Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

probably too many of them around for him to steal a getaway car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

evilweasel posted:

This might be the downside of eyeballing data, but I'm not seeing any indication that going to mail-in changed turnout in CO or Washington at all. Turnout patterns look unaffected by the date they went to mail-in.

You could opt in to exclusively voting by absentee ballot (by checking a box on your registration form even) for a little more than a decade before Washington finally got rid of in-person voting entirely. No idea how that affects the turnout, though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

evilweasel posted:

probably too many of them around for him to steal a getaway car

Nah, he'll just burn the building down and collect the insurance money.

Again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

androo posted:

FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/gentle-creature-zuckerberg/

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Do a flip

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

You probably think all this techbro stuff is overblown. Trump is a bloated Boomer asshat with no real understanding of how the modern world works. Zuck has been at the wheel of the most powerful social media company, has gobs more money, and is basically the same raw id squeezed into a lovely pullover and sandals.

If a republican candidate emerges who's actually a career civil servant and not a government saboteur, I will absolutely vote for them over Democrat hopeful, Mark Zuckerturd.

Businessmen and techno-magnates cannot run a loving global superpower.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

evilweasel posted:

This might be the downside of eyeballing data, but I'm not seeing any indication that going to mail-in changed turnout in CO or Washington at all. Turnout patterns look unaffected by the date they went to mail-in.

Washington has had mail in for 20+ years it was just in 2011 they said gently caress it and stopped doing regular polling places at the same time because most of us were mailing anyway

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

For the VAST majority of people, if you want to vote, you can vote. That is why I really think the impact of voter restrictions (other than ones that closing locations which causes lines) are not enough on their own to blame for democrats doing poorly in Midwestern states.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

this is loving unreal. what the gently caress is he doing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Please someone drive out there and start blasting "Jump" from your boomboxes. Kris's Kross or Van Halen

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press briefing scheduled to start in 10 minutes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chilichimp posted:

If a republican candidate emerges who's actually a career civil servant and not a government saboteur, I will absolutely vote for them over Democrat hopeful, Mark Zuckerturd.

Businessmen and technocrats cannot run a loving global superpower.

All republican electeds are government saboteurs.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

androo posted:

FYI candidate Zuckerberg isn't gonna be a thing because he's wildly uncharismatic and billions of dollars doesn't seem to be helping with that. Stop talking about candidate Zuck like that poo poo is happening.

Seriously I watched a random 30 seconds of that speech and he's hilariously awkward. Jesse Eisenberg Zuck could maybe pull it off, but real-life Zuck is like a pale thumb with wet eyes that looks constantly scared.
Yeah, this. People are harping on about Zuck because "if Trump can win, why can't he?" but the only thing they have in common is that they both have lots of money. Trump has been a figure in American culture for 30 years, and everyone knew who he was and had a basic idea of how they felt about him before 2016. Literally the only thing 95% of Americans know about Zuckerberg is "oh yeah, the Facebook guy, I think?" He has no charisma, no public persona, and a bare minimum of name/face recognition. The second coming of Trump he ain't.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

All republican electeds are government saboteurs.

Not all of them are libertarian hacks, sorry, McMagic.

In spite of their best efforts, some republican actually manage to govern, a thing that I'm not confident Zuckerbutt is capable of accidentally doing.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Like we're finally being honest with ourselves, but not in an AA, moment of clarity sense.

The proper metaphor would probably be suicide by binge drinking.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Please someone drive out there and start blasting "Jump" from your boomboxes. Kris's Kross or Van Halen

or House of Pain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mcmagic posted:

For the VAST majority of people, if you want to vote, you can vote. That is why I really think the impact of voter restrictions (other than ones that closing locations which causes lines) are not enough on their own to blame for democrats doing poorly in Midwestern states.

The whole point of restrictions is to impede voting for groups you don't notice while allowing it for everyone else.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zuck wouldn't make it out of either primary. He would definitely pull more votes from Ds than Rs if he ran as an indie tho, which is the last thing we need in 2020

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, this. People are harping on about Zuck because "if Trump can win, why can't he?" but the only thing they have in common is that they both have lots of money. Trump has been a figure in American culture for 30 years, and everyone knew who he was and had a basic idea of how they felt about him before 2016. Literally the only thing 95% of Americans know about Zuckerberg is "oh yeah, the Facebook guy, I think?" He has no charisma, no public persona, and a bare minimum of name/face recognition. The second coming of Trump he ain't.

Yup. If you want a Democrat billionaire that people actually love like Republicans love Trump... try Oprah.

She'd be a loving awful president, of course. No experience in politics whatsoever, like a certain other someone.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Chilichimp posted:

I think a weird megalomaniac like Elon Musk could but Zuck is literally King of the Techbros and the Vicar of Techbrodom on Earth. He is, by all accounts from his Harvard days to the first few years at FB, 100% techbro-lolbertarian-autist-sexist to the point that he's like a walking caricature of techbros. The only reason we hear so much about how hosed up Uber is is because Zuck got wise before the whole valley became "what constitutes woke for Silicon Valley" and was willing to surrender most of the power at FB to savvy managers. If you want to really understand him (spoiler: you don't) you can read the various things Kate Losse has written or talk to anyone else who worked at FB those first two years. Most people assume it's just the IM messages from "when he was a kid" but he's really just like a single flavor of techbro douchebag to the degree that he might be a robot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

In spite of their best efforts, some republican actually manage to govern, a thing that I'm not confident Zuckerbutt is capable of accidentally doing.

Any republican is going to staff their administration with republicans. If Zuckerberg runs as a democrat (which isn't happening) he would staff his administration and government with democrats. That alone is reason enough to vote against any R.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RuanGacho posted:

Washington has had mail in for 20+ years it was just in 2011 they said gently caress it and stopped doing regular polling places at the same time because most of us were mailing anyway

This is a good point, which I didn't realize. It occurred to me is that a good look at this would probably need to be more in-depth. Washington, for example, has a history with vote by mail that goes back to before 1915, when voters could first request their ballots be mailed to them. They expanded the franchise over the decades, and by 1993 they allowed voters to request no-cause mail-in ballots for all elections. By 2000, 54% of Washingtonians used vote by mail, and by 2006 it was 88%. By 2008, only a single county was still operating polling stations. So with that in mind, it makes sense that the impact of officially switching to mail-in statewide was insubstantial. That being said, it would probably take quite a bit of data-mining to sort out the trends, because you'd really want to be looking at the details of individual elections - and particularly the minor ones.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/documentvault/WashingtonStatesVotebyMailExperienceOctober2007-2066.pdf

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yup. If you want a Democrat billionaire that people actually love like Republicans love Trump... try Oprah.

She'd be a loving awful president, of course. No experience in politics whatsoever, like a certain other someone.

Alternatively, if she put the Oprah Book Recommendation on the CBO score for the AHCA, maybe a bunch of middle aged housewives in suburbia would stop voting for people who want them to act only as baby farms and kitchen cleaners.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Good luck finding that one.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

evilweasel posted:

idiots playing dress-up with their favorite deadly toys trying to reenact their favorite movies and tv shows would be a much, much bigger threat to me than people of ill will who have guns if they were common because i live in a civilized, populated area, and rely on the police to be the ~people willing to oppose them with guns~ who have problems but at least are theoretically required to be competent and answer for their actions

fortunately the unending social scorn civilized areas have for idiots trying to play dress-up with guns keeps that in check

you can do whatever you want in an area so thinly populated that you're not going to hit anyone else when you play my favorite dressup hero though

Back in my Marine days I worked as a guard at a nuclear submarine base, it was probably the most boring job imaginable because it was a precaution against and eventuality that would literally never happen (No one was ever going to attempt and armed incursion into a nuclear weapons storage facility that's poo poo that only happens in bad movies) yet as one of my sergeant's pointed out it wasn't like we could just put a padlock on the gate and take off for the weekend. Part of the reason why such an attack would never actually happen was because we were there.

I view liberals being armed essentially the same way, It's about perception. Part of what emboldens those idiots playing dress-up with their deadly toys is this idea that they will be facing a disarmed opposition. If you take that belief away from them I believe that you'd shut them up pretty soundly or at least temper their enthusiasm.

Basically when the brown shirts come for my neighbors I want to be prepared to fight back. As the old saying goes, I'd rather have a gun and not need a gun than need a gun and not have one. I'm also reluctant to rely on the local police to be the ones to oppose the fascists given that a sizable percentage of them are sympathetic to their cause.

I'm pro-gun control, I think that it's ridiculous that there are no licensing or training requirements on something so destructive. I just don't think that disarmament is a practical possibility and I don't think that the left should unilaterally disarm. Particularly with an emboldened fascist movement on the rise.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mcmagic posted:

Any republican is going to staff their administration with republicans. If Zuckerberg runs as a democrat (which isn't happening) he would staff his administration and government with democrats. That alone is reason enough to vote against any R.

This is pretty much how non-crazy Republicans felt about Trump.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

Not at the national level, and especially not anyone who is subjected to the purity test that is the Republican presidential primary. You do realize that Donald Trump won that particular contest, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is pretty much how non-crazy Republicans felt about Trump.

What non-crazy republicans are you talking about? The Never Trumpers who were handed a SCOTUS seat on a silver platter?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Americans, could you please stop allowing him to wander 'round without adult supervision? Frankly, this is getting dangerous.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869503804307275776

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mcmagic posted:

What non-crazy republicans are you talking about? The Never Trumpers who were handed a SCOTUS seat on a silver platter?

Yeah, pretty much.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

i too am a retard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Be careful or it could end up like this
https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/692155362552778752?lang=en

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, pretty much.

Trump has proposed policies that they love.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

PT6A posted:

Americans, could you please stop allowing him to wander 'round without adult supervision? Frankly, this is getting dangerous.

God how much easier would global tensions be if someone just gave him a graphing calculator and told him it's the newest Android phone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any "reasonable" Republican would have joined the Democrats by now. They are literally the party that is pro-assaulting reporters and surrounding themselves with white supremacist militias. There's no excuse for any "moderate" Republican to be on board with that so anyone left is at least comfortable with the party as it is. There are no decent Republicans left.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

PT6A posted:

this is 100% because merkel is a woman who is smarter, more qualified, more dignified and a better leader than him

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

I'm torn, on the one hand the dissolution of NATO and the downfall of the peace of the modern world seems really upsetting.

On the other hand, the alliance with Russia will mean the possibility that Russo-American Mercantile will come into existence, which could mean we're in the Buck Rogers Timeline...

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Do they always have this dramatic play-in music during White House Briefings? I may usually tube in too late.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Waffles Inc. posted:

this is 100% because merkel is a woman who is smarter, more qualified, more dignified and a better leader than him

He said the same thing about Mexico. The US president literally has no idea what a trade deficit is, how that whole thing works, and how it ties into the national debt, aggregate demand and all those other things you're supposed to understand when you run a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

You probably think all this techbro stuff is overblown. Trump is a bloated Boomer asshat with no real understanding of how the modern world works. Zuck has been at the wheel of the most powerful social media company, has gobs more money, and is basically the same raw id squeezed into a lovely pullover and sandals.

And anyone not worried about the CEO of Facebook becoming President of the United States then you must know very little about the technology behind Facebook or the intelligence gathering capabilities of the USA.

• Locked thread