Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah, isn't D.va classed as a bruiser? And yet she does gently caress all damage but is tanky as gently caress.

I assume the argument is that she has low HP (for a warrior) and no hard CC or strong peeling abilities. I'm not sure if I agree with that or not, but she's a lot less of a tank than Varian at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

blastron posted:

Spoken like someone who's never lost a game because their Li Li talented exclusively into Cloud Serpent, leaving her Healing Brews basically homeopathic.

ive won a bunch of games as li li speccing for cloud serpent because i like to give people pet snakes

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

They literally nerfed lili not too long ago because she was really good in double support comps and could talent for dps pretty well lol

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Master Skin Li Li is OP because she opens up her umbrella when she uses her ultimate

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Got Azmodunk out of a lootbox :getin:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Ciaphas posted:

I have a problem

I know the feeling buddy.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I was literally coming here to ask "yo how do you deal with Varian in QM bullshit match-ups" to find 2 pages of Varian-chat.

So annoying... :negative:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

blastron posted:

Spoken like someone who's never lost a game because their Li Li talented exclusively into Cloud Serpent, leaving her Healing Brews basically homeopathic.

Yeah, the argument here isn't "They can take a talent that takes away their heal button/reduces their armor and health," it's that they have builds and talents that let them branch out if they're the 2nd support or tank/need less heal throughput, or bruisers that are not tanks but can (sometimes) be built for extra survivability that are still considered full tank by the QM matchmaker. And if that support or warrior is your only character in that role and goes full "Non-tank/non-heal" spec you're down a tank if the other team has one that built for tanking or healing.

That build diversity or ability to cover other gaps is good by the way! It's just bullshit that they consider Dehaka, Leo, or Artanis inherently more tank than Varian because "what if he doesn't take the right ult?" Because Reghar can go entirely butt-bite, but it doesn't make him not a healer support!

edit: I'm also fine with them leaving D.va as not a tank if their position is "We're going to reclassify QM matchmaker so all bruisers count as 'tank-lite' in QM, just like a few of the characters we currently do weird stuff with matchmaker on. We won't match a team with a heal-lite and/or tank-lite against a traditional comp until you hit the 300 second mark. We're just taking a bit more time fixing it with existing characters, but new characters are properly flagged"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 30, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Oh hey, Genji from a 250g re-roll. :stoked:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, the argument here isn't "They can take a talent that takes away their heal button/reduces their armor and health," it's that they have builds and talents that let them branch out if they're the 2nd support or tank/need less heal throughput, or bruisers that are not tanks but can (sometimes) be built for extra survivability that are still considered full tank by the QM matchmaker. And if that support or warrior is your only character in that role and goes full "Non-tank/non-heal" spec you're down a tank if the other team has one that built for tanking or healing.

That build diversity or ability to cover other gaps is good by the way! It's just bullshit that they consider Dehaka, Leo, or Artanis inherently more tank than Varian because "what if he doesn't take the right ult?" Because Reghar can go entirely butt-bite, but it doesn't make him not a healer support!

edit: I'm also fine with them leaving D.va as not a tank if their position is "We're going to reclassify QM matchmaker so all bruisers count as 'tank-lite' in QM, just like a few of the characters we currently do weird stuff with matchmaker on. We won't match a team with a heal-lite and/or tank-lite against a traditional comp until you hit the 300 second mark. We're just taking a bit more time fixing it with existing characters, but new characters are properly flagged"

Varian is a more extreme case compared to other heroes speccing to be good at other roles and less good at their "primary" role because not only do his ultimates define what he is, they also wildly swing his statistics. A Taunt Varian has 40% more health and 15 more armor than a Colossus Smash Varian/30% more health and 15 more armor than a Twin Blades Varian, dramatically altering how bulky he is and his ability to reasonably soak up punishment and front line even without considering the massive loss of peel/lockdown that not having Taunt represents. An Artanis who specs Amateur Opponent and Titan Killer doesn't suddenly lose 30% of his life bar.

It's a thorny problem. Flagging Varian as a tank caused problems, and flagging Varian as a non-tank is causing debatably worse problems. I don't think there's a way to comfortably fix it without an awkward hard lock preventing him from taking Taunt if the enemy team doesn't have a "real" tank.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
All complaints about flagging heroes can be answered with play unranked

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

It's a thorny problem. Flagging Varian as a tank caused problems, and flagging Varian as a non-tank is causing debatably worse problems. I don't think there's a way to comfortably fix it without an awkward hard lock preventing him from taking Taunt if the enemy team doesn't have a "real" tank.

The only fix would be redesigning Varian so his Fury and Arms damage is lowered and baking the Taunt health (but not armour) into his baseline, making Varian into a warrior who chooses between tank or bruiser instead of picking between tank and Assassin.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

E2M2 posted:

All complaints about flagging heroes can be answered with play Team League

ftfy

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only fix would be redesigning Varian so his Fury and Arms damage is lowered and baking the Taunt health (but not armour) into his baseline, making Varian into a warrior who chooses between tank or bruiser instead of picking between tank and Assassin.

Yeah that's smart. Multi-class was a dumb idea

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Also the next hero should be Blackthorne

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

That rolling grenade, flame shot, and the ability to lean back into the second dimenson

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

His trait would be shoot backwards, so meta would be auto attacking then immediately turning around to get in a free back shot.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

blastron posted:

For a long time her Cloud Serpent focused build was the highest healing (and damage) throughput build she could do. It got nerfed at some point though and is less generally effective now. It's still situationally one of her best builds. Sometimes I talent for the Good Stuff and Two For One but those are really the only brew improvements in her entire talent tree and they aren't like fantastic or anything.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Libertine posted:

For a long time her Cloud Serpent focused build was the highest healing (and damage) throughput build she could do. It got nerfed at some point though and is less generally effective now. It's still situationally one of her best builds. Sometimes I talent for the Good Stuff and Two For One but those are really the only brew improvements in her entire talent tree and they aren't like fantastic or anything.

Granted that during this time it was unintentional that the healing was triggered with each bounce, though it was hysterical to be able to tower dive with complete disregard for safety if the opposing team didn't respond.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Do they even own the rights to Blackthorne guy anymore?
That game has been forever ago by the standards of the video game industry and it was a different company back then. I wouldn't be surprised if that game at some point was just haphazardly licensed out to some now defunct publisher.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I think the strongest argument to never QM again for me is Varian vs Varian matchups. Taunt and W spam mirror matches are insanely awful.

I have a friend who just got into HoTS a couple months ago and is SUPER COMPETITIVE but got sucked in to last minute Team league placements for the raptor mount with some friends who are legit terrible. She placed well below average despite being an actually good player, and was pretty bummed. Are ranked seasons hard resets, or is this going to haunt her? She hasn't done any Hero League either, would the bad TL rank effect that placement?

I'd answer her questions myself but I'm a QM/Unranked superstar (because I'm bad).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

2 SPOOKY posted:

I think the strongest argument to never QM again for me is Varian vs Varian matchups. Taunt and W spam mirror matches are insanely awful.

I have a friend who just got into HoTS a couple months ago and is SUPER COMPETITIVE but got sucked in to last minute Team league placements for the raptor mount with some friends who are legit terrible. She placed well below average despite being an actually good player, and was pretty bummed. Are ranked seasons hard resets, or is this going to haunt her? She hasn't done any Hero League either, would the bad TL rank effect that placement?

I'd answer her questions myself but I'm a QM/Unranked superstar (because I'm bad).

Season reset essentially drops you 1/2-1 league and forces you to work your way back up. If you have a 60% win rate you can go up a league in about 40 hours of play. The game is super bad at putting you at where your skill level should be if it was wrong about the initial placement.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 30, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Tryhard For Good thing is over and they've posted a quick recap. They earned a bunch of money for charity and it seems like the streamers all enjoyed it!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
For those looking on more opinions on meta builds, TSpsalm has released a pretty good library of info https://docs.google.com/document/d/169EApZPvKE38FIsaSJZsPCf9HK3CmvHTBCHwBVys4_k/preview#heading=h.acy7hum36fw9

edit: also reposting Mcintyre's since he also has a good resource https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tuaW9f-m7x-ukrWvgy2REb-3xnGfZ4bM0K0_4toTyPA/preview

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 30, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Can someone explain this to me:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you were level 9 with jojo (or any other hero) before they changed how all the leveling works you will already have the master portrait

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Polio Vax Scene posted:

If you were level 9 with jojo (or any other hero) before they changed how all the leveling works you will already have the master portrait

Yeah, master portraitis now the equivalent of the old level 10 master skin, while it used to be the level 9 reward.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool, thanks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's also why you could get a lot of the Collection portraits before you were supposed to because the move to 2.0 increased the Hero levels before factoring in the new requirements.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

2 SPOOKY posted:

Are ranked seasons hard resets, or is this going to haunt her? She hasn't done any Hero League either, would the bad TL rank effect that placement?

Apparently your hidden QM MMR has a larger effect upon TL placements than your placement matches. Seriously if you haven't faceslammed a lot of QM your TL rank will be lower. Its dumb and bad. Also if she queued with bad players and kept getting bronze/silver opponents for matchups, then it certainly won't ever place her into gold or above.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I agree that QM determining your initial ranked MMR is not ideal as a player, but the alternative is to just throw someone new to ranked into what, plat or diamond and see how they do? That ruins games for other people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Right before the sales switched...

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

beejay posted:

I agree that QM determining your initial ranked MMR is not ideal as a player, but the alternative is to just throw someone new to ranked into what, plat or diamond and see how they do? That ruins games for other people.

Using QM is just a random rear end guess anyway though, so same outcome

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Power Bottom posted:

It's also why you could get a lot of the Collection portraits before you were supposed to because the move to 2.0 increased the Hero levels before factoring in the new requirements.

Oh, that explains why I have the portrait for getting both Stitches and Sylvanas to 15 despite Sylvanas only being 13; Stitches was at 10 and Sylvanas was at 9 before the roll over.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

beejay posted:

Does TL have any effect on HL placement, or visa versa, then?

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

beejay posted:

As opposed to the situation above where someone doesn't know about it, nowhere in the game is informed of it, and then places "low" simply because they quickly gravitated towards a format that they would rather play?

As opposed to a QM superstar getting placed into plat and ruining other people's games? Oh nevermind, its team league, you choose your own teammates and if you queue as 2-3 and expect this mode of matchmaking to somehow avoid lovely players when every other mode constantly and consistently gives you lovely players, I have no sympathy.

Seriously look at how often people complain about matchmaking, yet still don't try to get groups themselves. It doesn't help that the game client itself has worse party finding structure than original everquest chat spam (at lest in EQ everyone leveling in the same zone were by default in the same chat channel).

EDIT VV: No doubt that's for sure, but the constant focus on matchmaking and complete ignoring of the lack of tools for players to self-organize is always going to make things worse. What I really dislike is that they can get away with more problematic things by making more parts of the system hidden (e.g. hidden MMR, that MMR affects placements, etc)

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 30, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Reverend Dr posted:

Seriously look at how often people complain about matchmaking, yet still don't try to get groups themselves. It doesn't help that the game client itself has worse party finding structure than original everquest chat spam (at lest in EQ everyone leveling in the same zone were by default in the same chat channel).
To be fair, they completely ruined QM matchmaking sometime last year. I used to have 8-12 minute queues and get decentish games (as decent as qm can be). Now queues are instant and you get people who may or may not have their monitor turned on.

It's a big part of why I stopped playing.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Weird. If I play QM I just wanna play as fast as possible. I probably wouldn't play if the most basic quick play mode was 8+ min in queue.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My event box gave me tracer woooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kashuno posted:

Weird. If I play QM I just wanna play as fast as possible. I probably wouldn't play if the most basic quick play mode was 8+ min in queue.

I get really unnaturally excited if the QM pops and our team composition is anything resembling a normal balanced team.