Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

skull mask mcgee posted:

I wonder how long Spell Tier 6 is gonna take to unlock :v:

I just got to spell tiers and this is probably the most ill conceived unlock system in the entire game. It should at least reduce the total for upper tiers if you unlocked lower tiers in an earlier R.

Yeah I ascended a couple days ago and now everything sucks ):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

Yeah I ascended a couple days ago and now everything sucks ):

Uh oh. I'm on R39 right now, I don't like the sound of this. Anything I should know beforehand?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Emron posted:

Uh oh. I'm on R39 right now, I don't like the sound of this. Anything I should know beforehand?

Unlock as many trophies as you can before ascending since it'll be a while before you build back up to high numbers. As soon as you can after ascending get prismatic mana. Its a huge boost and pretty easy to get and the game gives no clue that its out there (and mostly assumed you have it).

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Emron posted:

Pretty much ignore every faction but titans unless you need to unlock tiered autocasting which I used droblins for.

Don't go for spell tiers until you need them to continue. The higher the R you're on, the less time they take to unlock.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
drat, I was putting off getting to R75 since I didn't think the update would be out for a long time, and updates usually come with a substantial boost to everything pre-endgame. Now I'm stuck on R74, with my Faceless build that was making Spvg gems only going up to Sxvg (even after tweaking it to account for the obvious research nerfs/buffs). Hopefully the tier 6 spells will make up the difference, but I still have 2 days to unlock them since I wasn't leaving my game open overnight.

Edly fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 30, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

100 casts of brainwave is needed for prismatic mana, right?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Abdicate, cast tax collection until you have the coins to go faceless, cast brainwave, then repeat. If you abdicate, you don't need to wait for the spell to finish before you cast again.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

Abdicate, cast tax collection until you have the coins to go faceless, cast brainwave, then repeat. If you abdicate, you don't need to wait for the spell to finish before you cast again.

You are a genius.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Emron posted:

QUICK GO FACELESS

Well did that last night and got ZERO offline progress. Like I had the app closed and my phone off for ~9 hours and when I got back on the progress thing didn't even pop up, hmm.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Personally I'll be waiting a few days for someone else to figure out all the hard stuff so I can just reap the sweet, sweet numbers

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Edly posted:

drat, I was putting off getting to R75 since I didn't think the update would be out for a long time, and updates usually come with a substantial boost to everything pre-endgame. Now I'm stuck on R74, with my Faceless build that was making Spvg gems only going up to Sxvg (even after tweaking it to account for the obvious research nerfs/buffs). Hopefully the tier 6 spells will make up the difference, but I still have 2 days to unlock them since I wasn't leaving my game open overnight.

I forgot time warps were a thing, I went ahead and used one to unlock all the Faceless tier 6 spells and it does indeed make a huge difference. I should be able to get to R75 pretty easily now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Holy crap the shark game owns. How did I not know about this? Just went thru the gateway (without really knowing what I was doing, so hopefully it wasn't a mistake) and everything is still so mysterious and interesting

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lottery of Babylon posted:

SHARK GAME

HELL YES IT'S THE GOON-MADE SHARK GAME THE ACTUAL BEST IDLE GAME

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

where's shark game 2

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

skull mask mcgee posted:

where's shark game 2

The guy who made shark game says he now hates idle games, from what I remember.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Man, it's been a long time since I played Realm Grinder but now I'm starting over again on the mobile version. I remember back before the GUI update I was somewhere around R20-ish and at one point early on I actually had built myself an autoclicker script to automate casting spells overnight (before I unlocked the actual autocast upgrades) while spamming treasure chest clicks :allears:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Whoa, did S305 get super nerfed? I feel like it used to give thousands of % increase to production, but now it's only 520% for me. Is it multiplicative now, or is it not a must-have anymore?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
It got super nerfed. It's still relatively good, just not completely busted. It's 7262% for me at R74 which is still one of the largest production boosts post ascension.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The buffs to FC chance are pretty massive. Got my research points for R45 within like 5 minutes of updating and didn't even excavate for them.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Edly posted:

It got super nerfed. It's still relatively good, just not completely busted. It's 7262% for me at R74 which is still one of the largest production boosts post ascension.

Unfortunate. I'm grinding out the 1E144 wall for R40 right now using S330 as a replacement.

Emron fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 31, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're into idle games, Black Desert Online is pushing a lot of the buttons I like. Leveling up combat seems to be pretty easy so you can focus on running trade routes with minimal input. From what I can tell, it actually encourages certain AFK actions, like running on circular trails to improve fitness, AFK fishing, and today I've been running trade routes, checking in every few minutes to buy and sell.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Twice now I wasted about an hour of gameplay in Realm Grinder because I made a typo in my merc template when saving it, went to press backspace to correct it.... and the Backspace To Go Back Chrome extension helpfully goes back to Google :smith:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And neither the periodic autosave nor the cloud save did anything about that? (That said, I feel like backspace-to-go-back would be a dubious idea in general unless you never ever made a typo or changed your mind of what you wanted to say.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Merijn posted:

Twice now I wasted about an hour of gameplay in Realm Grinder because I made a typo in my merc template when saving it, went to press backspace to correct it.... and the Backspace To Go Back Chrome extension helpfully goes back to Google :smith:
You are literally the person Google was trying to save when they changed that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Just hit R50 on Realm Grinder :3:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vil posted:

And neither the periodic autosave nor the cloud save did anything about that? (That said, I feel like backspace-to-go-back would be a dubious idea in general unless you never ever made a typo or changed your mind of what you wanted to say.)

Backspace on an email in outlook archives it. I have had many people complain that they have lost important emails because of this stupid hotkey. Backspace should never be bound to anything but deleting text :colbert:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So I'm into ascension land now and have a few questions.

I'm using the titan build that goof recommends, and it definitely breezed through to R42, but it slows WAY down once you hit 1e25 gems. With my current R needing 1.7e26, am I looking at significantly longer runs on the next few Rs?

I know dragons are next, but I think those come at R46, right? And finally, can someone explain spell tier unlocks to me?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Spell tiers are how you're going to bridge that gap to dragons, and you'll need to dig more deeply into them after dragons too (although dragons' sheer power will probably carry you for a while).

There's three parts to them: the one-time-ever unlock (1), the purchasing of the associated upgrade this abdication (2), and the actual activation/deactivation once you have the upgrade (3).

1. The unlock is fairly straightforward in how to do it but complicated in when to do it: rack up a bunch of activity time (resets on reincarnation but not on abdication) for the spell in question. The milestone you have to hit depends on the tier (higher tier = more time) and the R (higher R = less time), meaning you'll want to unlock what you need to but not sit down at R42 to unlock all the way to tier 6. In the R40s you're looking at:

Tier 2: about 1 day
Tier 3: about 2.5-3 days
Tier 4: about 5.5-6.5 days
Tier 5: about 9.5-11 days
Tier 6: about 14.5-17 days

For scale of how unlocks go faster later on, by R80 you're looking at:

Tier 2: 11h 36m
Tier 3: 1d 11h 30m
Tier 4: 3d 27m
Tier 5: 5d 3h 13m
Tier 6: 7d 20h 36m

You'll definitely wanna unlock tier 2 and probably tier 3 for the neutral factions in the near future. By the time you're pinched enough to want tier 4+ you'll be able to make more informed decisions for yourself of when it's worth going for them.

It's worth noting, however, that if you unlock, say, tier 4 but not tier 5, then reincarnate and want tier 5, you're starting all the way over again from 0 (albeit with a smaller ultimate goal). For example, suppose you go for tier 4 in R50, which takes ~5d13h. You could either proceed to tier 5 in R50 (~9d10h, or another ~3d21h), or you could reincarnate to R51 and go for tier 5 then from scratch (~9d5h), effectively wasting the difference (~5d8h). The main upshot is, if you're not gonna continue the unlock to the next tier, be sure you're not gonna be wanting that tier for a while, so the wasted time doesn't sting too much.

Like with other unlocks, once tier X of spell Y is unlocked it stays unlocked. (Each tier of each spell is unlocked independently. Unlocking tiers of lightning strike won't also give you tiers of brainwave - unless you concurrently cast both as mercs I suppose. But you can unlock tiers of call to arms, gem grinder, lightning strike, dragon breath, and spiritual surge all at the same time.)

For factions you don't play and spells you don't use much or at all, blow off unlocking their tiers as long as possible so you can take advantage of the fact that it's faster at higher Rs.

Anyway.

2. Unlocking it doesn't mean you can use it at all times, it means there'll exist an upgrade you can buy to let you have the option of using it. Also like with other unlocks, there's a difference between having it unlocked and having it affordable in a given abdication. Faction coins tend to be the most limiting factor in affording those upgrades, so call to arms (which doesn't require any) will be the most affordable, and dragon breath (which requires the most) will be the hardest to afford.

You do not have to be able to afford the upgrade in order for the permanent unlock to stick. Simply having the upgrade show up is enough.

3. Finally, assuming you've got tier X of spell Y unlocked and (in this abdication) purchased, actually activating the tier is done by holding X and clicking on the spell (which also requires the Tiered Autocasting upgrade, but that's quite trivial to get compared to the actual tier unlocks). Each click increases the active tiers by 1 up to your current available-by-purchased-upgrades cap, after which it resets back down to 1 so you can loop through to whatever tier you want to have running at a given moment (usually but not always max).

The reason they don't just default to highest tier active at all times, is because higher tiers can get a little pricy mana-wise, so if you're only regenerating like 100 mana/tick a spell that costs 80,000 mana (spiritual surge tier 6) might not be advisable.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 1, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Emron posted:

So I'm into ascension land now and have a few questions.

I'm using the titan build that goof recommends, and it definitely breezed through to R42, but it slows WAY down once you hit 1e25 gems. With my current R needing 1.7e26, am I looking at significantly longer runs on the next few Rs?

I know dragons are next, but I think those come at R46, right? And finally, can someone explain spell tier unlocks to me?

I spent a few weeks on R45, honestly

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Vil posted:

Spell tiers are how you're going to bridge that gap to dragons, and you'll need to dig more deeply into them after dragons too (although dragons' sheer power will probably carry you for a while).

There's three parts to them: the one-time-ever unlock (1), the purchasing of the associated upgrade this abdication (2), and the actual activation/deactivation once you have the upgrade (3).

1. The unlock is fairly straightforward in how to do it but complicated in when to do it: rack up a bunch of activity time (resets on reincarnation but not on abdication) for the spell in question. The milestone you have to hit depends on the tier (higher tier = more time) and the R (higher R = less time), meaning you'll want to unlock what you need to but not sit down at R42 to unlock all the way to tier 6. In the R40s you're looking at:

Tier 2: about 1 day
Tier 3: about 2.5-3 days
Tier 4: about 5.5-6.5 days
Tier 5: about 9.5-11 days
Tier 6: about 14.5-17 days

For scale of how unlocks go faster later on, by R80 you're looking at:

Tier 2: 11h 36m
Tier 3: 1d 11h 30m
Tier 4: 3d 27m
Tier 5: 5d 3h 13m
Tier 6: 7d 20h 36m

You'll definitely wanna unlock tier 2 and probably tier 3 for the neutral factions in the near future. By the time you're pinched enough to want tier 4+ you'll be able to make more informed decisions for yourself of when it's worth going for them.

It's worth noting, however, that if you unlock, say, tier 4 but not tier 5, then reincarnate and want tier 5, you're starting all the way over again from 0 (albeit with a smaller ultimate goal). For example, suppose you go for tier 4 in R50, which takes ~5d13h. You could either proceed to tier 5 in R50 (~9d10h, or another ~3d21h), or you could reincarnate to R51 and go for tier 5 then from scratch (~9d5h), effectively wasting the difference (~5d8h). The main upshot is, if you're not gonna continue the unlock to the next tier, be sure you're not gonna be wanting that tier for a while, so the wasted time doesn't sting too much.

Like with other unlocks, once tier X of spell Y is unlocked it stays unlocked. (Each tier of each spell is unlocked independently. Unlocking tiers of lightning strike won't also give you tiers of brainwave - unless you concurrently cast both as mercs I suppose. But you can unlock tiers of call to arms, gem grinder, lightning strike, dragon breath, and spiritual surge all at the same time.)

For factions you don't play and spells you don't use much or at all, blow off unlocking their tiers as long as possible so you can take advantage of the fact that it's faster at higher Rs.

Anyway.

2. Unlocking it doesn't mean you can use it at all times, it means there'll exist an upgrade you can buy to let you have the option of using it. Also like with other unlocks, there's a difference between having it unlocked and having it affordable in a given abdication. Faction coins tend to be the most limiting factor in affording those upgrades, so call to arms (which doesn't require any) will be the most affordable, and dragon breath (which requires the most) will be the hardest to afford.

You do not have to be able to afford the upgrade in order for the permanent unlock to stick. Simply having the upgrade show up is enough.

3. Finally, assuming you've got tier X of spell Y unlocked and (in this abdication) purchased, actually activating the tier is done by holding X and clicking on the spell (which also requires the Tiered Autocasting upgrade, but that's quite trivial to get compared to the actual tier unlocks). Each click increases the active tiers by 1 up to your current available-by-purchased-upgrades cap, after which it resets back down to 1 so you can loop through to whatever tier you want to have running at a given moment (usually but not always max).

The reason they don't just default to highest tier active at all times, is because higher tiers can get a little pricy mana-wise, so if you're only regenerating like 100 mana/tick a spell that costs 80,000 mana (spiritual surge tier 6) might not be advisable.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! Dumb question though: how does active spell time work for CtA?

Edit: I'm tired and dumb and confused it with TC. Disregard

Emron fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 1, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

pixaal posted:

Backspace on an email in outlook archives it. I have had many people complain that they have lost important emails because of this stupid hotkey. Backspace should never be bound to anything but deleting text :colbert:

Isn't this a bug though? When i first got the new outlook (2016?) this annoyed me to no end, but after a quick googling i was able to disable it. It didn't seem it was intended that backspace archives an email; like email is literally just writing text and you shouldn't be able to edit that text?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There are no bugs in Microsoft products, only undocumented features.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Emron posted:

This is incredibly helpful, thank you! Dumb question though: how does active spell time work for CtA?

Edit: I'm tired and dumb and confused it with TC. Disregard

As somebody who is going through the same grind you are right now, I hope you've gotten Prismatic Mana. I waited until r45 to get it, and it's really speeding up my run.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

As somebody who is going through the same grind you are right now, I hope you've gotten Prismatic Mana. I waited until r45 to get it, and it's really speeding up my run.

I sat my rear end down and abdicated 900 times as soon as I hit R40 to get it based on the advice from earlier in the thread. You're not kidding about the boost!

I'm not sure how I feel about this stage's paradigm shift being "now you have to leave it on one faction for days at a time," but that IS in line with the "delay progress to get upgrades" thinking from earlier in the game.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

I sat my rear end down and abdicated 900 times as soon as I hit R40 to get it based on the advice from earlier in the thread. You're not kidding about the boost!

I'm not sure how I feel about this stage's paradigm shift being "now you have to leave it on one faction for days at a time," but that IS in line with the "delay progress to get upgrades" thinking from earlier in the game.

From R40 to R75, it's neutral factions exclusively. Titans to start, then Faceless. Dragons are just too good.

Merc research seems to be shaking things up a bit, but I'm still not at a point where I can start playing with it. Although Merc research unlocks at R75, it's realistically not feasible to use until R76 or very late in R75 around the 100 Oc - 1 Novg gem mark.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay I'll give what changes in realm grinder? I didn't get far because it just feels like an adcap style buy buildings, get achievements, restart game. But you guys make it sound like it pulls a Candy Box and becomes something with more than that basic cycle. Is that the case?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

From R40 to R75, it's neutral factions exclusively. Titans to start, then Faceless. Dragons are just too good.

Merc research seems to be shaking things up a bit, but I'm still not at a point where I can start playing with it. Although Merc research unlocks at R75, it's realistically not feasible to use until R76 or very late in R75 around the 100 Oc - 1 Novg gem mark.

This is surprising to me because I was just barely able to hit the ~10 Ocvg gems needed for R75 with a couple of overnight Faceless runs. How are you supposed to get to 1 Novg without merc research?

Len posted:

Okay I'll give what changes in realm grinder? I didn't get far because it just feels like an adcap style buy buildings, get achievements, restart game. But you guys make it sound like it pulls a Candy Box and becomes something with more than that basic cycle. Is that the case?

It's not like Candy Box in the sense that there's a "surprise, here's a totally different game hidden behind here!" thing, it just unlocks more and more new features as you reincarnate. Those features do transform the gameplay significantly though. There are whole new factions to unlock, tons of different bonuses, systems where you pick and choose different upgrades, etc. I think it's hands down the best (or honestly, only actually good) idle game that you can't finish in an afternoon.

Edly fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 1, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Foo posted:

I spent a few weeks on R45, honestly
Ask me about my experience getting to R47 without Prismatic Mana!

...something like a month after they unlocked Ascension :shepicide:

(I quit when the art overhaul dropped. I don't even know what Prismatic Mana is. But now that I looked it up, that rules.)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Len posted:

So there's two kinds of reset--Abdication and Reincarnation. Abdication is the basic AdCap style "Get a big production boost" reset; you can abdicate whenever you want. Your alliance resets with each abdication, so you can try out different factions. As you grind up gems, you'll unlock excavations and the Neutral factions, and further on you'll get the prestige factions.

Reincarnation is a bit messier--you have to hit a given gem threshold to Reincarnate (starts at 1 Octillion, multiply by 1000 with each subsequent reincarnation). When you reincarnate, you give up all of your gems (not your unlocks, though), and you'll get some relatively minor bonuses. But as you continue to reincarnate, you'll unlock more and more facets of the game--you'll unlock things like faction-specific challenges, the Mercenary faction, Bloodline upgrades, the Research system, etc). Taken together, these will let you rush through the parts of the game you've already done, so the bulk of each R is spent working at new stuff. It progresses in a very natural way, never feels overwhelming, and will typically throw you something new when you're just getting tired of what you were working with before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Len posted:

There's stages to the game that each change the way you play it. They still adhere to "make numbers go up" so it's not similar to Candy Box. I'm still in the mid game, but the stages so far have been:

1) Buy buildings, make coins
2) Unlock factions that give specific bonuses (better mana regen, boosts to one kind of building, better offline production, etc)
3) Unlock bonuses from each faction (heritages) that apply no matter what faction you use
4) Unlock "prestige" factions which stack with your first faction for bigger bonuses
5) Unlock "mercenaries" which allow you to mix and match bonuses from every faction as you choose. This is the first big shift. It encourages you to think about what bonuses would stack best with each other, and with what spells.
6) Unlock research, which gives additional specific bonuses on top of your faction bonuses. This is another big shift. Each research itself needs specific conditions to be met to be unlocked, and it makes you think again about how to approach stacking bonuses for different goals.
7) Eventually, you ascend, which cuts the numbers down but gives huge boosts to other things. This also makes lots of other upgrades free that were not before (including researches). This is where I am now.

Basically, it keeps introducing new complexities that build off your understanding of ALL the prior elements it introduced before, and each new complexity encourages you to think about the way you're playing differently than you did before.