Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, everything about the online registration sucks, from hotels to search to events. I always find a hotel independently and never bother registering for events and I've always found plenty to do. Between goon games, demos, and generic tickets, I've had a great time both years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, everything about the online registration sucks, from hotels to search to events. I always find a hotel independently and never bother registering for events and I've always found plenty to do. Between goon games, demos, and generic tickets, I've had a great time both years.

Different strokes, different folks. At "for fun" conventions I withdraw into my shell if I don't have a schedule.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

DontMockMySmock posted:

The starter decks are pretty bad at dealing with single player. You might want to try playing two-handed, or build your own multi-colored deck that has a mixture of questing and fighting.

I figured that and will be making a two color deck once I've finished playing the starters. My fun game comment wasn't sarcastic.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bottom Liner posted:

hell I haven't done an event in years and still have a blast. i'm trying to branch out a bit this year but yeah, gencon has a lot to offer

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I only got into 1 thing I signed up for. Generics worked wonders in past years and Jesus Christ the vendor hall is an entire day and you STILL won't see all of it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I got into the inaugural tournament, so free box for me and I get to skip the FFG line!

Carteret is right, the vendor hall is so big that it would take you 2, maybe 3 days to see everything and do all the demos. And they expanded it from last year.

Any articles on how to play the new Legend of the five rings?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I hope it's okay to post it in here, might do so in the Arkham Horror thread, but I've literally only touched this once and haven't ever managed to get back to it. I thought getting in on the ground floor of a game I could play singular or with others would help but I don't have time or money.

I have 2 core sets, the first big box expansion (sans box as puppy destroyed it) and Carnival of Horrors. I live in Canada so shipping to the US would probably cost a bit, but I really just want this stuff gone so shoot me a PM or give me an email and we can talk price.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Exmond posted:

I got into the inaugural tournament, so free box for me and I get to skip the FFG line!

Carteret is right, the vendor hall is so big that it would take you 2, maybe 3 days to see everything and do all the demos. And they expanded it from last year.

There are one or two articles floating around already. I noticed a "Crane Strategy" article on reddit. I did not read it and will not because it's a scientific certainty that anyone writing a strategy article about this unreleased game is a blithering idiot who will not be right about basically anything. Or perhaps the article is full of horoscope-grade poo poo like "try to have more stats than him." I don't know, I ain't reading it and I recommend you not waste minutes of your life on those people either.

Orrrr if you only mean "what are the game rules" as in literally "how do I play" and my brief rant was completely unwarranted...check out FFG's website. The preview article line gives you information on turn structure.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Exmond posted:

The box isn't free? The tournament costs $48, which covers the box.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SuperKlaus posted:

There are one or two articles floating around already. I noticed a "Crane Strategy" article on reddit. I did not read it and will not because it's a scientific certainty that anyone writing a strategy article about this unreleased game is a blithering idiot who will not be right about basically anything. Or perhaps the article is full of horoscope-grade poo poo like "try to have more stats than him." I don't know, I ain't reading it and I recommend you not waste minutes of your life on those people either.

Orrrr if you only mean "what are the game rules" as in literally "how do I play" and my brief rant was completely unwarranted...check out FFG's website. The preview article line gives you information on turn structure.

The full cardset has been finalized for awhile and they've already been playtesting the new expansion for a few months. Also they previewed a bunch of Crane cards (don't think they got them all, but most).

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deviant posted:

The box isn't free? The tournament costs $48, which covers the box.

Yeah Tournament is $48. I was lucky and got into the inaugural tournament and not the casual tournament.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
I got in the FFG L5R tournament but am curious, is the official tournament the only way to actually get a copy of the game? Or can you buy it from the FFG booth? I thought I read that it doesn't come out until after Gencon.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Lump Shaker posted:

I got in the FFG L5R tournament but am curious, is the official tournament the only way to actually get a copy of the game? Or can you buy it from the FFG booth? I thought I read that it doesn't come out until after Gencon.

I believe L5R is FFG's Living Card Game release for this gencon. As for actually getting it, good luck. The big releases usually sell out immediately.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Lump Shaker posted:

If you are in the inaugural tournament you get a box
If you are in the casual tournament you do NOT get a box

If you are at gencon you will need to get in the FFG line to get a box, supplies are limited but you would think they know that tons of people will want a core set.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
L5R is a coop LCG or a comp one?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
2p competitive.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I picked up two core sets of Arkham Horror LCG and my play group absolutely loved it. The problem is that we're almost done with the first campaign and we're looking at getting the Dunwich Legacy box but I can't find it in stock anywhere. There are a few on Amazon but they're price gouging it pretty hard (around $50 after shipping).

Is it because it's older and out of print or is there just a limited supply that gets scooped up when they reprint? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the higher cost or will there be another wave? Also is it like the core set in that I need multiple copies to get all the relevant cards?

I happen to live near Fantasy Flight HQ in MN and their store here is pretty much always stocked with all of the available Arkham Horror expansions. If you have a PayPal account, I can pick up anything you need and mail it your way if you'd like; just send me a PM. I've helped out a few card-starved goons over in the Arkham Horror Thread already.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't have PM but please send me an email at defeldus gmail and I'd love to arrange a pickup!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I just started playing LOTR LCG and I'm starting to build some decks. Is there anyway to tell which spheres are good for each scenerio or is it just trial and error? Also any other tips would be nice since I bought someone's complete collection and it's a bit overwhelming.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

I just started playing LOTR LCG and I'm starting to build some decks. Is there anyway to tell which spheres are good for each scenerio or is it just trial and error? Also any other tips would be nice since I bought someone's complete collection and it's a bit overwhelming.

If you have a lot of cards then each sphere will have access to a decent range of abilities so you'll be able to construct balanced decks that can deal with most scenarios (the first expansion cycle is the one that's unforgiving to decks that aren't specifically built to beat their particular gimmick, which is why it sucks and is no fun to play).

For starting out as you are I would recommend throwing a bunch of cards with the same Traits together. A Gondor or Silvan or Dwarf or Rohan deck will be much easier to get started than picking based on sphere or following a list of "must-haves" as a beginner.

ringsdb.com has a database of thousands of user-created decks, and a search function that lets you find which ones use the heroes/cards you think look neat.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Rad Valtar posted:

As extremely general advice, and as a starting point:

Construct dual-sphere decks, with two heroes main-sphere and one off-sphere.
Treat the single-hero's sphere as support, since you can only count on a single resource of that type per turn.
Try to distribute your cards so that you have a lot of 1-cost and 2-cost cards that play well together (you can rock these out every turn), with around five each of 3-cost, 4-cost, and 5-cost cards, mostly allies and attachments (these usually stick around longer, so having to save for a few turns will be worth it)

:siren:Opinions alert:
Leadership and Lore are harder to make work with the first few cycle's worth of cards, and serve better in a support role. Tactics and Spirit (Especially Spirit) get poo poo done, since the main focus of most quests is combat and willpower.
Resource sharing is great, and a good way to have flexibility between your main and off-spheres: http://www.ringsdb.com/card/01002 and http://www.ringsdb.com/card/03002
Putting a song of your off-sphere one one of your two main-sphere heroes can also help smooth out your spending: http://www.ringsdb.com/find?q=song+of+x%3Aresource
If you're running leadership, you're an idiot if you don't use: http://www.ringsdb.com/card/01026 (note that you exhaust the attachment, not the hero)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

VS System is really big at my LGS. I bought the Aliens set because I want to face-hug some superheroes and do Alien stuff with my Alien buds. I hear Deadpool is great to pair the Aliens with, which sounds like a fun time because I'm not a huge Marvel fan but I like Deadpool. Anyone have any advice?

Following up on my own post, I've been playing a ton of VS System and it's really fun. I love how the main set gives you a playset of every card and a sturdy-as-hell box to keep everything in with room for all the expansions. It's such a solid game that I'm willing to look past the fact that I don't really like comic book stuff. I love the Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which makes me really happy that I've put together a deck with most of my favorite characters and a bunch of Aliens and it plays really well. There's fourteen people who play at my LGS, which is fourteen more people than play any other LCG at the shop (also, fourteen more people than play constructed Magic there :( ) so it's a decent sized crowd.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The VS LCG was pretty much DOA around my area. The combination of the laughable release and similar-yet-worse mechanics when compared to the old CCG doomed it. Honestly a bit surprised to see it's going well anywhere, I'd not seen nor heard much mention of it past the initial release.

That said, the original card game was probably my favorite 2 player CCG of all time (only really VtES compares). It added a layer of complexity on Magic with the positioning, while also having a great idea for eliminating mana-screw or similar effects in how you generated resources. Just a top notch game all around, shame how they botched the license.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

The VS LCG was pretty much DOA around my area. The combination of the laughable release and similar-yet-worse mechanics when compared to the old CCG doomed it. Honestly a bit surprised to see it's going well anywhere, I'd not seen nor heard much mention of it past the initial release.

That said, the original card game was probably my favorite 2 player CCG of all time (only really VtES compares). It added a layer of complexity on Magic with the positioning, while also having a great idea for eliminating mana-screw or similar effects in how you generated resources. Just a top notch game all around, shame how they botched the license.

Not every card game is going to be big everywhere. Netrunner and Game of Thrones are huge... but no one plays them by me at all. That said, I was surprised how little I found about VS 2.0 online. The Facebook group I got invited to is very active, but everywhere else including forums and Reddit are ghost towns.

I love the positioning, resource system, and the way plot twists (spells) are handled. I would've been happy with just the $20 Aliens expansion where I could play the Alien Queen and lay eggs all day, but I got the base set for another $40 store credit and the new expansion for another $20 and it opened up a lot of options. They've got a big box expansion based on Monsters Unleashed - which looking up the comics it's based around is a horribly cringe-worthy ridiculous plotline even for comic books - and then one based around the Predator movies, so someone must be buying the game.

Looking up the old VS System rules, it seemed to do the usual design mistake of trying to crib off Magic but try to hard to make it not look like that was the case. I'm happy they made the changes they did because the gameplay flow is very smooth.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Looking up the old VS System rules, it seemed to do the usual design mistake of trying to crib off Magic but try to hard to make it not look like that was the case. I'm happy they made the changes they did because the gameplay flow is very smooth.

I'm interested in where you think they were cribbing from Magic originally.

Also obviously different tastes for different people, but I thought most of the changes were bad. I have no idea why they started tying abilities to different types of resources, for instance. One of the great things about the original game was that you essentially didn't worry about "mana screw"-you could always play a card down into your resource row (although sometimes it wouldn't be a location or plot twist). I also don't really like the idea of a main character.

It's cool that the game still has a following though. I'd really like to see more companies using the LCG model. I know Doomtown was around for awhile but AEG seems to have moved away from it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Also obviously different tastes for different people, but I thought most of the changes were bad. I have no idea why they started tying abilities to different types of resources, for instance. One of the great things about the original game was that you essentially didn't worry about "mana screw"-you could always play a card down into your resource row (although sometimes it wouldn't be a location or plot twist). I also don't really like the idea of a main character.

It's cool that the game still has a following though. I'd really like to see more companies using the LCG model. I know Doomtown was around for awhile but AEG seems to have moved away from it.

Mostly the life total element - I could be wrong though.

I don't​ usually like "avatar" mechanics in games, but it's used well in VS. It's mostly because the main character is treated like any other character, just with more wounds and generally more powerful abilities. The mana screw isn't an issue as long as you build your deck around it. You can still play anything face down, but you need a certain "color" to activate some super powers. There's been times I really wanted to draw a yellow to close out a game, but my deck ran fine without it and I eventually won without ever drawing it. It's a balancing thing. If you've got a character that needs a red to activate an ability, you've generally got eight cards in the deck to generate that resource. If two characters need red, you have to be a little more choosy about when to activate which powers.

Doomtown was a great LCG that eventually fell due to having horrible balance issues and even worse rules problems and templating issues because AEG's QA and playtesting is reportedly poo poo. Someone else picked it up, but I'm not sure if the goal is to just "finish" the game with designed but unreleased sets or continue it. I got rid of my remaining cards (some got damaged unfortunately, so I didn't have complete playsets) but the base game was fun and I might pick up a single copy cheap so I can play it as a board game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

alansmithee posted:

Doomtown got resurrected, but I don't know the design pedigree of the people who picked it back up.

As I play more and more LCGs, I wish they would just do big boxes every 4-6 months instead of doing a monthly expansion pack, since I don't really have the time to tweak and change my decks every small pack anyway. It would also reduce physical waste, which is always a nice benefit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

As I play more and more LCGs, I wish they would just do big boxes every 4-6 months instead of doing a monthly expansion pack, since I don't really have the time to tweak and change my decks every small pack anyway. It would also reduce physical waste, which is always a nice benefit.

I agree with you, but I'm a functional adult able to budget more than $20 at a time. A lot of gamers cant or won't. While 6x$15 and $90 are technically the same it's easier for people to stomach the former. Not to mention a steady drip tends to keep people engaged in the absence of weekly or even monthly tournaments.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

Not to mention a steady drip tends to keep people engaged in the absence of weekly or even monthly tournaments.

This is the bigger deal for me. Having the monthly stream keeps the meta a bit fresher and if people are actually constantly building new decks with the new cards it keeps interest in the game. I remember playing L5R back in the day and being so bored 2 months after a new expansion hit because by that point I'd already been playing with the cards for at least 3 months thanks to a friend that would hook our group up with the pdfs of what would get sent to the printer. Even now the two-three(star wars) month delay between cycles is brutal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

In reality, LCG metas feel very slow and plodding, since with so many factions you might get 1 or 2 cards to put in your deck per pack. In AGoT, sometimes it's literally 1 card if any since you run singles a lot. I love the LCG model, but the steady drip doesn't feel nearly as exciting as a big release of a set like a CCG. Big changes in LCGs happen very slowly or after a big box expansion, and that's usually only for one faction. I guess it depends on how well they design the game and how your group or local scene plays.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

In reality, LCG metas feel very slow and plodding, since with so many factions you might get 1 or 2 cards to put in your deck per pack. In AGoT, sometimes it's literally 1 card if any since you run singles a lot. I love the LCG model, but the steady drip doesn't feel nearly as exciting as a big release of a set like a CCG. Big changes in LCGs happen very slowly or after a big box expansion, and that's usually only for one faction. I guess it depends on how well they design the game and how your group or local scene plays.

I do wish they would not focus on individual factions in the deluxes. It's even worse when the best cards in the set aren't even for the the faction the deluxe focuses on(I'm looking at you Spark of Rebellion!) I do like that they're not holding to a schedule on when to release deluxe expansions now though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is GoT worth getting into at this point? My buddy and I tried out Arkham Horror which we both dug and which I want to keep trying, but we both like GoT a lot and I'm looking at it. Is it more directly competitive like Magic?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It is a straight dueling game. You win by gaining power through various means, like three types of attacks: military, intrigue, and power challenges. Your resources, hand size, claim (strength of your attacks), and a special effect are determined by a plot card you reveal at the start of each round from a separate small deck. It's the best card game I've ever played. The theme and mechanics are blended perfectly. Pick up two cores and go to town. People also sell collections pretty cheap, if you want to go in all the way. It still has a big community two years in, if you care about competitive play.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Quidthulhu posted:

Is GoT worth getting into at this point? My buddy and I tried out Arkham Horror which we both dug and which I want to keep trying, but we both like GoT a lot and I'm looking at it. Is it more directly competitive like Magic?

Note that although the game purports to support 3+ players, that format is awful now because of the cards they've released, unless you just straight up ban the various board wipe cards.

A 5 player game where every player had a Valar and played them at different times is...a challenge.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there anything other than two core sets which would be considered essential if I wanted to jump in and get rolling?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the big multiplayer format is a nightmare unless you restrict each player to basic one core decks, then it's a lot of fun. The 1 on 1 is a deep, log game compared to MtG though. Lots of single games last 45 minutes to an hour.

/\ Technically you need 3 cores to have a full play set of everything, and if you and a friend are playing from the same collection it's a good idea because it'll also give you extras of some neutrals everyone wants. With 3 cores you can build 8 full single faction decks to learn how they all play and their gimmicks, great for casually learning the game and enjoying the characters. The first cycle does a great job of fleshing out most factions and enabling a lot of fun faction mixing or agendas (special abilities for a single faction deck). Hold off on the second cycle as it ramps up and bursts the meta wide open with the summer and winter decks and Valar (a hard board wipe card that completely changes the game).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 10, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bah double post

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

I kinda agree with this. The trickle of cards seems to mean nothing much changes, or something dramatic changes based on if there's a powerful card released. I've also noticed that when a big card gets previewed or spoiled things stagnate until its actually released.

Although I think part of that is just cardpool. When there's more sets things seem smoother in terms of the meta. Or at least that's how 1.0 played out

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

And even then, there's hardly any meta decisions re: deck building until at least the first full cycle and big expansion come out. The game doesn't even really start until that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Woo, got an L5R ticket in the second lot of seats.