Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It didn't look like you did, it confused me how that happened, given it looked like you went down pretty flat. Sucks dude :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Darlok posted:

So... I lost my fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zE6-5TsAdY starts a like 2:50 in.

Doesn't feel like there's much to learn from this one except 1) try not to get slammed and 2) i'm gonna be fuckin great at typing only with my left hand soon.

Holy poo poo that's rough. Hope you heal up solid. Man, that was gruesome as gently caress.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Kekekela posted:

I still haven't watched it tho cus I'm a complete wus.
Me too, but I manned the gently caress up and :cry:.

The Darlok posted:

Yes and no. I'm pretty sure I never posted, as far as I can tell he just threw me down at the perfect angle.
I agree, didn't look like you did, and I respect the fact you tried to roll into guard after the slam. Nice overhand right (part of your game plan) and jab as well. Respect to your opponent for slipping your second jab and going in for the takedown. But mad respect to you for stepping in to the ring - if the injury didn't happen I'm sure everyone would have loved to see the fight go the distance. :hfive:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

It didn't look like you did, it confused me how that happened, given it looked like you went down pretty flat. Sucks dude :/

I had to give it a second watch as well.

Good luck with your recovery, broken bones suck! :(

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Guys that have watched footage from the other corner say it happens when darlok posts to turtle up, not during the slam

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Guys that have watched footage from the other corner say it happens when darlok posts to turtle up, not during the slam

Oh really? Haven't seen that myself. I would imagine it had to already have fractured quite badly at that point for that happen...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Martial Arts Thread: They Called Me Mr. Glass

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Brutal break glad you're in good spirits about it. The only thing I can think of is that the angle your arm landed at plus the force of the slam and his arms driving into your forearm caused the break.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

That looks awful and my advice is don't give up your back like that just to go for the kimura. Hope you recover soon.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Oh really? Haven't seen that myself. I would imagine it had to already have fractured quite badly at that point for that happen...

Again, I'm not watching it :barf: but I guess that's just when it became visible, his knee apparently rolls into it and its pretty easy to see from the angle they have from what I was told. I'll message you some names.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2017

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

VulgarandStupid posted:

That looks awful and my advice is don't give up your back like that just to go for the kimura. Hope you recover soon.

No disagreement here. In the heat of the moment I had thought he was already deeper in on the shot and kinda resigned myself to countering rather than stuffing it/keeping my back. It was a mistake... although if my arm didn't break it would've been nice to see who the better grappler was.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm in awe of fighting twice in a month in any event.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 11, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Had a revelation while sparring one of our long-time Muay Thai guys tonight. He's a few inches taller than me and has very long arms, so I'm always trying to get in to land punches.

His Muay Thai "fence" is really good, and I figured out how it can be used in this scenario, where the shorter smaller guy is trying to get inside.

Teeps and leg checks cover kicks below the waist. And when I try to dip under his punches, he lowers his outstretched lead hand and stiffarms my forehead.
If I keep my head level, I just get stopped in place.
If I try to dip lower to get under the stiffarm, I'll get guided into a knee, or deliver myself into a plum clinch.

I couldn't punch over him cuz of the height difference, so I only had coming in or stepping to the outside. He started reading the come-in, and once when I committed really hard to dipping in and ran into his pre-teep knee, which he only had to push a few inches to put it on my cheekbone.

The best answer I had for the stiff arm was using my lead (I'm southpaw) to shuck off the stiffarm right away and to try an overhand.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Having someone roll with you who is blind and gives you pointers on your game, is pretty enlightening. This morning I got to do just that and its pretty amazing how they have so much better an innate ability to pick up on mistakes you are making with feet, body and head placement.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
Obligatory got my purple belt tonight post. Started training almost 7 years ago and it's been a long grind. Thought I'd be further by now but can only keep going. Sucks too cause I can't roll for 10 more weeks cause of the broken arm but I can't say I'm not happy to get the belt.

Kekekela posted:

I'm in awe of fighting twice in a month in any event.

Thanks man - you been training at PH recently? I'm going to try to get back to classes soon just to rep stuff that doesn't require usage of my arm.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Darlok posted:

Obligatory got my purple belt tonight post. Started training almost 7 years ago and it's been a long grind. Thought I'd be further by now but can only keep going. Sucks too cause I can't roll for 10 more weeks cause of the broken arm but I can't say I'm not happy to get the belt.

Thanks man - you been training at PH recently? I'm going to try to get back to classes soon just to rep stuff that doesn't require usage of my arm.

Congratulations on the belt :)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Mostly North lately but I'm hoping to get back over there soon. Congrats on the purple belt!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congratulations on the promotion to purple. I feel like purple belt is the first level of real competency at BJJ.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As a blue i agree lol. Congrats dude

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I sparred for the first time this morning since I sprained my rib and then almost broke my wrist when I got it caught in a roll and didnt get it out fast enough.

:ughh:

The Darlok posted:

Congrats!!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Congrats!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looking for some feedback on rib injuries. Mashed mine good 2.5 weeks back in dirt jump gone wrong and was wondering what people's experiences with healing times have been? I'm supposed to attend a training camp this weekend (mostly as a referee) but wanted to practice too.
I can do deep breaths without pain, but lifting/sneezing still hurts.
I think they're just sprained rather than broken, so I'm inclined to 'risk it' at the weekend.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Looking for some feedback on rib injuries. Mashed mine good 2.5 weeks back in dirt jump gone wrong and was wondering what people's experiences with healing times have been? I'm supposed to attend a training camp this weekend (mostly as a referee) but wanted to practice too.
I can do deep breaths without pain, but lifting/sneezing still hurts.
I think they're just sprained rather than broken, so I'm inclined to 'risk it' at the weekend.

MAYBE light drilling with a partner whose very clear on your injury but I wouldn't even think about rolling. Even be careful with torso twisting/bending while drilling. You're in the prime time slot to re-injure yourself even worse, stick to drills where you're on top if you really can't help yourself

E: I think the general rule with rib injuries is 6-8 weeks if it's not a major break

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 20, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is for kendo, so 'rolling' wont be a problem.
I think I'll go to the beginners practice on Thursday, shout a bit a bit at them, join some of the drills and see how it goes.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is for kendo, so 'rolling' wont be a problem.
I think I'll go to the beginners practice on Thursday, shout a bit a bit at them, join some of the drills and see how it goes.

oh my bad, yeah I don't know poo poo about kendo, try to refrain from forceful torso twisting I guess

e: got this thread confused with the grappling thread

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Lifting the shinai overhead might be a problem. Plus kendo requires a pretty stabilized core for movement. So not as bad a BJJ or judo but still keep it light and brief because it's too easy to reinjure and then you're out again.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mine happened a little over a month ago and I am just getting back into doing some drilling and light rolling. Typical sprain heal time is 12 weeks to completion if the cartilage has completely torn (as was my case).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Today has been pretty much pain-free, Gotta help the wife tonight moving some equipment in her studio, so that will be a good test.
Now I just need to catch up with a 4 week fitness loss in 3 days (I didn't practice the week before I smashed it).

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
This is a long shot but does anybody know anything about judo or bjj clubs in Reykjavik? Will be traveling there and think it'd be neat to practice with the locals. Unfortunately online information seems a little sparse.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Mjolnir is pretty famous, that's where Gunnar Nelson's from.

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007

ihop posted:

This is a long shot but does anybody know anything about judo or bjj clubs in Reykjavik? Will be traveling there and think it'd be neat to practice with the locals. Unfortunately online information seems a little sparse.

You can check out Mjölnir for bjj, when I used to go they had open mats on saturdays and classes pretty much every day. Send them an email and see what they can do for you, the front office is really accommodating for people visiting. I'd say it's your best bet as they're used to international visitors, they're even hosting a few pro fighters that are fighting on upcoming Invicta and UFC cards. Mjölnir is the most successful bjj school in Iceland, usually dominating local tournaments and sending competitors to competitions abroad.

The judo scene in Iceland is decent. The Reykjavík judo club has an active facebook site, you can send them a message and see what they can do for you.

If you're driving you could also go to VBC in Kópavogur, I have a few friends that attend there and only have good things to say about it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I got choked the poo poo out of today in class and I can barely swallow.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Rinar posted:

You can check out Mjölnir for bjj, when I used to go they had open mats on saturdays and classes pretty much every day. Send them an email and see what they can do for you, the front office is really accommodating for people visiting. I'd say it's your best bet as they're used to international visitors, they're even hosting a few pro fighters that are fighting on upcoming Invicta and UFC cards. Mjölnir is the most successful bjj school in Iceland, usually dominating local tournaments and sending competitors to competitions abroad.

The judo scene in Iceland is decent. The Reykjavík judo club has an active facebook site, you can send them a message and see what they can do for you.

If you're driving you could also go to VBC in Kópavogur, I have a few friends that attend there and only have good things to say about it.

This is awesome info, thank you, and also the guy whose username is numbers.

^^ Guy above, brutal windpipe chokes can definitely damage the cartilage in the throat or even fracture the free-floating hyoid bone (a common sign of murder by strangulation.)

I don't think there's much you can do, it's going to hurt for a couple days. Ibuprofen might help, as may ice packs applied to the throat.

Preventing these isn't always possible if your partner lacks restraint. This type of injury is why I tap early to chokes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Today has been pretty much pain-free, Gotta help the wife tonight moving some equipment in her studio, so that will be a good test.
Now I just need to catch up with a 4 week fitness loss in 3 days (I didn't practice the week before I smashed it).

So, that was probably a week to early. Didn't do any new damage, but it wasn't fun!!.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

spiralbrain posted:

I got choked the poo poo out of today in class and I can barely swallow.

You might sound like Tom Waits for a week or two.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Get in the recording booth asap

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any goons train at Roufussport?

We had a theft at our gym recently - a bunch of brand new striking equipment got lifted, but the real kick in the teeth was that the head coach's old school shin guards were taken too. They had a ton of sentimental value because they were a gift from Duke Roufus who knows how long ago under circumstances that are unclear to me. I had the idea that a personalized autographed picture to go up on the gym wall could be a good replacement and make a good gift, so I'm tossing out a feeler.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I've been looking at getting into martial arts for a while and I have some karate questions. I know kyokushin is the "legit fighting" version, but I work relatively close to the head dojo for Seido karate. Most of the Kyokushin dojos are either far away or have only two sessions a day three times a week, but Seido has classes from 7am to 8pm (I work and go to grad school so flexable timing would be very important to me). How much am I losing out if I do Seido instead of Kyokushin? I understand that I won't get even close to the fighting experience necessary to actually be competent in a real fight for a long time, but otherwise how different is it?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm not familiar with Seido karate but I watched a few youtube videos and saw a lot of pulled punches in their competitions. So, idk might be a good workout might be a lot of standing around and miming but probably won't be good for learning to actually apply techniques on resisting opponents. Maybe other people with more karate knowledge can jump in.

Could always check out the gym and see what you think, or report back to the thread and we can give soem context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yawgmoft posted:

I've been looking at getting into martial arts for a while and I have some karate questions. I know kyokushin is the "legit fighting" version, but I work relatively close to the head dojo for Seido karate. Most of the Kyokushin dojos are either far away or have only two sessions a day three times a week, but Seido has classes from 7am to 8pm (I work and go to grad school so flexable timing would be very important to me). How much am I losing out if I do Seido instead of Kyokushin? I understand that I won't get even close to the fighting experience necessary to actually be competent in a real fight for a long time, but otherwise how different is it?

I would say look into Muay Thai or boxing instead, I started splitting my time between the two last September and have fully embraced Muay Thai as my punchsport of choice at this point. Your fitness will skyrocket within two months and you have a practical self defense art. Also, the tiny brightly coloured shorts are awesome.

N.B. I was out for pride last weekend and saw a twink wearing muay thai shorts in the club, thats how sexy they are (I don't think he trained.)