Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gustav posted:

Trump said lots and lots of nice things on the campaign trail. He said bad things too, but lots of very nice things.

He was in favor of affordable healthcare for everyone. Remember that?
He promised no cuts to Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid.
He wanted to initiate major spending on rebuilding the country's infrastructure
He was going to drain the swamp of corruption, kick out all the wall street insiders and lobbyist.

How can you call yourself a leftist, a progressive, and not get behind someone like that?

Because it was obvious to anyone with half a brain that he was lying, just like Zuckerberg

Massive spending on infrastructure is one promise I don't expect Trump to break. Like, at all. It'd be a perfect opportunity to launch grand, self-promoting projects and direct wads of cash towards friendly organizations and donors. Trump is a real estate developer. Literally the one specific thing he has experience and qualifications for.

E: belated dogge

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Massive spending on infrastructure is one promise I don't expect Trump to break. Like, at all. It'd be a perfect opportunity to launch grand, self-promoting projects and direct wads of cash towards friendly organizations and donors. Trump is a real estate developer. Literally the one specific thing he has experience and qualifications for.

He won't do that with the republican congress though. They're not going to okay anything.

Maybe when the Dems retake in 2018; by that point he'll be desperate to sign something and have a ceremony.

Or he'll reflexively veto everything because its by the democrats.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

The United States is not at war with the Syrian government?

In that case, Turkey declared war and the US assisted alongside France.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's already broken it and is doing the opposite, selling of public lands.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

quote:

• destroying property not required by military necessity;
Pretty sure America does that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You've fallen into one of his con traps.

Infrastructure spending means selling off public infrastructure for development by private jackasses. The 'investments' come from tax cuts to develop the land instead of actually spending anything.

So basically toll roads and for profit everything.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
In TrumpLand, it's not the heinous policies and unhinged Twitter rants that are the problem, it's just how they're communicated.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I got a hospital in Afghanistan (a humanitarian-operated hospital in Afghanistan, no less) to remind you of.

Also you're not adressing the rest of the points.

You're a joke.

What part of object of attack is especially confusing to you? You do understand that the whole loving point of a war crime is it has to be intentional, not an error, right?

As for the rest of your points, self righteous wanking about not closing Gitmo in spite of Congress rendering that impossible. Yeah, you sure aren't devaluing the loving atrocities up there by trying to prove he's technically committed something that if you drink heavily, almost sounds like a war crime. Gotta make sure we all know that Obama really is just as bad as Hitler.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tarantula posted:

Pretty sure America does that.

Those last two words are kind of important. This is talking about blowing up the goddamn Louvre, or ISIS destroying ancient sites, just because they can. It is not about forcing soldiers to say "uh oh, he went inside a building. Well, guess we need to give up."

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 30, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who is Michael Dubke and what does matter that he quits?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Director of communications.

It's a pretty substantial position, and he was almost certainly ordered to "submit his resignation."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GOOCHY posted:

In TrumpLand, it's not the heinous policies and unhinged Twitter rants that are the problem, it's just how they're communicated.

That's been the GOP guiding principle since 2009.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The White House Communications Director is basically responsible for crafting the messaging surrounding the agenda of the administration (together with other members of a president's close staff) and for ensuring that that message is communicated in a way that is both clear to the public and politically beneficial to the President.

Can't say specifically anything about Michael Dubke, but that's what the job is supposed to do. If Trump really wanted to go all-in on being a fascist, he'd appoint some Josef Goebbels type, as that's what the position could devolve into pretty easily.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

What part of object of attack is especially confusing to you? You do understand that the whole loving point of a war crime is it has to be intentional, not an error, right?

As for the rest of your points, self righteous wanking about not closing Gitmo in spite of Congress rendering that impossible. Yeah, you sure aren't devaluing the loving atrocities up there by trying to prove he's technically committed something that if you drink heavily, almost sounds like a war crime. Gotta make sure we all know that Obama really is just as bad as Hitler.

Look at this post.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Look at this post.

Right, its me trying to explain nuance to a smug dumbass.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's already broken it and is doing the opposite, selling of public lands.

Yeah, like...if you expect him to actually build rather than loot and put his name on it, I dunno what you're thinking.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

Right, its me trying to explain nuance to a smug dumbass.

It's you engaging in desperate apologia for war crimes committed by the Obama administration on the tune of "oh it's not that bad", "no but there's worse elsewhere" and "well you can't call us Hitler."

It's classic D&D.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, if there's anything the people in Europe want it's Germany with a large military

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, if there's anything the people in Europe want it's Germany with a large military

I mean, as much as it pains me to say it, he's not wrong in that regard. The German military is an absolute joke.

A year or two ago there was a big to-do when one of the major news magazines did a report on how few Tornado fighter-bombers the German air force has that are actually able to fly, versus those that have just been completely neglected or just outright broken. Germany also spends around 1.2% of its GDP on defense, when the NATO guideline is explicitly 2%.

Of course, that's also a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way away from his claiming that Germany "owes" (that's not how the alliance works) and his temper tantrums about it are ultimately going to mean the end of NATO.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

I mean, as much as it pains me to say it, he's not wrong in that regard. The German military is an absolute joke.

A year or two ago there was a big to-do when one of the major news magazines did a report on how few Tornado fighter-bombers the German air force has that are actually able to fly, versus those that have just been completely neglected or just outright broken. Germany also spends around 1.2% of its GDP on defense, when the NATO guideline is explicitly 2%.

Of course, that's also a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way away from his claiming that Germany "owes" (that's not how the alliance works) and his temper tantrums about it are ultimately going to mean the end of NATO.

I think that's a good thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustached Demon posted:

I think that's a good thing.

The death of NATO, or not spending money on militaries?

Ideologically one of these is good, the other one is extremely dumb. Da, tovarisch?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

E: belated dogge

Yes, but unlike the business market, when he demands to build doesn't mean people go build. He has to get that poo poo past the Senate and Congress who are more likely to poo poo on it because *no immediate effect on pockets*

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

The death of NATO, or not spending money on militaries?

Ideologically one of these is good, the other one is extremely dumb. Da, tovarisch?

One where a strong NATO prevents a strong German military.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well, when NATO ends the German government will finally be forced to spend more on their military.

SocketWrench posted:

Make the Fatherland great again.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustached Demon posted:

One where a strong NATO prevents a strong German military.

To keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down? :v:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's you engaging in desperate apologia for war crimes committed by the Obama administration on the tune of "oh it's not that bad", "no but there's worse elsewhere" and "well you can't call us Hitler."

It's classic D&D.

And you are engaging in desperate Rallian "Obama? You mean THE NEW HITLER!" "...Drones?" bullshit because you cannot get it through your thick skull that war crimes are very very very bad things that are treated seriously and not something that you just apply based off of if you want to feel smug and can torture logic enough to misunderstand the criteria. Its classic dumbfuck leftist.

Its amazing how you don't need to misunderstand everything about the sentence or completely divorce it from all meaning to understand Bush's war crime. It forbids torture. He engaged in torture. Very open and shut.

Meanwhile, to justify calling Obama a war criminal, you need to somehow call targetted precision drone strikes indiscriminate attack. I.e. loving carpet bombing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When America pulls out will it be NEATO?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Al Borland Corp. posted:

When America pulls out will it be NEATO?

Holy gently caress username + pun combo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Toby Ziegler

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The mastermind behind the Trump team's media efforts. Maybe pushes Spicer closer to a stroke if he has to fill both positions again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
We're getting a press briefing from Spicer today at 2 PM, the first one in over two weeks, so there's that to look forward to!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drone posted:

To keep the Americans in, the Russians out, and the Germans down? :v:

Actual yeah I think that was the purpose of NATO.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

You're the only one dragging Hitler into this, Fulchrum.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Not only am I back at work, but Trump is still President.

God, what a week.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Drone posted:

Upkeeping your military is one thing. Growing it into some effective powerhouse on it's own like Trump implies is another. And I'm sure Europe (including Germany) has an ongoing stigma when it comes to Germany with a large military.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mustached Demon posted:

Actual yeah I think that was the purpose of NATO.

:thejoke:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm sure Russia will love Germany re-militarizing.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fulchrum posted:

And you are engaging in desperate Rallian "Obama? You mean THE NEW HITLER!" "...Drones?" bullshit because you cannot get it through your thick skull that war crimes are very very very bad things that are treated seriously and not something that you just apply based off of if you want to feel smug and can torture logic enough to misunderstand the criteria. Its classic dumbfuck leftist.

Its amazing how you don't need to misunderstand everything about the sentence or completely divorce it from all meaning to understand Bush's war crime. It forbids torture. He engaged in torture. Very open and shut.

Meanwhile, to justify calling Obama a war criminal, you need to somehow call targetted precision drone strikes indiscriminate attack. I.e. loving carpet bombing.

You know you're arguing with someone that likely voted Johnson to be an edgelord, if they're even old enough to vote at all

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

You're the only one dragging Hitler into this, Fulchrum.

No, invoking war crimes is dragging Hitler into this, since that's the level you are claiming Obama is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Plus there are Nazis in the Bundeswehr https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/09/the-german-military-has-a-nazi-problem/

LOL we're all gonna die very soon

• Locked thread