Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

iajanus posted:

For the record I'm still trying to get into this expansion

People who tell you it's better than Shovel or Plague are lying. He's awkward to control, his attacks don't go where you would want them to, but most egregiously it's just the same levels repeated, same music too.

Spectre had much more satisfying movement as well as new levels and music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I don't get why people are so loving scared of arms being bad that someone who says it's bad is automatically a troll.

"Nintendo cannot fail, it can only be failed."

BotW is alright, by the way. It's sure as poo poo no nine or ten out of ten, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I don't get why people are so loving scared of arms being bad that someone who says it's bad is automatically a troll.
That's not why people are calling him a troll, just FYI

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mister Facetious posted:

"Nintendo cannot fail, it can only be failed."

BotW is alright, by the way. It's sure as poo poo no nine or ten out of ten, though.

I think BotW depends a lot on the player being a certain type of person. I still get easily captivated by open worlds like that. All the games that I play like, exclusively for almost a month straight are pretty much like that: mostly self-directed, exploratory experiences.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Dizz posted:

Tanks do not have lips or mouths and thus cannot smooch.

Just copy what Minecraft animals do and sort of bonk them together and then a smaller thing pops out, aww.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
hot take: ARMS will be liked by people who like ARMS and disliked by people who don't like ARMS.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

more people who don't even own a Switch should complain about ARMS imo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kashuno posted:

hot take: ARMS will be liked by people who like ARMS and disliked by people who don't like ARMS.

:prepop:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I think BotW depends a lot on the player being a certain type of person. I still get easily captivated by open worlds like that. All the games that I play like, exclusively for almost a month straight are pretty much like that: mostly self-directed, exploratory experiences.

It's highly repetitive, with copy and paste monster outposts, copy and paste Korok puzzles, copy and paste shrines, and there's only one dungeon in the game; Hyrule castle. Calling the Divine Beasts "dungeons" is loving laughable; they're double length shrines at best. It's a good thing the combat and characters are interesting, or it'd just be Far Cry: Fantasy.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I did try the ARMS test punch again using the Pro controller and it was a million times better. I won't go as far to say I think ARMS will be a runaway success because I think it still has some issues (The 3 player free for all is the loving worst and I can't believe it made it past testing. I had a match where 2 people had the same character so they both beat the poo poo out of me in some sort of unity) but I was actually able to win matches and had some fun using the Pro Controller where buttons actually responded right and wasn't a gigantic piece of poo poo like motion controls. Seriously turn motion controls off, they suck dick.

I was on the fence but I think I'm going to keep my pre-order since I get 20% off so it's cheaper to buy it at launch for me and I definitely think that me and my friend will get some mileage out of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FE Warriors having the weapon triangle sounds cool, but the potential roster being based around Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates sounds worrying.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

FE Warriors having the weapon triangle sounds cool, but the potential roster being based around Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates sounds worrying.

Sad, but not really surprising. They tend to avoid the games from before the series took off in the West.

quote:

The reason all the protagonists from the Fire Emblem games are not being included is because if they did that, everyone would be using a sword.

:laffo:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

It's highly repetitive, with copy and paste monster outposts, copy and paste Korok puzzles, copy and paste shrines, and there's only one dungeon in the game; Hyrule castle. Calling the Divine Beasts "dungeons" is loving laughable; they're double length shrines at best. It's a good thing the combat and characters are interesting, or it'd just be Far Cry: Fantasy.

It still captivated me despite thus for 130 hours, but I hope in a sequel they vary the content assets more.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rethink your life choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nT3A8aNwy8
Lost Sphear looks neat.

This is extremely my poo poo, early 2018 release not so much

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kashuno posted:

Sad, but not really surprising. They tend to avoid the games from before the series took off in the West.

:laffo:

They all do use a sword though

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Decided to read the thread for the first time in months

Pretty cool to learn that Zelda is not good, and is actually total poo poo, thanks thread

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:tipshat:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Nintendo Switch Entertainment System only has ONE (1) Good Game: Neo Turf Masters

Just kidding, there's actually a number of good and fun games on this dead console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-05-30-whats-keeping-nintendo-from-making-a-new-advance-wars

IS discusses what's holding a new Advance Wars back from getting made.

Here's my solution: let tanks smooch.

So otakus are asking if love can bloom on a battlefield? :v:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm loving BotW and I think it's fantastic, but it's in no way a perfect 10. There are a bunch of little things that have me shaking my head from time to time and for that reason it's not perfect. To me.

(yeah I know 10/10 isn't "perfect" according to some game journalists but 10/10 = 100% = perfect)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
After playing 80 hours of Zelda I came to the conclusion

all those hours were actually not well spent because the game actually ends. Meh, more like 8/10, not goty.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I will shake that heavens with my anger if ike isn't in this

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=w_gh_el_3

Can anyone tell me if this is a good power bank for the switch?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Frankston posted:

(yeah I know 10/10 isn't "perfect" according to some game journalists but 10/10 = 100% = perfect)

There's always an aspect of a game or movie that could have been executed in an arguably better way, that's why calling a 10/10 "perfect" is dumb.

Death to review scores

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-05-30-whats-keeping-nintendo-from-making-a-new-advance-wars

IS discusses what's holding a new Advance Wars back from getting made.

Here's my solution: let tanks smooch.

what if

what if

what if advance wars doesn't have to be a sprite swapped fire emblem

Radical thinking I know

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If they released a new Wars game it would not be called Advance Wars because it's not on the GameBoy Advance

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
War...War never Switches

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

If they released a new Wars game it would not be called Advance Wars because it's not on the GameBoy Advance

:wrong:

The last two games came out on the DS.

Kashuno posted:

War...War never Switches

Unless you Switch sides! :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was not in Game Boy Advance

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

The last two games came out on the DS.
:negative:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The first DS game was subtitled Dual Strike though. They f-'d up with Days of Ruin.

They should just call it Switch Wars or something.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Please stop hurting my heart by bringing up dead franchises

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If they want to make an Advance Wars with romance-able characters, they can just make a Valkyria Chronicles knockoff.

At the very least it'll be better than VC2 by default :v:.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I got so infuriated at Advance Wars that I hurled the cartridge against the wall hard enough to break my savegame without damaging the actual game itself and I've never looked back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zelder posted:

I will shake that heavens with my anger if ike isn't in this

I saw Tecmo-Koei's quote about Fire Emblem Warriors roster having "more than the first entry of any other Musou series collaboration" and got curious about that fact, so I decided to take stock of the previous collaborations.

Arslan: 12
Attack on Titan: 10
Berserk: 8
Dragon Quest: 13
Fist of the North Star: 8
Gundam: 20*
One Piece: 13
Zelda: 16

I didn't include any DLC characters or weird aberrations like a future re-release getting a bonus character, just a straight Launch Day tally of who's available. Gundam is a little skewed because there are palette swap/duplicate mobile suits and would realistically be around 15.

Assuming that all the currently announced characters are playable, we have a 4 OCs, Marth, and Chrom so that's 6 off the bat and with the conservative matching of Zelda there's a minimum of 11 more potential slots. They've already talked about the weapon triangle and brought up mages/archers/pegasi so they must have a good number of non-Sword Lords planned, given that it sounds like DW8 weapon switching probably isn't in the cards (or why would the number of Sword Lords really be an issue if you could just slap a lance into Marth's hands). I'm not going to expect a Dynasty Warriors 9-sized roster (pegged at over 90 characters) but FE Warriors could probably fill out a game's roster just from Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates with maybe a few left fields picks on top.

Hyrule Warriors' roster is a real outlier for Warriors games because no entry prior or following it has had the level of DLC support it had and I'm just gonna go ahead and guess that in the vein of FE Heroes bilking people dry that Warriors is gonna slap a price tag on fan favorites. So what I'm saying is get your credit card out because you're gonna pay $7.99 for the Ike expansion (or $19.99 for Season Pass 1!).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought HW plus all DLC twice so :homebrew:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Macarius Wrench posted:

I got so infuriated at Advance Wars that I hurled the cartridge against the wall hard enough to break my savegame without damaging the actual game itself and I've never looked back.

I did this with Super Mario 3D Land once I got into the secret levels that combined Shadow Mario and the ghost levels with pitfalls all over the place. It's like the first time I've raged at anything since I was a little kid.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Kashuno posted:

huge if true

I tried the Arms motion control using the proxy trick, and the handheld controls are definitely easier to control. The motion controls were nice and responsive, though, and I can see them being a ton of fun for couch play. If you formed your opinion using the motion controls, I would definitely give handheld mode or the pro controller a shot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Advance Wars is dead but it's ok, WarGroove looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wargroove looks like Advance Wars married Fire Emblem.

• Locked thread