Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

I'm giving serious consideration to this. The guy bought it at a police auction.

That one looks pretty nice. Does the seller know much about it or done anything with it?

There's a local that I'm not sure I've linked before that's pretty decent too https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6134054494.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

That one looks pretty nice. Does the seller know much about it or done anything with it?

There's a local that I'm not sure I've linked before that's pretty decent too https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6134054494.html

He doesn't seem to know much about it. I'd show up and offer $2500 cash, maybe $3k max if it really seems good. I know the hood closes fine (the pictures show it kinda open), tires are new, odometer works, brakes and suspension all seem good. Timing belt is, as usual, a question mark.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

He doesn't seem to know much about it. I'd show up and offer $2500 cash, maybe $3k max if it really seems good. I know the hood closes fine (the pictures show it kinda open), tires are new, odometer works, brakes and suspension all seem good. Timing belt is, as usual, a question mark.

With how nice the interior looks you might luck out and land a deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Went a little high for my taste. BaT effect, I guess: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-porsche-911-carrera-5/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kimbo305 posted:

Went a little high for my taste. BaT effect, I guess: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-porsche-911-carrera-5/

God that paint is in horrible condition. So either an expensive respray, expensive detail or live with lovely paint in case non original paint lowers value?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

Holy hell, almost $31k for 240,000 miles and that paint? My '82 has half that many miles, just had the engine rebuilt, full service history and the paint's only half as bad. Also ducktail coming up next week!

The values on these things, though, crikey.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Holy hell, almost $31k for 240,000 miles and that paint? My '82 has half that many miles, just had the engine rebuilt, full service history and the paint's only half as bad. Also ducktail coming up next week!

Well then sell it to me.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

Well then sell it to me.

I don't know how much I would need to be offered to sell it but it's higher than I would admit to for fear of sounding like an idiot.

I love my baby.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I don't know how much I would need to be offered to sell it but it's higher than I would admit to for fear of sounding like an idiot.

I love my baby.

See, it's not that crazy.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

^Thread title runner up

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

See, it's not that crazy.

thechalkoutline posted:

^Thread title runner up

I feel this way about my winter tire setup.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Oh god I bought it I hope I know what I'm doing.

It's a 1986 Porsche 944 with 97k miles. I paid $2,800. Brand new Dunlop tires, brand new battery. Still has the factory tool kit and air compressor. Exterior is good from a distance, but there are of course a number of small issues. Interior is really clean. If it sits running for a few minutes it starts idling kinda rough, dropping down to a near-stall and then recovering - I'm thinking vacuum leak or idle control valve of some sort. I'm in the learning process about these cars right now.

First order of business is going to be timing belt/balance shaft belt/general tuneup.

I hope I didn't just throw my money away!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Oh god I bought it I hope I know what I'm doing.

It's a 1986 Porsche 944 with 97k miles. I paid $2,800. Brand new Dunlop tires, brand new battery. Still has the factory tool kit and air compressor. Exterior is good from a distance, but there are of course a number of small issues. Interior is really clean. If it sits running for a few minutes it starts idling kinda rough, dropping down to a near-stall and then recovering - I'm thinking vacuum leak or idle control valve of some sort. I'm in the learning process about these cars right now.

First order of business is going to be timing belt/balance shaft belt/general tuneup.

I hope I didn't just throw my money away!

Looks great, there's no way you threw money away with how well that's been maintained. I think you got a steal and the idle thing might even work itself out if it's been sitting a while. Or just don't idle it ever :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Good for you man, looks great.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That is one purdy 944, the interior looks really good. Nice pickup!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So a couple of questions:

1. How easy is the timing belt job? I've looked around online and know you need the special tools, and it really doesn't look that bad - will I be sorry I started it?
2. The aftmost spark plug looks difficult to get to, kind of hidden under the intake manifold. Is it an optical illusion? Is it accessible?
3. I noticed a kind of grinding sound when I decelerate in gear. What could this be?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

So a couple of questions:

1. How easy is the timing belt job? I've looked around online and know you need the special tools, and it really doesn't look that bad - will I be sorry I started it?
2. The aftmost spark plug looks difficult to get to, kind of hidden under the intake manifold. Is it an optical illusion? Is it accessible?
3. I noticed a kind of grinding sound when I decelerate in gear. What could this be?

1. It's doable and if it's not a DD and you have garage space you don't have much to lose. You might be able to get someone on Rennlist to help you since you're in Chicago (I think?) and they're pretty helpful.
2. No idea
3. I vaguely remember hearing it can be transmission/engine mounts since it changes the angle of the shift linkage. I noticed something similar when I was toying with the short shifter that would make more and more grinding as the angle of the linkage changed further from stock and it manifested the most when engine braking. Can you feel it through the lever or anything?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, 944 wheel locks - are they all the same? How can I go about getting a key - do I have to go through the dealership, a tire place, or can I order one off of Amazon or ebay?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know if you could even buy a replacement lock. I've always heard just hammering on a socket, removing it and putting new locks on but :shrug:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
That rear plug is a little bit of a pain but you just need a long extension, maybe a wobble. I remember it being harder to get the wire off the plug than the plug out of the head.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Well thread, don't drink and ebay. I said, hey what's throwing a single increment on a local rebuilt title 911 on ebay then went to bed. I just remembered it when I was making coffee and now I have another car I guess. 10K for a drivable 911 isn't so bad plus at least a grand in spare parts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152555955277

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 28, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice colour.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So this is how those guys end up with yard full of so many cars that they no longer need lawn mowers.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

So this is how those guys end up with yard full of so many cars that they no longer need lawn mowers.

Sure feels like it but it's made worse by having unlimited heated storage. Also my wife has staked a stronger claim on the turbo since still have the 968 and now this 911. I just took the turbo out yesterday for the first time in a couple months to take my daughter to a birthday party and holy balls I forgot how fast it is.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I thought that 911 was an absolute disaster until I realised you got it for 10k! Congratulations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willie_dee posted:

I thought that 911 was an absolute disaster until I realised you got it for 10k! Congratulations.

I'm still really surprised it went so low, I mean the drivetrain is almost worth that alone and the guy was on the right track of parts and mods. I'm really curious how the paint looks in person because a lot of pictures of arena and orient red look weird on 996 front bumpers but at worst I can have the bumper redone for almost nothing. The first thing it's getting is a full wet sanding and waxing by my paint dude because I bet it'll look amazing since arena red is such a great color.

It was obviously a labor of love for the guy and I do feel a little bad that it went so low but putting it on Ebay was his big mistake especially considering it's a rebuilt title and he volunteered a lot more info than he probably should have. Either way it should be great for cruising around in and I don't think it's possible for it to actually depreciate so I feel pretty good about the whole thing.

edit: Also I never would have even bid if it wasn't just 45 minutes away so I can check it out in person and drive it home.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 28, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ok Porsche folks fill me with your knowledge

I've been reading and browsing used car sites , and I'm a bit confused by some seemingly mis information going around

Speaking about the boxster, what years were actually effected by the ims issue , one site says anything past 2000 , another site says anything before 2000

I've found a quite nice 2001 S for quite a bit less than the others in the area, with 175k/km on it.

So if the issue hasn't been fixed it seems like it would be easy to double the cost of said car

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Ok Porsche folks fill me with your knowledge

I've been reading and browsing used car sites , and I'm a bit confused by some seemingly mis information going around

Speaking about the boxster, what years were actually effected by the ims issue , one site says anything past 2000 , another site says anything before 2000

I've found a quite nice 2001 S for quite a bit less than the others in the area, with 175k/km on it.

So if the issue hasn't been fixed it seems like it would be easy to double the cost of said car

In 2000 they went to a less robust design that caused all the main problems and didn't fix it until 06. Pre 2000 cars (and some in 2000) had dual row bearings that rarely fail but some people still retrofit. The fix costs about $2000 and should last at least 75k miles depending on what brand or style retrofit is used so it's pretty common for it to be addressed when the clutch is being done or the RMS is leaking. Figure worst case $2000 additional expense into the buying price (for IMS replacement, other things can easily get spendy also) and you're as set as you can be especially since you can see the state of the original IMS and do other things at basically part price since labor is like half the total price.

edit: unrelated but I'm picking up the 911 Tuesday. The guy apparently runs a successful business restoring VW buses but dabbles with Porsches on the side and the only accident damage was to the bumper covers which were replaced so I can't wait to get this thing. I looked his company up on facebook and saw a few in-progress pictures plus he has a few pretty nice build threads on various forums.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 29, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jymmybob posted:

In 2000 they went to a less robust design that caused all the main problems and didn't fix it until 06. Pre 2000 cars (and some in 2000) had dual row bearings that rarely fail but some people still retrofit. The fix costs about $2000 and should last at least 75k miles depending on what brand or style retrofit is used so it's pretty common for it to be addressed when the clutch is being done or the RMS is leaking. Figure worst case $2000 additional expense into the buying price (for IMS replacement, other things can easily get spendy also) and you're as set as you can be especially since you can see the state of the original IMS and do other things at basically part price since labor is like half the total price.

edit: unrelated but I'm picking up the 911 Tuesday. The guy apparently runs a successful business restoring VW buses but dabbles with Porsches on the side and the only accident damage was to the bumper covers which were replaced so I can't wait to get this thing. I looked his company up on facebook and saw a few in-progress pictures plus he has a few pretty nice build threads on various forums.

The reading suggested it was suitable to do it when doing transmission work as well, like you said.

Thanks

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If a car with the IMS bearing has been driving hard enough and often enough so that the bearing gets sufficient splash oil lubrication, it will likely be ok.
So when you drive it, make sure to wring it out a few times to do preventative maintenance. The only fix I'd fully trust is having an oil feed squirting the bearing, but in the mean time, I'm not gonna sweat it; knock on wood.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, as long as there's a price adjustment then I'd prefer an original ims because then you know if it's started to degrade before replacement, you get to choose the fix and enjoy it's full lifetime.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Over the past week or so, I slowly convinced myself that it was definitely the heater core that was busted in my 986 and that I could do the fix.
The heater core is in front of the dash but behind the empty frunk, so access is from the front, and much much easier for DIY.

The core is under that foam cover with the arrows on it.

These symptoms is spot-on: http://pedrosboard.com/read.php?7,836,871#msg-871
Ordered a Valeo heater core (which claims to be OEM, but I've never heard of) and roped a friend into helping me today.

Used this, which is the best guide I've seen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxb4w0y3incjrcc/step%201%20heater%20core%20removal.pdf

Notes for posterity:
- to pry off the wiper arms, you want to align the base of the arms (the part with splines, before the sprung hinge) to the bolt. The spring tension in the upper part of the arm will serve to tilt the lower part side sideways, locking the splines even after you've popped them off. Cost us 30 min.
- depending on your ratchets, you might want to pop the hood struts open to get more clearance to the wiper arm bolts.
- I overthought the diagram for unplugging the wiper motor harness and opened too much of the motor assembly. Just clear the retaining clips and pull the harness off.
- I had to do all the extra stuff the author needed to do, and couldn't leave off things as described by Bentley.
- I think the only way you could leave on the strut tower brace or the receiving bracket is if you willfully bent up the rear corner of fins on the heater core
- the screws in the heater core box are in a precarious location. If you drop them off over the lip of the top of the box, they'll fall into the firewall space behind the frunk, and there's almost no clearance to go in there. I learned that the hard way and had to go run out and buy a replacement. The pdf has other warnings, and I wish I'd gotten one here. I hope that screw tucks itself away safely instead of boring into the wiring harnesses down there.
- very little water came out when I unplugged the hoses from the heater core. Maybe a few tablespoons. I was expecting a lot more.
- the pdf instructions stop before the heater core replacement, but I loaded mine with distilled water, as much as could be held while dropping the core in.
- Porsche has some good design for mounting either LHD or RHD wiper assemblies to the same mount points. But in LHD orientation, an ABS accumulator (?) is totally in the way of bolting/unbolting a strut tower brace. Would be fine with a box wrench, but my ratchet was too tall. Resorted to an adjustable wrench.

Now for stuff specific to my car:
- the heater core was definitely leaking. There was buildup/residue all up and down the fins, and a small pool of coolant (not clear, so not just condensation) at the bottom of the box.
- there was a lot of scale on the sides of the box, and I decided to leave it alone. Sprayed some Febreeze in there to act as an indicator.
- topped the water reservoir with more distilled water and left the cap off, per some tip online. Went for a warmup drive
- wipers and sprayers still worked, phew
- defogging worked great, with none of that oily film developing. And it smelled like Febreze, not the old herbal medicinal smell.
- after coming back, the hoses running into the heater core were nice and hot. And dry. Water level good.
- per another tip, backed the car up onto ramps to try to encourage air to flow rear to the reservoir. Fans kicked in and kept the temp just fine.

So hopefully that's a success. I'll give it a week to shake out.

Here's where someone really abused this car. At some point, the scuttle under the wiper arms broke so that the two nuts holding the scuttle down tore through the plastic.
Some chucklefuck thought the best solution was to use self-tapping sheet metal screws to screw down (and not even in the same spot on each side!) the scuttle.

Not only did we get caught off guard when trying to take off the scuttle, but we also didn't have a better solution :(
At least I have an interesting junkyard hunt todo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I guess there had to be some job that was easier in a Porsche than a normal car. Go figure that it's the heater core.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I wish self tapping sheet metal screws were never invented except for when I need them.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So related to my earlier question , does anyone see any problems with this listing ?

I asked the local porsche mechanic I've dealt with before and he said before bringing it in to him , ask to look in the oil filter for sparkles (unless they just changed the oil) and any and all service records

I want to go take a look at it this week and coke prepared with as much knowledge as I can bring

2001 Porsche Boxster S

Edit decided to do a carproof

Looks like a US import , had an accident with no details , And spent time at an auction house early in it's life. Fleet vehicle ? So possibly something like a rental company ? That doesn't bode well

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 30, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How does Canadian sales tax on a car work, can I buy a car without paying it if I plan on smuggling (legally) it to the USA? Toyota refused to sell me a new car that was already federalized because loonie exchange rates went bad for them. It seem a lot of porsches went north and are already federalized or were federalized even if sold initially in Canada. Plus a lot of never driven in winter cars (the good 2wd ones).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

Well thread, don't drink and ebay. I said, hey what's throwing a single increment on a local rebuilt title 911 on ebay then went to bed. I just remembered it when I was making coffee and now I have another car I guess. 10K for a drivable 911 isn't so bad plus at least a grand in spare parts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152555955277

I really like that color. I imagine it looks great cleaned up and in person.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

How does Canadian sales tax on a car work, can I buy a car without paying it if I plan on smuggling (legally) it to the USA? Toyota refused to sell me a new car that was already federalized because loonie exchange rates went bad for them. It seem a lot of porsches went north and are already federalized or were federalized even if sold initially in Canada. Plus a lot of never driven in winter cars (the good 2wd ones).

At the federal level (note that most provinces may levy their own provincial or harmonized sales taxes), GST is not intended to be charged on goods destined for export.

https://www.fin.gc.ca/taxexp-depfisc/2000/taxexp00_5-eng.asp

quote:

No GST/HST applies to exported goods and services, and tax paid by exporters on their inputs is fully refundable though the input tax credit mechanism. However, in cases where there is minimal processing in Canada, the cost of financing the GST/HST paid on either imported or domestically acquired goods to be processed, as well as various component parts, can be significant in relation to the level of value added to goods. In particular, these financing charges can be significant given that the profit margins of these types of businesses are low in relation to the value of goods processed. Thus, for these types of businesses, financing the GST/HST component can increase their capital requirements, ultimately affecting the viability of locating such an operation in Canada.

ITCs are kind of a messy deal in general though and the dealership may not be willing to eat that level of poo poo for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sappo569 posted:

So related to my earlier question , does anyone see any problems with this listing ?

I asked the local porsche mechanic I've dealt with before and he said before bringing it in to him , ask to look in the oil filter for sparkles (unless they just changed the oil) and any and all service records

I want to go take a look at it this week and coke prepared with as much knowledge as I can bring

2001 Porsche Boxster S

Edit decided to do a carproof

Looks like a US import , had an accident with no details , And spent time at an auction house early in it's life. Fleet vehicle ? So possibly something like a rental company ? That doesn't bode well

The auction is nothing to be concerned about necessarily, many luxury cars are leased and if the dealer doesn't want to (or can't) sell it on their lot the leasing companies routinely auction them.

Sparkles in the oil only tell you something is really, really bad. Says nothing about the motor imploding in 5K.

Also confirm the mileage is KM and not miles. The cluster can have the digital output changed to metric, but your sweep gauges will always be imperial (unless you change the cluster) which blows. I doubt it would be 174K miles but obviously check. Even at 174Kms, that's not exactly low mileage, which in itself isn't necessarily awful (anecdotally a car with some decent miles on it seem to be fairly reliable), but that's certainly not the low end of the mileage spectrum.

Personally, I'd probably pass. I've seen Canadian spec 986s with less mileage go for around the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

The auction is nothing to be concerned about necessarily, many luxury cars are leased and if the dealer doesn't want to (or can't) sell it on their lot the leasing companies routinely auction them.

Sparkles in the oil only tell you something is really, really bad. Says nothing about the motor imploding in 5K.

Also confirm the mileage is KM and not miles. The cluster can have the digital output changed to metric, but your sweep gauges will always be imperial (unless you change the cluster) which blows. I doubt it would be 174K miles but obviously check. Even at 174Kms, that's not exactly low mileage, which in itself isn't necessarily awful (anecdotally a car with some decent miles on it seem to be fairly reliable), but that's certainly not the low end of the mileage spectrum.

Personally, I'd probably pass. I've seen Canadian spec 986s with less mileage go for around the same price.

Thanks, it is indeed in miles (I can just make out 108,000 on the cluster from one of the pictures.

The mechanic I spoke to said it's not bad and pretty average for that year of car. Which may be a good thing meaning it's been driven pretty regularly and hasn't been left to sit for years

I'll still go take a look at it and see how much they will knock the price down given it's been in an accident etc etc

At the end of the day I really wanted a 911 but can't find any below that magic $20k number