Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Artist is "pro-feminisim"; places a tiny dog statue peeing on a little girl statue.

Progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

I'm not making the argument that he is supporting Kushner definitely because he's being paid to. I'm just saying he's just tanked his chances of winning any sort of Presidential nomination. No one is going to care about his political committee and whatever Senate politics he is working against, just he is a Democrat "defending" a member of the Trump administration and coincidentally the one who gave him money. If that Tweet can find that information then it's a lock his opponents will find it and it's a story that will find a lot more traction that Booker is actually trying to make his committee relevant.

You're really over estimating political memory. No one will remember that tweet unless Booker does something worse, like vote against convicting Trump.

The same people declaring Booker DOA are the same people who already declared Booker DOA due to his confirmation votes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sorry if this has already been posted but this is amazing

https://twitter.com/MikeLevinCA/sta...constituents%2F

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The statue looks like a slug/poop.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TildeATH posted:

The statue looks like a slug/poop.

That's just what Darrell Issa looks like

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The safest space is sitting atop a white building looking down upon the constituents

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

I hope someone puts up a fourth statue to make the dog look bad, and then someone responds to that with a fifth, and in a few months all of Wall Street looks like a giant bronze game of Exquisite Corpse.

I too hope that Wall Street makes an Exquisite Corpse, comrade.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Party Plane Jones posted:

So Wiegel responded to somebody about this Kathy Griffin thing that they refused to link:

https://twitter.com/TheAnonJournal/status/869618813289082880

Twitter is already abuzz with SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

While I agree that Trump is a piece of poo poo, I'm worried that stuff like this will cause the Democrats to lose in 2020

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

All the press and voters will look up and shout "Talk to us!"... and I'll whisper "oh god please leave me alone."

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Willo567 posted:

While I agree that Trump is a piece of poo poo, I'm worried that stuff like this will cause the Democrats to lose in 2020

If the Dems lose in 2020 it will not be because of Kathy Griffin jfc

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Willo567 posted:

Really?

Some random celeb holds an effigy *Dems lose 2020*

The actual nominee threatens protesters, brags about assaulting woman, has staff attack reporters *Republicans win 2016*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

You're really over estimating political memory. No one will remember that tweet unless Booker does something worse, like vote against convicting Trump.

The same people declaring Booker DOA are the same people who already declared Booker DOA due to his confirmation votes.

The 2019 Democratic primary will be a referendum on how much you stood up to Trump (even if it's just symbolically) and will be a ton of people trying not like 2016 where it was Hillary running effectively unopposed until Sanders jumped in. If Booker runs that statement will come back to haunt him because his opponents will remember.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Willo567 posted:

No one who would vote for Democrats is going to be put off by that.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The other angle:
https://twitter.com/DarrellIssa/status/869629827367743488

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Willo567 posted:

if kathy griffin ever does anything of real significance we are all doomed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Willo567 posted:

Nobody is going to remember this in 3 weeks let alone 3 years

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I agree it is dumb and hurts the messaging.

But Booker is on the Foreign Relations Committee. He wants his committee to investigate, hold hearings, and be involved. This seems like he wants to keep his committee relevant and give himself a platform and not that he is "defending Kushner" because Kushner gave him $2k like the tweet claimed.

2020 Debate
Booker: Says something about how he has changed his opinion on charter schools over time.
Trump: "My son-in-law bought you just like I bought Hillary. I can't be bought. America can see right through you." Then he gives him a childish nickname like Phony Baloney Booker.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

The 2019 Democratic primary will be a referendum on how much you stood up to Trump (even if it's just symbolically) and will be a ton of people trying not like 2016 where it was Hillary running effectively unopposed until Sanders jumped in. If Booker runs that statement will come back to haunt him because his opponents will remember.

You're assuming there are no developments or more important times to stand up to Trump. If Trump is impeached and convicted no one will loving care about this tweet when compared to the voting record.

Trying to bring up some years old tweet will only work if Booker's future behavior matches the tweet.

Spacebump posted:

2020 Debate
Any Dem: Says something
Trump: "My son-in-law bought you just like I bought Hillary. I can't be bought. America can see right through you" Then gives him a ridiculous nickname that they can't shake

Ftfy

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

I hope someone puts up a fourth statue to make the dog look bad, and then someone responds to that with a fifth, and in a few months all of Wall Street looks like a giant bronze game of Exquisite Corpse.

I hope someone lights off some thermite all over that loving bull.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Someone make a bronze status of a KKK dude holding the dogs leash.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Willo567 posted:

how is this in any way associated with the democrats? if crazy people out there are going to vote trump to stick it to imaginary liberals in their minds then you have zero control over whatever irrational poo poo is going on in their heads. dont buy into this stupid guilt trip mentality where you have to be nice to people to court their vote instead of just treating them like an adult because eventually they'll be all "well you didn't bend over and suck my dick so i voted for trump, i didn't move right the left just abandonded me"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
While it's true that the Kathy Griffin thing isn't going to drive away otherwise reasonable people who will now vote R, this is just the sort of thing that gives the Right even the tiniest opening to convince apolitical people to stay home and not vote at all, which does hurt the Dems.

And I'm not saying this event in isolation will do it, but holding up severed fake heads of the President is not something progressives should ever do. If this were some conservative shithead holding a severed Obama head in 2009 everyone here would be rightfully put off by it.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
:wow:

Spicer leaves on another hostile "fake news" note. I'm sure this will make the reporters be nicer to the Trump administration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone voting for Trump because liberals were too mean :qq: was voting for Trump anyway. On what planet were liberals of all people the toxic element from 2008-2016?

Unzip and Attack posted:

While it's true that the Kathy Griffin thing isn't going to drive away otherwise reasonable people who will now vote R, this is just the sort of thing that gives the Right even the tiniest opening to convince apolitical people to stay home and not vote at all, which does hurt the Dems.

The right spent eight years being colossal assholes in every way possible which culminated in their biggest stupidest rear end in a top hat winning the presidency. Those "apolitical" people are not apolitical if they somehow think that liberals being smug is worse than pussy grabbing guy that mocks the disabled.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why the Kathy Griffin thing is so big. Hell, didn't Manson do a video where a trump look-alike gets gruesomely murdered or something? Like, I get it, these guys are artists and they're gonna have extreme opinions on how Trump "should be dealt with", but let's not make mountains out of molehills.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

botany posted:

He said the same thing about Mexico. The US president literally has no idea what a trade deficit is, how that whole thing works, and how it ties into the national debt, aggregate demand and all those other things you're supposed to understand when you run a country.

To be fair, I wouldn't know what any of that poo poo is either and that's why you are supposed to have a competent and qualified Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of Commerce, and advisers who loving DO know so they can, you know, advise you.

The whole point of a cabinet is that you don't need to be an expert in everything as long as you have the ability to get help and advice from people who are.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

this is the party of fake news, blood cults, and pizza gate - they don't need anything grounded in reality to create openings to make people stay home. a huge portion of the united states electorate is disconnected from rational thought so we don't need to worry about the details of artistic statements driving crazy or ignorant people away

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

There is no way in 2019 that a Democrat that defended Jared Kushner while he was neck deep in the Trump Russia poo poo (and not even from prosecution, just from having his security credentials removed) is going to get the nomination. Then you add in his shady connections to that guy and it's even more impossible. That would take the DNC actually doing some real hook or by crook poo poo and I can't think they like Booker THAT much to lose a second election to Trump just for that and really destroy their party.

Yeah, Booker seems to have a lot of raw political talent but it's basically completely neutered by his apparently unshakable habit of going to bat for various hedge fund/wall street/etc guys.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Presumably you're also against punching Nazis because of the same reasons right?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

CNN frontpage is something else

Trump is back home -- angry and alone

The president has gained weight, turned inward, Gloria Borger writes

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

That dog statue would look nice besides one of the Trump ones.
Just make sure it's a female dog.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Booker seems to have a lot of raw political talent but it's basically completely neutered by his apparently unshakable habit of going to bat for various hedge fund/wall street/etc guys.

Booker has always been 98% Show horse.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

Presumably you're also against punching Nazis because of the same reasons right?

No I'm not but thanks for making yourself look even dumber than usual.

What I'm saying is that people on this forum rightly objected to Obama being hung in effigy back when he got elected. We also got mad at Sarah Palin for putting crosshairs on Gabby Giffords' district. Holding a fake severed head of the President of the United States is a call for violence against him personally. If you think someone should decapitate Donald Trump then sure, go ahead.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 30, 2017

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Haha his life is hell GLORIOUS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

evilweasel posted:

to be fair. People who work in those fields are a large portion of his constituents.

But it's going to screw him over when it comes time to win a Dem primary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HonorableTB posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't know what any of that poo poo is either

Yeah, but perhaps you might not be qualified to be President either.

The President needs a sufficient baseline of knowledge to know who is a qualified person, to make sense of what that qualified person is telling him, and to make good decisions when his qualified cabinet members disagree. None of the things he listed there are expert-level things. They are basic concepts you need to understand to have any capability to be the decision-maker in that area, even with advice from experts.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

No I'm not but thanks for making yourself look even dumber than usual.

How does a celeb holding an effigy give Republicans an ability to convince moderates to stay home, but political violence won't?

You're arguing people are more likely to change their voting behavior based on the mere existence of symbolic violence (the photo of an effigy) versus change their voting behavior based on actual violence (punching Nazi Trump supporters).

Meanwhile, endless violent memes from the right seem to not have stopped Trump and Republicans.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Him turning on himself is the only logical conclusion to his complete failure.

I hope he fires himself in a dream and never wakes up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HonorableTB posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't know what any of that poo poo is either and that's why you are supposed to have a competent and qualified Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of Commerce, and advisers who loving DO know so they can, you know, advise you.

The whole point of a cabinet is that you don't need to be an expert in everything as long as you have the ability to get help and advice from people who are.
The President of the United States should know those things. He doesn't have to have an in depth, nuanced understanding but he should have a strong familiarity with topics of economics, law, and political science. Trump doesn't have the basic understanding of a survey course in these topics. Advisors are there to supplement knowledge, not explain basic concepts of a field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

There's also an air of desperate ambition around everything he does that's a Hillary-level turnoff.

• Locked thread