Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sony will produce the Switch external optical drive

I like the way you think.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad that Injustice 2 is pretty cool so that I can get my rear end beat there in between bouts of getting my rear end beat in For Honor.

I'll be getting my rear end beat in Tekken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This has been a good year for fighting games. I wish somebody would resurrect Soul Calibur because it would be perfect for our modern "semi-technical fighter with pretty pretty princess dress-up" environment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

This has been a good year for fighting games. I wish somebody would resurrect Soul Calibur because it would be perfect for our modern "semi-technical fighter with pretty pretty princess dress-up" environment.

You wouldn't if you'd remembered Soul Calibur 4 and 5.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It's been a great year for games in general. It's been a while where every month has been littered with at least 2 great new games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You wouldn't if you'd remembered Soul Calibur 4 and 5.

I'm usually opposed to the idea of "reboots" but if there's one series that needs to get back to basics it's Soul Calibur.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm usually opposed to the idea of "reboots" but if there's one series that needs to get back to basics it's Soul Calibur.

Keep the character customization system, though. That was really fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I picked up the original for my Dreamcast a year or so back, and it's night and day from how crap 4 and 5 were. Really they just need to build off Soul Calibur III, I think, while remember what made the combat good.. It was decent, had a good amount of content, and the start of the custom-character system.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never got the hate for SCV. I mean, yes it was rushed and as a result had a pretty dire amount of single player content but they seemed to have actually focused on getting the mechanics to work and the net code running in the rushed time they had and in the long run, that's what really matters. I mean it wasn't like SC3 which was so buggy it could format your memory card or SC4 which was unbalanced as hell and just generally hosed up some if the central mechanics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, SC5 was really solid, Devil Jin Soul aside.

I'll never get a real handle on how Viola plays but man was she cool anyway.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I didn't like SC5 much. SC3 was the peak of the series imo. save killing bug and all.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SC5 was the one I had the most fun playing with other people but I would be into an SC3 Remaster or something so that I could get Olcadan again or play Chronicles of the Sword.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Really not having Tekken Revolution be available at or around PS4 launch strikes me as super dumb. It was already on PS3 (and 360, I think). It probably would have printed money in those early days since the only fighter available was Injustice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Haha, poo poo, I forgot about that Soul Calibur 3 formatting bug. I remember I had a memory card labeled just for that game because it had to be quarantined from the rest of my game saves.

It was definitely the high point of the series tho. Vs battles with the lovely custom skeleton warrior characters / randomly generated create-a-characters were fun as hell. Sure, Zasalamel was broken, but every other character played really well and the series had reached its logical conclusion.

Would love a remaster of 3 or a reboot, but I imagine Namco is waiting to see how Tekken 7 is received.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'd love a new Soul Calibur, but one of the things I can't stand about Tekken is all the bizarre poo poo that goes on user costumes. It's tough to even figure out which character is which when everyone is wearing three swords, two feather boas, a large Japanese diaper and a Pac Man hat.

I think Injustice does it better with the shader and gear options? Even if someone chooses a bad color scheme, at least it's not Batman in a bathrobe or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wvg71YtZKs

Edit: I mean, it's not like trying to recognize silhouettes in a fraction of a second in an FPS, I feel like you will have a pretty good idea of who you're fighting in a duel game?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 30, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think TTT was the last Tekken I ever played so I don't remember enough characters to follow it closely. Injustice 2 is all right because if you squint a little you can see which MK character they were all copied from.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You're better than this.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure if everyone who played Nioh still goes to the thread but I'm cross-posting because I'm proud...

Been working on this in moments of free time since about 2 weeks after the game came out. Finally finished.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're better than this.

Dressing up a tekken char as a insane shark is way cooler than batman with a different armored boot

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's adorable! What did you make it out of?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feenix posted:

Not sure if everyone who played Nioh still goes to the thread but I'm cross-posting because I'm proud...

Been working on this in moments of free time since about 2 weeks after the game came out. Finally finished.

Good poo poo, goon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Dressing up a tekken char as a insane shark is way cooler than batman with a different armored boot

That's the spirit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'd love a new Soul Calibur, but one of the things I can't stand about Tekken is all the bizarre poo poo that goes on user costumes. It's tough to even figure out which character is which when everyone is wearing three swords, two feather boas, a large Japanese diaper and a Pac Man hat.

I think Injustice does it better with the shader and gear options? Even if someone chooses a bad color scheme, at least it's not Batman in a bathrobe or whatever.

I would absolutely play as Bathman.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

This is extremely excellent. Most kodama merch is gonna be Ghibli stuff which, while also great, just isn't the same as these little guys.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Soul Calibur would definitely benefit from a robust costume system because the weapons add a lot of customization and the palette swap characters could just exist as a skin for an existing main character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Soul Caliber has had a robust costume system for like the last 3 games

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Soulcalibur peaked with 2, I played that poo poo for hours and hours on Gamecube but bounced right off of 3 on PS2. Don't care about character customization, it's a fighting game, I'm out here tryna git gud not look pretty. I vaguely remember that they replaced Weapon Master Mode with some other story mode that was way less interesting. Also SC3 hosed up Nightmare (my main) by splitting him into two distinct characters, neither with the original Nightmare moveset.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snak posted:

That's adorable! What did you make it out of?

4 inch blank white Munny. And then just stuff... and paint, etc...

Actually it's the cat model "Tricky", but I sanded off the ears and tail and filled with magic sculpt before smoothing and priming and painting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Soulcalibur peaked with 2, I played that poo poo for hours and hours on Gamecube but bounced right off of 3 on PS2. Don't care about character customization, it's a fighting game, I'm out here tryna git gud not look pretty. I vaguely remember that they replaced Weapon Master Mode with some other story mode that was way less interesting. Also SC3 hosed up Nightmare (my main) by splitting him into two distinct characters, neither with the original Nightmare moveset.

Nightmare is my main, too. He's been distinct from Sigfried since SC1. And none of the Weapon Master modes in subsequent games have managed to best Edge Master mode from Soul Blade.

3 was the best tho.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nightmare is my main, too. He's been distinct from Sigfried since SC1.

Same moveset though, he's just a skin for Nightmare in SC2 and IIRC SC1 as well.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I totally hated the super meter in SC5 and using it for Guard Impacts stunk. I just want a port of SC2 plus Dress Up mode minus the incredibly lovely online play of the previous PS3 port.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Same moveset though, he's just a skin for Nightmare in SC2 and IIRC SC1 as well.

Nope. He's only a skin in SC2, which is why it's not a good game.

Sigfried vs Nightmare battles were always the best and SC2 basically removed them.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Wipeout's supposed to be out in June right?

Week from today.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I totally hated the super meter in SC5 and using it for Guard Impacts stunk. I just want a port of SC2 plus Dress Up mode minus the incredibly lovely online play of the previous PS3 port.

I wasn't a fan of how turtle oriented 2 was with guard impact, and 3's version was completely useless since it took longer for the person impacting to recover than the person impacted thanks to the guard cancel glitch, though this was fixed in the arcade version. Personally I liked how guard impact was far more powerful but required resources to use in 5. In fact I loved how 5 let you burn meter to make certain moves safe, add armor properties, or shortcut complicated throw commands, and it's awesome that tekken 7 has adopted some of these features.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
SC2 is my favourite because I once demolished a dude in team attack with just Link, I almost bought the one that had Yoda in it but never bothered, well thats my Soul Calibur story

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The lack of Team Vs. in the newer SC games is garbage.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah, another reason why 3 was the best, it managed to have the largest character roster of the series without capitulating to garbage marketing whims by including awful, awful characters like: Link, Spawn, Heihachi, Starkiller, Yoda, Darth Vader, Ezio, Kratos, etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Counterpoint: SC2 Link owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Counterpoint: SC2 Link owned

Here we must part as friends. Goodbye sir, may your blade chip and shatter.