Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you're fine with being cheap have Luthier Excalibur Dessaix and turnwheel until it crits. That should one shot him. It's not a long map though so if he's out of range resetting shouldn't put you back too far.
Is Luthier Lucas? I don't have Excalibur, whatever that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Is Luthier Lucas? I don't have Excalibur, whatever that is.

Did you go to the village on the way to the fortress? You can recruit a mage there who is a pretty mediocre unit but he has the spell Excalibur which is a free +30 to crit. If you haven't done that definitely go there, there's a forge to upgrade your gear as well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No because the game was like "WE HAVE TO GO KILL DESAIX NOW"

I was thinking of hitting the village but decided not to. Maybe I'll just reload and do that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game heavily rewards you in general for going to all the optional places first. There's no actual time pressure at any point

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Is there any punishment for using the Turnwheel, or conversely, a reward for not using it besides bragging rights?

I mean, it's too late for me if it is because I swear crit and hit rates are brutal in this game and I wasn't resetting a map because the boss rolled double 3% crit.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

shh it's ok everyone uses the Turnwheel

And no there's no penalty or reward.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

turns out being able to draw miku in armor is really all you need to be a great fire emblem artist

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

shh it's ok everyone uses the Turnwheel

And no there's no penalty or reward.

However, there is a small renown bonus for using it. So, you know. All the more reason to do it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's also the reward of not having to reload a save if the CPU scores a lucky crit on you and kills one of your units.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
90 percent of my mila usage is because I healed the wrong character

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

my sage kliff is the tankiest and strongest unit in alm's army and sniper tobin would be the fastest if mathilda and clair didn't exist

I don't think this is normal

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 30, 2017

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Tae posted:

90 percent of my mila usage is because I healed the wrong character

tell me about it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a way to get the battle screen to show all stats and damage like both the other 3DS FE games?

Also, I just got to chapter 3 and not too long ago encountered my first Titan and, soon after, an Entombed. Holy cow, those things seriously got gimped in the coming millennia. I hope Alm's army gets some good ways to mitigate Terrors soon. Otherwise, I'll just trade the Blessed Sword over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the battle screen already shows the damage? just look at the hp bars.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I felt like that area felt empty before. I did not face any Anti-Flier grunts until near the end of chapter 4 in normal mode.

Is Echoes Hard based on OG Gaiden? I'm curious about the difference. The two archers on that red circle are straight up not there on normal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neither normal nor hard seem to be exact recreations of FE Gaiden in terms of enemy placements/stats. FE Gaiden lacks those archers in the circle, but Echoes Hard lacks the number of soldiers on the right.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My favorite twist in the game so far is just how reasonable Jedah is despite him being the games resident evil mage.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Too bad about Celica's brain falling out in the last third of the game. The plot and character motivations felt really good up until the final stretch when suddenly Celica becomes an incredibly naive moron, Jedah switches from reasonable baddie with a goal to generic boring bad guy, the Emporer reveals his nonexistent "plan", and Berkut does whatever. What in the world was up with Berkut's ending? The dude who murdered his wife gets Alm telling him how much he loves him as family and his murdered girlfriend doing the same, it's a redemption ending without any actual redemption on his part. Dude did have a great giant ham of a voice actor though.. I'm guessing the writers were shoehorning in the original ending, because everything felt pretty grounded until the crazy end.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Subvisual Haze posted:

Too bad about Celica's brain falling out in the last third of the game. The plot and character motivations felt really good up until the final stretch when suddenly Celica becomes an incredibly naive moron, Jedah switches from reasonable baddie with a goal to generic boring bad guy, the Emporer reveals his nonexistent "plan", and Berkut does whatever. What in the world was up with Berkut's ending? The dude who murdered his wife gets Alm telling him how much he loves him as family and his murdered girlfriend doing the same, it's a redemption ending without any actual redemption on his part. Dude did have a great giant ham of a voice actor though.. I'm guessing the writers were shoehorning in the original ending, because everything felt pretty grounded until the crazy end.

I am disappointed to hear that. Also it is amazing just how much of a jackass Celica's dad was. The evil chancellor should have been paraded through the streets as hero for killing the king.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of that stuff was bascially invented for the remake. Berkut and all flatout didn't exist and the whole Celica drama was more her just being outright overpowered by Jedah than willingly going with him. Specifically, he says 'Come with me if you want to help Alm,' Celica follows, then he just springs a trap on her, there's no 'you must specifically agree to be sacrificed.' Heck you know how in Echoes it's implied Celica's entire party has been fighting while waiting for Alm to arrive? In Gaiden the same implication is there, but Celica's included in that.

Rudolf's plan was still dumb, though.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 30, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love how at one point Jedah (endgame spoilers) starts laughing about how once Celica is sacrificed Duma will regain his sanity and usher in an age of chaos, when Rigelian society has always been portrayed as extremely orderly and overly regimented if anything.

I really think they completely lost the plot in Act 4.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GulagDolls posted:

i am playing this and liking it

i hope they keep this artist...its just pleasant to look at peoples portraits.

Couple pages ago but holy poo poo this. I unfortunately don't think it'll happen but it would be amazing if the switch title had this artist.

By the way, does the dread fighter's overclass also have the ability to promote to villager or is that just a dread fighter thing?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Inverted Sphere posted:

So as somebody who kind of likes mindlessly grinding sometimes as a way of downshifting after a rough day at work, how's the grinding DLC for Echoes anyways? Come to think of it, how's the DLC in general?

I enjoyed the XP grinding DLC. The hard one has some interesting map gimmicks with crumbling doorways between the north and south sections. Grinding with the DLC felt more fun than just repeatedly skirmishing. If you really like slightly improving your growths, equipping shards from the item DLC instead of weapons or shields does that for you.

Overall, I enjoyed Valentia. Some rough patches here and there, most notably Celica's increasing tendency to make really dumb choices later on, but the writing was solid, the voice acting was enjoyable enough that I actually wanted to listen rather than skip through, and the reworking of a lot of systems compared to more recent games made everything feel surprisingly novel.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i transferred alm's draco shield over so valmar could have it. he loses the one point of speed he had but has become... unstoppable. even the guy with the shadow sword couldn't do nothin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ROFL Octopus posted:

Couple pages ago but holy poo poo this. I unfortunately don't think it'll happen but it would be amazing if the switch title had this artist.

By the way, does the dread fighter's overclass also have the ability to promote to villager or is that just a dread fighter thing?
FE Switch could easily have this artist. They actually wanted them for Awakening, but they were busy doing art for the Atelier games.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a way to get the battle screen to show all stats and damage like both the other 3DS FE games?
There's an option called combat forecast, if you switch it to "Simplified" then the numbers in the forecast and battle screen become hit/dmg/crit like in most of the recent games, instead of hit/atk/def/crit which is dumb.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the original gaiden every few steps alm took in the final dungeon you'd get a popup saying something like "Catria took 2 damage!" and then in the final fight Celica's army would be a bit beaten up. It didn't make a huge difference because Tatiana could just fortify it away trivially but it added a lot of atmosphere and I was sad to see it gone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah honestly it'd be kind of cool if after the mid-dungeon boss and the cutscenes you had to play a couple of turns with celica's army

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There's an option called combat forecast, if you switch it to "Simplified" then the numbers in the forecast and battle screen become hit/dmg/crit like in most of the recent games, instead of hit/atk/def/crit which is dumb.

What?! That's dumb. Usually the "simplified" anything in these games is useless, so I never bothered turning it on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the simplified option in this game is useless too :twisted:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

in what way, simplified shows the numbers and hit rate pretty well .

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The hit/atk/def/crit option is only really there so they can have hit/atk/def in bar form like Gaiden did. There's no other reason for it to be that way.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Tbh if only it shows "Damage Dealt" or sth I wouldn't be so annoyed at it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The song that plays during the Valentia credits is pretty nice :unsmith:
EDIT: In fact, the whole soundtrack was good from what I remember. Audio was a real strong point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alm's VA is streaming the game: https://www.twitch.tv/kylemccarley

And to tell you how little VA's are told about the game beyond their scenes, he didn't know Alm and Celica aren't cousins

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

And to tell you how little VA's are told about the game beyond their scenes, he didn't know Alm and Celica aren't cousins

He didn't really know poo poo about 9S, either, for that matter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tae posted:

O_o

they get uh pretty romantic towards the end there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just saying that people severely underestimate how much context the VA's are given, even in the best of circumstances.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this desert map is dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Cake Attack posted:

this desert map is dire

But is it worse than the poison swamps? Celica's path has a map to make you go "oh gently caress you game" for everyone!

• Locked thread