Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
all phone numbers and opening hours will change

the number of languages offered is reducing to 8 including English

customers who contact UK Visas and Immigration by email will be charged £5.48

The private sector wins again lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's not an inconsiderable sum of money in many parts of the world. Would it be cynical of me to think that this would be designed to discourage people from CERTAIN COUNTRIES from applying for visas?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

julian assflange posted:

That's not an inconsiderable sum of money in many parts of the world. Would it be cynical of me to think that this would be designed to discourage people from CERTAIN COUNTRIES from applying for visas?

Of course that's the case. That's why they have those minimum income rules too. It stops The Poors getting in legally, so they can just be rounded up and deported instead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is this a sign that the Tories know they're not gonna get their "End of free movement of people" from their deal with the EU, and are trying to make it as difficult as possible for "undesirables" to apply instead?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well having to apply for a visa would indicate an end of free movement

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Would it not also provide credit card details of everyone thinking about entering the country?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well having to apply for a visa would indicate an end of free movement

I was more thinking of them trying to target immigrants from outside the EU so as to lower immigration that way instead.

Edit: Sorry, should have specified.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Would it not also provide credit card details of everyone thinking about entering the country?

Well there's already a charge for a visa so that doesn't really change much, because it's for enquiries from people already going through the visa application process.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

julian assflange posted:

The only thing that makes it seem inconsiderable is the cost of the visas themselves.

I'm surprised they would outsource any part of it considering what a massive scammy cashcow the whole visa process always has been.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Targeting young voters is a good idea in the long run because it will make them more likely to vote and to vote Labour in future elections. I also think it's morally the right thing to do at a time when the Conservatives are trying to disenfranchise young people, with not even a token Facebook post reminding them they now have to register to vote.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

I was more thinking of them trying to target immigrants from outside the EU so as to lower immigration that way instead.

Edit: Sorry, should have specified.

Not... really, no. If they want less immigrants they can just issue less visas - turns out though we actually do need immigrants, in large amounts, to keep our economy propped up, and someone's came up with a clever way of dipping their beak a bit further into the wallets of those applying. There's probably not a huge amount of people who will have been willing to go through all the hoops already required for a UK visa (including having £30k in the bank or whatever it is) but who will then balk at having to pay a few quid to email them to ask what the question about "Are you now or have you ever been a member of an ethnic group with funny ways and smelly food?" means.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tortuga posted:

The only thing that makes it seem inconsiderable is the cost of the visas themselves.

I'm surprised they would outsource any part of it considering what a massive scammy cashcow the whole visa process always has been.

You've really not been paying attention, have you? Massive cashcows are always the very first thing to get privatised, because the Perfect Rational Actors really aren't interested in services that they can't make a healthy profit off.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

She just won't stop with the shoddy Hello!-esque design leaflets, and how the gently caress they've managed to amalgamate me and the guy who lives upstairs into one mailing list I don't know

We got this as well. The envelope makes it look like a household bill - there's a second class (lol) stamp actually printed onto the front, as if an actual human was involved in its production at some point, which seems a bit cheeky to me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not... really, no. If they want less immigrants they can just issue less visas - turns out though we actually do need immigrants, in large amounts, to keep our economy propped up, and someone's came up with a clever way of dipping their beak a bit further into the wallets of those applying. There's probably not a huge amount of people who will have been willing to go through all the hoops already required for a UK visa (including having £30k in the bank or whatever it is) but who will then balk at having to pay a few quid to email them to ask what the question about "Are you now or have you ever been a member of an ethnic group with funny ways and smelly food?" means.

Fair enough, it just seemed like such an arbitrary fee, and more like something that was made specifically to discourage people from applying/going through with applications. I thought it might have been an idea they came up with to lower the total immigration numbers, so they would have something to point at when the hardcore Brexit crowd comes knocking.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

She just won't stop with the shoddy Hello!-esque design leaflets, and how the gently caress they've managed to amalgamate me and the guy who lives upstairs into one mailing list I don't know

Those leaflets look like the design of seventeen magazine circa 2006.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tortuga posted:

If by 'always' you mean since about 2003. Indefinite leave to remain used to be free to apply for. Now it's £2,297 and it goes up another few hundo every year.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007
I've fallen behind on the thread for the last two days so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I heard Barry Gardiner on the radio today and he's really good.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

sacre posted:

I've fallen behind on the thread for the last two days so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I heard Barry Gardiner on the radio today and he's really good.

Yeah he seems like one of their best performers at the moment. I didn't know anything about him before the election campaign.

https://twitter.com/imajsaclaimant/status/869548548869771268

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mehall posted:

but if worst comes to worst, I'll walk away with a Yaris.

Hey that's my car :mad:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kegluneq posted:

We got this as well. The envelope makes it look like a household bill - there's a second class (lol) stamp actually printed onto the front, as if an actual human was involved in its production at some point, which seems a bit cheeky to me.

That seems really weird and feels like it should be illegal? Although I guess if they're not actually trying to send it via Royal Mail it's not an issue.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

feedmegin posted:

It could be worse, you could drive a Corsa (like me). Is that the WTO equivalent?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

dispatch_async posted:

Yeah he seems like one of their best performers at the moment. I didn't know anything about him before the election campaign.

Even that interviewer is missing the point completely.

"May made a figure up completely and no-one cared, Corbyn couldn't remember one and was pilloried"
"but he should have remembered it!"

just gently caress off with this bullshit.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

feedmegin posted:

LAB: 581
CON: 69
Other: lol

Charity: buy feedmegin a new car, Inc.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

drat that was a good party political broadcast by Ken Loach.

EDIT
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/869614642804310016

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 30, 2017

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Of course that's the case. That's why they have those minimum income rules too. It stops The Poors getting in legally, so they can just be rounded up and deported instead.
It's part of the general "hostile environment" immigration strategy, ie make things lovely and awkward and unwelcoming to prevent people wanting to live in your country.

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

"May made a figure up completely and no-one cared, Corbyn couldn't remember one and was pilloried"

This seems to be his speciality from the few interviews on YouTube, calling out the interviewer on their inconsistencies.

His voting record looks ok, hopefully he gets a better brief after a reshuffle. Shadow home sec maybe?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

dispatch_async posted:

This whole thing is vile. They're trying their best to pretend they care about Corbyn forgetting a figure. It's not even that the figure doesn't exist. Just that he forgot it. It got the BBC site main article treatment. If anyone was on the fence about whether the BBC were bent then here we go.

On one hand it's good because it means this is all they have. The IRA stuff must not be sticking. But on the other hand giving it such prominent space might very well work on a few idiot fence sitters.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Has nobody informed the british media that we invented something called "writing" about five to six millennia ago so we didn't have to keep every scrap of information in our heads at all times?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

sacre posted:

This seems to be his speciality from the few interviews on YouTube, calling out the interviewer on their inconsistencies.

His voting record looks ok, hopefully he gets a better brief after a reshuffle. Shadow home sec maybe?

He certainly should be in one of the big chairs.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Corbyn's on the One Show right now, all he's doing is explaining the context behind old photos of him.

https://twitter.com/BBCTheOneShow/status/869617218027311104

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HJB posted:

Corbyn's on the One Show right now, all he's doing is explaining the context behind old photos of him.

https://twitter.com/BBCTheOneShow/status/869617218027311104

Still more charismatic than May.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
UPDATE: He gave them a jar of his jam.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Crowsbeak posted:

Those leaflets look like the design of seventeen magazine circa 2006.

We like beer, bingo and reading trashy magazines!!! :toot:

What we need is a nationwide campaign to keep older people utterly distracted for a day on the 8th of June. I'm thinking give them coupons for discounts on some product they just can't resist at shops that involve a full day's travel.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I might set up a market stall in the industrial estate outside town, selling nothing but limited edition (one day only!) Princess Dianna commemorative china plates and statuettes.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

HJB posted:

Jezza is too good for this shithole country.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

HJB posted:

What a gent

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I cannot get over the pure head-gently caress that is having someone a few months ago standing up and saying "The vote was to leave the EU so gently caress the single market and bollocks to free movement, the EU are cunts" now appearing on their party political broadcasts and saying that there's a real chance of it all going horrifically wrong so we need to be careful. It's a massive gaslighting effort.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
From the D&D pics thread:

https://twitter.com/dougalshawBBC/status/864095069556670464

lmao

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"my pioneering method"

does this guy think he's the first person in the world to discover how to make a loving sandwich :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah, it was a total non-story.

• Locked thread