Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hunter Strickland is an enormous bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

YeahTubaMike posted:

I enjoy watching Harper getting clocked regardless, because he tries so hard to be Mr. Testosterone. There's a grand ol' list of People Who Are Projecting A Little Too Much, and he's right under the current leader of the free(?) world.

No reason to throw at him, though.

(Edit: Okay after seeing the SF footage I have to believe Strickland is the bigger bitch because it took three guys struggling to pull him out of the crowd long after only one person pulled Bryce away.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 30, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Apparently Strickland hit Also-Named-Hunter Pence for trying to drag him out of the fight. What is it about Bryce that makes people attack their own team?

The only thing I loved about this fiasco is it's the first time I can remember bad sports talk personalities defending the hitter, specifically when it comes to Bryce Harper.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Kirios posted:

Should I go to the SS All Star game in Hillsboro this year? I live here, and none of the teams are even affiliated with the Astros, but it seems like a dumb thing to take part of.

Plus, that Hops logo is the best.

I'm ashamed that I had no idea the all star game was here. I've been meaning to go to a game and that might be a great one to see.

PS hi neighbor

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Intruder posted:

Carlos Correa started the season cold, in his first 19 games: .197/.286/.295

Since?

.360/.429/.595

Get

the

gently caress

in

(.427 babip so yeah yeah)

e: Ah this doesn't even include today

In more Devon Travis posting by me, he finished April with a line of .130/.193/.195. Since, he's gone .380/.389/.652 to bring his season line up to a no longer disappointing .266/.298/.444. He's literally doubled his average and slugging in a month.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Justin Smoak leads the Jays hitters in WAR.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why in the hell are some of you even acting like batter pitcher drama that results in fistfighting isn't one of the best things in baseball?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You know what the play of the year was last year?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bewbies posted:

why in the hell are some of you even acting like batter pitcher drama that results in fistfighting isn't one of the best things in baseball?

Batter-pitcher drama that results in people getting beaten up for being good at baseball is "one of the best things in baseball" in the sense that it is not literally the absolutely worst thing in baseball.

The absolute worst thing in baseball is Joe West.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can be joe west when you have been around for as long as joe west imo. gently caress vick carapazza.

Punches better than beans.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

YeahTubaMike posted:

Batter-pitcher drama that results in people getting beaten up for being good at baseball is "one of the best things in baseball" in the sense that it is not literally the absolutely worst thing in baseball.

Goddammit I'm hungover as hell and I've been reading this analysis for ten minutes.

wait it means that it's not good but not the worst thing in baseball, i think

i'm making a denver omlette

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 30, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Walrus posted:

Punches better than beans.

I'd be ok with baseball doing the hockey thing and just gentlemanly inviting a fight without bothering to throw a beanball. Just agree and throw down.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Plunking a dude because you loving suck at pitching is the ultimate bitchmade move :lol:

e: The deceptive helmet toss may have been my favorite thing ever.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tom Gorman posted:

Goddammit I'm hungover as hell and I've been reading this analysis for ten minutes.

wait it means that it's not good but not the worst thing in baseball, i think

i'm making a denver omlette

That guy said that batter-pitcher drama was one of the best things in baseball. I posit that it's not LITERALLY the worst thing, therefore semantically it can considered "one of the best things". I hope that clears it up.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

YeahTubaMike posted:

That guy said that batter-pitcher drama was one of the best things in baseball. I posit that it's not LITERALLY the worst thing, therefore semantically it can considered "one of the best things". I hope that clears it up.

I'm post omlette + coffee now so this makes sense and I technically agree. Thanks YTM.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The worst thing in baseball is God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Traxis posted:

The worst thing in baseball is God Bless America during the 7th inning stretchHawk Harrelson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

YeahTubaMike posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

Plunking a dude because you loving suck at pitching is the ultimate bitchmade move :lol:

e: The deceptive helmet toss may have been my favorite thing ever.

:same:

lol he threw at Harper for hitting homeruns off him two loving years ago or whatever it was

Craptacular! posted:

I enjoy watching Harper getting clocked regardless, because he tries so hard to be Mr. Testosterone. There's a grand ol' list of People Who Are Projecting A Little Too Much, and he's right under the current leader of the free(?) world.

No reason to throw at him, though.

(Edit: Okay after seeing the SF footage I have to believe Strickland is the bigger bitch because it took three guys struggling to pull him out of the crowd long after only one person pulled Bryce away.)

I bet you were on Papelbon's side after the choking incident

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 30, 2017

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Batters should start charging the mound after dramatic strike outs imho. If the pitcher's circular walk around the mound is a little too long.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm post omlette + coffee now so this makes sense and I technically agree. Thanks YTM.

Any time :)

Traxis posted:

Oh drat, I forgot about that.

Intruder posted:

:same:

lol he threw at Harper for hitting homeruns off him two loving years ago or whatever it was

Asdrúbal Cabrera got thrown at (jury is out on whether or not it was intentional, but it went over his head) by the guy he hit that double-handed batflip walkoff homer off of last year, and he didn't even realize it was the same guy until after he was asked about it by the media.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Traxis posted:

Sky Dome 7th inning stretch is da best

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Zigmidge posted:

OK! (OK!)
Blue Jays! (Blue Jays!)
Let's! Play! Ball!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Easy, clean and fun for the whole family in between spats of throwing garbage at players!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Traxis posted:

I can understand doing it on Memorial Day or the 4th of July, but why the gently caress do they have to do it every drat week?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

I can understand doing it on Memorial Day or the 4th of July, but why the gently caress do they have to do it every drat week?

are you saying you want God to bless Russia instead? wow

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So uh this popped up in the TFF chat thread

https://twitter.com/barry/status/869572620102094849

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

So uh this popped up in the TFF chat thread

https://twitter.com/barry/status/869572620102094849

:wtc:

Somewhere, Awful Announcing is prepping a special edition of "Takes of the Week", despite the fact they DQ'ed Whitlock already because he was always the top one.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Traxis posted:

another great thing about the Blue Jays.

Zigmidge posted:

yes but I could do without the rendition of take me out to the ballgame, ok blue jays should be more than enough.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Hunter strickland is a douche and an instigator but lol if you really can't get some amount of enjoyment out of bryce harper getting smacked every once in awhile

and yeah a 'deceptive' helmet throw, that's what it was :lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

NiceGuy posted:

Hunter strickland is a douche and an instigator but lol if you really can't get some amount of enjoyment out of bryce harper getting smacked every once in awhile

and yeah a 'deceptive' helmet throw, that's what it was :lol:

I like Bryce Harper, why would I want him to get smacked?

He gets poo poo for being a bro or whatever but everything he's ever said in the media I've agreed with so far.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Harper is really really good at baseball and isn't fake humble about it, so what

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Harper is really really good at baseball and isn't fake humble about it, so what

It's just more No True Scotsman bullshit. There's still a sizable contingent of writers and fans who yearn for the 1920s, when players were seen and not heard. I had a co-worker in Baltimore who would wistfully say moronic things like, "If only we could go back to the days of a real commissioner, like Judge Landis."

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Kyle Schwarber has over 300k All-Star votes :lol:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

NiceGuy posted:

As someone who's supposed to hate the Nats, I don't want to see people intentionally hurting each other for any reason. How is this so difficult to understand?

Granted, there are certain people I'd care less about if they got hurt (Papelbon, Utley, etc.), but Bryce Harper did absolutely nothing wrong and he was attacked literally just for doing his job. Even if I didn't like Bryce Harper, where would I find satisfaction in that? It's ridiculous.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Let batters whip a bat back at the pitcher

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why am I supposed to dislike Bryce Harper again?

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Cause he's confident or something.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He made Papelbon look like the gigantic baby he is. How could you not like Bryce?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think fighting is dumb but I'm glad Bryce started a brawl, because maybe it will get the league to continue to look at how dumb intentional bean balls are and actually provide some sort of real consequence for them. Especially when the reason is "this guy slammed two dingers real far against me two years ago, gently caress him."

He has also been pretty outspoken about how stupid intentional bean balls are (I think). So what he did goes in line with "hey gently caress these pitchers that intentionally bean you and receive no consequence for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

Why am I supposed to dislike Bryce Harper again?

Because he's good at baseball and he knows it, apparently.

Meanwhile known rear end in a top hat Daniel Murphy goes mostly un-hated. Shameful.

• Locked thread