Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Can you use the Verizon pixels on other networks? I assume yes, but it's Verizon so..

Yep. Like Vykk.Draygo, just came down to cost. I got mine when Verizon/Best Buy were doing a super cheap promo on a Verizon Pixel, wife got hers when T-Mobile started the $325 bill credits.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What's more likely: that the MotoG5 plus's screen is under-saturated or that the original Moto X's screen is oversaturated? Just bought this g5 yesterday and the screen is soooo dull compared to the Moto x. I sent my wife a photo (she still has a Moto X) and we looked at them side-by-side, and yeah, there's like a 50% difference in color.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

What's more likely: that the MotoG5 plus's screen is under-saturated or that the original Moto X's screen is oversaturated? Just bought this g5 yesterday and the screen is soooo dull compared to the Moto x. I sent my wife a photo (she still has a Moto X) and we looked at them side-by-side, and yeah, there's like a 50% difference in color.

Probably the former. AMOLED displays are often super saturated, and only recently has there seemed to be any push back and emphasis on accurate color.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Curious if anyone else has this problem: On a number of occasions now, once a week or so but sometimes more often, I've had Pixel Launcher stop responding and cause my Pixel XL to freeze up, requiring a hard reboot. When I look at the battery screen after, it's one of these:

I have narrowed it down to Pixel Launcher because:
1) I can be in other apps navigating around, and swiping down the tray, etc, and everything is fine, but the freeze occurs when I hit the home button
2) At one point, I was able to get to the Pixel Launcher app details screen while it was frozen and force stop it. Then hitting the home button caused it to re-launch, and it was all good again

This started since the 7.1.2 I believe, so relatively recent. Done a factory reset since then, no difference.

An add-on question to this, I did read it was possible to have third party launcher have the Google Now screen when you swipe to the left. This is the main reason why I use the Google Now/Pixel launchers, I use that left-side Google Now screen heavily. Does this require root? I'll happily take it to the root thread if so, just wasn't sure. I would love to use Nova Launcher fulltime but I depend on that Google Now screen on the left.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Curious if anyone else has this problem: On a number of occasions now, once a week or so but sometimes more often, I've had Pixel Launcher stop responding and cause my Pixel XL to freeze up, requiring a hard reboot. When I look at the battery screen after, it's one of these:

I have narrowed it down to Pixel Launcher because:
1) I can be in other apps navigating around, and swiping down the tray, etc, and everything is fine, but the freeze occurs when I hit the home button
2) At one point, I was able to get to the Pixel Launcher app details screen while it was frozen and force stop it. Then hitting the home button caused it to re-launch, and it was all good again

This started since the 7.1.2 I believe, so relatively recent. Done a factory reset since then, no difference.

An add-on question to this, I did read it was possible to have third party launcher have the Google Now screen when you swipe to the left. This is the main reason why I use the Google Now/Pixel launchers, I use that left-side Google Now screen heavily. Does this require root? I'll happily take it to the root thread if so, just wasn't sure. I would love to use Nova Launcher fulltime but I depend on that Google Now screen on the left.

I hadn't had that problem prior to switching back to Nova in an attempt to fix my problem with my Flamingo widget. (Nova didn't fix the issue either so I don't know why I haven't gone back.)

Nova doesn't support the Google Now screen on the left even with root as far as I know and my understanding isn't that it needs root, it's that the launcher has to be in the system partition to do it and you need root to do that. Either way it seems like root will break enough things that I'm not willing to do it any longer so I can't be of too much help.

As for diagnosing the actual problem, I've got a couple ideas. What's on the home screen itself? Could it be a widget or third-party content that's causing the issue? Seems like it could be a widget or a wallpaper that's causing it to hang. My next thought is that maybe it's related to some corruption within the Google App itself. Perhaps clearing data for that app and setting it back up again might help? Lastly, are you in the beta for the Google app?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I hadn't had that problem prior to switching back to Nova in an attempt to fix my problem with my Flamingo widget. (Nova didn't fix the issue either so I don't know why I haven't gone back.)

Nova doesn't support the Google Now screen on the left even with root as far as I know and my understanding isn't that it needs root, it's that the launcher has to be in the system partition to do it and you need root to do that. Either way it seems like root will break enough things that I'm not willing to do it any longer so I can't be of too much help.

As for diagnosing the actual problem, I've got a couple ideas. What's on the home screen itself? Could it be a widget or third-party content that's causing the issue? Seems like it could be a widget or a wallpaper that's causing it to hang. My next thought is that maybe it's related to some corruption within the Google App itself. Perhaps clearing data for that app and setting it back up again might help? Lastly, are you in the beta for the Google app?

Thanks for the info about the Nova Launcher, that's good to know. I'm not interesting in rooting either due to the amount of things that will break, it's too bad there's no easy to add the swipe left for Google Now. I know Nova supports different directions of swipes but I'm very trained to swipe left for it. I may bite the bullet, install Nova, and try to adjust my muscle memory.

I do have a couple widgets, Today Calendar and Soundhound, but I've run both for years and haven't had this problem until very recently. Wallpaper is just the stock Google app. I am indeed in the beta for the Google app, totally forgot about that. I left the beta and cleared app data, let's see if that makes a difference! Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks for the info about the Nova Launcher, that's good to know. I'm not interesting in rooting either due to the amount of things that will break, it's too bad there's no easy to add the swipe left for Google Now. I know Nova supports different directions of swipes but I'm very trained to swipe left for it. I may bite the bullet, install Nova, and try to adjust my muscle memory.

I do have a couple widgets, Today Calendar and Soundhound, but I've run both for years and haven't had this problem until very recently. Wallpaper is just the stock Google app. I am indeed in the beta for the Google app, totally forgot about that. I left the beta and cleared app data, let's see if that makes a difference! Thanks!

Yeah the gestures don't really support what you'd want (which is swipe L>R on Home screen only). I made it swipe up on an app icon to open it but I agree it sucks that it's not *right there*. I also use the stock Wallpapers app (the sunset battery one) but maybe if you have a live wallpaper that relies on sensor data try switching to a static one for a bit? I'll admit to grasping at straws and it's made worse because so much is tied into the Google App (which of course is where the launcher lives).

One thing that puzzles me is why it would require a restart, it should just time out and eventually present an ANR. How often is this occurring? Could it be a case of a permission being denied that the app needs, causing it to hang? Maybe go through all of the options in Google Now and verify everything is correct and works.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright gizmo question time:

So I'm working in a hospital where I mainly do inventory crap but I'm also part admin, part of which involves taking calls. I'm utter poo poo with taking down messages on a sticky note but I'm a decent typist on a keyboard (I swype on my phone but it's unreliable at speed). After a little mulling it over I realized I could probably get some sort of bluetooth keyboard for my phone, which I'd have some note-taking app ready, and just quickly type stuff down for a call. Does anyone have anything they'd recommend on that? I just saw that there are folding keyboards and that looks neat as heck. Could fit into a little pack i carry around, and be whipped out when I'm ready to sit at the desk for any length of time.

Any helpful input is appreciated. :shobon:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh man, I took my Nexus 5 out of the storage bin to hold me over until my 5x replacement gets here and I think it might actually take me 4-5 hours to apply all the updates from the past 2 years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Morter posted:

Alright gizmo question time:

So I'm working in a hospital where I mainly do inventory crap but I'm also part admin, part of which involves taking calls. I'm utter poo poo with taking down messages on a sticky note but I'm a decent typist on a keyboard (I swype on my phone but it's unreliable at speed). After a little mulling it over I realized I could probably get some sort of bluetooth keyboard for my phone, which I'd have some note-taking app ready, and just quickly type stuff down for a call. Does anyone have anything they'd recommend on that? I just saw that there are folding keyboards and that looks neat as heck. Could fit into a little pack i carry around, and be whipped out when I'm ready to sit at the desk for any length of time.

Any helpful input is appreciated. :shobon:

Google note, OneNote, and evernote would all be apps you could use to do this

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I went to a local Best Buy and played with a black Galaxy S8, and I can't lie, I'm absolutely smitten by it.

Since I'm looking for a new phone anyways, and rarely keep anything longer than a year, I don't think I am at a huge risk of getting Samsung'd....that said, how are people feeling about it now that it has been a month?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

I went to a local Best Buy and played with a black Galaxy S8, and I can't lie, I'm absolutely smitten by it.

Since I'm looking for a new phone anyways, and rarely keep anything longer than a year, I don't think I am at a huge risk of getting Samsung'd....that said, how are people feeling about it now that it has been a month?

Look at posts from clam down to see what happens if you dont get a samsung.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Yeah the gestures don't really support what you'd want (which is swipe L>R on Home screen only). I made it swipe up on an app icon to open it but I agree it sucks that it's not *right there*. I also use the stock Wallpapers app (the sunset battery one) but maybe if you have a live wallpaper that relies on sensor data try switching to a static one for a bit? I'll admit to grasping at straws and it's made worse because so much is tied into the Google App (which of course is where the launcher lives).

One thing that puzzles me is why it would require a restart, it should just time out and eventually present an ANR. How often is this occurring? Could it be a case of a permission being denied that the app needs, causing it to hang? Maybe go through all of the options in Google Now and verify everything is correct and works.

It's possible if I wait for an extended prior of time it will pop up a "not responding" and restart the launcher, but usually I wait 30 seconds-2 min then just impatiently reboot. Next time I may try and give it more time, often it happens at a really annoying time just when I need to use the phone so patience is hard. I checked permissions and options, all looks good. I'll see what happens after a data clear and leaving the beta. Thanks again!

grimcreaper posted:

Look at posts from clam down to see what happens if you dont get a samsung.

lmao please, I'm one of the few turbonerds in this thread who regularly uses more than one phone and I can compare between the two better than most

e: nice av

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Does anyone have the Moto G5 with Amazon ads? Does using the finger print let you bypass the lock screen or do you have to unlock it twice? The Amazon version costs $260 for me after tax, but I can get it for $300 from BHPhoto. If I have to do the fingerprint twice then I'm willing to pay the extra money for ad free.

e: saw someone on Reddit say that you do have to press your fingerprint twice. The first time just turns on the phone and brings you to the ad screen. Then you have to press the button again to get to the home screen. gently caress that, I can't believe the reviews I read didn't mention that at all.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 30, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ola posted:

That's like saying "at least the robber didn't murder me". What an absolute hateful, ridiculous design choice.

Lol that's not even half of how garbage these apps are. I swear Facebook is having an experiment to see how lovely they can make their own apps before people start refusing to use them. In the regular Facebook app itself on android, the volume of sounds in-app is determined by your phone's ringer setting rather than app volume, you know, the way literally everything else on the phone works. So the only way to silence the sounds when you like or share a post is to literally turn the ringer on your phone down all the way.

Then there's the thing about Facebook Messenger where since it pretends to be a messaging app, it ignores DND unless you have it set to Total Silence. So, say you have Priority Mode set to only let the phone ring/notify you if a contact tries calling or texting you. Facebook Messenger will happily notify you at full blast straight through that until you manually mute the conversation, even for something like a friend adding you to a late night group conversation with half a dozen people talking at once.

Plus, for whatever reason even though Facebook uses your ringer volume to determine how loud sounds played in app are, it ignores DND's Priority Mode just like Facebook Messenger for sounds in-app. Not the actual notifications, mind you, those follow Priority Mode and are properly muted. But the actual sounds in app for liking posts and such still play at full volume unless you turn your ringer down or just set the phone to Total Silence.

gently caress facebook.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wrist Watch posted:

Lol that's not even half of how garbage these apps are. I swear Facebook is having an experiment to see how lovely they can make their own apps before people start refusing to use them.

That's a literal thing they've admitted they've done before as part of their whole 'run psychological experiments through Facebook (without having to bother with an ethics committee!)' project. They made various groups of users have crashes and poor app experience to see how bad they could get it without affecting userbase.

They swear that one's over.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If a company treated me that badly I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Aside from the other issues I had with its screen, when I had the G5 Plus it did seem undersaturated, at least for reds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Andy Rubin's Essential Phone has broken covers.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

Looks stunning (though I don't know if I could get used to that front facing camera bisecting the notification area.)

SD835, 4gb ram, 3000mAh battery, Titanium and Ceramic design, 128gb storage, 5.7" display. It also has dual cameras (one being a monochrome sensor to augment low light) and has two magnetic pins to attach modular devices.

$699 and should work on all carriers. I have to say I find it intriguing enough that I might preorder. The update situation is, of course, unknown at this point. However, since it's from Andy Rubin's company, I might be willing to make the leap of faith.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks drat pretty, save for maybe those connector pins.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Andy Rubin's Essential Phone has broken covers.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15711170/essential-phone-announcement-price-android-andy-rubin

Looks stunning (though I don't know if I could get used to that front facing camera bisecting the notification area.)

SD835, 4gb ram, 3000mAh battery, Titanium and Ceramic design, 128gb storage, 5.7" display. It also has dual cameras (one being a monochrome sensor to augment low light) and has two magnetic pins to attach modular devices.

$699 and should work on all carriers. I have to say I find it intriguing enough that I might preorder. The update situation is, of course, unknown at this point. However, since it's from Andy Rubin's company, I might be willing to make the leap of faith.

It's a bit expensive but it has me intrigued as well.

Of course, don't go to the r/Android thread on this expecting anything outside of "no headphone jack, what courage" or "lol no headphone jack? essential alright"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Since it doesn't cost anything right now to reserve a place in line, I went ahead and did so.

There's no word yet on when they are planning on shipping. So, it could be July or it could be December, who knows. I'll decide at the time it's available to purchase if it's a good idea or not.

It's different enough in this space that I want to give it a chance. I also like what it's made out of and why.

"That's why you won’t find an area for phone cases on our site."

They intend this phone to go caseless and it's one of the first "durable" phones I've seen that doesn't look like it was designed by the Panasonic toughbook people.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Looks nice but no headphone jack.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People are going to lose that expensive camera clip-on thing on day one.

Nobody wants this modular stuff. Just put in an SD slot and 99% of people will be pleased.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 30, 2017

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mu Zeta posted:

No they won't, gotta own something before you can lose it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody wants this modular stuff.

Except for modular battery sizes.

I miss those.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That phone looks pretty cool to be honest, I actually want one. I was waiting for the Pixel 2 but I might reserve one of those instead.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gross, no headphone jack!

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
The front-facing camera cut-out doesn't bother me, but no headphone jack + no USB-C = no sale. Why would I want to buy new accessories/adapters for a 1st gen phone from a start-up company? Seriously, the lack of any kind of USB port is just confusing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Unless the Pixel 2 costs like $1000 there's really no reason to consider that phone. No water resist, middling sized battery, no headphone jack, weird screen divot thing on the front...

It's quite pretty though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wax Dynasty posted:

The front-facing camera cut-out doesn't bother me, but no headphone jack + no USB-C = no sale. Why would I want to buy new accessories/adapters for a 1st gen phone from a start-up company? Seriously, the lack of any kind of USB port is just confusing.

What are you talking about? It has USB-C.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody wants this modular stuff. Just put in an SD slot and 99% of people will be pleased.

98% will still be pleased if they leave it out!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
95% would be pleased with shiny glass and Facebook.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm mostly interested in it in case Google does something colossally stupid for the Pixel 2 like makes an all glass back.

I'm still annoyed as gently caress having to use a case on my Pixel and I really want to go back to caseless.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It looks nice. But there's lots of phones that look nice nowadays.

The real differentiator in phones nowadays is software.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

It looks nice. But there's lots of phones that look nice nowadays.

The real differentiator in phones nowadays is software.

Given how much better than everything else to date the software experience is on the pixel I'm not expecting much out of the essential phone. Third party is third party even if the guy is former google/android to begin with.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I know I'm an edgecase but I don't think I've ever actually missed the headphone jack on my iPhone 7 :shrug:

The headphone jack is going to go the way of the removable battery and SD card slot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought I would never say this, but after my nth nice quality earplug set has gotten a kink in the connector and is dropping sound, I'm starting to get kinda tired of minijack things.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Wax Dynasty posted:

It has a USB-C port. The headphone jack thing is mildly annoying but I will make due. I'm more interested in seeing how they will handle updates and if they will tinker too much with a custom UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

I thought I would never say this, but after my nth nice quality earplug set has gotten a kink in the connector and is dropping sound, I'm starting to get kinda tired of minijack things.

That sounds like a you problem, I've never had that happen to me in my entire life.