Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I need a USB-C to USB 2.0 cord for transferring stuff from a flash drive to my phone. Does the "fit model" actually matter here? My phone is a Moto Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Jeffe posted:

I need a USB-C to USB 2.0 cord for transferring stuff from a flash drive to my phone. Does the "fit model" actually matter here? My phone is a Moto Z.

Shouldn't matter, USB is USB. You could also get a female-to-female adapter, plug your normal charge cord into one end and the flash drive into the other.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Chillyrabbit posted:

I could write an essay on this but on a phone.

Basically a black person and a chinese person aren't the same and lumping them together with people of color is retarded.

So I'm very strongly against using it.

This is some stupid loving poo poo. Calling them "people of color" isn't saying they're exactly the same, any more than calling them "people" is. The implication is that there are some broad commonalities between non-white people, not that literally everything about them is the same.

Apples and oranges aren't the same, so calling them both "fruit" is retarded; a salmon and a halibut aren't the same, so calling them both "fish" is retarded; a breadbasket and a synthetic polymer aren't the same, so calling them both "matter" is retarded. Do you see how retarded that sounds?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Shouldn't matter, USB is USB. You could also get a female-to-female adapter, plug your normal charge cord into one end and the flash drive into the other.

Great, thanks!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Thanatosian posted:

This is some stupid loving poo poo. Calling them "people of color" isn't saying they're exactly the same, any more than calling them "people" is. The implication is that there are some broad commonalities between non-white people, not that literally everything about them is the same.

Apples and oranges aren't the same, so calling them both "fruit" is retarded; a salmon and a halibut aren't the same, so calling them both "fish" is retarded; a breadbasket and a synthetic polymer aren't the same, so calling them both "matter" is retarded. Do you see how retarded that sounds?

Not wanting to devolve this into a slap fight. I'll just lay out my thoughts on the term "people of color"

People of color, share only 1 thing in common which is being not white, that to me seems kind of insane. Why should my problems be shared and diluted with other peoples problems? Like I don't worry about being hassled by the police since I'm not black, but I do worry about being stereotyped as a of the model minority being Chinese. Why should we equate these problems on the same level? and why does lumping all non-whites into one category matter? Hell people of color just breaks me down to my skin color when I consider my self Canadian first, and maybe Chinese looking second. Like seriously this just bothers me on so many levels that the only thing that needs to be known about me is my skin color gently caress everything else.

Scholarly papers I can give a pass to, but I do wish they were more precise since not everyone has the same problems from different skin colors.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

Not wanting to devolve this into a slap fight. I'll just lay out my thoughts on the term "people of color"

People of color, share only 1 thing in common which is being not white, that to me seems kind of insane. Why should my problems be shared and diluted with other peoples problems? Like I don't worry about being hassled by the police since I'm not black, but I do worry about being stereotyped as a of the model minority being Chinese. Why should we equate these problems on the same level? and why does lumping all non-whites into one category matter? Hell people of color just breaks me down to my skin color when I consider my self Canadian first, and maybe Chinese looking second. Like seriously this just bothers me on so many levels that the only thing that needs to be known about me is my skin color gently caress everything else.

Scholarly papers I can give a pass to, but I do wish they were more precise since not everyone has the same problems from different skin colors.

Just watch Aziz Ansari's Master of None

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chillyrabbit posted:

You're aware that you would be hassled by the police for being Chinese not that long ago in pretty much all of America and Canada, and you still would be now in many places, right? Like your people were explicitly targeted by hella racist laws just as other minorities were, had their homes burned down when they weren't flat out run out of towns etc.

And all this was because they just weren't white. The term "people of color" is as much about how the whites who did the racism treated all of those minorities as bad just because they were not white, as it is about everything else. It's like how Nazis would throw people in the camps for being "Jewish" even if it was only their grandfather who had been a Jew and he hadn't even been particularly observant.

This is why your country's Census uses the term "visible minority" for nearly all who would be classified in academia as "people of color" - merely being visibly different is often enough to get someone abused, and certainly was in the past even if some of those groups are less abused today.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 29, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think I understand what you're saying, but it's a broad category to describe very general social experiences. Just like how fruit is a broad category for a bunch of different plants that have wildly different characteristics. Fruit as a category can, and should, still be studied and understood when compared to vegetables or whatever. Using broad categories, we can do some kind of science on the social realities people experience based on those categories. Like, I'm a white man so I don't experience very many visual stereotypes beyond my consumption choices, but both black and Asian people are subject to really oppressive stereotypes because they're people who aren't white. All stereotypes are not equal but the fact of stereotyping goes with whiteness, so it can be studied by using that category.

Though you don't object to the academic use, so I'm not sure if that's relevant. I think what you're saying is that categorization systems are a major part of the arbitrary oppression problem (white, gay, from the west side of poopville, whatever) and introducing another one doesn't solve that problem at all, regardless of the words used. I think I agree. But anyone who says like, "x people act like y" is generally a stupid piece of poo poo and attacking the word used for "x" seems misguided.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

AlbieQuirky posted:

It seems to originate here; the Google breadcrumbs suggest that the page once had more text about someone from MIT, perhaps Rahimi, meeting Marcus Bains in a pub in England and getting the idea from him.

drat. I'm sure I had read more of the back story, but it may have been lost to bitrot now. Seems like it should have been worth preserving. I found that link before I posted, natch, but now I fed it into the wayback machine and still no story.

I'm so interested because I have a CSS classs .marcusbains in a for-my-eyes-only app and I wanted to tell my wife the story behind it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Lollerich posted:

How do I find a thread in the archives? I know for a fact that the thread exists and I have Platinum and Archives upgrades on my account. It seems the forum's search only searches in the active forums and not the archives and the only archives that you can select for are GBS, Gas Chamber and Goldmine.

Search doesn't extend to the archives, you'll have to find it manually. Every subforum should have a box in the bottom right for you to select a date (you can just choose the year), just note that it sets that archive date for the whole forums, until you hit "Remove".

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There used to be a command in google search that let me trawl the archives or specific threads, but it stopped working for me years ago. Not sure if it was a due to a change in the forums, or if there is still a way to do it now.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Incendiary racial nomenclature is not Small / Stupid Question thread material!!!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is a USB-to-ethernet adapter likely to give high-speed internet on my laptop?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Is a USB-to-ethernet adapter likely to give high-speed internet on my laptop?

Your internet is unlikely to be faster than 480Mbps, USB2's theoretical maximum so I'd say you're good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I mean I'll call you whatever you ask me to but "people of color" has a really weird construction just in terms of where the adjectives go.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Going to attempt putting on the SJW hat for a moment: The phrase doesn't seem like it would be particularly useful outside of really broad discussions about white hegemony and the like. I can see how it would be irritating when a more specific term such as african-american would be applicable.

Edit: sort of like how calling something "problematic" is really useless because it doesn't specify what the problem is.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 29, 2017

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

HJB posted:

Search doesn't extend to the archives, you'll have to find it manually. Every subforum should have a box in the bottom right for you to select a date (you can just choose the year), just note that it sets that archive date for the whole forums, until you hit "Remove".

So there is basically no chance at all of finding anything in the archives...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lollerich posted:

So there is basically no chance at all of finding anything in the archives...

Google

hahahahaha

Library of Congress I mean

no no there is not

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This is a humdinger of a question. Is there any way to keep grass from growing on your lawn?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This is a humdinger of a question. Is there any way to keep grass from growing on your lawn?

As opposed to what? Xeriscaping? It's pretty vigorous in some preposterous and annoying ways.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

syscall girl posted:

As opposed to what? Xeriscaping? It's pretty vigorous in some preposterous and annoying ways.

I don't know what that is, but this is a way to avoid mowing cause our mower broke and we don't want to have to pay a fine to the city. I'll do anything as long as it's not expensive, even if it's dangerous or bad for our soil or whatever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I don't know what that is, but this is a way to avoid mowing cause our mower broke and we don't want to have to pay a fine to the city. I'll do anything as long as it's not expensive, even if it's dangerous or bad for our soil or whatever.

Steal a goat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh so you mean alive but not growing? That's really weird. It has to do both afaik.

Yeah, consider leasing a goat at least.

Like if you salt it down to being a yellow/brown hell is the city gonna fine you for that? Just take the gas and or oil out of the mower and use that if you can't afford literal salt.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Jeza posted:

Incendiary racial nomenclature is not Small / Stupid Question thread material!!!

Sorry, it felt like a question I was pretty sure the answer was a simple no to despite my experiences and that it was a question that cast aspersions on my intelligence, so I went to this thread. Given the variety of responses I think I'll ask elsewhere in the forums. Now for this post's stupid question:

Where on SA should I go to ask about people using racial nomenclature?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Oh so you mean alive but not growing? That's really weird. It has to do both afaik.

Yeah, consider leasing a goat at least.

Like if you salt it down to being a yellow/brown hell is the city gonna fine you for that? Just take the gas and or oil out of the mower and use that if you can't afford literal salt.

No it doesn't have to be alive. Might try that.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

At least use roundup before gasoline.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You're making some really dumb decisions if you're seriously considering that as an option. I read your posts in the plant thread - anything that's going to kill a few acres of grass is going to cost as much as buying a new mower (with the exception of gasoline I guess) and you're probably going to do major damage to your property in the process.

Why aren't you just buying a new mower?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Surely one of those old school manual mowers that you only see in cartoons wouldn't cost much. Don't chemically destroy your lawn, that's a really depressing thing to do

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think it might be pretty difficult to actually kill of all that grass, but if you do succeed, there's a good chance that some other hardier weeds will take its place. You might very quickly be stuck with a thicket of clover and dandelions.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

You can get ground covering plants that don't grow as much as grass, like creeping thyme (also lets you weed your lawn with salt), but they're not a cheaper alternative by any means.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

CrazySalamander posted:

Sorry, it felt like a question I was pretty sure the answer was a simple no to despite my experiences and that it was a question that cast aspersions on my intelligence, so I went to this thread. Given the variety of responses I think I'll ask elsewhere in the forums. Now for this post's stupid question:

Where on SA should I go to ask about people using racial nomenclature?

D&D lol, but wear your hazmat gear. You could ask in a separate A/T as well but nobody posts in those usually.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Your best inexpensive-but-not-free option is a manual rotary mower. They start at about $75, and have no further expenses except a few drops of oil every couple uses. Roundup/poison will cost more than that for an entire lawn and would turn your yard into a horrible eyesore. You could simply stop watering and let the lawn die, but you'd still have an eyesore dead lawn with a bunch of weeds.

You cannot have a non-growing, not-ugly-as-poo poo lawn for free.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=manual+rotary+mower&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=manual+rotary+mower&tbm=shop

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Jeb! Repetition posted:

See if you can borrow a friendly neighbours mower? Maybe do a little quid pro quo, when you get a mower later do their lawn.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm trying to find a thread that had a bunch of cool neo-retro sci fi stuff in it.

It wasn't the "PYF A E S T H E T I C" thread, nor the "Neon Underground" thread. What the heck was it!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What's the source of the audio clip on YTMND that went [beep beep beep beepbeepbeepBOOM]OOOOOOAAAAAAAUGH... AH HAHAHAHAHA

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jeb! Repetition posted:

A slurry made of road salt and desiel fuel.

Or just grow up and buy a mower or pay a guy to do it for you?

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 30, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who cares about an "eyesore" of a lawn. Lawn's are probably one of the worst things we spend our limited potable water resources on, and are also not even that interesting to look at, it's just another dick measuring contest for middle class white people.

e: As for killing your lawn, just buy a couple pounds of salt and pour that all over it, and then follow up with some round up, a simple coating over the entire lawn is cheap, effective, and will murder the poo poo out of it. After wards put some nice rocks in there.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 30, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Who cares about an "eyesore" of a lawn. Lawn's are probably one of the worst things we spend our limited potable water resources on, and are also not even that interesting to look at, it's just another dick measuring contest for middle class white people.

Also there is no reason to not have a half dozen old "parts cars" parked in the lawn.

But for real, if you wanna be a hillbilly, maybe don't live a neighborhood?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
My driveway has three trees along side of it, populated by aggressively territorial birds that poo poo all over my car. I watched them almost murder a hapless squirrel that dared to climb one of them. I would like these birds to kindly gently caress off, and killing them isn't really an option. I was thinking about hanging some rubber snakes in the trees, but they'll probably figure out that they aren't a threat. This is assuming I can get close enough without having to kill them in self defense anyways. What can I do to make them go away, preferably forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Cut down the trees?

Also if they are like starlings you can shoot them as much as you want.