Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Any politician who uses far-right militias as security should be immediately removed from office, if not by their government, then by their constituents.

I'm mad and depressed now. Here's a cute dog for anyone feeling the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Not to out myself as an otherwise oblivious eater but those calorie counts actually affected what I ordered when I started seeing them at various restaurants and were really useful so gently caress Trump

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA just announced that it is cancelling the Obamacare regulation that required all restaurants with more than 25 locations to post their calorie content on their menu four days before the rule was supposed to go into effect.

A lot of places already started doing it in preparation, but now they won't have to when they update their menus.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/27/trump-restaurant-calorie-posting-rule-238873

Some guy did a video a while back where their isnt even a regulation on how accurate the calorie count needed to be. So he went around and found that like Starbucks muffins (i think it was SB) had almost double the calories that they had on their board

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869553853750013953

I wonder what Mitch McConnell thinks about that.

It's like he has no idea what's been going on the past 8 years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

Good thing these new Nazis are complete wimps.

They might get it for tax cuts but they'll never, ever get it for that abomination of a health care bill that the House just gave birth to.

Well they don't really even need 60 voted for either the tax cuts or health care...I'm not sure Trump knows that though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It doesn't really matter if the nazi security are wimps or not. The plan will be for those guys to start poo poo with protesters and then the police immediately come in to protect the security and somehow only the protesters are the ones facing punishment.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Well they don't really even need 60 voted for either the tax cuts or health care...I'm not sure Trump knows that though.

I know. My point was that while 51 votes for TAX CUTS are an easy get, that health care bill that the House sent them is DOA in the Senate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

I know. My point was that while 51 votes for TAX CUTS are an easy get, that health care bill that the House sent them is DOA in the Senate.

That specific bill is dead but I'm still very concerned that they will be able to pass something that is maybe 70% as bad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Good point well made, disengaging with dumbfuck now.

Just wanted to say that Flowers for Algeria is a real bad poster, and I'm actually glad you kept shutting her/him down so hard. That false equivalency bullshit is super frustrating, and s/he was very irriratingly smug without ever actually saying anything of consequence.

There are def. issues with things presidents have done, which I'm sure you recognize, but the right (and teenagers like Fliwers for Algeria) saying Obama is as bad and evil as 'insert actual brutal dictator here' directly lead to Trump, because people in the US were desensitized to it when the left actually started calling out real crimes.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lol I went to a meeting where new EPA Administrator Pruitt expressed his desire to move from a US "Energy renaissance" to a US "Energy dominance" so in this new world I guess we're grinding up liberals for extra energy

Edit: imagine morpheus holding up a battery but instead it's a jerrycan

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Blitz7x posted:

Lol I went to a meeting where new EPA Administrator Pruitt expressed his desire to move from a US "Energy renaissance" to a US "Energy dominance" so in this new world I guess we're grinding up liberals for extra energy

Edit: imagine morpheus holding up a battery but instead it's a jerrycan

As lovely as it is, at least we'll get to be in the inside of Mega City 1 instead of out in the Cursed Earth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869553853750013953

I wonder what Mitch McConnell thinks about that.

"if i had a sane majority in the House I'd do it in a second"

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I actually wonder if we're going to see a kind of civil war in Oath Keeper/III% world, like which ones are actually antigov and which are just authoritarian. Like that dude who wanted to arm BLM

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

joe football posted:

Not to out myself as an otherwise oblivious eater but those calorie counts actually affected what I ordered when I started seeing them at various restaurants and were really useful so gently caress Trump

I feel more comfortable eating at places that have calorie counts and am more likely to eat there than those that don't. I measure how many calories I eat roughly and decide what is and isn't a good tradeoff. I can easily avoid getting fat at fast food restaurants and from home cooking, but those sitdown places will getcha, even if they claim to be healthy. Don't know what you're getting, or how much of it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Apparently the sticking point most people are missing is that to pass tax cuts with reconciliation, they have to agree on a budget (because the budget is what contains reconciliation instructions that kicks off the process). It's not clear they can agree on a budget.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CyberPingu posted:

Some guy did a video a while back where their isnt even a regulation on how accurate the calorie count needed to be. So he went around and found that like Starbucks muffins (i think it was SB) had almost double the calories that they had on their board

Was it this one?. In that one the offending muffin was one that is pretty much omnipresent in bodegas around NYC. Consistency of the counts is a pretty big issue at restaurants but oddly enough the major fast food franchises tend to be the best and most accurate because their foods have the ingredient amounts controlled down to tenths of an oz because any extra mayo/flour/meat means less profit for them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sesq posted:

I feel more comfortable eating at places that have calorie counts and am more likely to eat there than those that don't. I measure how many calories I eat roughly and decide what is and isn't a good tradeoff. I can easily avoid getting fat at fast food restaurants and from home cooking, but those sitdown places will getcha, even if they claim to be healthy. Don't know what you're getting, or how much of it

Sit-down places are never good places to eat if you wanna be sure you're healthy.

It is not a surprise that companies lie their asses off about calorie counts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Honestly, kill the filibuster. Democratic legislation is a hell of a lot harder to undo and it'll make single payer and UBI that much easier to get done.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly, kill the filibuster. Democratic legislation is a hell of a lot harder to undo and it'll make single payer and UBI that much easier to get done.

Democrats should absolutely abolish the filibuster in 2020, but until then I'd rather not. The filibuster will likely prevent Republicans from gutting Dodd-Frank and some other terrible things they'd like to do but not as much as tax cuts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Apparently the sticking point most people are missing is that to pass tax cuts with reconciliation, they have to agree on a budget (because the budget is what contains reconciliation instructions that kicks off the process). It's not clear they can agree on a budget.

They can't do it when they do the next CR? I agree that they are never going to be able to agree on a budget.

TheScott2K posted:

This is why the republicans are going to do it. McConnell knows that. But it will be gone in 2020 anyway if the Dems control the government.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Most people who want to eat fast food aren't going to be turned totally off by the caloric labeling anyway and they know this. Someone might get chicken instead of a burger that's probably the extent of it, most will simply justify it to themselves.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shifty Pony posted:

Was it this one?. In that one the offending muffin was one that is pretty much omnipresent in bodegas around NYC. Consistency of the counts is a pretty big issue at restaurants but oddly enough the major fast food franchises tend to be the best and most accurate because their foods have the ingredient amounts controlled down to tenths of an oz because any extra mayo/flour/meat means less profit for them.

Ayep thats the one. It was more down to the "this isnt regulated therefore they can technically put anything up there" that was the issue

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I actually don't buy that the Senate dems would kill the legislative filibuster. They kinda need Team Rocket to break that seal for them.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

I didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was, but, uh...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

"People keep saying we're like the Nazis, so we're going to use violent, extremist members of our party as an independent security force, answerable to no one."

So are we officially in the middle of a coup, or do we have to wait until the camoshirts stomp someone to death for taking an "uppity" tone with a GOP congressperson?

Oh gently caress no.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

They can't do it when they do the next CR? I agree that they are never going to be able to agree on a budget.

From what I understand, no. The (original) point of reconciliation is to make it easier to pass the necessary legislation to implement the budget that's been agreed to. So the budget has to be passed and include the necessary reconciliation instructions to begin the process.

A budget is not law, it's essentially a nonbinding resolution that never even goes to the President. A CR is an appropriations bill that has to be signed by the President so I don't believe you can shovel a budget resolution into it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I actually don't buy that the Senate dems would kill the legislative filibuster. They kinda need Team Rocket to break that seal for them.

There is not going to be any patience for that among the base, especially after the Gorsuch coup and 4 year's of Trump. (Assuming elections go our way...)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Gimme shelter.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

Oh gently caress no.

Yep. Someone's going to die at a town hall, now. It's only a matter of time.

Likely one of ours, since the left, for the most part, is so monumentally stupid that people calling for violence, even in self-defense, are chided and disavowed.

War, children, it's just a shot away. :smith:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

They killed the judicial nominations filibuster and nobody even noticed. My biggest concern though is that if they win in 2020, they have a short window of opportunity and need to strike hard, fast. They don't have time to get fed up with the legislative filibuster like they did with the nomination filibuster. It's a moot point for two years, minimum, though. But in the leadup to 2020 people should be very sure that any Democratic Senate candidate is willing to abolish the filibuster if necessary.

mcmagic posted:

There is not going to be any patience for that among the base, especially after the Gorsuch coup and 4 year's of Trump. (Assuming elections go our way...)

My concern is there's going to be some oooooooold guys who have been around for 20-30 years who want to maintain ~tradition~ so there's going to need to be a decently sized majority to do it. My hope though is the imminent gutting of the blue slip tradition by Republicans will burn them hard enough they come to their senses.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

RE: caloriechat, that entire piece is based on bomb calorimetry which makes the entire loving thing pointless since the calorie count on boxed products is an approximation of the calories absorbed by the body.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

No it isn't you idiot. Military aggression has a different term applied to it. It is usually known as loving WAR!

:shrug: We charged people with warcrimes at Nuremburg for crimes against peace. Aggression isn't magically less of a war crime just because this time we're attacking Arabs instead of Europeans.

Also you know Obama's addiction to lighting up hospitals and cafes but eh

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flowers For Algeria posted:

It's you engaging in desperate apologia for war crimes committed by the Obama administration on the tune of "oh it's not that bad", "no but there's worse elsewhere" and "well you can't call us Hitler."

It's classic D&D.

He's right, though.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Btw who does Team Rocket refer to? McConnell and Ryan?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

They killed the judicial nominations filibuster and nobody even noticed. My biggest concern though is that if they win in 2020, they have a short window of opportunity and need to strike hard, fast. They don't have time to get fed up with the legislative filibuster like they did with the nomination filibuster. It's a moot point for two years, minimum, though. But in the leadup to 2020 people should be very sure that any Democratic Senate candidate is willing to abolish the filibuster if necessary.

My concern is there's going to be some oooooooold guys who have been around for 20-30 years who want to maintain ~tradition~ so there's going to need to be a decently sized majority to do it. My hope though is the imminent gutting of the blue slip tradition by Republicans will burn them hard enough they come to their senses.

I don't think anyway is going to talk about it before the 2020 election even if they are on board to kill it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yeah if the Democrats decide to not bust the filibuster and allow more Republican obstruction they will be crushed the next election. It's become clear that almost no one on either side outside of politicians and pundits give a rats rear end about political rules or decorum. It's about results and "well we couldn't do anything because of a Senate rule (that we could have changed if we wanted to)" didn't fly before and it won't fly again. Nuking the filibuster will be a headline for a day before people forget it ever mattered.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There Bias Two posted:

Oh gently caress no.

As terrible as cops can be, I'm pretty sure theyre not going to be ok with active militia groups causing their jurisdictions to call 911 constantly because Ya'llQueda is wandering the streets.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hot take: what if there isn't a 2020 election?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Good morning while y'all were arguing about war crimes the police became more untouchable https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/869556533348225025

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

socialsecurity posted:

It's like he has no idea what's been going on the past 8 years.

Also pretty sure that, like NATO, he really doesn't get how the Senate works. We know (or at least read it as) it translates to "get rid of the fillibuster", but that's not actually going to solve the issues they have with the AHCA votes.

Wouldn't be surprised if Donny thinks that the Senate actually mandates 60 votes instead of it being a way of life due to overuse of the fillibuster.

I'd also be fine with it going. If it's gone when we get back in power, assuming if we manage to make in roads in 18 and take congress in 20, that makes everything that much easier to pass.

Big if, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RuanGacho posted:

As terrible as cops can be, I'm pretty sure theyre not going to be ok with active militia groups causing their jurisdictions to call 911 constantly because Ya'llQueda is wandering the streets.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were cops who joined them while off-duty.

• Locked thread