Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

No doubt. I just enjoy seeing pasty rear end goons like you get red faced over a stranger's opinion on a TV show
For me, it's not that it's someone's opinion. What I don't like about it is that this exact thrust has been regurgitated multiple times on several different websites. The article itself was written nearly identically to other Silicon Valley outrage essays, tailored to generate site traffic, and intended to make you feel bad for liking a TV show, as if tastes are universal and handed down by the council of high and mighty internet pop culture critics. It's not a Silicon Valley thing, it's a thinkpiece thing, and in spite of the name, there's very little thought put into them.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Did they ever say who Laurie's baby daddy is?
Judging by the banner at her baby shower, somebody named Garcia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

get that OUT of my face posted:

For me, it's not that it's someone's opinion. What I don't like about it is that this exact thrust has been regurgitated multiple times on several different websites. The article itself was written nearly identically to other Silicon Valley outrage essays, tailored to generate site traffic, and intended to make you feel bad for liking a TV show, as if tastes are universal and handed down by the council of high and mighty internet pop culture critics. It's not a Silicon Valley thing, it's a thinkpiece thing, and in spite of the name, there's very little thought put into them.

Judging by the banner at her baby shower, somebody named Garcia.

It's best to ignore outrage from people who you disagree with, especially on dumb topics like a mike judge tv show, otherwise it's a long and angry life

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they ever do show Laurie's other kids, I really hope they don't do that lame "the kids are super sperglords just like the parent" trope.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It's best to ignore outrage from people who you disagree with, especially on dumb topics like a mike judge tv show, otherwise it's a long and angry life
I do my best but sometimes I get sucked in. Thinkpieces are the worst.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

If they ever do show Laurie's other kids, I really hope they don't do that lame "the kids are super sperglords just like the parent" trope.

It's also just as big a trope for them to be everyman non-nerds. So I hope they do something more interesting than either.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I hope the kid Erlich smacked is Laurie's.

blunt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 30, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

It'd be a great running joke if they continued the "Laurie has a perfectly normal life outside of work" reveal a little at a time. Turns out she's married, has 4 well adjusted kids (and is a great mom), volunteers at her church, etc. All to increasingly confused reactions from Monica.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My money is on Laurie being 100% normal and well-adjusted when she isn't working. A grade-A, top-tier mom.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I initially took issue with Jin Yang before they fleshed out his relationship with Erlich and then gave him a fuckton of funny moments that definitely were not at Jin Yang's expense.

I understand the initial annoyance. I don't blame normal people for taking issue with it.

Let's chill out with the outrage over supposed outrage.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 30, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Snak posted:

It's also just as big a trope for them to be everyman non-nerds. So I hope they do something more interesting than either.

The only safe and original option is to reveal that they are dead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I initially took issue with Jin Yang before they fleshed out his relationship with Erlich and then gave him a fuckton of funny moments that definitely were not at Jin Yang's expense.

I understand the initial annoyance. I don't blame normal people for taking issue with it.

Let's chill out with the outrage over supposed outrage.

Jin Yang for president, he gives hot dog apps away for free because he's rich.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sometimes you gotta step back, take a deep breath, and read this article about internet outrage culture to put things into perspective. It's been two and a half years since Drew Magary wrote this and it only gets proven more right with every stupid internet take.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I didn't know that article existed, but it's a wonderful validation of what I've been seeing. I am pretty much ready to burn the internet down at this point. Cheesy Wonder Woman pun on my facebook feed? Decried for being anti-woman. Someone said "Happy Memorial Day" to you? Here's an article they should read. Share a post about a good dad? Someone will say it shouldn't be remarkable when someone is a good dad. It turns out Kate Upton is attractive? This is body shaming someone I've never heard of. All day, every day.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I didn't know that article existed, but it's a wonderful validation of what I've been seeing. I am pretty much ready to burn the internet down at this point. Cheesy Wonder Woman pun on my facebook feed? Decried for being anti-woman. Someone said "Happy Memorial Day" to you? Here's an article they should read. Share a post about a good dad? Someone will say it shouldn't be remarkable when someone is a good dad. It turns out Kate Upton is attractive? This is body shaming someone I've never heard of. All day, every day.
huh?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pick up some hobbies

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Pick up some hobbies
I just follow you around SA trying to get your attention.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
??

Never seen you post before, but that was a long sad screed and I want you to feel better friend

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is the opening scrawl to the internet-era remake of Falling Down.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SHOAH NUFF posted:

No doubt. I just enjoy seeing pasty rear end goons like you get red faced over a stranger's opinion on a TV show

You yourself okay?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

i am the bird posted:

This is the opening scrawl to the internet-era remake of Falling Down.

🍆-Fence

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Toast Museum posted:

That seems pretty even-handed to me. I think their concerns make sense, and "the writers should think this through" is not "everyone is a monster, cancel right now."

He purposely forgets to men Ed Chen, asian silicon valley bro, then pretends that the white people (specifically Erlich for some reason) have it mostly together when almost all of them are trainwrecks in their own right. Jian-yang isn't even written dumb. He's still living rent free afterall, and he nearly cornered the market for pedophiles.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/nottjmiller/status/869388567654432768

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jian-Yang tricked Erlich into letting him live there for free. Trolled Erlich with a recipe app. Screwed Erlich out of millions of dollars. I think he's doing just fine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Jian-Yang tricked Erlich into letting him live there for free. Trolled Erlich with a recipe app. Screwed Erlich out of millions of dollars. I think he's doing just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKup-Edjx9Y

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aww, the guy who dubs his voice in Spanish...

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Harry posted:

He purposely forgets to men Ed Chen, asian silicon valley bro, then pretends that the white people (specifically Erlich for some reason) have it mostly together when almost all of them are trainwrecks in their own right. Jian-yang isn't even written dumb. He's still living rent free afterall, and he nearly cornered the market for pedophiles.

I don't think you can speak to her intentions, but she claims that the show's Asian characters fall into typical "cunning" or "imitator" stereotypes, and Ed Chen is arguably an example of the former. She specifically cites Jian Yang as an example of the same—his app idea is bad, but he's sneaky and gets one over on Erlich.

She doesn't claim that the white characters are all put together, but that the best-at-what-they-do characters are all white, and that among the white characters there is a whole spectrum of character types, from visionary Peter Gregory to lucky dummy Big Head.

Again, the thesis is not "the Asian characters are dumb failures, the white characters are perfect geniuses, and the show should be cancelled."

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
It's a hollow argument because really the Asian characters are not portrayed any more or less inept or conniving than their white counterparts. And Erlich's racism is skewered rather than validated--although I'm sure audiences can take it any way they like. Further, Jian Yang isn't taking advantage of Erlich any more or less than Erlich is trying to take advantage of Jian Yang in return, or Bighead.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 31, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Snak posted:

No, but considering it's apparently her fourth kid, she's probably married or cloning herself or something.

Laurie's cloning herself to one-up Galvin and keep herself alive til she's 180.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Toast Museum posted:

I don't think you can speak to her intentions, but she claims that the show's Asian characters fall into typical "cunning" or "imitator" stereotypes, and Ed Chen is arguably an example of the former. She specifically cites Jian Yang as an example of the same—his app idea is bad, but he's sneaky and gets one over on Erlich.

She doesn't claim that the white characters are all put together, but that the best-at-what-they-do characters are all white, and that among the white characters there is a whole spectrum of character types, from visionary Peter Gregory to lucky dummy Big Head.

Again, the thesis is not "the Asian characters are dumb failures, the white characters are perfect geniuses, and the show should be cancelled."
That's not how it happened at all. Erlich gives him the idea for the hot dog/not hot dog app and then he runs with it. He wasn't being sneaky at any point, Erlich just screwed himself out of the deal like always. The author did the same thing with the Dinesh losing because Gilfoyle says so. Basically twisted a scene around to prove their point.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Basically everything Jian Yang has done to screw over Erlich was out of frustration of now being able to do what he wanted.

My impression of Jian Yang is that he is a person who is a victim of the "get a cs degree and go to silicon valley and get rich" pitch. It's nothing like he was told it would be and he never gets to do anything that he wants. He's real bitter about it, and Erlich is literally the figurehead for the lies and exploitation he is subjected to, so it makes sense that he pulls one over when he can. Which is mostly when Erlich explains to him how hard it is to evict someone and then tries to evict him...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jian Yang is great and Gilfoyle is the only character ever shown as consistently competent at anything.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Donald is the most competent character.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One of the best gags on the the show imo is how Gilfoyle gets his green card renewed in the time it takes Dinesh to park the car.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Jin yang is hugely probrematic. I'm not surprised if gamer gate would defend it.

lol

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
The article's criticism of Dinesh is particularly dumb. Dinesh created the entire video platform on his own. That clearly shows him to be an exceptionally skilled programmer. He's a terribly flawed human being in many ways, but to say he is a "dumb" character is just wrong.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

Donald is the most competent character.

Who?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Donald. Donald. Donald. Jared. Jared...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy O. Yang/Jian Yang is single-handedly keeping the word "owning" alive.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Erlich, is the refrigerator running? This is Mike Hunt, and he's rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

The article's criticism of Dinesh is particularly dumb. Dinesh created the entire video platform on his own. That clearly shows him to be an exceptionally skilled programmer. He's a terribly flawed human being in many ways, but to say he is a "dumb" character is just wrong.

For real. He was bad at being a CEO, just like all of the characters would be. But he created piperchat.

• Locked thread