! For those that haven't seen it, it's kinda like Ziggurat, but in pyramids and with immortal rednecks. Let's party!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

When the loving letters fade, it's like moving in slow motion.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CJacobs posted:

On your criticisms of Cynthia's behavior requiring her to be changing lightbulbs constantly - that's exactly what she's been doing. That's why she's so paranoid and frustrated, in the diner making sure all the bulbs were in working order, she's been doing the whole town, the water pipe and maintaining her "Well Lit room" for literal decades. The contrived nature of her isn't Alan's fault - she existed long before he arrived in town, all he did was put her in his story. In the lodge and with the Old Gods, people have been singing and drawing about the Dark Presence and giving it power for generations, Alan's probably not the first novelist that it's ensnared, given Thomas Zane. (I believe that this has all been brought up by the game so far, if I'm getting ahead let me know)

Also, Cynthia would only be Crazy if the Dark Presence wasn't a real thing - it is a real thing, and she can taken sensible precautions to fight it given it's properties. I'd say she's more impressive than nuts. Also she probably set a lot of the infrastructure around the plant when she was younger. All she had to do since then was change bulbs.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 30, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're not getting too far ahead. I guess our point was not necessarily that her actions themselves are contrived, it's that it is a very convenient "out" for the plot to be given in order to continue. It doesn't come out of nowhere or anything like that, Weaver and her dutiful light bulb changing have been in the background for the whole game so far. What I (and I assume Skippy) find to be a bit lame is that the one thing that could possibly beat the darkness without Alan's writer-ly help is a person or group that goes around making sure absolutely everything is lit so that it can't crop up and start wreaking havoc. And hey what do you know, such a person is doing exactly that. How convenient!

It's not really that big a deal, just feels a bit lazy, a case of Cynthia Ex Machina.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
On a side note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrOGMwDJH4 Let's take a look at what could have been! I'm guessing that this was the video you were going to use back when you were originally going to go for a "found footage" narrative LP?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BTW Jacobs, they couldn't have had that mid-boss you were talking about in the game. It would have been a bridge too far.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Cador_2004 posted:

[CJacobs' Mtv Cribs audition tape]

I don't remember seeing this episode of Night Springs. Also, you couldn't go the extra extra mile and cover those tapes in dust or something to make them look old? Those suckers look brand spanking new.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The twist was gonna be that they were new. :ssh:

Maybe I'll write about what I had planned because it was a pretty fun little thing. That tapes video was recorded in like... August of 2015, by the way.

edit: Also, it's fun to pause the video at random spots to see just how much loving furniture my grandparents have in their house. There is SO MUCH furniture that is never sat in by any guests, it's almost sad. Does anyone want a chair? There are like 50 of them here

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 30, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

lol

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

CJacobs posted:

Just...just take your loving patreon money CJacobs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Even old ladies are not immune to Alan Wake. Also, the flashlight icon is partially blocking a part of the UI. The icon on the right, under the gun, is also suspect. Bad design.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 30, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015
A rotating bridge might be for taller but narrower boats, while the drawbridge is for shorter, wider ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ReturnOfFable posted:

Just...just take your loving patreon money CJacobs.

He works hard for the money! So hard for it, honey!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

OH MY GOD

I screamed at my laptop and had to try and lie to my room mate why I made dinosaur noises. jesus christ the bubsy parts and the fucing max payne parts and the loving special effects jesus christ

I don't know what we ever did to deserve CJacobs, but I'm glad we did it because you are loving amazing

also gently caress YOU SKIPP THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL THAT WAS ART. I can't believe CJacobs modded Max Payne to recreate the hypothetical conversation between Payne and Wake, as mentioned seven years ago in the first episode. Amazing.

edit:
what does that say "episode 5, part 500 - let's play alan wake "

Jesus christ how long has this LP being going on?

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 31, 2017

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

value-brand cereal posted:

edit:
why does that say "episode 5, part 500 - let's play alan wake "

Jesus christ how long has this LP being going on?

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012

White Coke posted:

A rotating bridge might be for taller but narrower boats, while the drawbridge is for shorter, wider ones.

To my knowledge, we mostly used swing bridges (the rotating kind) over drawbridges here on the west coast because swing bridges can be used for spanning wider gaps without much difficulty, and I believe the engineering design calculations are somewhat simpler for swing-spans than draw-spans.

The Southern Pacific Railroad for example preferred the use of swing spans when movable spans were required, and they are all over the place for the rail lines in the sloughs around the SF Bay Area where I am. I figure the SP and other railroads used them up and down the coast making them a somewhat common feature in the Pacific Northwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That sure was a musical interlude, man.

Started getting really trippy towards the end, though, man

Alan, I know you're in Washington, but that doesn't mean you have to toke that much :350:

• Locked thread