Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just getting into FF14 and the thread is talking about WoW and the problems with Titanforging.

:( I'm still having fun with 14 please don't ruin this for me thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

Before or after echo? Also how was your progress on Savage Second Coil?

The only people I see getting super upset about a slightly slower clear are assholes who largely think the are better than they actually are. I've never encountered a "gently caress you you're playing a paladin get out" thing. (I have seen a lot of people who refuse to let someone with a first clear bonus in which is an annoying catch-22 but they're also not suddenly going to accept you because you're playing a certain class.)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's like less than a month until the expansion so literally everyone is just shitposting up a storm, don't worry about it and have fun with the game

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Asema posted:

I'm just getting into FF14 and the thread is talking about WoW and the problems with Titanforging.

Don't listen to any of this. It's a good game, we're just very close to the expansion so everyone's poo poo posting and whining.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Honestly, the discussion over the last page or so has been fairly good, I think. Better than 99% of the shitposts in this thread.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish I had a taste for the Golden Saucer. It's kinda overwhelming whenever I go and I'm not big on minigames anyway, so I never bothered. Khloe gave me plenty of MGP when I used to do WT though, so I got to walk away with some Setzer gear. Bought the Rainmaker hair just to do it. I can't even decide if it looks good on me. What say you lads?

Current:

Rainmaker:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Belzac posted:

Before or after echo? Also how was your progress on Savage Second Coil?

Before, we did Rafflesia savage and then said gently caress that and had fun

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SonicRulez posted:

I wish I had a taste for the Golden Saucer. It's kinda overwhelming whenever I go and I'm not big on minigames anyway, so I never bothered. Khloe gave me plenty of MGP when I used to do WT though, so I got to walk away with some Setzer gear. Bought the Rainmaker hair just to do it. I can't even decide if it looks good on me. What say you lads?

Current:

Rainmaker:

Choose a different environment with better lighting so we can see it better. Or just take it for a test spin anyway because changing back is only another 2000 gil.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Asema posted:

Game is good I'm just bored at work

Don't let us stop you from having fun!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You can change your hair with in-game gil? Oh, well gently caress it then. I'm gonna spin the color and the hairstyle. First time since creation. I think the WoL needs a fresh look.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The only people I see getting super upset about a slightly slower clear are assholes who largely think the are better than they actually are. I've never encountered a "gently caress you you're playing a paladin get out" thing. (I have seen a lot of people who refuse to let someone with a first clear bonus in which is an annoying catch-22 but they're also not suddenly going to accept you because you're playing a certain class.)

I've never seen get super upset about this at all. What is your point here, other than "strangers on the internet can be jerks sometimes"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

You can change your hair with in-game gil? Oh, well gently caress it then. I'm gonna spin the color and the hairstyle. First time since creation. I think the WoL needs a fresh look.

Yes, it's 2000 gil from the anesthetic. (If you haven't unlocked them they're in Limsa.) And also you'll get like 5 free style changes for unlocking it so yeah.

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never seen get super upset about this at all. What is your point here, other than "strangers on the internet can be jerks sometimes"?

I was responding to his comment about how you'll "have a very hard time convincing anyone" to let you play a non-optimal class. Which just isn't true. Knowing the mechanics matters a lot more to people than what class you play most of the time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ImpAtom posted:

As I've been talking about the upper tier raiders entirely since I started talking about this, yes that's who I'm talking about. I'm not talking about first savage primal kills 3 weeks after they're released or echo raiding months later. That community was double edge sword of pressure to :gitgud: at the game, toxicity, drama, achievement, challenge, and a whole host of emotions (both positive and negative) that kept me glued to the game for 2 years. Ultimately for me the failings of SE to provide anything but mind numbing 15 minute raid fights 4 times every 6 months combined with unaddressed flaws in their combat system and balancing burned me out on the game. If you're playing xiv to read 400 pages of Aliphinad fanfiction every 3 months or dress up even more like an anime then more power to you, but that has no draw for me in the slightest.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 30, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sorry for the delayed response, was working -

But belzac 1. you can't compare warrior to paladin clears, but rather paladin to dark knight as they fit the same role. There are still more dark knight clears on A12S because it's a fight with groups of adds to collect that dark knight (right now) is significantly better. However, if you look at cruise chaser, almost double the amount of warriors over dark and pld (which makes sense because there's always a warrior), but the past few weeks have seen more PLD clears of A11S than Dark Knights.

Also our AST didn't hinder our progression because he's good. We've never been short on DPS or healing. It's always just executing mechanics.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

As I've been talking about the upper tier raiders entirely since I started talking about this, yes that's who I'm talking about. I'm not talking about first savage primal kills 3 weeks after they're released or echo raiding months later. That community was double edge sword of pressure to :gitgud: at the game, toxicity, drama, achievement, challenge, and a whole host of emotions (both positive and negative) that kept me glued to the game for 2 years. Ultimately for me the failings of SE to provide anything but mind numbing 15 minute raid fights 4 times every 6 months combined with unaddressed flaws in their combat system and balancing burned me out on the game. If you're playing xiv to read 400 pages of Aliphinad fanfiction every 3 months or dress up even more like an anime then more power to you, but that has draw to me in the slightest.

They couldn't do a major revamp of the combat system on a mid patch cycle. They are doing that for the expansion to fix a bunch of your issues.

Also there's really only ever been one 15 minute raid fight, and I agree with you that A8S is a dumb horrible fight, but at the same time, it's an incredible full fight to execute and is an amazing battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

As I've been talking about the upper tier raiders entirely since I started talking about this, yes that's who I'm talking about. I'm not talking about first savage primal kills 3 weeks after they're released or echo raiding months later. That community was double edge sword of pressure to :gitgud: at the game, toxicity, drama, achievement, challenge, and a whole host of emotions (both positive and negative) that kept me glued to the game for 2 years. Ultimately for me the failings of SE to provide anything but mind numbing 15 minute raid fights 4 times every 6 months combined with unaddressed flaws in their combat system and balancing burned me out on the game. If you're playing xiv to read 400 pages of Aliphinad fanfiction every 3 months or dress up even more like an anime then more power to you, but that has no draw for me in the slightest.

So you're talking about an absurdly small niche of an already absurdly small niche of the people who play FFXIV and think that the game should cater to them despite the fact that by your own admission it was full of toxicity and drama?

I mean if that's what you want, more power to you, but I don't think there's any real MMO on the planet that satisfies that particular urge.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 30, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I have trouble articulating this in a better manner, but essentially the weekly tome cap, gear from tomes, and staleness of the game that comes from patches that predictably keep adding new window dressing to the same game loop is wearing on me.

Maybe if there was anything interesting to do outside the loop? I may have alt jobs to play, but the tight loops ensures I can't gear them until my main is done with tomes. Dungeon gear always feels too low ilvl comparatively outside of 2.0 and 3.0 release.

I don't know what it want specifically, but I think it's just more to do via pve than the raid nights and capping tomes by running the same two dungeons every night. Maybe I should consider pvping more in SB?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FFXIV is better than wow imo if only because it looks better. Like, wow may have gotten visual updates over the years, but it still very much looks like a game from 2004.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nuru posted:

I have trouble articulating this in a better manner, but essentially the weekly tome cap, gear from tomes, and staleness of the game that comes from patches that predictably keep adding new window dressing to the same game loop is wearing on me.

Maybe if there was anything interesting to do outside the loop? I may have alt jobs to play, but the tight loops ensures I can't gear them until my main is done with tomes. Dungeon gear always feels too low ilvl comparatively outside of 2.0 and 3.0 release.

I don't know what it want specifically, but I think it's just more to do via pve than the raid nights and capping tomes by running the same two dungeons every night. Maybe I should consider pvping more in SB?

Yeah if there was something I liked from GW2 was that the overworld was massive and there was a ton of poo poo you could do outside the dungeon. In FF14 all you can really do in the overworld is uh... fates. A frustration with most of the combat stuff being limited to duties means I can't do something with just my friend and I, we have to deal with 2-22 randos to do things.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Mr. Nice! posted:

They couldn't do a major revamp of the combat system on a mid patch cycle. They are doing that for the expansion to fix a bunch of your issues.

Also there's really only ever been one 15 minute raid fight, and I agree with you that A8S is a dumb horrible fight, but at the same time, it's an incredible full fight to execute and is an amazing battle.

I've looked through the released changes for SB and it's addressed almost nothing at the baseline except making the utility of roles more homogenize and giving more co-op damage buffs out (which is the exact opposite of good imo). Anything above the baseline will have to wait till people are actually 70 and doing savage content to observe. Also it's their game, they can do changes whenever they want, they don't have to wait for a boxed release to address things like Balance being pure cancer to the community.

ImpAtom posted:

So you're talking about an absurdly small niche of an already absurdly small niche of the people who play FFXIV and think that the game should cater to them despite the fact that by your own admission it was full of toxicity and drama?

I mean if that's what you want, more power to you, but I don't think there's any real MMO on the planet that satisfies that particular urge.

I would say it's similar size to the niche of people that like Chocobo Racing. Probably bigger than the people who like Verminion or Diadem. Similar size to people who like crafting. Certainly smaller to people who care about giving their character a make over every other day. My points aren't that these play styles are bad individually (though definitely not my thing) but that the game isn't catering to anyone specifically. It's just shot gunning out random content, aimed at no one in particular, and then already moving onto the next shell before even taking a look to see what people are asking for. Also if you think toxicity and drama is a bad thing then you're not the type of person I can have a conversation with about raiding. Or any multiplayer content in general.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SonicRulez posted:

What say you lads?

The ears mess it up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

I would say it's similar size to the niche of people that like Chocobo Racing. Probably bigger than the people who like Verminion or Diadem. Similar size to people who like crafting. Certainly smaller to people who care about giving their character a make over every other day. My points aren't that these play styles are bad individually (though definitely not my thing) but that the game isn't catering to anyone specifically. It's just shot gunning out random content, aimed at no one in particular, and then already moving onto the next shell before even taking a look to see what people are asking for. Also if you think toxicity and drama is a bad thing then you're not the type of person I can have a conversation with about raiding. Or any multiplayer content in general.

Yeah, if what you want in an MMO is toxicity then we can't have a conversation and I also am 100% in favor of the game not catering to you and in fact doing everything it can to make sure you don't want to play.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
One of the main issues I have with SB currently is that they said they were going to address poo poo like damage debuffs causing some classes to be less appealing and their response was to put even more of them in the game and not touch the currently existing ones

Just give players more self-buffs instead of debuffs or make enemy debuffs only affect the player themselves, gently caress

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Leal posted:

Yeah if there was something I liked from GW2 was that the overworld was massive and there was a ton of poo poo you could do outside the dungeon. In FF14 all you can really do in the overworld is uh... fates. A frustration with most of the combat stuff being limited to duties means I can't do something with just my friend and I, we have to deal with 2-22 randos to do things.

The worthlessness of the overworld in FFXIV is a major gripe of mine. GW2 had some cool zone events, but gearing seemed to be a lot like fate trains hitting things in a precise order as a giant player ball. Legion almost did something good here with world quests, but they didn't end up being any more fun or engaging than fates are.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I like that someone saying "hey I don't like this game" spawned two pages and going of people trying to shout him down and how is opinions and personal experiences are wrong.

It's okay to not like the game guys. I'm also unsure of what the endgame for people arguing is. Do you expect him to fall to is knees and be like "oh you're right, my experience was wrong/didn't happen and now I suddenly love the game and am rehabbing right this second." Cause that's just silly.

People have different opinions. They'll like things you don't like and hate things you do. That doesn't make them wrong you silly geese

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Velthice posted:

It's okay to not like the game

It's not.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The reason Belzac liked FFXIV is the same reason I raided Naxxramas 40 five days a week in college to get clears that ranked. It's not my jam now, but I absolutely get it.

Even at the high end, FFXIV isn't that game.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
world quests are dumb because it'd be like if fates could drop shire gear. my mistweaver got practically heroic item level gear from a world quest that took literally fifteen seconds.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

nuru posted:

The reason Belzac liked FFXIV is the same reason I raided Naxxramas 40 five days a week in college to get clears that ranked. It's not my jam now, but I absolutely get it.

Even at the high end, FFXIV isn't that game.

Something is different about your avatar, can't quite place it but it's somehow even more glorious

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's not that he doesn't like FFXIV that makes it such an interesting conversation. It's quotes like:

Belzac posted:

Also if you think toxicity and drama is a bad thing then you're not the type of person I can have a conversation with about raiding. Or any multiplayer content in general.

Because that's a really loving crazy take.

edit: I totally get why he doesn't like the game and that's fine. I just like the crazy stuff he says about it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

UHD posted:

Something is different about your avatar, can't quite place it but it's somehow even more glorious

My God, the beard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

Also if you think toxicity and drama is a bad thing then you're not the type of person I can have a conversation with about raiding. Or any multiplayer content in general.

What do you mean by "toxicity" here, and why do you think it's good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd like to see more overworld 'events' that bring people together like the Odin thing. Those I find more interesting than Fates (even if it's just technically a big super-fate) and seem like they could be added with less work than a true boss and flexed around a bit for whatever the current story beats are.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Velthice posted:

I like that someone saying "hey I don't like this game" spawned two pages and going of people trying to shout him down and how is opinions and personal experiences are wrong.

I like going to bars full of Braves fans and talking about how much I dislike the Braves, too. (Fit any sports team in here that you like.)

I mean it's fine that he doesn't like the game as is, but the response is super predictable and deserved.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to see more overworld 'events' that bring people together like the Odin thing. Those I find more interesting than Fates (even if it's just technically a big super-fate) and seem like they could be added with less work than a true boss and flexed around a bit for whatever the current story beats are.

Oddly, HW added a few of these but made then nearly impossible to find because they didn't show up on the map.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Toxicity and drama are a natural personality trait in people and demanding that a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game not have those traits present is silly in my opinion. The harsh words, taking behind peoples backs, and spill over into progression wipes is as much a part of the game as the raids themselves for raiders. The goal obviously is to minimize the negative elements of group dynamics while forging your team but with the competitive players it takes to be at that level you're still going to have to deal with hurt feelings and some personnel (and personal) drama as your team progresses through tiers and real life.

The fact you don't understand this shines a light on how out of touch you are with that community of players. Like when I was big into XIV I didn't talk any poo poo on crafters. I recognized that crafting was so far outside my wheel house of knowledge that even if I vaguely had feelings about specialists or the scripts I just didn't say anything since I had no real idea how it was affecting crafters. Maybe you should take a page out of my book.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I like going to bars full of Braves fans and talking about how much I dislike the Braves, too. (Fit any sports team in here that you like.)

I mean it's fine that he doesn't like the game as is, but the response is super predictable and deserved.

I was asked my opinion and have been responding to people responding to me. You're disingenuous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Belzac posted:

Toxicity and drama are a natural personality trait in people and demanding that a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game not have those traits present is silly in my opinion.

The vast majority of online games I play either lack these things or discourage them when they exist. Even heavily competitive groups like the FGC discourage it in anything but the lightest of ways and tend to prioritize good sportsmanship. (And while those things exist in the community you only have to bring them up in any given conversation for people who are part of the community to swam in and go "No, see, that isn't US.") There are toxic assholes in every online community but nobody really wants there to be. Nobody is like "Aw yeah, man, I can't wait to sign on to Overwatch and get racial slurs screamed at me by a 14 year old."

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FaintlyQuaint posted:

I dream of a better world where we can all take criticism, regardless of merit, with serenity and grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

You can be very good & powerful at video games and, at the same time, not be a melodramatic manchild.

• Locked thread