Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He should probably have talked to Emil to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fangz posted:

He should probably have talked to Emil to be honest.

Everybody feels better after talking to Emil :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hunt11 posted:

None of the machines for obvious reasons and I doubt the resistance would appreciate being told that they are fighting for nothing.

Hence, Jackass, because she already knows, and she's the one that wrote the report that spills the beans for 9S in the first place.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Soo a while back some one posted a link to a blog post about their interpretation of nier: automata. Can any one link it again? I wanna share it with someone else.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Was it one of these?
https://tanoshimi.xyz/2017/03/21/violet-evergarden-spoilers/
https://planckstorytime.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/nier-automata-analysis/

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Hence, Jackass, because she already knows, and she's the one that wrote the report that spills the beans for 9S in the first place.

Really? Guess I never looked too closely at the documents spelling out that humanity was extinct.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hunt11 posted:

Really? Guess I never looked too closely at the documents spelling out that humanity was extinct.

Last four lines of the Machine Research Report (endgame spoilers):

quote:

Overview

While the machine lifeform network was destroyed following the collapse of the Tower, a great deal of previously unknown information regarding machine lifeforms and aliens was recovered from the wreckage. As part of this analysis, we compiled research and conjecture regarding both the machine lifeform network and the lifeform Codename N2—commonly known as the Red Girls—that was thought to have been commanding them.

- Machine lifeforms are weapons created by the aliens. The only command given for their behavior was to "defeat the enemy." However, it appears that their capacity for growth and evolution went too far, and they eventually turned on and killed their creators.

- At this point, machine lifeforms recognized that the goal of "defeating the enemy" actually REQUIRED an enemy. In order to maintain this singular objective, they reached the contradictory conclusion that their current enemies—the androids—could not be annihilated completely, lest they no longer have an enemy to defeat.

- In order to resolve this inherent contradiction, the machine lifeforms began to intentionally cause deficiencies in their network, diversifying the vectors of evolution for all machines. This is the cause behind some of the more "special" machine lifeforms, such as Pascal and the Forest King.

- Meanwhile, the deficient network began repeating a process of self-repair while incorporating surrounding information, until it finally reached a fixed state as a new form of network. Traces of information regarding human memories from the quantum server of the old model were discovered, indicating that it had integrated them during the final stages of its growth process. Said server contained a record of the discarded "Project Gestalt," as well as information on the human who was the first successful example of the Gestalt process.

- Having acquired information regarding humanity, the network's structure changed once more, becoming what might better be called a meta network (or a "concept", to borrow the words of the machines). This led directly to the formation of the ego we identify as N2.

...So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

I don't know what the point is to all this, but I swear I will kill every evolutionary dead-end machine lifeform, as well as every single rear end in a top hat behind Project YoRHa.

I'm coming for all your heads. ***** you.

Information Analysis Officer,
Jackass

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
That file is post-endgame, it isn't the report that reveals what YorHa is for to 9S. It's been a little while since I've played so I might be misremembering, isn't he actually told in person by the Commander that humanity is extinct, because he stumbled onto the files showing that the cargo launches to the Moon contain basically nothing?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Zeerust posted:

That file is post-endgame, it isn't the report that reveals what YorHa is for to 9S. It's been a little while since I've played so I might be misremembering, isn't he actually told in person by the Commander that humanity is extinct, because he stumbled onto the files showing that the cargo launches to the Moon contain basically nothing?

He stumbles on that, sure but more importantly he stumbles onto a file detailing the council of humanity being set up by project yorha, which is, well, the wrong order. Other than that, you're right. 9s confronts the commander with this knowledge and she spills the beans

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My love of jackass was cemented with the final box sorting quest so I am impressed that the game can come up with even more ways for her to be awesome.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Anything she can't blow up is going to be force-fed mackerals.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

yeah the second one was it. Thanks :D

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

yeah the second one was it. Thanks :D

I wrote that one. :3: Thanks!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nier-automata-shipments-and-digital-sales-reach-ne/1100-6450405/

1.5 million copies. Glad to see this game achieving some measure of the success it deserves. Just wish it had a better release window, what with it being sandwiched between Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda, and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arcanen posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nier-automata-shipments-and-digital-sales-reach-ne/1100-6450405/

1.5 million copies. Glad to see this game achieving some measure of the success it deserves. Just wish it had a better release window, what with it being sandwiched between Horizon: Zero Dawn, Zelda, and Mass Effect: Andromeda.

FWIW only two of those games are any good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah but ME pretty much immediately sold millions on name alone. At least I think I read it sold 2 million.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
People buying (or even pre-ordering) turds in a box sight unseen if it has the proper branding and getting what they deserve isn't particularly unusual or exciting though. Nor that there's a large number of them. Every kid has to learn that lesson at some point (or many points).

And i imagine Automata might have a longer tail on sales as titles with decent word of mouth that flew a bit under the radar often do. Especially if it goes on sale.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I agree that it'll probably have a decent tail.

Looking back through old LPs of the entire Drakenier universe, I'm still stunned that Automata was made at all. I can't imagine how it must have felt as a fan of the series when it was announced. It must be even more of a surprise for a Yoko Taro game to be a critical and financial success.

It reminds me of the Dark Souls series, where the developers kept improving the formula established in King's Field and Demon Souls until it became a pretty big series. We may start seeing Nier-likes at some point that use the same gameplay/perspective shifts.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

RoadCrewWorker posted:

And i imagine Automata might have a longer tail on sales as titles with decent word of mouth that flew a bit under the radar often do. Especially if it goes on sale.

Don't know how it is everywhere else but three months into the release Automata consistently still makes it into the top 10 game sales in Japan. It's become a real list zombie

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thinking about how i want to **** 2b

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I too want to fish, 2B.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Did 9S really just want to gently caress 2B? Androids don't have the parts for that, I assume.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Humans did make androids in their own image.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

rio posted:

Did 9S really just want to gently caress 2B? Androids don't have the parts for that, I assume.

Thinking about how much he wants to love 2B. Nothing sexual about it :colbert:.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

rio posted:

Yoko Taro clarified in a QnA that they don't, so it'd be kinda like mashing a Barbie doll and a Ken doll together.

Either way, replace it with whatever four letter word you want, there are several that fit just fine. I like 'fish'

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Or "kill."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yoko Taro clarified in a QnA that they don't, so it'd be kinda like mashing a Barbie doll and a Ken doll together.

Either way, replace it with whatever four letter word you want, there are several that fit just fine. I like 'fish'

He clarified they don't but they can get them and even simulate pregnancy, to zero end result, of course.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rio posted:

thinking about how he wants to bath 2B. She's all covered in blood and stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He is thinking about how much he wants to barf. He is a very sick boy

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Akuma posted:

Or "kill."
i first assumed "save" or "help", but that was my second choice. Besides the obvious ("hi-5") the ambiguity is the fun part about that line.

also new yoko taro interview (post game so spoilers obv)
http://kotaku.com/life-is-unfair-a-q-a-with-nier-automatas-director-1795653562

not that much new stuff but fun to read anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Alexandra: Is there something that you wish players would stop doing?

Yoko: I’d like for them to stop saying things like “shut up old hag!” to their moms and others.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Alexandra: I feel like Nier: Automata has a happier ending than Nier or Drakengard. Why do you think this is? Have you become a more optimistic person?

Yoko: Huh… I don’t really know why. I don’t think that the other games, and the previous ones, have that much of a bad ending.

Yoko Taro your first game in this saga ends with the ensured death of all of human kind

edit: and so do at least two more of them

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

That's not a bad ending it's an inevitable one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whatever you say, Taro "lets hang out" Yoko

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

quote:

Alexandra: If there is something you wish other game designers would stop doing, what would that be?

Yoko: It would help me if they would stop creating games. Having less competition would make it easier for me to do business.

Yoko "please don't buy Persona 5 you'll put me out of business" Taro at work.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
all that tells you is that you probably don't want to know what yoko taro considers an "absolutely totally extremely soulcrushingly BAD ENDing"

though i doubt hes alone in being a bit pessimistic about us human dorks being around when you fast forward 11000 years into the future

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i for one appreciate yoko taro being willing to make the good endings be miserable. though to be fair, i would say only the drakengard endings are absolutely bad

edit: okay Nier's is pretty miserable but only if you read into it, surface level its just bittersweet.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 30, 2017

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Totally unrelated but my fiancée is making me an Emil mask so I can hang out at the poolside and look like a huge weirdo.

http://imgur.com/a/bQ6aE

I got a scarf with a pretty close pattern to Emil's, though it's not quite as faded. We'll also be hooking up bluetooth speakers to the inside so that I can blast Emil's English shop theme (thanks a bunch to the person who put that together) wherever I go.

I'll barely be able to see or hear but it'll be great. She's great.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 30, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Emil

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/869627098821910529

Create music video and win signed stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this game easy and customizable with gear? This is on my to play next list with yakuza and jade empire and not sure what to choose