Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Turnout of Registered Democrats in 2008 was higher than 60%.

Is there any subgroup of reasonable size that has topped 80% in any election since 2000? Like, white people, rich white people, registered republicans, registered rich republicans, any at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

mynnna posted:

You know how there was that article...somewhere, I can't for the life of me recall where...a few years ago that was a look into how the tea party was basically a huge grifting operation, sucking craploads of money out of gullible idiots?

You're thinking of this one, probably: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

here's what Democrats need to win a resounding victory:

(1) registered independents continue to despise Trump
(2) young people and minorities start voting in levels that approach the levels that old white people vote in

80% turnout among registered democrats is neither a reasonable goal nor really a well-targeted goal (as a large number of people who lean democratic among the young are actually registered independents)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

here's what Democrats need to win a resounding victory:

(1) registered independents continue to despise Trump
(2) young people and minorities start voting in levels that approach the levels that old white people vote in

80% turnout among registered democrats is neither a reasonable goal nor really a well-targeted goal (as a large number of people who lean democratic among the young are actually registered independents)

I think both those things are less likely than 80% turnout of registered Dems...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Election Day could be a mandatory holiday with a polling station at the end of every single block and we still wouldn't get close to 80% turnout. It just doesn't happen.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mcmagic posted:

I think both those things are less likely than 80% turnout of registered Dems...

Then I guess it's time to hang em up for good

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/869532150760165377

so the ukraine is now shitposting at russia

how did we get here?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Election Day could be a mandatory holiday with a polling station at the end of every single block and we still wouldn't get close to 80% turnout. It just doesn't happen.

Again, not 80% turnout in general. I'm talking about just democratic partisans.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

Is there any subgroup of reasonable size that has topped 80% in any election since 2000? Like, white people, rich white people, registered republicans, registered rich republicans, any at all.

Turnout for senior voters over 65 was 71%, and I bet that if you drilled down (senior white Republicans in certain states) it would probably top 80%.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/black-election-turnout-down-2016-census-survey-238226

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

how did we get here?

Why are they posting at each other in English?

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
meme lingua franca

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lightning Lord posted:

I actually wonder if we're going to see a kind of civil war in Oath Keeper/III% world, like which ones are actually antigov and which are just authoritarian. Like that dude who wanted to arm BLM

All of the right wing militias are authoritarian. They are 'anti-gov' in that they hate government when it's run by Democrats or otherwise isn't empowering white (christian) people at the expense of all others. There might be some members of groups like the Oathkeepers who are naive idiots that think the groups are truly anti-gov and that it'd stand up against a far right autocrat but they are a tiny minority and would fall in line with the rest of the group if push comes to shove.

RuanGacho posted:

As terrible as cops can be, I'm pretty sure theyre not going to be ok with active militia groups causing their jurisdictions to call 911 constantly because Ya'llQueda is wandering the streets.

Considering how many cops are in militia groups, you'd be wrong.

Lightning Lord posted:

Btw I am convinced that the antigov militias will fight each other, at least a bit. They aren't just going to become FBI 2.0 overnight.

That's because you're naive and think that the militias are anti-government when they aren't. Groups like the OKs and IIIers are 100% on board with far right ideals and a far right government.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I can't believe the downfall of civilization will be from Internet memes

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Likely voters, probably :smug:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Skellybones posted:

Russians can't read Ukrainian, a doy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blitz7x posted:

I can't believe the downfall of civilization will be from Internet memes

Really? Because that's kind of the only thing from the last year or so that actually makes sense to me.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For real, though, national elections should have polling open Friday-Monday, be open 8am-8pm, double the polling places, and require employers to allot time for scheduled employees to be able to go vote if they work all 4 of the available days.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Skellybones posted:

They're for promoting tourism. Ukraine's has a cheeky intern it seems.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Skellybones posted:

Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

For real, though, national elections should have polling open Friday-Monday, be open 8am-8pm, double the polling places, and require employers to allot time for scheduled employees to be able to go vote if they work all 4 of the available days.

Man, I wonder why things aren't like that. It's almost like there's one party that only wants old white people with leaded-gasoline-induced brain damage to vote...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Chilichimp posted:

Elections should just follow the Vote By Mail model, which offers increased accessibility, security, and accountability, as well as significant cost savings.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

one of the many structural changes that democrats need to force through in 2020 if they retake control (as the Federal government has the explicit authority to regulate the time, place, and manner of elections)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

how did we get here?

1) It's Ukraine, not "the" Ukraine
2) The two countries have been at an undeclared war for over 3 years now, with over 10,000 dead, and something like 3 million refugees.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

one of the many structural changes that democrats need to force through in 2020 if they retake control (as the Federal government has the explicit authority to regulate the time, place, and manner of elections)

There should be a "Voters Bill of Rights" ready to go on Day 1 of the next Democratic presidency using the ALEC model of legislating... I wonder if there is.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

evilweasel posted:

the republicans are going to stop passing terrible health care bills and cutting taxes on the rich, and trump is going to become sane? good to know

They are probably going to give up on health care, and as long as the tax cuts for the rich toss a few breadcrumbs the middle class, your rank and file GOP voter will be as loyal and motivates as ever. Even if they pass the AHCA as is, until it fully kicks in, and people see their loved ones lose their insurance and die, you are not going to get a wave that carries the Democrats to power. Sure there are some vulnerable seats that the GOP might lose, but between gerrymandering, a massive financial advantage, and voters that are immune to facts, they will likely still have a comfortable majority after the 2018 election, and an expanded lead in the Senate.

We are still in this mad period of the Trump transition, but people are going to tune out, and anger in places outside of the big cities is going to die down. This is the peak of the anti-Trump mania, and its still not enough for Democrats to win a single special election with all of that energy behind them. How much better do you think they will do when people have grown numb to politics by November 2018? I wouldn't be surprised if infrastructure is being held for 2018 so the tone of the election will be all about bipartisan support for Donald Trump's plan to rebuild America.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fulchrum posted:

In years past, then the skills learned at the lower levels were essential for a POTUS. Wheeling and dealing across the aisles, winning them over with charm and knowledge of where the bodies are buried, these were finely honed skills. THe problem is that those skills are utterly and completely obsolete in the modern political era. Bipartisanship and working across the aisle is well and truly dead. Hell, they actively hurt you - look at Obama. It is undeniable that his belief in bipartisanship and cooperation were huge flaws that cost him a lot.

I don't think Zuckerberg would be a good Executive but this paragraph is pretty spot on. The problem is, campaigning on this principle overtly as a Dem would cost any candidate a chance at winning the Presidential primary. Progressives haven't bought in to realpolitik yet, so finding a candidate that gives lip service to cooperation the way Obama did but will also completely ignore it as a strategy on Day 1 is imperative but also very difficult.

We're in a pretty tough spot.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/869587445259452417

ABC posted:

Russia investigation expands to include Donald Trump's personal attorney

One of President Donald Trump’s closest confidants, his personal lawyer Michael Cohen, has now become a focus of the expanding Congressional investigation into Russian efforts to influence the 2016 campaign.

Cohen confirmed to ABC News that House and Senate investigators have asked him “to provide information and testimony” about any contacts he had with people connected to the Russian government, but he said he has turned down the invitation.

“I declined the invitation to participate as the request was poorly phrased, overly broad and not capable of being answered,” Cohen told ABC News in an email Tuesday.

After Cohen rejected the Congressional requests for cooperation, the Senate Select Intelligence Committee voted unanimously on Thursday to grant the chairman, Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina, and ranking Democrat, Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, blanket authority to issue subpoenas as they deem necessary.

While much of the media focus in recent days has fallen on Russian contacts made by Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, there are few people closer to the president than his longtime lawyer. Insiders consider Cohen to be Trump’s “pitbull” or “consigliere” for his role in threatening legal action against Trump critics, gaining notoriety for threatening and browbeating reporters investigating Trump’s background.

He was quoted in 2015 telling Daily Beast reporters “I will take you for every penny you still don’t have. And I will come after your Daily Beast and everybody else that you possibly know … So I’m warning you, tread very f—ing lightly, because what I’m going to do to you is going to be f—ing disgusting.”

In a 2016 appearance on CNN that went viral, the stone-faced attorney flashed anger when anchor Brianna Keiler said the Trump campaign was “down.”

“Says who?” Cohen challenged. When she cited polls, Cohen countered, “Which polls?” She replied, “All of them.” Cohen’s final response in that exchange proved prescient: "You're going to all be very surprised when he polls substantially higher than what you all are giving him credit for."

After the 2016 campaign, Cohen left The Trump Organization to become the president’s personal attorney, a job he still holds. From that post, Cohen has continued to weigh in on Trump’s behalf on Twitter and during occasional television appearances.

After Trump dismissed FBI Director James Comey, for example, Cohen tweeted: “I believe @POTUS was justified in terminating #Comey as @FBI director. #RT if you agree with me!”

Cohen was also made a deputy national finance chairman of the Republican National Committee, a position that gives him some sway on how money will be allocated to Republican candidates. And in April, Cohen announced he had formed a “strategic alliance” with the powerful DC lobbying firm Patton Boggs, a firm whose clients include Russia’s third largest bank, Gazprombank. The arrangement enabled Cohen to work out of Squire Patton Boggs’ offices in New York, Washington and London, according to the announcement.

The emergence of Cohen as a subject of the Senate probe brings renewed attention to a strident Trump advocate who had been named in the unverified dossier prepared by a former British intelligence agent during the 2016 campaign and provided by the FBI to Sen. John McCain, which contains a number of unconfirmed allegations that Cohen played a role in working with the Russians on the hack of the Democratic party during the campaign.

In January, Cohen told ABC News the allegations in the dossier were “laughably false.” Cohen’s wife is Ukrainian, and he once worked with her family in Ukraine to establish an ethanol business. ABC News was able to debunk some references to Cohen in the unverified document, such as the assertion in the that Cohen’s Ukrainian-born father-in-law had a vacation home, or dacha, near Russian President Vladimir Putin’s.

“I don’t even think my father-in-law has ever been to Moscow,” Cohen told ABC News earlier this year. “I wonder who’s living in the dacha.”

Another suggestion in those documents — that Cohen supposedly met with the Russians in Prague last August — is also false, he said. President-elect Trump pushed back against the claim in a wide-ranging news conference held in January, saying that he saw Cohen’s passport himself.

“I said, ‘I want to see your passport.’ He brings his passport to my office. I say, ‘Hey, wait a minute. He didn't leave the country. He wasn't out of the country.’ They had Michael Cohen of the Trump Organization was in Prague. It turned out to be a different Michael Cohen,” Trump said. “It's a disgrace what took place. It's a disgrace and I think they ought to apologize to start with Michael Cohen.”

Democrats in Congress have argued it is conceivable he entered Europe through another country – he was in Italy on vacation around the time the dossier alleges he was in Prague – and his passport would not receive a stamp for crossing the border, but no proof of any such trip has been produced.

“I’ve never actually walked the land in Prague,” Cohen told ABC News. “And last August I was not in Prague.”

Congressional investigators involved in the widening probe already have identified four Trump campaign advisors as persons of interest because of their interactions with Russian officials. Only one of them, Gen. Michael Flynn, has received a subpoena for records. Flynn, who served briefly as Trump’s National Security Adviser, declined to provide records, citing his Fifth Amendment rights.

Lawmakers have also asked former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, informal advisor Roger Stone, and former foreign policy adviser Carter Page to voluntarily hand over relevant records. All three men have said publicly they are producing records and cooperating with investigators.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

evilweasel posted:

How do you define "subgroup"? Registered voters in Washington topped 80%, in 2004, 2008, and 2012.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/voter-participation.aspx

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There's going to be Spicey time today. I thought the Spicer show was cancelled.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

1) It's Ukraine, not "the" Ukraine
2) The two countries have been at an undeclared war for over 3 years now, with over 10,000 dead, and something like 3 million refugees.

I legit wonder what the next target for expansionist Russia is going to be. Estonia and Latvia, or just loving invade the rest of Ukraine as the Americans bail from NATO?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hello, I'm a registered Democrat in GA-06 and I just completed early voting, putting a vote towards John Ossoff. AMA!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

With those stipulations there's still a chance I wouldn't be able to vote, for instance. My shifts are up to 16 hours long and getting a 20m break during that just to eat can sometimes be a challenge. And mandatory holidays mean dick for tons of professions. Only way I can have my voting rights secured is at-will mail-in or early voting. I used vacation time to ensure I'd be off to vote for Hillary.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your Taint posted:

They just cut their episode order

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Ramos posted:

Hello, I'm a registered Democrat in GA-06 and I just completed early voting, putting a vote towards John Ossoff. AMA!

Why do you hate America?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Says who?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I am curious to see if it has spread to trump himself yet?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm out. Good luck with King Idiot Drumpf, everybody.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Taint posted:

It'll be a lovely version like every other show they necromance up.

Looking at you, Futurama.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ramos posted:

What if Ossoff bodyslams a reporter and breaks his glasses? What then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kaal posted:

Elections should just follow the Vote By Mail model, which offers increased accessibility, security, and accountability, as well as significant cost savings.

what did turnout out end up being like in Washington, Colorado, etc

• Locked thread