Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stand back, hot take comin' through:

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/869591030361927682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

mcmagic posted:

I doubt he's worse than Trump.

You probably think all this techbro stuff is overblown. Trump is a bloated Boomer asshat with no real understanding of how the modern world works. Zuck has been at the wheel of the most powerful social media company, has gobs more money, and is basically the same raw id squeezed into a lovely pullover and sandals.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

stone cold posted:

hey

hey

it's real cute when people assume that because you are anti gun you don't know what you're talking about but guess what, i actually come from a big sport shooting family and let me tell you

the only purpose a gun has is to destroy and time and time again people have prove that they are incapable of handling that awesome loving responsibility

people tend to:

kill themselves
kill their loved ones
cause themselves or their loved ones irreparable harm

so this isn't a peace and love thing, you horsefucker, this is a guns are loving bad thing

Gun's are not a bad thing, it's the fascist rear end in a top hat behind one that is the bad thing. A gun on it's own is just a hunk of metal, with bullets it's a hunk of metal with bullets still not a bad thing. People and their intentions are what make a thing including guns good or bad.

Here's the thing, as long as there are people of ill will and they have guns, you will need people willing to oppose them who also have guns. Also just as a practical matter you are not going disarm the United States, there are more guns already in this country than there are people. Even if it was politically doable it would be logistically impossible. That horse left the barn long ago and you won't be able to put it back in the stall.

As to your list of what people tend to do with their firearms these things tend to happen because they aren't properly trained. They don't properly secure their weapons and they don't treat them with appropriate respect. If you already know proper gun safety then assume that the instruction isn't for you but rather for those who do not. I'm not making an assumption about anyone beyond the basis fact that most people (including those who grew up around hunting culture) do not have proper firearms training. Hell I include most of the gun toting asshats on the right.

I'm not saying buy a loving gun and keep in under your pillow or leaning against they wall. I'm saying buy a weapon and lock it in a loving safe with a trigger lock.

The right is heavily armed, worse thanks to the "guns are bad" people like yourself, they are emboldened by the idea that us "libtards" are a bunch of pansies who are unarmed and vulnerable. They are cowards at heart and the best way to shut them down is to make it clear in no uncertain terms that while we lefties prefer to avoid starting fights we are prepared to end them.

Do you know what brought about the first gun control legislation in this country? Hint it involved a famous leftist political organization who used them to protect themselves from the police while observing police abusing their power.

If the left were to arm up you'd likely find the Right going all kinds of pro-gun control again.

Believe me I'd love to live in a world where guns didn't exist and everyone was rational, tolerant and compassionate. I do not however live in that imaginary utopia and neither do you.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No Chris, I took a break from the choking sadness that is the current situation in America and spent that time not worrying about how dipshits from Montana voted.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I mean if the question is "will Republicans forgive anything their representatives do bar raising taxes", then yeah, they bet right. I called it as soon as it happened that the body slam would be a net positive. He's a tough guy and a straight shooter now, willing to give the librul elites in the media a piece of his mind. If you told me the whole scenario were contrived specifically for this result I wouldn't be surprised.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

At least learn what a communist is....

Someone tried to correct him:

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/869604327626874882

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Deified Data posted:

I mean if the question is "will Republicans forgive anything their representatives do bar raising taxes", then yeah, they bet right. I called it as soon as it happened that the body slam would be a net positive. He's a tough guy and a straight shooter now, willing to give the librul elites in the media a piece of his mind. If you told me the whole scenario were contrived specifically for this result I wouldn't be surprised.

Let's all look forward to President Gianforte.

He'll still be more qualified than Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skex posted:

Here's the thing, as long as there are people of ill will and they have guns, you will need people willing to oppose them who also have guns. Also just as a practical matter you are not going disarm the United States, there are more guns already in this country than there are people. Even if it was politically doable it would be logistically impossible. That horse left the barn long ago and you won't be able to put it back in the stall.

idiots playing dress-up with their favorite deadly toys trying to reenact their favorite movies and tv shows would be a much, much bigger threat to me than people of ill will who have guns if they were common because i live in a civilized, populated area, and rely on the police to be the ~people willing to oppose them with guns~ who have problems but at least are theoretically required to be competent and answer for their actions

fortunately the unending social scorn civilized areas have for idiots trying to play dress-up with guns keeps that in check

you can do whatever you want in an area so thinly populated that you're not going to hit anyone else when you play my favorite dressup hero though

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Keep some of the guns, learn proper disciplines and practices with such weapons. Teach those who live with you the same. You have a lot of people out there on both sides talking about the end of days or civil war; it's far fetched but not improbable. Keep fighting the good fight in where guns could one day be irrelevant but don't confuse the dream with reality.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Deified Data posted:

I do not believe it was a net positive at all. A lot of people were asking if they could change their vote.

It just turned out that too much of the early vote was in and the lead was too great for this to cost him the election, but he may have lost if it happened a month before the vote. (actually, good chance that he quits the race and the GOP subs in someone else)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heh. A moron and proud of it!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if a gun owner shoots himself in the face does that count as a self defensive action and a proper use of second amendment rights to end a deadly threat from a crazed gunman?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
e: post

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 30, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

We're on gun chat now? How the hell did that happen?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I do not believe it was a net positive at all. A lot of people were asking if they could change their vote.

It just turned out that too much of the early vote was in and the lead was too great for this to cost him the election, but he may have lost if it happened a month before the vote. (actually, good chance that he quits the race and the GOP subs in someone else)

It might be possible to compare pre-election day voting to election day voting, compare that to historical splits between the two in Montana and reason out what the likely impact was, but I don't know it would be at all accurate given what I expect was somewhat abnormal turnout.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

just smh if you havent bought at least one gun, US politics aside when half of the country is underwater and you are scrounging for food in the 120 degree heat of wisconsin you are gonna wish you had some weapons

like i literally bought three rifles and two handguns in the months after trump was elected

Suicide and Depression runs in my family (not just my family, my immediate family), so no, owning a gun is a terrible idea for me regardless of whether I would be otherwise interested in doing so or not.

(Also, lol, is that one for each person in your family or are you going to dual wield pistols with three rifles strapped to your back and rambo it up in post Trump America?)

Ague Proof posted:

It's so loving obvious Trump personally colluded with Russia, that most of his team knew about it and some of them helped, and that his party were well aware and probably complicit. It's been obvious since last year just from things that were public knowledge. Every week more damning stuff comes out, real things not the Mensch conspiracy theories. It's going to take something like the piss tape for it to matter and probably not even then, where the conversation will change to "why is being friendlier with Russia a bad thing?"

I feel crazy, which is probably the point.

It's gaslighting, so yeah, that's the point.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Rigel posted:

We're on gun chat now? How the hell did that happen?

The Democratic party isn't going to win any elections with "we need to educate the other side!"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Have you ever had a loved one in the hospital or badly sick and you had to go about your regular life but the whole time you were just looking at your phone waiting to hear news and letting your mind jump to all the worst places? And then there'd be moments where you'd genuinely forget and lose yourself in something good or fun but then you'd remember and be overcome with guilt? And then your phone finally makes a noise and for a second that feels like a lifetime you feel paralyzed and overwhelmed with dread about what the message is going to tell you and how bad things might be? And like even if its good news it comes with a long conversation about everything that could still go wrong or still has to be dealt with which is all bad news but just isn't the worst possible news?

That's kind of what its like being an American right now.

christ this is so on the nose

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Blitz7x posted:

The Democratic party isn't going to win any elections with "we need to educate the other side!"

I hope your Glocks in your kitchen help out with that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

STAC Goat posted:

Have you ever had a loved one in the hospital or badly sick and you had to go about your regular life but the whole time you were just looking at your phone waiting to hear news and letting your mind jump to all the worst places? And then there'd be moments where you'd genuinely forget and lose yourself in something good or fun but then you'd remember and be overcome with guilt? And then your phone finally makes a noise and for a second that feels like a lifetime you feel paralyzed and overwhelmed with dread about what the message is going to tell you and how bad things might be? And like even if its good news it comes with a long conversation about everything that could still go wrong or still has to be dealt with which is all bad news but just isn't the worst possible news?

That's kind of what its like being an American right now.

Yeah, this is about right.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

stone cold posted:

what did turnout out end up being like in Washington, Colorado, etc

Voter turnout in currently all mail-in election states, by year for the last nine general elections of eligible voters:

pre:
Year               2016   | 2014  | 2012  | 2010  | 2008  |  2006 | 2004  | 2002  | 2000
National           60.2%  | 36.7  | 58.6  | 41.8  | 62.2  | 41.3  | 60.7  | 40.5  | 55.3
Colorado           72.1%  | 54.7  | 70.6  | 51.7  | 71.6  | 48.1  | 67.3  | 46.6  | 57.5
Oregon             68.3%  | 53.4  | 64.2  | 53.9  | 68.3  | 53.2  | 72.6  | 51.8  | 65.9
Washington         65.7%  | 43.1  | 65.8  | 54.3  | 67.3  | 47.3  | 67.5  | 43.5  | 61.4

Source: http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/voter-turnout-data
Important things to keep in mind:

Oregon, Washington and Colorado routinely top voter turnout comparisons.
Oregon implemented vote by mail in 1998, Washington in 2011, Colorado in 2013.
As most people know, 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, and 2000 were presidential election years, with traditionally higher turnout.
Oregon has the longest history to look over, but statistics for the critical pre-1998 years are lacking.
Vote by mail should have a particular impact on minor/midterm elections, which have very low turnout but also few available statistics.
Voter turnout of course varies by the specifics of each election, and the closeness of the contest. Purple states should have higher turnout.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 30, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

boner confessor posted:

if a gun owner shoots himself in the face does that count as a self defensive action and a proper use of second amendment rights to end a deadly threat from a crazed gunman?

Holy poo poo.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What are the possible outcomes of Gianforte's legal process now?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ague Proof posted:

It's so loving obvious Trump personally colluded with Russia, that most of his team knew about it and some of them helped, and that his party were well aware and probably complicit. It's been obvious since last year just from things that were public knowledge. Every week more damning stuff comes out, real things not the Mensch conspiracy theories. It's going to take something like the piss tape for it to matter and probably not even then, where the conversation will change to "why is being friendlier with Russia a bad thing?"

I feel crazy, which is probably the point.

This is an intentional part of the strategy, yeah. Gaslight everything and defend it with team think bullshit.

Hell, Trump publicly asked during a rally for Russia to hack Hillary's emails, then it happened.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Have there been any new polls of GA-06 since the SurveyUSA poll that had Ossoff +7? Curious how much of an outlier that is

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/869602338553516032
https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/869584673516781568
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/869595268169314304
https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/869603375125471232
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869605062158450690
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/869603680772861953
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/869599619533213699
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/869601257488617472

And on a lighter note:
https://twitter.com/adilray/status/869176614764122112

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

androo posted:

FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.

On the other hand Donald Trump is president.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

I mean I was busy having a picnic in the park with good friends and then a cookout at my girlfriends parents house, but no yeah not being miserable every waking second is proof they've won Chris, thank you.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

Voter turnout in currently all mail-in election states, by year for the last nine general elections of eligible voters:

pre:
Year               2016   | 2014  | 2012  | 2010  | 2008  |  2006 | 2004  | 2002  | 2000
National           60.2%  | 36.7  | 58.6  | 41.8  | 62.2  | 41.3  | 60.7  | 40.5  | 55.3
Colorado           72.1%  | 54.7  | 70.6  | 51.7  | 71.6  | 48.1  | 67.3  | 46.6  | 57.5
Oregon             68.3%  | 53.4  | 64.2  | 53.9  | 68.3  | 53.2  | 72.6  | 51.8  | 65.9
Washington         65.7%  | 43.1  | 65.8  | 54.3  | 67.3  | 47.3  | 67.5  | 43.5  | 61.4

Source: http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/voter-turnout-data
Important things to keep in mind:

Oregon, Washington and Colorado routinely top voter turnout comparisons.
Oregon implemented vote by mail in 1998, Washington in 2011, Colorado in 2013.
As most people know, 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004, and 2000 were presidential election years, with traditionally higher turnout.
Oregon has the longest history to look over, but statistics for the critical pre-1998 years are lacking.
Vote by mail should have a particular impact on minor/midterm elections, which have very low turnout but also few available statistics.

This might be the downside of eyeballing data, but I'm not seeing any indication that going to mail-in changed turnout in CO or Washington at all. Turnout patterns look unaffected by the date they went to mail-in.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crain posted:

It's worrying, but I don't see the end result of vaguely allied militia groups as a full coup. At best they start "patrolling" their areas pretending to play cop and get push back from the real police for stepping on their turf, and the ones that end up killing anyone get arrested and sentenced and the GOP just goes "oh wow what a crazy lone wolf with no connection to anything" like usual. These guys are not actually very good at what they do, and they are not being lead by geniuses (as we're finding out).

I'll gladly ear crow if they do end up forming a de facto paramilitary and announce they're taking over.

Mostly because that'll be all that's left to eat.

So, I'm more worried than you are because we have already seen juries nullify clearly-guilty conservative perps who do stupid things with guns to federal property and minorities on video then brag about it over social media.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What will the NRA do once 3D printed weapons begin to approach the quality and reliability of gun manufacturers? You can anyway print a gun, it sucks, but give it 5-10 years.

Will they side with hobbyists as an individual right? Or will they side with the manufacturers who are going to be lobbying for this to be banned?

If they do, what will NRA membership think of the orgs silence on new laws banning home printed weapons?

This already happened, more or less. The NRA has been opposed to efforts to regulate 3D printing, but not strongly. I don't think they did anything in the Defense Distributed lawsuit, which would be the test case anyone into this would care about. Defense Distributed was blocked from distributing the files under arms import/export regulations. The NRA will make noise about it if new regs could be used to impact existing manufacturers, but won't otherwise do much.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You'd think a reporter would not be eager to trumpet that violence against a reporter worked fine for a political entity, but Clizzia seems like the kind of guy who'd be happy to write in a state media outlet so that his lack of anything approaching analysis would be considered more of a plus.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

androo posted:

We'll get to see in real time if hiring the best public speaking coaches in the world pays off

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

kartikeya posted:

Suicide and Depression runs in my family (not just my family, my immediate family), so no, owning a gun is a terrible idea for me regardless of whether I would be otherwise interested in doing so or not.

(Also, lol, is that one for each person in your family or are you going to dual wield pistols with three rifles strapped to your back and rambo it up in post Trump America?)

yeah thats a good reason, stay safe depression goon

(its both)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

evilweasel posted:

This might be the downside of eyeballing data, but I'm not seeing any indication that going to mail-in changed turnout in CO or Washington at all. Turnout patterns look unaffected by the date they went to mail-in.

I agree, actually, which is why I ended up adding a bunch of caveats after I put the data together. And the volatility of turnout numbers makes it really hard to pick out any kind of trend. I wish that we had Oregon's numbers prior to 2000.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 30, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But can he do the ~Oirish accent? Very important :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Getting past that absolutely disgusting mystery food... that grill is dirty as gently caress.

Like, mine wasn't half that bad and I still decided to drop the $15 on a new rack this weekend rather than cook people food on whatever the gently caress was left over from last year and a winter of cold, humid storage.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I don't think I've seen this mentioned but our Spicey boy is resuming his press briefings today at 2pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3be2QBmE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
From IRC:
https://twitter.com/MikeLevinCA/status/869607299295330304

• Locked thread