Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

I updated my dumb mod. No, not that one. The other one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6M5USNt24A

Is there a link to the mod-compatible version of PSX Doom? I can't find it and Metadoom doesn't seem to agree with the PSX Doom TC at all for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
On two different runs in Strafe I bought a piece of gear that said it would regenerate a little bit of health with every kill. I'm 99% sure it doesn't work.

The later worlds have a lot of verticality to them, especially world 2. Yet there are no flying enemies; everything tries to get on the same floor as you and attacks from the same plane. I wonder if there was something about the proc gen levels that made it too difficult for them to program flying AI. It definitely made it too difficult for them to put labels on anything.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Copper Vein posted:

On two different runs in Strafe I bought a piece of gear that said it would regenerate a little bit of health with every kill. I'm 99% sure it doesn't work.

The later worlds have a lot of verticality to them, especially world 2. Yet there are no flying enemies; everything tries to get on the same floor as you and attacks from the same plane. I wonder if there was something about the proc gen levels that made it too difficult for them to program flying AI. It definitely made it too difficult for them to put labels on anything.

I think the health regen is like 1 HP every few kills and only under 50 HP. It's a loving joke. There's only like eight items you can buy from the shops and half of them aren't worth the money. Converting scrap to credits is a waste since the only thing worth buying on a regular basis is the big shields from the scrap machines. I don't know why you even bother to make a roguelite with no loot but whatever.

And yeah the lack of labeling is ridiculous. The HUD is almost deliberately obtuse.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So I finished reading through Masters of Doom.

I think I'll try doing a reading marathon of all six Doom novels. I remember reading through the first two of the original series and then moves onto the Doom3 books afterwards.

How would ya'll rate the books?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I think I'll try doing a reading marathon of all six Doom novels. I remember reading through the first two of the original series and then moves onto the Doom3 books afterwards.

From what I remember 7 - 7 - ia ia cthulu ftaghn is about right. They go WAY off the loving rails.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I still have a soft spot for the first one but the rest of the original series... :stonklol: "off the rails" is a bit of an understatement.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Uncle Kitchener posted:

How familiar are you with the book of mormon?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RyokoTK posted:

Is there a link to the mod-compatible version of PSX Doom? I can't find it and Metadoom doesn't seem to agree with the PSX Doom TC at all for me.

Are you using The Kins's Consolation Prize mapset?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55298

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wamdoodle posted:

Are you using The Kins's Consolation Prize mapset?

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=55298

That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I couldn't remember the name.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Didn't Matthew Costello also write a couple of novels based off Doom 3?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Arivia posted:

From what I remember 7 - 7 - ia ia cthulu ftaghn is about right. They go WAY off the loving rails.

SavageMessiah posted:

I still have a soft spot for the first one but the rest of the original series... :stonklol: "off the rails" is a bit of an understatement.

good day for a bris posted:

How familiar are you with the book of mormon?

Now I'm actually both intrigued and worried I may be in something way over my head.

Max Wilco posted:

Didn't Matthew Costello also write a couple of novels based off Doom 3?

The last two were by MC. Fairly decent stuff but nothing near as strangely charming as the original Knee Deep in the Dead book.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Doom novels get really weird. Tons of Mormon poo poo, a friendly alien that looks like a "two-headed Magilla Gorilla" named Sears & Roebuck, and fights against creatures that I'm pretty sure never existed in any of the games and were called "Freddies" or something like that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i really, really do not like the doom novels

my canonical doomguy is john stalvern, not flynn taggart

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i really, really do not like the doom novels

my canonical doomguy is john stalvern, not flynn taggart

No, Flynn. You are the demons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Doom novels are the absolute epitome of "I have to stretch this one cited source into an entire five page essay and it's due in 6 hours".

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

wasn't there some insanely dumb thing in it where demon shaped aliens hate humans because humans are the only race who can die whereas everyone else has to be a rotting corpse forever?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Revenants wear pants in the novels. I don't think more needs to be said.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think my favorite part of the original Doom novel and I think the second one is that most scenes in the book read like someone straight-faced describing an actual Doom level while pretending it makes sense as a real place. The first book especially is half someone playing Doom and describing the various rooms in fairly good detail, and then half that generic sci-fi story hastily grafted on with characters.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I want this as a mod. Just put modest khaki slacks on Imps and Pinkies. Do Barons wear pants already? I'm not sure. Look I'm just an ideas guy.

fishmech posted:

I think my favorite part of the original Doom novel and I think the second one is that most scenes in the book read like someone straight-faced describing an actual Doom level while pretending it makes sense as a real place. The first book especially is half someone playing Doom and describing the various rooms in fairly good detail, and then half that generic sci-fi story hastily grafted on with characters.
Somebody throw up some excerpts because it would validate a lot of life decisions if I can nail a Doom map from a text description. Although if it ain't in E1 then the chances plummet pretty hard.

In short: you idiots are making this cash-in garbage sound loving great.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

wasn't there some insanely dumb thing in it where demon shaped aliens hate humans because humans are the only race who can die whereas everyone else has to be a rotting corpse forever?

Oh man I don't remember that but I do remember something like the aliens/demons invading earth with the expectation of mankind being a lot further back technologically speaking. Like they saw us during the medieval period and assumed we'd be on a slower trajectory, with pitchforks and muskets instead of missiles and plasma rifles.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
The Doom novels are not good by any means, but they are incredibly fun to read just because of how totally out of loving left-field so much stuff is.

I distinctly remember in the second book the only bastion of humanity left on the barren, desolate apocalyptic Earth is barricaded in Salt Like City in the Mormon Church, and eventually Doomguy becomes a Mormon himself, praying for others and reading the book of Mormon before going to bed so he can get up early to help kill demons and tend to the farms.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

Solomon Grundy want pants too!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

This is canon.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh man I don't remember that but I do remember something like the aliens/demons invading earth with the expectation of mankind being a lot further back technologically speaking. Like they saw us during the medieval period and assumed we'd be on a slower trajectory, with pitchforks and muskets instead of missiles and plasma rifles.

i just remember it being like, the aliens were all mad at humans over being able to die, because when they died they would just stay in their corpse and their friends would prop them up in a movie theatre so they'd be entertained.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Douk Douk posted:

The Doom novels are not good by any means, but they are incredibly fun to read just because of how totally out of loving left-field so much stuff is.

I distinctly remember in the second book the only bastion of humanity left on the barren, desolate apocalyptic Earth is barricaded in Salt Like City in the Mormon Church, and eventually Doomguy becomes a Mormon himself, praying for others and reading the book of Mormon before going to bed so he can get up early to help kill demons and tend to the farms.

Lmao what the gently caress

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Regular Nintendo posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

Douk Douk posted:

I distinctly remember in the second book the only bastion of humanity left on the barren, desolate apocalyptic Earth is barricaded in Salt Like City in the Mormon Church

Only this part is true. Can't decide if that's better or worse.

EDIT: Also it's not the last bastion of humanity, it's the last bastion of FREE humanity. There's a big attack while the main characters are there and the first wave is either IRS or DEA "shock troops" lmao.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

Only this part is true. Can't decide if that's better or worse.

EDIT: Also it's not the last bastion of humanity, it's the last bastion of FREE humanity. There's a big attack while the main characters are there and the first wave is either IRS or DEA "shock troops" lmao.

Are you saying that somebody published a book where Doomguy fights the IRS?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I'm just gonna copy and paste this from the Doom Wiki ("Doom novels" article) because it kind of defies credulity.

quote:

Over the next month, the two build their spacecraft, but as the oxygen runs low they start to hallucinate, and run out of food. They fly their shuttle into re-entry, managing to survive the trip, eventually landing several miles away from Salt Lake City. A walk of several days leads them into that city, and allows them to learn the truth - humanity is now an endangered species. Salt Lake City is one of the few human resistance strongholds, as it turns out that the Mormons had devised a survival plan and stockpiled years' worth of supplies in preparation for just such an event.

Arlene expresses displeasure over their surroundings, as her brother had converted to Mormonism during his own downward spiral in life. Fly makes things worse when he contacts Marine HQ. As it turns out, the world's governments turned traitor and sided with the invading aliens to spare themselves from destruction, bringing along their military branches. Within hours, armed forces from the Marines, FBI, Army, ATF, and IRS (a "revenue collection" armed branch) attack the city.

The President of the Twelve, leader of the Mormon resistance, is displeased by Fly and Arlene's failure. However, he offers them a chance to make amends by leading a team into Los Angeles to recover vital information, disable the aliens' shields, and fly the information to a Marine resistance center in Hawaii. With them will be Albert Gallatin, an ex-Marine sniper and converted Mormon, and Jill Lovelace, a fourteen-year-old former computer hacker who lost her parents in the invasion.

The book follows their trip west. On the trip, Arlene falls in love with Albert despite his religion. Jumping a train headed west, the team kills a spider mastermind and a cyberdemon and recovers the monsters' human hostage - Ken, a young man with numerous computer implants in his body. Reaching Los Angeles, they find that the chemical brew that turns corpses into zombies is made by stoners and other drug addicts, those allowed to remain alive by the aliens for turning traitor.

This is all from the second novel out of four.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Meat Beat Agent posted:

I'm just gonna copy and paste this from the Doom Wiki ("Doom novels" article) because it kind of defies credulity.

Pls queue up 'Knee Deep in the Dead' in a YouTube tab to play as you read this.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Meat Beat Agent posted:

All the nostalgic lols

I think the best part of the 2nd book is where Fly tells Arlene the tale of teenaged Fly building a car from spare parts as a prelude to building a rocket to get out of earth orbit (where deimos has been parked). He hallucinates a demon when they are reentering and the demon decries water as "that stuff fish fornicate in" and says that the only thing worth drinking is bourbon or something like that.

His astonishment at getting punched out by a skeleton in red shorts is pretty precious too. It's an awful book but it's short and thus probably worth the read just for the insanity that ensues.

EDIT: I can't believe how much of this crap I can remember.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The Doom novels are a fun read, even if they go off the rails and stray from the games, but that's half the fun!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Doom Novel Insanity

There's no way that this wasn't some rear end in a top hat's unpublished drivel that someone paid him to do a Find-Replace of "Satan's Minion" to "Cyberdemon".

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
this makes me feel a lot better about reading the elder scrolls novels.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow that book series goes off the rails. The first one is just kind of unoffensively poorly written. It does include some pretty faithful recreations of thing in the actual games (a dark room with former humans that is also full of explosive barrels, Fly has a shotgun, could have been pulled right out of the Doom comic), a pretty good description of what swimming through the "Toxic Waste" does to you, and Fly's brain temporarily breaking the first time he sees a lost soul (the flying skulls, his entire train of thought just derails as one ambles past him, and then he just runs like hell the other direction).

Also the Demon Dick Switch.

Counterpoint: Everything related to Arlene. Ughhhhhhh...

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I'm sorry, but what I am piecing together from all these Doom book posts is that the protagonist of the Doom books is not Doomguy.

If that's true... what the gently caress?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
He is absolutely not Doomguy. He gives entirely too many fucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

the nucas posted:

this makes me feel a lot better about reading the elder scrolls novels.

Wait, there are Elder Scrolls novels? Is Michael Kirkbride involved whatsoever? If not, I don't care.

Edit: also, I always thought that Doom was a great example of a pro-church endeavour. I mean, you're fighting demons from hell. Catholicism and Mormonism should get the gently caress onboard.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 31, 2017

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Baptism Faith Gun

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, there are Elder Scrolls novels? Is Michael Kirkbride involved whatsoever? If not, I don't care.

Edit: also, I always thought that Doom was a great example of a pro-church endeavour. I mean, you're fighting demons from hell. Catholicism and Mormonism should get the gently caress onboard.

That's something I've always been amused by, is how often Doom was demonized by conservative and religious groups (back when the edgiest thing seemed to be Bart Simpson telling people to eat his shorts) despite the fact that the entire game focuses on a redblooded U.S. Marine waging a one-man-war on the perceived forces of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's something I've always been amused by, is how often Doom was demonized by conservative and religious groups (back when the edgiest thing seemed to be Bart Simpson telling people to eat his shorts) despite the fact that the entire game focuses on a redblooded U.S. Marine waging a one-man-war on the perceived forces of Hell.

It's like how Black Sabbath got a reputation as a Satanic evil band even though they wrote songs overtly promoting faith in Jesus. Or Harry Potter was teaching kids to become necromancers despite being like the most squeaky clean, non objectionable poo poo of all time. Occult theme + popularity freaks out religious nuts because it treads on the heels of the narratives they pitch to their kids.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yes, no, and you're right not to. They are well poo poo.