Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wargroove looks like Advance Wars married Fire Emblem.

Video games cannot marry, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bring back Gotta Protectors on a console that doesn't stink

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Switch Shovel Knight the 'definitive' Shovel Knight? People rave about it and I do enjoy 2D platformers but £22 seems a lot.

Also why is Spectre Knight a seperate game? Is that just for people who already own Shovel Knight on a different console so they don't have to re-buy it?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The games before Advance Wars were Super Famicom Wars, Game Boy Wars, and Famicom Wars, so a new one should be *Click sound effect* Wars.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I bought neo turf masters, its not good. I was lied to.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wargroove looks like Advance Wars married Fire Emblem.

It also looks bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pierson posted:

Is Switch Shovel Knight the 'definitive' Shovel Knight? People rave about it and I do enjoy 2D platformers but £22 seems a lot.

Also why is Spectre Knight a seperate game? Is that just for people who already own Shovel Knight on a different console so they don't have to re-buy it?

Yes, Yacht club decided starting with Spectre they would begin offering the expansions a la carte and increase the base price of the game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Spellman posted:

Bring back Gotta Protectors on a console that doesn't stink
You just reminded me that Gotta Protectors was never released in Europe. RIP.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

EpicNemesis posted:

nah, it is good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

EpicNemesis posted:

looks like another f*cking troll has come into the thread :rolleyes:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Japanese retailer may have outed that Pokken is getting a Switch port.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I'd be happy with that. That's another Wii U game I skipped that I'd buy on the Switch.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
That's cool and all, but will it just straight up not have local multiplayer?

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Stux posted:

looks like another f*cking troll has come into the thread :rolleyes:

Looks like another f*cking humdinger from Stux in this thread :golfclap:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hace posted:

That's cool and all, but will it just straight up not have local multiplayer?

They could just do split screen

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

They all do use a sword though
I mean, if the original trailer was anything to go by, we have three sword guys from Fates, one or two swords people from Awakening, Sword Marth from Shadow Dragon and two OC swords people, in a game they don't want to be too sword heavy.

Even focusing on Lords alone, it's weird ignoring Magic based Miciah and Celica, Lance based Ephiram and Axe man Hector because of this reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If too many sword users is a problem, why would you make the new characters use swords?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They could just do split screen

Why does it need splitscreen? Couldn't they just change the camera to be more like Tekken?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

empathe posted:

Why does it need splitscreen? Couldn't they just change the camera to be more like Tekken?

I believe gameplay changes somewhat depending on perspective. You are at a disadvantage when in side view mode and an advantage when behind the shoulder.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

So the deal is that SK: Treasure Trove includes the current 3 character campaigns as well as the future one to-be-released. But yeah, you can also pick up the individual campaigns separately, in case you just want one on different hardware or whatever.

Also yeah, Switch version is probably the best.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Why is the Switch version of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove the best? Is it the amiibo features?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yacht seems to have some kind of partnership with Nintendo (I think Nintendo punished SK in Japan) so it seems like expansions will go to Switch first.

^Amiibo features and it's a great portable game. Looks a lot better than on 3ds because of the better quality screen.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

Why is the Switch version of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove the best? Is it the amiibo features?

Oh, I didn't mean to connect those thoughts. What I meant is I think Switch is the best platform for any of the campaigns or the full TT version. (For reference, I've played through SK on Steam, 3DS, and Wii U.) It just looks great, the portability is great, and obviously opinions of the joy-con d-pad vary but I have found myself liking it a lot.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks guys. I get it's meant to be a tribute to old NES games but did they make sure to dump stuff that sucked about NES games while doing so?

I can't help but think of Yooka-Laylee which was a 'tribute' to Banjo-Kazooie and just included every gameplay mechanic from B-K without checking if that stuff was still fun or good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pierson posted:

Thanks guys. I get it's meant to be a tribute to old NES games but did they make sure to dump stuff that sucked about NES games while doing so?

I can't help but think of Yooka-Laylee which was a 'tribute' to Banjo-Kazooie and just included every gameplay mechanic from B-K without checking if that stuff was still fun or good.

They thought that poo poo was fun and good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it was kind of funny how all those new updates came out for the arcade version while the wiiu game was left for dead. I'm expecting they put out a new version of this for Switch now, hopefully with balance changes and AI that isn't braindead

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

I still think collectathons are fun and good :kiddo:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Policenaut posted:

FE Warriors having the weapon triangle sounds cool, but the potential roster being based around Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates sounds worrying.

Dude let Marth loving die already Nintendo, stop cramming him in every loving Fire Emblem thing, he doesnt have to be your Fire Emblem Mario. It's like 30 years since the whole "We need a cool Mascot so all the babs know this thing is kinda like that other thing because it's got the same dude in it. It's like a seal of quality so they dont get confused thinking that no, this game called Fire Emblem 2 is NOT completely different from the other Fire Emblem." Being unwilling to differentiate and let go of your one good thing is part of what sunk the Wii U.

Also why so many sword users? loving Dynasty Warriors had that poo poo down by the second game. You have swords, spears, axes, and bows; give them all weird over the top crazy weapons like Samurai Warriors did, or Sengoku Basara where the dude has a cannon in the tip of his spear or is chucking around a giant anchor. Use some of the non-main characters instead of the mainstay hero guys who youre trying to make toys and merchandise and posters of or whatever--worst case, someone doesnt know who they are and ends up liking them and now you have a new avenue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pierson posted:

A number of things.

So for example: plenty of checkpoints. Infinite lives. All you lose in death is an amount of gold, which you can get back if you make it to the spot where you died. Sprites do not have a limitation of how many colors they can have in them and there is not slowdown fun having too many sprites on screen. The sound is 7 voices instead of the NES five. Sound effects do not have to cut out parts of the sound track like in the NES. There are also real parallax backgrounds instead of tricks.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, everything about Shovel Knight's design is informed by the NES without being restricted by it, and they've included a number of features that are a big help to bad knights like myself. Death isn't particularly punishing, there's a lot of upgrades you can invest in if you need a little help, you can replay old levels if you're short on cash, that sort of thing.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 30, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah but we were kids back then, and stupid!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pierson posted:

Yeah but we were kids back then, and stupid!

What's the dev's excuse then?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, everything about Shovel Knight's design is informed by the NES without being restricted by it, and they've included a number of features that are a big help to bad knights like myself. Death isn't particularly punishing, there's a lot of upgrades you can invest in if you need a little help, you can replay old levels if you're short on cash, that sort of thing.

Inversely you can break every checkpoint, avoid using spells, and play the game on hard if you want a true Ninja Gaiden/Zelda 2-style challenge. The expansions also feature characters that emulate the game breaking mechanics of games like Super Metroid (something akin to bomb jumping with Plague Knight).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Has anyone used one of the Anker 10000kwh battery packs to charge their switch with a USB/mini wire, such as the one that comes with a Pro controller?

Policenaut posted:

FE Warriors having the weapon triangle sounds cool, but the potential roster being based around Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates sounds worrying.

No Ike no sale.

If they're worried about sword users being too common just give him his dad's axe. :black101:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It turns out that Nintendo made the switch hilariously out of compliance with USB-C spec, so everything other than first party accessories is use at your own risk at this point.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

bull3964 posted:

It turns out that Nintendo made the switch hilariously out of compliance with USB-C spec, so everything other than first party accessories is use at your own risk at this point.

There's a Reddit post that lists the most effective battery packs on the Switch at least, it's probably a guide I would examine before buying one. Having said that, I have an Anker direct-to-USB-C 20100 that works fine for me

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Every Switch owner should read all 3 pages of this from Anandtech, but p2 deals with this specifically: A look at Nintendo Switch power consumption.

quote:

The takeaway from all of this is that while this is by no means an exhaustive test, what I’ve found is that any good power bank designed to power tablets will be sufficient to power the Switch. So long as a bank can deliver 5V @ 2A or better, then it can power Nintendo’s console. (And if you're looking for buying advice, while I haven't yet had a chance to test it, RAVPower recently started shipping a rather sizable 99 Whr power bank that supports up to 20V)

The one downside is that due to the inner-workings of the USB Power Delivery specification (more on that in a sec), the Switch apparently can’t pull enough energy from standard 5V-output power banks to meaningfully recharge its battery while gaming. So with a 5V power bank, if your Switch is fully depleted, you’ll need to stay attached to the bank the entire time you’re playing, or take a break and let the bank recharge the Switch while it’s sleeping. In the case of the latter, the recharge rate should only be a bit lower than if you had used the AC adapter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Under some circumstances, the switch can draw 300% of a power supply's rated spec due to the protocol errors present in the device. It is very risky to use it with anything other than the official adapter at this point.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/WDkb3TEgMvf

quote:

This is a somewhat-important caution to any +Nintendo Switch owners. You know how I said "The Switch is not USB-C compliant, so avoid using it with any third-party chargers (or vice versa)?"
tl;dr: The Switch is not USB-C compliant, and overdraws some USB-PD power supplies by 300%.

This is a pretty major error and seems to be triggered by any supplies that have a "Split PDO" or re-advertise their SRC_CAP message. This means AVOID using the Apple 87w or +Anker PowerPort 5+ chargers with the Nintendo Switch tablet itself, or with the Dock. (Among other chargers; these two are just the ones I'm most familiar with. And are the most popular/prevalent that contract and draw ~1.5a. If the charger had multiple Type-C ports, or was a battery-backed supply that relies on devices honoring their contract, the Nintendo Switch would massively overdraw the power reserve and overload from the USB-PD spec. (i.e. "I know it's acting funny, but I have to find the exact line to quote.") This one was the most major, and most worthy of a quick response.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't people mention that around launch something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has anyone used one of the Anker 10000kwh battery packs to charge their switch with a USB/mini wire, such as the one that comes with a Pro controller?

I have. It's been fine.

• Locked thread